Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
Yes.. I can confirm Rogers is down, although mobile data doesnt work for me..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

This is a new one.

Rogers is down right now. Canada wide, apparently.

I can't make calls, and anyone calling me gets a busy signal on my cell. Their website is down, people are saying texts don't work. Mobile data apparently works fine though.

Canada's Reliable Network

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ja_raul posted:

Yes.. I can confirm Rogers is down, although mobile data doesnt work for me..

Yeah, seems data and text depends on region.

I get data in Montreal, but no text. A friend further south gets texts.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
did something blow up out east?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ja_raul posted:

did something blow up out east?

No. Without an axis it's meaningless.

That Rogers chart tops out at 4518, Bell at 45 and the Telus page is down (lol?)

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010
I can't connect to the network in Victoria, BC. I'm on speakout, which is a Rogers reseller I believe. No voice or texts. I was worried my 8 year old prepaid Nokia candy bar phone might have died, but it lives on!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Persona non grata posted:

8 year old prepaid Nokia candy bar phone might have died

Hahaha. Those things will outlive humanity.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

less than three posted:

Canada's Reliable Network

Done in by their own hubris is a beautiful thing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Only about where 90% of people live.

I was gonna pick up my wife late tonight downtown but oh wells. Good thing they took out all the payphones because only drug dealers still used them.

Also I am at work until 9:30 and people's lives could depend on me answering. Too bad for them!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

leidend posted:

I was gonna pick up my wife late tonight downtown but oh wells. Good thing they took out all the payphones because only drug dealers still used them.

Wouldn't that be useful for, uh, catching drug dealers, or am I taking The Wire too seriously?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

eXXon posted:

Wouldn't that be useful for, uh, catching drug dealers, or am I taking The Wire too seriously?

Catch... drug dealers? I don't think Vancouver cops have funding for that anymore.

Plus everyone on The Wire was using burners by the later seasons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw a guy commenting on that outage site that his wife is due today and he's waiting for the call.

Maultaschen
Jan 19, 2004

I'll be in Montreal and Quebec City for two weeks starting on Monday. I've got an unlocked T-Mobile HTC One. All I really need is data while I'm walking around town, but it looks like my options are pretty slim. Anything better than buying a lovely prepaid phone and swapping the SIM card?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Maultaschen posted:

I'll be in Montreal and Quebec City for two weeks starting on Monday. I've got an unlocked T-Mobile HTC One. All I really need is data while I'm walking around town, but it looks like my options are pretty slim. Anything better than buying a lovely prepaid phone and swapping the SIM card?

You are in luck:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/9/4821692/t-mobile-announces-unlimited-global-data-roaming-at-no-extra-charge

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Won't take effect until after he gets back though (starts October 31)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Aphrodite posted:

This is a new one.

Rogers is down right now. Canada wide, apparently.

I can't make calls, and anyone calling me gets a busy signal on my cell. Their website is down, people are saying texts don't work. Mobile data apparently works fine though.

It's fixed, and they're offering a 1 day credit for the outage!

That'll be, at most, $4.

With a $7 one-day-credit administration fee.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's about $1.75 for me.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I'm pleasantly surprised they are doing a one-day credit. That's pretty good customer service, for them. It's going to cost them an absolute fortune too.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Lexicon posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised they are doing a one-day credit. That's pretty good customer service, for them. It's going to cost them an absolute fortune too.

It's the very least they could do.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

yellowcar posted:

It's the very least they could do.

Oh, absolutely. But this is bizarro-telco-land we're talking about. It would be more in line with their customer-hostile ethos to tack on a "network recovery fee" to every bill, and then otherwise truck on as if nothing had happened.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Man, I'd hate to have been working in a Rogers store during all that. People would probably have been ravaging those poor sales reps with nothing they could do.

Lexicon posted:

It's a good kick in the teeth for Rogers. Their ARPU is at least what, roughly $60 or so a month by now? So a day of service equals about $2 on average, multiplied by 9.3 million subscribers, that's a one day loss of $18.6 million dollars, probably closer to 20 million. Sure, they made over 7 billion dollars in revenue last year, but I don't care who you are, that's gotta hurt.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Don't worry. They'll tack a $1 charge onto your bill for the next year to make up for it.

