Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Because playing on a game on a Nintendo console is a different feeling than playing a game on a PC.

I had Earthbound on my PC since like 1998, only a few years after it came out for the SNES. I could never really get into it. I bought it on the eShop for $10 and was immersed into it because there was just something authentic about the whole thing. It's hard to explain and I'm sure if you don't agree with it you'll consider it stupid but playing even Legend of Zelda through Animal Crossing on Gamecube feels like a more genuine experience than playing it on an emulator. It just feels right.
It's probably because you paid money for it and therefore felt a need to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also you probably were just playing with a keyboard on your PC 15 years ago and using a keyboard for console games is often not that fun.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro7x posted:

The Basic system is what they are going to be bundling with Wii U Party and Just Dance 2014

So they are!

I made the clearly stupid assumption they wouldn't relaunch the product they discontinued 2 weeks ago, but here we are.

Mr. Mojangles posted:

Like, they should be able to afford to not sell age old games over and over again, but use free access to classic games as a way to move their new hardware.

I'd guess that people interested in playing older Nintendo games are probably the same people who bought a Wii U on launch because it's a Nintendo. Same people are the ones that are willing to pay $10 for Earthbound and thank Nintendo for the chance.

edit: the bundles are listed on the Nintendo shop at £249, all three the same.

I hope that's wrong.

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 10, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In all honesty, part of the problem in attempting to use "you can play old games in the virtual console" to sell the Wii U is that a lot of people already had a Wii sold to them that way.. and that already has a whole bunch of games playable on it even though they aren't putting out any new ones for the Wii itself.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Edmund Honda posted:

So they are!

I made the clearly stupid assumption they wouldn't relaunch the product they discontinued 2 weeks ago, but here we are.

They are probably repackaging a bunch of Basic models that got returned because nobody was buying them...

If all three are priced the same then the Mario/Luigi combo is really the best value out of all the bundles.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Mr. Mojangles posted:

Am I crazy, or would this let Nintendo sell a poo poo ton of Wii U's:

Wii U games are sold normally, physically and through the e-shop
however, they give you access to a huge library of classic Nintendo titles with the purchase of a console.

Like, they should be able to afford to not sell age old games over and over again, but use free access to classic games as a way to move their new hardware.

I don't think the demand is there. Twenty year old sidescrollers - whoop dee doo.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Install Windows posted:

Also you probably were just playing with a keyboard on your PC 15 years ago and using a keyboard for console games is often not that fun.

Hammerhead FX baby. Dual stick with four shoulder buttons and six buttons on the front. I still own two of them because it's the easiest way for me to play PC games that are in the style of console games.

Still wasn't right.

Almost Smart posted:

I don't think the demand is there. Twenty year old sidescrollers - whoop dee doo.

You sound like a movie executive dismissing Netflix. That said I think Nintendo is better off selling the games per item, only price the game by its worth and demand and not some silly "All NES games are $5"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Hammerhead FX baby. Dual stick with four shoulder buttons and six buttons on the front. I still own two of them because it's the easiest way for me to play PC games that are in the style of console games.

Still wasn't right.

You sound like a movie executive dismissing Netflix. That said I think Nintendo is better off selling the games per item, only price the game by its worth and demand and not some silly "All NES games are $5"

You can get current movies and series on Netflix. You can't get current video games on Wii U.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

You can get current movies and series on Netflix. You can't get current video games on Wii U.

But you can get Netflix on Wii U.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I don't think that idea makes a lot of business sense, because then you'd get a lot of people buying WiiUs, but not buying any games, and the games are where you actually make money.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Nobody would be buying a Wii U for Virtual Console games and nothing more. Let's just be honest...

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Astro7x posted:

Nobody would be buying a Wii U. Let's just be honest...

Honesty restored.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So what does this even mean? 0 x 685 is still zero...

Wii U UK sales spike 685% on Zelda launch

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Astro7x posted:

It means people buy Wii Us when big games come out on it.

It seems obvious to me that it's going to pick up steam with each major release, I don't think it's going to be the most successful console ever but I could see it end up pretty decent.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 11, 2013

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mr. Mojangles posted:

Am I crazy, or would this let Nintendo sell a poo poo ton of Wii U's:

Wii U games are sold normally, physically and through the e-shop
however, they give you access to a huge library of classic Nintendo titles with the purchase of a console.

They should absolutely leverage their back catalog games to move more consoles. Plenty of people went and bought a 3DS during that window when they knew they'd get the free ambassador games, and I've seen several folks report that they bought a Vita just because they had accumulated a shitload of free PS+ games for the thing. They don't even need to give you a huge library, either. Offer a couple of free games per month that you have to download within that window to have access to. That gets people going to the eshop once a month where they'll be exposed to ads for any new games that are available that they may be tempted to buy.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Astro7x posted:

That sounds nice, but it really is meaningless without knowing the previous week's numbers.

