Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Len posted:

Are you doing the missions NPCs give you? If you are, especially the investigations, then the game might not be for you.

I am, and so far the investigations are the only reason I'm still playing. It's just that most missions are Kill 3 dudes, find a Dude Lair, kill the Big Dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Elswyyr posted:

I am, and so far the investigations are the only reason I'm still playing. It's just that most missions are Kill 3 dudes, find a Dude Lair, kill the Big Dude.
I'm not a fan of the kill quests either and unfortunately they get more numerous in later zones (to the point you get certain "investigation" missions which are just thinly veiled combat tasks).

To some extent this is a "welcome to MMOs" issue, but sabotage and investigation missions are usually really nice, and the story mission chain has a bit of everything. There are also a lot of side missions which are often light on combat. Dungeon quests are continously "kill the next boss" but at the same time a lot of the dungeons have pretty interesting plots. Definitely get a group and do them, the LFG tool helps and so do the goon communication channels (awful chat and Mumble, that is).

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Len posted:

I'm not against slumming it in elites to help people out. Add me ingame as EvilBillMurray and on steam as roxormancer. I can probably even shake up a couple others to get you geared up for gatekeeper.

Thanks, I'll add you next time I'm on.

elhondo posted:

You mean Ankh normal, not elite, right? If that's the case, run it as dps, and just skip tanking it, until you don't need anything.

The progression for tanks moves smoothly from Polaris->HR->DW, but for Ankh, the gear from DW won't cut it. You pretty much need the drops from Ankh to run Ankh.

And I have the same complaints about end-game geared pubbies "helping" on normal runs. They should suck it up and just tank instead of trying to dps and wrecking any possibility of a balanced group.

Yeah normal, I just started playing a few weeks ago. I think a lot of it comes down to simple envy, i.e. "I should be the center of the fight with my 2.7k DPS, getting all the heals and ladies. I'm going to show 'em what I got. Aw, yeah come at me. Heals. HEAls!! *Dead* gently caress you tank, can't Hold aGGro! /ragequit"

I just want to play with competent people, or those who are willing to learn.

Clairetic posted:

Step 1: Slot misdirect
Step 2: Use it on the person getting all the heals
Step 3: Use a bunch of high-threat abilities

Congratulations, your pubbie idiot is now the tank :)

That is beautiful. I am going to do that for no other reason than I have something to threaten DPS with in 5-mans.

The stuff in the Turbulence and Subversion trees is a part of typical character progression in other MMORPGs,, but even then it doesn't mean people will use it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Does Misdirect actually work now? Historically it's done literally nothing.

Elswyyr, if you're just barreling through the main story missions, the game will be very short and boring. Do other quests and don't move on to new areas for a while. Most of the game's charm is in its really, really twisted lore and its good characters.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

guppy posted:

Well, that's disappointing. I haven't tested it, I just saw it in the tree and thought it would be fun to use in a situation like this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

Elswyyr, if you're just barreling through the main story missions, the game will be very short and boring. Do other quests and don't move on to new areas for a while. Most of the game's charm is in its really, really twisted lore and its good characters.

I don't know but I'm going to find out next time I run a dungeon with Zepho.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kumo posted:

Thanks, I'll add you next time I'm on.

Yeah normal, I just started playing a few weeks ago. I think a lot of it comes down to simple envy, i.e. "I should be the center of the fight with my 2.7k DPS, getting all the heals and ladies. I'm going to show 'em what I got. Aw, yeah come at me. Heals. HEAls!! *Dead* gently caress you tank, can't Hold aGGro! /ragequit"

I just want to play with competent people, or those who are willing to learn.
I'm basically in the same boat as you since I've been playing casually and haven't done any normal dungeons other than Polaris. I'm up to Transylvania now so I'm probably overgeared for normal dungeons but I'd still be interested if you're looking for another warm body. I'm Eidolonics on Grim (not that server seems to matter for this sort of stuff).

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
The AMA is going on right now. Joel pointed out an update about PVP that I'd missed. Key things: Shambala will eventually come back as a team deathmatch arena, and will not be faction-specific (hi hugh), and the PvP dungeon probably isn't happening for at least a year.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So after I discovered how to usurp control of a cabal I posted about it on testlive.

quote:

Thanks for the info. The coup exploit has been in the code for a long time, as far as I know, and I can't say if or when it will be altered.

For the time being, GMs will promote/demote characters as necessary to redress any cabal coups that do happen.

So yes they know and are aware that someone could set himself to the only rank 5 in a cabal, steal everything and disband. It will get fixed maybe someday.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

So after I discovered how to usurp control of a cabal I posted about it on testlive.

So yes they know and are aware that someone could set himself to the only rank 5 in a cabal, steal everything and disband. It will get fixed maybe someday.
It's good TSW doesn't have a lot of players or they would have a fuckton of work restoring cabals :haw:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I wonder what happens if I do that then leave the cabal with no people able to promote/demote. My experiences with GMs is just being told "We can't do that"

Edit:

quote:

The cabal would not be broken in this case, because another member would be promoted to the top rank.

Griefing, yes, I think that'd be the right term for it.
:allears:

Len fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 9, 2013

RhandomAccess
Oct 26, 2010

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody.
So I tried to like this game but failed.
it reminds me of beta.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RhandomAccess posted:

it reminds me of beta.

Alright.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yep.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Our team finished the Secret World today.

(YOU in this picture is Cheston, on the leech heals.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

guppy posted:

(YOU in this picture is Cheston, on the leech heals.)

I hit a new Transfuse record earlier on that run. 33763 damage. Waitin' on you, Augments.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Cheston posted:

Do manifestations no longer advance Elemental Force?

