Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ez posted:

I always defend Adam when people call him sexist, racist etc. but I can't defend the fact that he really really hates poor people. This thing where he thinks all poor people are lazy and stupid comes from his black and white, concrete thinking based solely on his experiences. His parents were poor and lazy, therefore all poor people are lazy. Adam wasn't bullied in school, therefore bullying doesn't exist. He has never known a person with peanut allergies, therefore nobody has peanut allergies. He also still hasn't realized that things like passionfruit iced tea, weird club sandwiches and fingerprinting coaches are primarily LA things and the rest of the world isn't like that, but LA is where he lives and therefore its the entire planet. I think Adam is a pretty smart person generally but that's the most basic, primitive mindset you can have.

Also because some service people are rude to him, all workers everywhere are horrible people and "We're building a society..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Ez posted:

I always defend Adam when people call him sexist, racist etc. but I can't defend the fact that he really really hates poor people. This thing where he thinks all poor people are lazy and stupid comes from his black and white, concrete thinking based solely on his experiences. His parents were poor and lazy, therefore all poor people are lazy. Adam wasn't bullied in school, therefore bullying doesn't exist. He has never known a person with peanut allergies, therefore nobody has peanut allergies. He also still hasn't realized that things like passionfruit iced tea, weird club sandwiches and fingerprinting coaches are primarily LA things and the rest of the world isn't like that, but LA is where he lives and therefore its the entire planet. I think Adam is a pretty smart person generally but that's the most basic, primitive mindset you can have.

I'm largely with you, but Adam would be the first to admit that LA is completely hosed up compared to the rest of the country, and always talks about how much better all other cities are whenever he travels. He talks about it because that's where he lives, but I'm sure if you called him on it, he'd be excited to tell you that LA is a pile of poo poo.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I dunno if any if you guys watch Bill Maher but the end of his most recent show was a 5 minute long rant about how California is the #1 best place on earth to be and is the source of all positive cultural movement. The whole time I couldn't help but wish Adam heard it. He'd never shut up about it for a year, easy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Why was Adam poor growing up? I thought his dad was/is a psychologist or psychiatrist or something. Didn't he give Ray therapy for like 15-20 years?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Red posted:

Why was Adam poor growing up? I thought his dad was/is a psychologist or psychiatrist or something. Didn't he give Ray therapy for like 15-20 years?

He always says that his parents were in 'saving money mode' instead of 'making money mode'. I think they were just really cheap.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Red posted:

I'm pretty sure his dad just worked at a special ed school, so I doubt he was making huge money. His mom was on welfare, and his dad probably made a somewhat-decent living, but just wasn't interested in spending money.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Red posted:

He was a counselor I think. I'm not sure what it took to call yourself a psychologist in California in the 70s, but psychiatrists are real doctors and make poo poo tons of money who also have to work their asses off everyday like any other doctor. My counselor in high school on the other hand, had a Bachelor's in sociology, couldn't spell, and told me I was a piece of poo poo. Counselors don't really make any money.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ez posted:

New thread title: The Adam Carolla Show - More Fun to Analyze Than Listen To

Ez is dead on.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Adam's dad was a substitute teacher and later a therapist. On the radio show his dad said his best year income wise was in the mid 40k's. And I think that was when Adam was already out of the house.

His mom was an "academic" that was on welfare and lived on her mother's dime.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Doesn't Adam's mom have, like, a Chicano studies degree?

"How should I know?"

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

JGdmn posted:

Chicano Studies major. Credit where it's due man.

EFB: "Aww great"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The best story is his Dad lived on his in-laws couch for a year or so AFTER they had broken up.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I forgot to come back say that Fug Lee Snowbank is probably one of my new favorite bits they've done in a long loving time. That was great, and I wish it was a sitcom.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Veskit posted:

I forgot to come back say that Fug Lee Snowbank is probably one of my new favorite bits they've done in a long loving time. That was great, and I wish it was a sitcom.
I also liked the 10 minute buttplugs jag he went off on. I can't remember which episode it was though, I think it was last week sometime.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Pretty good Adam and Drew Show today. I did a spit take with my coffee when Adam said "sucked off the Rugby team", for some reason that really cracked me up.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Did anyone find Titus real bad on that podcast? His story took up half the show and sort of went nowhere. Normally don't mind him but found him real unfunny on that show.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I dunno...Titus wasn't comedy gold, but at least he got to tell a story. I appreciated it for that.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

I assume it was him who kept sucking his teeth into the microphone. It got really annoying.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Man his live shows are getting really rowdy. He should stop encouraging them so much and nip that poo poo in the bud before he has people walking up on stage or something.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Man his live shows are getting really rowdy. He should stop encouraging them so much and nip that poo poo in the bud before he has people walking up on stage or something.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, it's getting to be a problem. His whole informal vibe and format really does encourage people shouting poo poo especially when they're drunk. I've never understood how people get comfortable enough to shout out answers to mostly rhetorical and bullshit questions comedians ask.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

visuvius posted:

I've never understood how people get comfortable enough to shout out answers to mostly rhetorical and bullshit questions comedians ask.
Alcohol.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JGdmn posted:

Adam's dad was a substitute teacher and later a therapist. On the radio show his dad said his best year income wise was in the mid 40k's. And I think that was when Adam was already out of the house.

Yikes.