Just to put in perspective just how bad things are in Europe though: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85665421&postcount=160

quote:

We got French monthly Wii U numbers a couple of months back. Let's assume the French market is equivalent to the UK market for the Wii U (I realize the UK market is smaller for Nintendo hardware, but let's just operate under this assumption).

In June 2013 the Wii U sold 3,242 in France, or ~811 consoles every week. So, a 685% increase on ~811 consoles would be ~5,555 sold in one week.

Extremely optimistically the Wii U sold ~10,000 consoles.last week in the UK.

However, it's more likely the Wii U sold ~5,000 consoles.

It's probably even less than that because France is Nintendo's biggest market in Europe and sales will likely have gone down the last couple of weeks in anticipation of the bundle.

e: This also doesn't mean much if the bump isn't sustained for at least a few weeks. Still, it's way better than what happened in Japan :)

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 11, 2013

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Kurtofan posted:

It means people buy Wii Us when big games come out on it.

So, 685 WiiU's were sold?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Fat_Cow posted:

Math does not work that way :argh:

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Crowbear posted:

Math does not work that way :argh:

Oh yes it does :smug:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fat_Cow posted:

it increased by 685%, so instead of one console they sold seven and most of an eighth (a piece must have fallen off).

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Well, this is making the rounds...

Oh, oh Nintendo. Oh this is just sad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

They've done that in like every Pokemon game

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Yeah, they did the same with Red/Blue/Yellow for the Super Nintendo, Gold/Silver/Crystal for the N64, and so on. It's nothing new.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JAssassin posted:

Yeah, they did the same with Red/Blue/Yellow for the Super Nintendo, Gold/Silver/Crystal for the N64, and so on. It's nothing new.

Also for some reason R/B had Stand By Me playing on the TV screen in the house but I'm sure that'll become part of the nintenspiracy when they announce that Steven King's The Shining 2: The Videogame is going to exclusively come to the WiiU.

Edit: I don't think the old games felt the need to point out the systems features though but its been ages.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Haha, what the gently caress is this post. They've done that stuff in almost every pokemon game.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Wii U sales spike 589% as Pokemon owners learn system exists, has screen in gamepad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Haha, what the gently caress is this post. They've done that stuff in almost every pokemon game.

No you don't get it. Nintendo referenced their latest product in Pokemon. This is a sign of desperation and not something they've done with literally every single product they have including the Virtual Boy.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Sorry I don't play Pokemon I guess? Wow, you seem really angry about it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Crowbear posted:

That sounds nice, but it really is meaningless without knowing the previous week's numbers.

Unfortunately, the only place I can think of that does hardware charts for the UK, is subscription based.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

TheEggsBenedict posted:

No, it's a clear sign that the WiiU is dead and Nintendo will be filing for bankruptcy shortly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Oh, well if he's really angry about it I guess that means you're right and he's wrong.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

He's not the one seeing a cute recurring easter egg as a sign of Nintendo's sure demise.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
How would I know it is a recurring easter egg? I guess I should go and play every single pokemon game first to make sure it's a reference and not just a sad "Hey guys, The WiiU exists" insert into a game that actually sells on a device Nintendo makes that actually sells?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

How would I know it is a recurring easter egg? I guess I should go and play every single pokemon game first to make sure it's a reference and not just a sad "Hey guys, The WiiU exists" insert into a game that actually sells on a device Nintendo makes that actually sells?

You might have too much invested into the whole Nintendo is doomed mindset if you see it as the second.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

You're coming off as defensive. You could have said "oh, I didn't know that" as opposed to all of this.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Nintendo isn't doomed, though. I've never said, or even inferred as much.

The WiiU, on the other hand, is a barely animate corpse.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

You could point out how Nintendo sends messages to Wii's saying basically that, instead of reaching with that. Or how that should be their strategy, because no one knows what it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Because you're coming in here going "it's sad, it's sad" because Nintendo referenced one of their own products in a video game. Like even if this wasn't a reoccurring easter egg, it's stretching for something to be negative about. Nintendo making references to their own stuff happens all the time in tons of their games. Reading anything but "Oh, it's an easter egg" into it is a pretty clear sign that you've invested a bit too much into console warring.

There's more than enough to be negative about with the Wii U that you really don't need to start stretching. It's doing a fine job of that on its own.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 12, 2013

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It's still stupid and shameless, regardless of whether they've done it in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Nintendo and their second parties will never let an opportunity pass to reference something. Even if that something is a failure, not liked or just flat out unknown to the gaming populace.

Your mom could waste money you sent to her on a Virtual Boy to put in your room in Pokemon Gold and Silver. My Mii wears a goddamn R.O.B. on his head for Mii Plaza street-pass purposes.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 12, 2013

• Locked thread