Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space

TwystNeko posted:

Ugh. I am bad at the video games. I still can't kill Plantera - I just don't do nearly enough damage to him. I've now got Adamantite armor, I pull him to the surface, and I can't even get him down to halfway. I have a golden shower, a Mythical Frost Staff (71 dmg in caster gear!), a mushroom spear, a zealous ice bow shooting hellfire arrows.. and nothing works. He just stomps the crap out of me.

Halp!

I had about the same stuff (megashark instead of the bow) and didn't have too many issues as long as I kited him in the air. His projectiles are really slow and once you have him down to half his second form is actually way easier since he moves jerkily and doesn't really shoot at you. I made three small platforms about a screen above the ground spaced widely and then just flew between them. I had butterfly wings but it would work just as well with any other kind. The mana manacles are really useful and I had thornskin\ironskin\mana regen\life regen\magic power\swiftness up for phase one and just let them lapse during phase 2 since it was a joke.

I tried fighting him underground the first time after clearing a huge arena and that was a mistake. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do Beehives have a certain depth they appear at? I'm trying to find one but this underground jungle is huge(even on a small world).

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I was looking into the ankh charm on the wiki, and Is there really no other way to get vitamins than killing a corruptor? which means I need to go into an alternate world, put it into hardmode and wait?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Renzuko posted:

I was looking into the ankh charm on the wiki, and Is there really no other way to get vitamins than killing a corruptor? which means I need to go into an alternate world, put it into hardmode and wait?

It seems like it, but don't make the same mistake I made for like an hour and a half and try farming them on the surface, they supposedly only drop Vitamins if you kill them in the caves (such that they're dropping souls as well).

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
I stopped reading the thread to avoid spoilers. I apologize if there have any inquiries about TerrariViewer. I highly doubt there were since most of the people in this thread play (mostly) legitimately.

Just popping in to let everybody know that I have finally finished the update and that it is compatible with 1.2.0.3. You can find it at https://terrariviewer.codeplex.com/releases/view/113343

Since this is a huge overhaul, I'd appreciate you guys directing any issues you see to my GitHub page https://github.com/TJChap2840

TJChap2840 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 12, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So can someone post a quick summary of the progression of the new content? We beat Plantera, all the 1.1 bosses, have Spectre/Shroomite/Turtle gear, and the Golem was a joke. Is there something in the Dungeon? We did some delving but haven't really gotten anything but for a couple rare drops.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The golem is the final boss for now I think.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The golem is effectively the final boss for now. There's another patch coming down the pipeline that should add an actual final boss.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

TJChap2840 posted:

Just popping in to let everybody know that I have finally finished the update and that it is compatible with 1.2.0.3. You can find it at https://terrariviewer.codeplex.com/releases/view/113343

That link gives me a 404, but I was able to download it from the main page.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

It seems like it, but don't make the same mistake I made for like an hour and a half and try farming them on the surface, they supposedly only drop Vitamins if you kill them in the caves (such that they're dropping souls as well).

I've had vitamins drop at the surface.

lesbian at Evergreen
Aug 9, 2006
Hm. Because I am insane and can't stop making cool things, I've started this:

after a long brainstorming session. However, after constructing a giant spiral staircase and a big plateau for the castle to sit on, I'm starting to have my doubts.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I forgot how dumb and linear Hardmode was. I really hoped it would have been smoothed out a bit, but nope. Everything hits like a truck until you kit yourself out in the best possible armor in the game, so until then you spend most of your time barricading yourself against everything and playing whack-a-mole as the only real way to fight and survive.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Hard mode is hard :qq:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ciaphas posted:

Is the "I'm a newbie, what do :saddowns:" pretty much the same post-patch as it was pre-patch, i.e. Just Start Digging? I haven't played this in at least half a year.
First get wood gear and look for chests in surface caves, the wallclimbing accessory is a common lowbie reward that makes spelunking easier.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 12, 2013

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Office Thug posted:

I forgot how dumb and linear Hardmode was. I really hoped it would have been smoothed out a bit, but nope. Everything hits like a truck until you kit yourself out in the best possible armor in the game, so until then you spend most of your time barricading yourself against everything and playing whack-a-mole as the only real way to fight and survive.

