Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Crazy Ted posted:

That's what I get for mixing those two terms up all the time. Are there any specifics on the type of improvements they'll be getting?

Probably some mixture of better aim, defense, HP, and damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

That's what I get for mixing those two terms up all the time. Are there any specifics on the type of improvements they'll be getting?

IIRC, incoming damage is halved on pods, and HEAT ammo has been nerfed by 50% as well.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Crazy Ted posted:

From what I read on the wiki, they get a passive trait that reduces all incoming damage by 50%, and units that don't rely on cover will be able to enter overwatch when spotted

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Metrohunter posted:

units that don't rely on cover will be able to enter overwatch when spotted

Well, now that sounds a little more like Old School XCOM.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BenRGamer posted:

Well, now that sounds a little more like Old School XCOM.

:goonsay: Not until Laser weapons gain a 40% bonus to crit on them, it don't!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Screw that, not until you don't have to RELOAD laser weapons it doesn't!

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Geight posted:

Yeah even if they rebalance late-game council missions to be a challenge (I really hope they do this!), I still hope there's the occasional pack of sectoids that you can just cut down like a hot knife through butter, cause that poo poo's cathartic.

What I disliked about endgame was the lack of long term unlockables. I put all my free space into workshops because interrogations make research super easy, and by the end it was really hard to run out of resources. I would have loved to see more niche tech options in the endgame, maybe tied to long-term conditions like 10 captures of X unit or somesuch. The closest thing to this was the rocket launcher upgrade, which wasn't at all necessary to finish the game but gives you a badass reward in return for patrolling the Earth a few more months.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Metrohunter posted:

units that don't rely on cover will be able to enter overwatch when spotted

Oh man, that's such a :xcom: change. So that includes all flying units and sectopods, right? Melee units don't use cover but they don't overwatch either. Floaters have such crap aim to begin their overwatch isn't that scary, but it's a little buff for their first turn. Cyberdiscs are going to be goddamn terrifying again.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Floaters can use cover. They just spent a lot of time outside of it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Klyith posted:

Oh man, that's such a :xcom: change. So that includes all flying units and sectopods, right? Melee units don't use cover but they don't overwatch either. Floaters have such crap aim to begin their overwatch isn't that scary, but it's a little buff for their first turn. Cyberdiscs are going to be goddamn terrifying again.
Floaters can take cover, they're just like archangel suits and can be air or ground depending on preference. This mostly seems to affect Mechtoids, Cyberdiscs, and Sectopods, the last two of which definitely needed a buff. The slight nerf to HEAT ammo and the -50% incoming damage perk to Sectopods are both excellent choices too.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Cyberdisks are already the most terrifying unit in the game, they really didn't need a buff :(

For the stage you encounter them in, they demand an instant alpha-strike the moment you spot one, because if it lives to take its turn then one of your guys absolutely positively is going to die. Like, sometimes I resort to clustering three dudes together just to make it throw a 5-damage grenade at all of them instead of its 15-damage (or whatever) gently caress You cannon.

Still, nothing that Lightning Reflexes can't fix.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I hope they gave berserkers some lovin' in that department too, because drat do they need it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What I want is for zombies to spawn chrysalids even if they're killed by the player. For real, chrysalids are only moderately threatening in the first terror mission, and a complete joke after that.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What I want is for zombies to spawn chrysalids even if they're killed by the player. For real, chrysalids are only moderately threatening in the first terror mission, and a complete joke after that.
I'd like to see them still get a (weaker) attack after their second move. It's just way too easy to deal with them when they helpfully spend their turn giving you the best possible chance to hit them. Or introduce mixed packs; three or four chryssalids would be a bit more dangerous if you had to choose between killing them or leaving a cyberdisk alive.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Just more difficulty in general, sprinkled liberally over every aspect of the game, would be nice. It's pretty easy to learn this game's strategic ins and outs and once you do :xcom: moments stop happening.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

misguided rage posted:

I'd like to see them still get a (weaker) attack after their second move. It's just way too easy to deal with them when they helpfully spend their turn giving you the best possible chance to hit them. Or introduce mixed packs; three or four chryssalids would be a bit more dangerous if you had to choose between killing them or leaving a cyberdisk alive.
Yeah, these would both be good. Right now they're only threatening on that first Terror Mission, and after that they just die way too easily to be a threat. Maybe their attack after a double move does minimal damage but gives a debuff of some kind to the soldier? Maybe it takes away one of their moves next turn or something, I don't know.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I don't know what difficulty modes you boys are playing on but on I/I pretty much all of the above posts are not true. :colbert:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

oswald ownenstein posted:

I don't know what difficulty modes you boys are playing on but on I/I pretty much all of the above posts are not true. :colbert:
Even on I/I it gets pretty easy after the second month.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

misguided rage posted:

Even on I/I it gets pretty easy after the second month.