Now I bet you there's a build in that. Build to 7 and drop 3 mani's, a shotgun turret and the Elite Turret and watch all the crit's roll in. Wonder if it's worth trying?

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013

RhandomAccess posted:

it reminds me of beta.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
A constantly repeated thanks to the mumble goons for getting me through the elites slog with minimum anima well swimming involved. Except when I didn't win at Dr. Klein Says. But I'll get better, I promise.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

motoh posted:

A constantly repeated thanks to the mumble goons for getting me through the elites slog with minimum anima well swimming involved. Except when I didn't win at Dr. Klein Says. But I'll get better, I promise.
Yeah, it was great having you run me and motoh through stuff and we'll return the favour by someday actually contributing to things, honest.

I have so many SP/AP and so much blue gear now. Pretty princess ahoy!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

fullTimeLurker posted:

Now I bet you there's a build in that. Build to 7 and drop 3 mani's, a shotgun turret and the Elite Turret and watch all the crit's roll in. Wonder if it's worth trying?

You'd probably want to regear any and all crit rating into crit power if that works, right? Since everything will crit automatically.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hah, if anyone is up to do that it's you guys with your thousands of saved up bullions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Hah, if anyone is up to do that it's you guys with your thousands of saved up bullions.

I think I'm the only one with thousands right now. These scrubs need to get on my level.

Edit: Server is back up and the only patch note is they're getting ready to patch in the next phase of the Agartha event.

Len fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 10, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

I think I'm the only one with thousands right now. These scrubs need to get on my level.

Edit: Server is back up and the only patch note is they're getting ready to patch in the next phase of the Agartha event.

I used to have thousands saved up and then I started buying pvp gear with my pve bullions. This effectively pissed off every one of those pvp'rs who worked so hard exploiting for their black marks that I felt like I won TSW for a couple days, tears are the best judge of accomplishment in games like this.

And that getting ready to patch in the next phase pulled out the custodian vendor. But there might be a way to convert fragments into slivers (1:4 ratio), or not. Guess it depends on your ability to believe people still data mine this poo poo trap.

guppy posted:

You'd probably want to regear any and all crit rating into crit power if that works, right? Since everything will crit automatically.

A build like this doesn't work. A single mani will not push the counter forward but using several will. Funcom?

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 10, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Outfit contest completed. Psychiatric Patient for the men, and... for gently caress's sake, Ballistic Veil for the women. :suicide:

Not a shred of a mention for how close it came, either The announcement puts it at the same level as Agartha Explorer, which actually didn't get all that many votes.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
New hungry box is up. 1 pure dust and 2 pure fire gives 7 slivers (through ambrosia creation and turn in), at least they were smart enough to change the requirements. There is also a new custodian selling purple glyphs, and the old custodian is back selling golden bee gloves and some fiery eyes, and the fortold ability to exchange 1 fragment for 4 slivers.

To get to the new portal:
  • Drop down to the Egypt path between the inactive portal and Seoul portal.
  • Look Down.
  • Leap of Faith.

Changes to the last two phases hungry boxes:
Phase 3: 1 pure dust and 2 pure water. Awards 9 slivers.
Phase 4: 1 of each pure rune. Awards 12 slivers.
It is possible they will change these numbers again, though I doubt it now.

There is supposedly a lore on the portal, still looking for it.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 11, 2013

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

HughGRect posted:

There is supposedly a lore on the portal, still looking for it.

Apparently lore was up before downtime, gone since.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Only now do I realize that, for some reason, I seem to have much less pure fire than I do every other pure material. Hm. That's not cool.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
All of the slivers poo poo is so expensive. loving Funcom. This is insane.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

guppy posted:

All of the slivers poo poo is so expensive. loving Funcom. This is insane.

Worst part is that the slivers are more expensive as well. Used to be 1 pure material (metal) for 5 slivers. Now it is 3 pure materials for 7 slivers. At least the metal market will have time to recover after that last holocaust.

Oh hey, testlive update. Scenarios have voice overs now, and Venice has an agartha portal and NPC's are showing up there as well. No vendors just yet.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 12, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Also, the Runic Automaton is now 100 fragments instead of 75.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zephonith posted:

Also, the Runic Automaton is now 100 fragments instead of 75.
Grindy events are the best events. I guess I won't even bother :(

Is the previous stages' lore still available?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I might buy the fiery blue eyes. Although I doubt they can be used with the horse head.

All the previous items seem to still be there, right? So we don't have to decide now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

guppy posted:

I might buy the fiery blue eyes. Although I doubt they can be used with the horse head.

All the previous items seem to still be there, right? So we don't have to decide now.

The eyes and the horsehead can technically be worn together, but the eyes aren't visible through the mask.

The fiery eyes are reskins of the golden glowing eyes from the gold golem event, if that helps you accessorize with them before buying.

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!
I really want the whole Bee Commando uniform but something tells me it will be prohibitively, insanely expensive and require perpetual grinding. :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yue posted:

I really want the whole Bee Commando uniform but something tells me it will be prohibitively, insanely expensive and require perpetual grinding. :(
Same, but the amounts of pure whatever alone is insane, and Joel can talk about "escalation" all day, it's still kinda lovely.

The forums thread on the event is pretty hilarious though, with people like this guy:

quote:

All I can say is, datamining is a worst form of metagaming. Just a tad worse than spying with disposable alts.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

Always followed by a chorus of "What the gently caress are you wearing?!" when I join a group.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Please. Amateur.

demoneyespaul
Sep 14, 2007

PIATPIATPIAT!
I always try for a more "serious" look:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004