I bought a mushroom spear and I went and killed a couple frost golems until I had the full set of Frost Armor and now I'm wrecking face. I'm not quite up to fight-bosses-without-preparation trim yet (I'm doing a thing where I intentionally underprepare for boss fights), but I can hang in any biome.

edit: Actually the jungle biome has a bunch of stuff that I'm not quite confident about fighting yet. I usually use ranged damage for taking on the normal mode jungle, so maybe I'll wait until I have some good spells to sling. Ice Flower's my only hardmode spell right now.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Oh man I created a new Small world on a whim to go exploring and it has the Crimson and tungsten and lead ore and a giant tree and the middle spawn point is in a snow biome and now I'm going to have to move all my poo poo to this new world because it's so great. Any tips on making moving a castle's worth of junk less painful?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Oh man I created a new Small world on a whim to go exploring and it has the Crimson and tungsten and lead ore and a giant tree and the middle spawn point is in a snow biome and now I'm going to have to move all my poo poo to this new world because it's so great. Any tips on making moving a castle's worth of junk less painful?

You could probably use TEdit to copy/paste things, but I'm not sure if it keeps chest data intact.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Anyone got a world where the dungeon spawns snipers and that they could share? Having so much trouble finding one of those.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

This came from a while back, so whoever posted it with the helpful pictures:

When you set up your row of chests, create a platform using bars/ore, and then put anything made with that ore in that chest. It's an easy way to sort by material instead of item type, and it reduces the time you waste looking at signs to find your demonite or what have you.

To expand upon that, I also placed 4 chests near my bed and my crafting stations. The ones near my bed are for rare melee/ranged/magic/accessories, and the ones near the crafting station are potion/ingredients/boss items/miscellaneous.

It's saved me a bunch of time, and my layout is spread out. You can tighten it up and have all of your stuff right next to your crafting stations. Makes organization/collection so much easier, especially after the update expanded the size of chests. Also, with the new chest types, it's easy to sort your chests away by chest type.

I'll post up pics later on of my setup.

For transferring maps, set up five or so chests in your new base, then use the loot all/store all function between them, then sort your stuff after that.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 12, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't forget you can use a piggybank and safe to carry more poo poo between places than will fit in your inventory!

Or to drag back more stuff from spelunking. I personally use my safe for "whatever" storage and the piggybank for buff potions and keeping my money and basic room with bed kit and other things I want on hand but not clogging up my inventory.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm pretty much done everything pre-hardmode(only need to explore a Pyramid and the Crimson on another map now), how much should I prepare before fighting Wall of Flesh? I'll probably put a barrier around my house to prevent it from being corrupted/hallowed, but that's all I can think of. Doing that won't piss off my NPCs right? And new ones will just teleport in?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
A while back someone posted a link to a world generator that someone made which allowed you to decide how much of the new stuff was generated. Does someone have that link? I figured it might have ended up in the OP but I can't see it.

Kin fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 12, 2013

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
This one?...
http://binaryconstruct.com/games/tedit/

RatHat posted:

I'm pretty much done everything pre-hardmode(only need to explore a Pyramid and the Crimson on another map now), how much should I prepare before fighting Wall of Flesh? I'll probably put a barrier around my house to prevent it from being corrupted/hallowed, but that's all I can think of. Doing that won't piss off my NPCs right? And new ones will just teleport in?

Same question here.
I'm considering building an automated spike/ball/fire base but other than that I'm not sure what's best to do

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

Hard mode is hard :qq:

Yeah. Because it's impossible to make something difficult, fun, and fair.

As it stands the power curve is kinda bad. Either you are kitted out and don't die instantly or you are left playing kinda cheesy and cheaply. There doesn't seem to be much a gray area at times.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kin posted:

A while back someone posted a link to a world generator that someone made which allowed you to decide how much of the new stuff was generated. Does someone have that link? I figured it might have ended up in the OP but I can't see it.

https://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/deans-custom-worldgen-mod.108408/

quote:

Current Features:
-Choose how much of the Corruption is present.*
-Choose how much of the Crimson is present.*
-Choose if Corruption and Crimson are both in the world.
-Choose if the Jungle is present.
-Choose how much of the Snow Biome is present.**
-Choose if Spider Caves are present.
-Choose if Floating Islands are present.
-Choose if the Dungeon is present.
--Choose if Floating Islands are instead Floating Pyramids with houses on top.
-Choose if Hell is present.
--Choose if Hell has houses.
---Choose if Hell Houses have Hellforges.
-Choose if breakables are present.
-Choose between old ores, new ores, or a mix of both.
-Choose how rare or common ores and gems are.