Yeah, I/I is almost indistinguishable from classic after month 2.

You can get more high level enemies in a single map on impossible, but at that point you're nearly fully kitted out and its not a huge issue.

That said, the journey to get to month 2 or 3 on impossible is quite a bit different :)

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Okay, in the trailer I see Shen being knocked to the ground by an explosion and I read somewhere in this thread about him getting a character arc that makes him more pro-cyborg awesomeness and less poetry about how the abyss is gazing back into X-Com.

So is Shen going to lose an arm or something :ohdear: Is there going to be a scene where he experimentally flexes the fingers on his brand new cyberarm and it zooms in on his expression and you can see the mix of sadness and resolve and oh god I'm looking forward to character arcs in an X-Com game Firaxis what have you done you mad beautiful bastards

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
This is a long shot but maybe someone here has had issues like this in the past that they've resolved.

The first problem I am having is that out of nowhere, these two black bars running parallel to each other have appeared on either side of my screen (only in Xcom) which have effectively reduced my vision by 30 - 40%. I have 0 idea how this happened.

My second problem is actually just a major glitch in the game. The scenario involves two snipers. If Sniper 1 opens on the first turn of a map with the ability that confers vision (sorry, not near my computer) and the ability reveals enemies, firing with Sniper 2 causes my game to bug out every single time. What happens is that, after firing, the game sort of idles (but does not freeze) on Sniper 2 forever. I've tried tabbing, alt tabbing, pressing spacebar, pressing 1, but nothing seems to work. I am currently on a hostage mission in which the only enemies are Ravagers, so this is highly problematic. I more or less need (or at the very least, want) to open up with a hit/kill if I can because if I don't I get overwhelmed with Zombies very quickly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

quote:

My second problem is actually just a major glitch in the game. The scenario involves two snipers. If Sniper 1 opens on the first turn of a map with the ability that confers vision (sorry, not near my computer) and the ability reveals enemies, firing with Sniper 2 causes my game to bug out every single time. What happens is that, after firing, the game sort of idles (but does not freeze) on Sniper 2 forever. I've tried tabbing, alt tabbing, pressing spacebar, pressing 1, but nothing seems to work. I am currently on a hostage mission in which the only enemies are Ravagers, so this is highly problematic. I more or less need (or at the very least, want) to open up with a hit/kill if I can because if I don't I get overwhelmed with Zombies very quickly.
What happens if you move someone else, throw the scanner, move someone else, then have sniper 2 fire?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 12, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ravenfood posted:

What happens if you move someone else, throw the scanner, move someone else, then have sniper 2 fire?

Lot of detail you got there. Assuming the thrower is the same sniper with doubleshot, then he would not be able to act again after throwing the battle scanner. So you would move someone else, throw the scanner, then move someone else.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Brainamp posted:

Lot of detail you got there. Assuming the thrower is the same sniper with doubleshot, then he would not be able to act again after throwing the battle scanner. So you would move someone else, throw the scanner, then move someone else.

He's replying to Fly McCool's post above :ssh:

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Ravenfood posted:

I tried that and no dice. Something I neglected to mention was that this seems to only occur on one of the hostage maps. I've failed the mission at least 15 times, and it happened each of the four times I drew the map, regardless of who moves in what order. Again I know it probably sounds like minor griping, but getting a kill or hit on a Ravager early when there are 3 or so hostages in the immediate surrounding area is huge for me (I am not very good at XCOM).

One detail I might be overlooking, as well, is that Sniper 2 has double shot. So maybe it is idling out in between shots?

E: Yay, black border problem resolved. Apparently the resolution size changed somehow.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 12, 2013

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fly McCool posted:

I tried that and no dice. Something I neglected to mention was that this seems to only occur on one of the hostage maps. I've failed the mission at least 15 times, and it happened each of the four times I drew the map, regardless of who moves in what order. Again I know it probably sounds like minor griping, but getting a kill or hit on a Ravager early when there are 3 or so hostages in the immediate surrounding area is huge for me (I am not very good at XCOM).

One detail I might be overlooking, as well, is that Sniper 2 has double shot. So maybe it is idling out in between shots?

E: Yay, black border problem resolved. Apparently the resolution size changed somehow.
How long do you let it go before you ctr-alt-del? I've have the game hang on me a few times after a shot does something weird, and it eventually goes back to normal. Try it, go get yourself a sandwich, and see if its fixed? If not, I think you'll just have to deal with losing those guys. Remember that Chrysallids (I'm assuming that's what you're calling Ravagers: the bug zombie-making dudes) don't give a drat about cover, so as long as there aren't other enemies around, you can stand out in the open without any repercussions to kill them.