It does make a little more sense, though, to hear Adam explain how his parents were aggressively cheap. As in, his dad would rather drive 20 miles to look for gas that was 10 cents cheaper than use the gas station near their house.

And anybody who's the primary income earner for a family who stays a sub teacher for more than 6 months is doing it really, really wrong.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bryan's book is going to be the end of the show. At least it gave us this nugget about Jack Silver in a halloween costume.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I hope Bryan's book is as great as he is at TTTTTT to just spite all your dumb faces.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I have to ask, is the Lars Larson episode as bad as it sounds? Live show in Portland with a hack conservative radio host who thinks Plan B is equivalent to abortion. By the way, this is Adam from 10 years ago. Now he considers the people he called "retards who couldn't get laid in high school" intellectuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JssP5XKVqME

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

I have to ask, is the Lars Larson episode as bad as it sounds? Live show in Portland with a hack conservative radio host who thinks Plan B is equivalent to abortion. By the way, this is Adam from 10 years ago. Now he considers the people he called "retards who couldn't get laid in high school" intellectuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JssP5XKVqME

As is usually the case, the special guest doesn't really get to say anything, so whether you like the guy or not it doesn't really matter. You'll hear a lot of people cheering as they listen to Adam do commercials for his sponsors and a bunch of intro songs for various bits. Everything you want from morning zoo radio but people are paying to stand and hear it in the evening.

Side note: Greg Fitzsimmons, on one of his recent podcasts, mentioned that the secret to being on Adam's podcast is that you have to interrupt him and keep going. If you don't interrupt him and inject your own bits, he'll just fall back into one of the many canned rants.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Bryan's book is going to be the end of the show.

What does that mean?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ez posted:

What does that mean?

He's gaining confidence. Spent the first 20 minutes of the show talking about his book and the lawyer involved. Only thing saving it was the mention of Jack Silver in that costume and Adam butting in with "in fairness to him it was for Make-A-Wish".

Ez posted:

Pretty good Adam and Drew Show today. I did a spit take with my coffee when Adam said "sucked off the Rugby team", for some reason that really cracked me up.

Just heard this today and busted out laughing in the car.

As for the live shows, I think it's going to be expected as long as they are selling Mangria. You have a room full of people who'd normally be drinking beer now drinking hard liquor before the show. By the way, Mangria is really good.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Err, but it was Adam who made it a point to have Bryan talk about his experience, specifically. It wasn't like Bryan butted in during another 20 minute Jo Koy talks like a stereotype bit to do so.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Niwrad posted:

He's gaining confidence. Spent the first 20 minutes of the show talking about his book and the lawyer involved. Only thing saving it was the mention of Jack Silver in that costume and Adam butting in with "in fairness to him it was for Make-A-Wish".

I haven't listened to the main show for a couple weeks (just Adam and Drew) and I'm really glad I didn't hear this one.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

The last Adam and Dr Drew was an amazing compilation of all the ways Adam has changed since the loveline days. I couldn't finish it.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I'm loving Jo Koy singing Float On.

"Aquarius..." "Libra..." "Leo..." "Rooster..."

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Gotta get it on, MANDATE to get it on. Every time he says it, I realize just how dumb Adam really is, because when he originally started saying that, it was to mock radio personalities who would say such stupid things. It was ironic. Now it's not. Now it's a rote phrase he regurgitates every show. It's just so loving sad.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Jesus loving Christ, I don't know if I can get through this Kathy Lee Gifford episode. A grown woman who repeatedly calls her father 'daddy', which infantile, ALMOST as much as her constant mentions of god are. Adam mentions Dennis Prager as someone who is 'full of wisdom', classy as gently caress and totally not the opposite of the case in reality.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Apoplexy posted:

Gotta get it on, MANDATE to get it on. Every time he says it, I realize just how dumb Adam really is, because when he originally started saying that, it was to mock radio personalities who would say such stupid things. It was ironic. Now it's not. Now it's a rote phrase he regurgitates every show. It's just so loving sad.

Actually, that's from his making fun of songs from the 70s; it's just a rehashed bit that has become a trademark phrase.

Pilot Jim
Aug 23, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

I was laughing pretty hard at this, which is a rare occurrence now while listening to the podcast. As much as I love DAG (and I really, really do), this was a welcome reprieve from the Teddy Pendergrass bit.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Grant DaNasty posted:

"Hey girl... I'm 5' 1"...
96 pounds...
I wear a size six and a half shoe..."

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Bryan gossip incoming. On ADS #087, Adam said Bryan wouldn't ever touch Mangria just out of principle. Then Adam said "That man's got a lot of pride." Then this morning I was listening to ACS: Penn/David Wild, and Adam was answering a question about someone he liked but that person hated him. He replied "Bryan".

Just thought it was interesting. Any other information on Brian not drinking Mangria?

Apoplexy posted:

Get it right: Get it on, got to get it on, no choice but to get it on, mandate get it on.

Mahalo!

Sieg fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 28, 2013

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

vote_no posted:

Actually, that's from his making fun of songs from the 70s; it's just a rehashed bit that has become a trademark phrase.

Specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_CsZVbdVkI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
More specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAMGuFVqwrE

I've got to get it on I've got to get it on I got to get it on I got to get it on I got to get it on I got to get it on I got to get it on I said I'm gonna tell you just a-what I'm gonna do!