*Too large of a value makes a jumbled mess. Too low of a value will just produce chasms.
**Will sometimes crash if you enter too large of a value.

http://download1595.mediafire.com/a5rjring8uag/0imyqqixx2fevbt/TerrariaServer.exe

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

RatHat posted:

Do you mean the proper desert pyramid or the jungle pyramid/temple? Because the latter is hardmode.

As for NPCs, when they join your world they'll usually start outside of the house but when you move a certain distance away from them they get teleported to their rooms.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought you needed to have an entrance of NPCs to move in though. Wouldn't a barrier around my house cause issues with that?

And yeah I meant the desert pyramid.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

No, "a door" is a requirement for a suitable house, but it doesn't need to be one that's ever in use. NPC's will happily teleport into their homes when you're not around.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

This is utter rubbish. Last bloodmoon I farmed up two on the surface. I'd have stopped at one but it was warding so it had to go in the item collection instead of the resources bin.

Harms
Dec 4, 2006
from outerspace
So does anything really come close to magic in the end game? There are so many spells with such great utility that ranged, and especially melee, just seem horrible (and boring) in comparison.

Moochewmoo posted:

Yeah. Because it's impossible to make something difficult, fun, and fair.

As it stands the power curve is kinda bad. Either you are kitted out and don't die instantly or you are left playing kinda cheesy and cheaply. There doesn't seem to be much a gray area at times.

I had zero problems tackling hardmode content immediately after killing WoF, and haven't died once from when I started it until getting all the top tier gear. Just make one of the upgraded phaseblades with crystals that are all over the place, and with full Molten Armor and a decent set of accessories (you have been upgrading them, right?) you should be able to kill enemies in the underground with ease while you work on mining the new ores.

Are you really having that much of a problem with basic enemies, or are you just trying to skip content? I mean, what exactly is giving you such a hard time at the beginning? Enemies might do a lot more damage, but they're all pretty basic in their attacks and don't have much hp. And with the speed that the phaseblade swings at, you should be able to easily stunlock all of them.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Technically it doesn't even need to be a door, a platform entrance in the floor or ceiling counts too.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Shroomite uzi with +crit chance reforges is a pretty hilarious replacement for magic without the self-healing component.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Matrim posted:

Shroomite uzi with +crit chance reforges is a pretty hilarious replacement for magic without the self-healing component.

Where did you find the uzi?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Newbie progress report! I found the cavern and cleaned up there. Fought the Eye of Cthulhu and survived a blood moon. I got a Suspicious Looking Eye from a chest and enough lenses for a second from the blood moon, but is there a good reason to keep farming the Eye, now that I have enough Crimtane for that sword? Everything else you can make with it looks like it requires Flesh Samples.

Also, how prepared should I be before fighting the next boss? I can handle the Crimson (aboveground) without too much trouble. Right now my goal is to find the Jungle for some moonglow seeds.

Finally, I got some spelunking potions (either from a chest or the Eye, not sure which). Will the ore stay recorded on my map after the potion wears off? Seems like the best use would be to frolic around the Cavern as quickly as possible for five minutes, and then go harvest what I saw.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Nolanar posted:

Newbie progress report! I found the cavern and cleaned up there. Fought the Eye of Cthulhu and survived a blood moon. I got a Suspicious Looking Eye from a chest and enough lenses for a second from the blood moon, but is there a good reason to keep farming the Eye, now that I have enough Crimtane for that sword? Everything else you can make with it looks like it requires Flesh Samples.

Also, how prepared should I be before fighting the next boss? I can handle the Crimson (aboveground) without too much trouble. Right now my goal is to find the Jungle for some moonglow seeds.