Brainamp posted:

Oops, sorry. I'm was replying to Fly McCool.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Tehan posted:

So is Shen going to lose an arm or something :ohdear: Is there going to be a scene where he experimentally flexes the fingers on his brand new cyberarm and it zooms in on his expression and you can see the mix of sadness and resolve and oh god I'm looking forward to character arcs in an X-Com game Firaxis what have you done you mad beautiful bastards
Well the DE:HR OST is certainly appropriate. Now he just has to get a gravelly voice and cyber shades.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jabor posted:

He's replying to Fly McCool's post above :ssh:

Ah, yeah, a quote helps in those cases. :v:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Note to self: Don't ever play with Hidden Potential and Not Created Equal. Or if you do, at least look at your rookies' stats

Nobody in my A Team could hit the broad side of a barn even at Major, after getting five missions in a row of the middle finger from the RNG (I'm talking consistent 30% hit rates in practice) and losing half of my veterans I gave up.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Ravenfood posted:

How long do you let it go before you ctr-alt-del? I've have the game hang on me a few times after a shot does something weird, and it eventually goes back to normal. Try it, go get yourself a sandwich, and see if its fixed? If not, I think you'll just have to deal with losing those guys. Remember that Chrysallids (I'm assuming that's what you're calling Ravagers: the bug zombie-making dudes) don't give a drat about cover, so as long as there aren't other enemies around, you can stand out in the open without any repercussions to kill them.

Oops, sorry. I'm was replying to Fly McCool.

Next time I'll try that. The longest I've waited is probably around 2-3 minutes.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
What is the consesus on the Long War mod?

http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/88//

Looking back the complaints seemed that the mod was rather unfair. Is that still true?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 12, 2013

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It's been discussed pretty extensively, yes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

Note to self: Don't ever play with Hidden Potential and Not Created Equal. Or if you do, at least look at your rookies' stats

Nobody in my A Team could hit the broad side of a barn even at Major, after getting five missions in a row of the middle finger from the RNG (I'm talking consistent 30% hit rates in practice) and losing half of my veterans I gave up.

I got an assault with pretty poo poo aim on my first NCE run. Only 77 aim at colonel, 2 better than a heavy.

It didn't matter much when he was only six inches away.

Random speed bonuses on soldiers. They're a hell of a thing.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

amuayse posted:

Well the DE:HR OST is certainly appropriate. Now he just has to get a gravelly voice and cyber shades.

Dr. Shen never asked for this :c00lbert:

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Looking back the complaints seemed that the mod was rather unfair. Is that still true?

It's been talked about a lot, yes: the general consensus is that it's pretty unfair and not very fun at all.

Man, I do wonder what Enemy Within is gonna mean for the various mods out there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cosmic Afro posted:

It's been talked about a lot, yes: the general consensus is that it's pretty unfair and not very fun at all.

Man, I do wonder what Enemy Within is gonna mean for the various mods out there.

Firaxis has never designed their games to be mod friendly like that, have they? I'd imagine none of them will work.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

UberJumper posted:

If you're bored with vanilla its worth a shot, but there is quite a few of bullshit moments where like two cyberdisks and 12 thin men roll up on your team all at once or whatever.

I house-rule that I can restart any mission once if it goes south, but I take the second result. This mitigates some of the nonsense but I've still lost 30+ soldiers and I'm probably only halfway through the campaign.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Cosmic Afro posted:

Do the base assault missions actually work?

Flippycunt posted:

If you're bored with vanilla its worth a shot, but there is quite a few of bullshit moments where like two cyberdisks and 12 thin men roll up on your team all at once or whatever.

I house-rule that I can restart any mission once if it goes south, but I take the second result. This mitigates some of the nonsense but I've still lost 30+ soldiers and I'm probably only halfway through the campaign.

Alright i'll give it a shot, any tips or suggestions for starting? Yeah i also used the same kind of restart rule, i gave up on playing iron man a long long time ago.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 12, 2013

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

UberJumper posted:

Do the base assault missions actually work?

Alright i'll give it a shot, any tips or suggestions for starting? Yeah i also used the same kind of restart rule, i gave up on playing iron man a long long time ago.

Always be bringing in fresh troops. Your guys are tired for 5 days after running a mission, and if you use them again during that time they become exhausted and you can't use them again for a month. So you'll want at least 3-4 teams worth of guys to rotate between.

Also, make sure you launch some satellites on continents that give out engineers as bonsues otherwise you can get stuck without enough engineers to build the buildings you need to get you more engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Can somebody give me some quick guidelines to follow when trying to do a Classic difficulty no-countries-lost playthrough? Like how soon should I have my second satellite up? When should I get a Satellite uplink? What continent should I start on?

• Locked thread