Rogers doesn't give a gently caress about 19mil.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Nitr0 posted:

Rogers doesn't give a gently caress about 19mil.

No business, even one of our greedy banks or mobile operators, swallows a $19M unexpected cost incurred over a day without that hurting.

If you think otherwise, you don't understand how corporations operate.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

Lexicon posted:

No business, even one of our greedy banks or mobile operators, swallows a $19M unexpected cost incurred over a day without that hurting.

Even if it is pocket change in the grand scheme of things for Rogers, heads are going to roll over that kind of loss.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

jot posted:

Even if it is pocket change in the grand scheme of things for Rogers, heads are going to roll over that kind of loss.

Exactly.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Have they said what the cause was, or is that never going to see the light of day?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ante posted:

Have they said what the cause was, or is that never going to see the light of day?

According to MobileSyrup, it was an "unprecedented surge in signaling traffic".

Kind of suspicious. Then again, a surge could mean that some hardware went down and other hardware had to take over which wasn't prepared for the load.

I have to it admit, it was annoying as my work Blackberry is on Rogers.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Lexicon posted:

lol you're so cute.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Rogers will up all their rate plans by $5 to compensate. Bell and Telus will bring their pricing in line with industry standards shortly thereafter.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Nitr0 posted:

lol you're so cute.

As cogent and nuanced as that was, if you have an actual reasoned refutation, I'd love to hear it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Lexicon posted:

As cogent and nuanced as that was, if you have an actual reasoned refutation, I'd love to hear it.

Rogers Wireless made 6.2 billion dollars in the first six months of this year.

19M is not only less than 1 percent of their quarterly revenue, it's only about 10 percent of their growth in the last year alone.

Yeah, it's a lot of money and some heads or going to roll, but it's tiny in the scheme of things. And if you don't think they're just going to offset it with a small bump on new contracts (with the others following suit), you're deluded.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ante posted:

Yeah, it's a lot of money and some heads or going to roll,

:confused: That was the entirety of my point.

ante posted:

And if you don't think they're just going to offset it with a small bump on new contracts (with the others following suit), you're deluded.

Well I didn't state a view either way on this, so I don't know where this comes from.

Yay for reading comprehension.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm looking at jumping from an iPhone to a dumbphone, but I'm not to familiar with the bands and what works where. Does anyone know what carriers I could use a Nokia 515 with in Canada?

Edit:

WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 2100 MHz
WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 7.2 Mbps
WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps
GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 20, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I switched from my Rogers phone to a company phone on Telus so I'm going to be cancelling my family plan thing.

I've got my parents on my plan so they're going to have to find their own two-line solution. Any go-to recommendations for two person plans with any particular carrier? They don't need a lot. I think my dad uses a few MB of data every month and my mom doesn't use any data. I doubt they would use even 120 minutes between the two.

I'll obviously be doing my own research but if there's a no brainer solution I'm missing please let me know.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm looking at jumping from an iPhone to a dumbphone, but I'm not to familiar with the bands and what works where. Does anyone know what carriers I could use a Nokia 515 with in Canada?

Edit:

WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 2100 MHz
WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 7.2 Mbps
WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps
GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps

Rogers/Fido/Chatr only.

Bell/Telus require WCDMA 850 and 1900.
WIND/Mobi require WCDMA 1700.
Rogers/Fido require 850 and 1900, either in WCDMA or GSM.

less than three fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 20, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Any chance it'll work with Koodo? Or only those three?

Thanks, by the way.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Any chance it'll work with Koodo? Or only those three?

Thanks, by the way.

Koodo is Telus, so no.

Any of the MVNOs that run on Rogers will be fine. (Fido, 7-11, Petro-Canada, Chatr)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Checked Fido/Rogers today and hot drat are they stupidly expensive next to Koodo.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Checked Fido/Rogers today and hot drat are they stupidly expensive next to Koodo.

If you're in a big city and need dumbphone service, Chatr is probably your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
Is 7-11 Speakout the cheapest carrier for an emergency phone that will at most send a few texts a month? I'm looking for something I can top up and leave for a year, without losing a ton of cash in monthly fees/balance expiry. I'd be interested if there was something similar using the Telus network with the better coverage.