Finally, I got some spelunking potions (either from a chest or the Eye, not sure which). Will the ore stay recorded on my map after the potion wears off? Seems like the best use would be to frolic around the Cavern as quickly as possible for five minutes, and then go harvest what I saw.

Tissue Samples are the crimson equivalent of Shadow Scales, you'll get them for beating the boss summoned by popping the hearts in the crimson.

For the next boss I'd recommend trying to make one of the gem staves if you've managed to get 8 of a gem already, otherwise grenades are pretty good for it, I don't know what your armour is like but I'll assume that since you got through the Eye just fine and don't seem to have any problem in the crimson that you shouldn't need to go out of your way to upgrade it just yet.

The stuff you discover with spelunker potions stays on your map even after you've discovered it, so the best use of a spelunker potion(at least while they're a rare/limited thing) is to move as far through an area as you can in as short a space of time as possible.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

lohli posted:

Tissue Samples are the crimson equivalent of Shadow Scales, you'll get them for beating the boss summoned by popping the hearts in the crimson.

For the next boss I'd recommend trying to make one of the gem staves if you've managed to get 8 of a gem already, otherwise grenades are pretty good for it, I don't know what your armour is like but I'll assume that since you got through the Eye just fine and don't seem to have any problem in the crimson that you shouldn't need to go out of your way to upgrade it just yet.

The stuff you discover with spelunker potions stays on your map even after you've discovered it, so the best use of a spelunker potion(at least while they're a rare/limited thing) is to move as far through an area as you can in as short a space of time as possible.

Thanks! I have the copper staff right now, saving up rubies for the gold (no platinum on my world). I'm in full lead right now, with my tungsten going toward armor. Plus, I got a band of regeneration from a chest. That and a potion really helped out a lot with the Eye.

Okay, that's what I figured with the potions. It's hard to make them while I still have uses for gold (and haven't gotten moonglow seeds from the jungle yet). I have more blinkroot seeds than I know what to do with, now that I grow them in pots. On that note, are there restrictions on where plants in pots will grow? Can I hide them in an underground bunker, or should I build a greenhouse structure for them?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Nolanar posted:

Thanks! I have the copper staff right now, saving up rubies for the gold (no platinum on my world).

Save all the silt and slush you come across, because there's an item you will find eventually called an Extractinator. The world I play on only has the original ores (so far, haven't entered hardmode yet) but feeding a stack of slush into the extractinator yielded everything I needed for a Diamond staff.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
What's the money levels like in hard mode?

I'm currently sort of farming lenses and spines and selling the stuff cthulhu drops as part of my preparations, but if it's a pittance relative to the late game funds I'll not bother.

Also, how does the hard mode respawn/generation work?
I guess there's new pots chests etc, but if I ravage all of the ore in a world will it spawn fresh ores, or does it just swap out the remaining old ones for the new. Don't want to over-mine.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

What's the money levels like in hard mode?

I'm currently sort of farming lenses and spines and selling the stuff cthulhu drops as part of my preparations, but if it's a pittance relative to the late game funds I'll not bother.

Also, how does the hard mode respawn/generation work?
I guess there's new pots chests etc, but if I ravage all of the ore in a world will it spawn fresh ores, or does it just swap out the remaining old ones for the new. Don't want to over-mine.

You'll probably make a lot more money killing stuff in hardmode and the enemy drops are worth more too.

Pots naturally respawn if you're not in and area whether hardmode or not but there aren't any new chests just whatever you didn't get with the same junk. You have to smash altars to get new ores. I think they just appear in an area of bare stone or whatever but either way you shouldn't worry about overmining but also there's not much reason to unless you want to build a castle out of gold bricks or something.

Really you should just get into hardmode. People hugely overstate the preparation needed. If you have molten armor, a molten pickaxe, and a weapon you're comfortable with you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You can do pretty well in Hardmode with just jungle/meteor armour and Water Bolt. It'll be a little rocky at first, but as soon as you get your hands on Golden Shower/Cursed Flames/Crystal Storm it's back to rampant destruction and wizardly glory. You'll absolutely want a Nature's Blessing though.

• Locked thread