Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fister Roboto posted:

So, uh, Terezi was kind of stabbing the poo poo out of Gamzee like it was going out of style right before this. Why is it just NOW that people are saying "OMG SO BRUTAL!!"?
Because gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Other than being a juggalo with a silly codpiece and talking stupid, Gamzee also killed two of his friends in cold blood. And was forgiven for it through Karkat's mercy. A mercy he then chose to throw in everyone's faces. He also desecrated the corpses of his friends. So he has a lot to answer for.

The last time I remember liking Gamzee is when we saw him hugging Calliope. I do have some hopes that it turns out that Gamzee is under the control of Lord English, and that he does have a good side to his personality that will be revealed when/if Calliope returns.

With all the talk about Gamzee lately...I wonder if Gamzee is the new Vriska?

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.

glowing-fish posted:

With all the talk about Gamzee lately...I wonder if Gamzee is the new Vriska?

Well he is one of the few characters that actually does stuff to further the plot.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
At least we know that there's pretty much no way Terezi isn't getting off on that somehow.

:unsmith:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Who What Now posted:

I dunno. One of the characters in question is an emotionally abused person, who has previously been shown to have a wide-range of emotions and reactions and particularly strong reactions to having been emotionally (at least) abused, who was lashing out at their legitimate abuser. The other is an immortal psychopath beating someone to death because they did a mildly inconvenient thing to them.

Call me crazy, but the two don't seem to be equal. One seems to have a lot more justification than "Terezi good, Gamzee bad" even!

Terezi's fully justified in trying to eviscerate the clown, of course. It's still a pretty hard sell to expect somebody to stand there and accept their righteous disemboweling. I mean, if nothing else, I imagine that pretty well loving hurts.

He wouldn't really be a villain if he was willing to lay down and (not) die while Terezi tried to carve out his gizzard. It wouldn't make a lot of sense at all.

My point, however, was this: nobody was decrying Gamzee's brutal stabbing because we want him to die. He's the bad guy. We have very little emotional investment in his survival-- in fact, I would guess that more people are emotionally invested in him dying. Gamzee deserves retribution, even though most people probably already figured out that Terezi's shanking wouldn't be it. Meanwhile, yeah-- Terezi is a fully fledged, developed, interesting character, whose plight we're supposed to sympathize with and who we're supposed to root for. Her getting messed up is a bad thing. She's a popular protagonist.

Which, yeah, kind of boils down to "Terezi good, Gamzee bad".

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 12, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't care if Gamzee dies, but that's not what's important here. I don't expect him to die. We have seen on previous(?) occasions that he's pretty difficult to kill.

We haven't seen Terezi survive a beating like that or a lava bath. Hell, we haven't really seen Terezi get injured much at all. She got blinded once. We've seen a dead alternate timeline version of her (thanks to Gamzee being an insane fucker clown, no less).

So her getting mauled like this is actually a Pretty Big Deal.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Theres also the fact that she put down her weapons and then he attacked her while she was defenseless. She stabbed him, but she stopped and apologised so you can't exactly say he was just acting out of self-defense.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Who What Now posted:

Call me crazy, but the two don't seem to be equal. One seems to have a lot more justification than "Terezi good, Gamzee bad" even!

There's all this, which is spot on and then there's also how the action is presented and what they're doing.
Firstly, Terezi is in tears during the whole thing. There's no fun in what she's doing to Gamzee at all. This combined with knowing how he messed with her head and that he can shrug all this off serve to make this attack feel rather sad but futile. There's no catharsis for Terezi or the audience. This is driven home by Gamzee just taking it and smiling. While stabbing a dude is generally kind of brutal we know in this context that it's absolutely nothing which removes any sense of brutality to the situation. The whole attack is like a 3 year old hammering their tiny fists against a grown adult.

Then Gamzee is freed from his mind control (important to note since this implies that he'd have done what follows straightaway instead of just standing there) and tells Terezi he's hurting her. Whether this is true or not it's pretty rough to hear someone who's done so much emotional damage to you put themselves in the victim role. What then follows is a bare handed beat down. It feels far more personal and visceral than even a stabbing. Dude slams her face into the ground and then suplexes her. Note that he's not moving like he's just been finely diced. Terezi's attack hasn't hampered him at all.

If you maybe heard the events second hand "Terezi stabbed Gamzee and then Gamzee punched Terezi" it'd be weird that people are only now calling brutality but if you know the context and see what's presented it's pretty blatant why people are reacting as such.

So yeah, it's more than good v bad; it's "Dude who is able to take it without a problem and a victim of abuse making a futile act of retaliation and then getting the poo poo beaten out of her."

#muhfictionalcharacters

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I miss when Gamzee was fun to be around.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, once upon a time Gamzee was the Best Character and I had three Gamzeetars. Now those days are gone forever.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Someone should get on alchemizing more pies ASAP.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, just put the guy in a chair and hook 'im up to some sopor slime IV therapy.

Alternatively just kill that goddamn clown already.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
There's been enough delay. It's high time Karkat did something really spectacularly violent for once, and this feels like the perfect buildup.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

There's been enough delay. It's high time Karkat did something really spectacularly violent for once, and this feels like the perfect buildup.

Well so did the last time Gamzee freaked out and started violently beating people and we all know how that ended.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Has anybody mentioned Juggalo Championship Wrestling? Because it actually exists. There is an actual wrestling federation that the Insane Clown Posse owns. I can't show the website because I get a phishing warning whenever I try to access it, but it's a real thing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Supersonic Shine posted:

Has anybody mentioned Juggalo Championship Wrestling? Because it actually exists. There is an actual wrestling federation that the Insane Clown Posse owns. I can't show the website because I get a phishing warning whenever I try to access it, but it's a real thing.

I remember that poo poo from what has to have been 15 years ago. They somehow convinced Abdullah the Butcher to show up, though even by that time he was just a hideous ancient mass of fat and scars. Are they actually still doing this?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

They are. It's not like they're the bottom of the barrel even, as long as TNA wrestling still exists. They've even got some decent talent, like Colt Cabana and Vampiro (as well as some 'used to be good talent', like Raven and Rhyno).

Plus, Rob Conway, he of the best wrestling theme ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ljGWVtqdo

Yeah, you know this got some motherfuckers hype before a match. :rock:

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 12, 2013

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Thundarr posted:

I remember that poo poo from what has to have been 15 years ago. They somehow convinced Abdullah the Butcher to show up, though even by that time he was just a hideous ancient mass of fat and scars. Are they actually still doing this?

Juggalos aren't know for heir willingness to change and try new things. Oh, and there's a PS2 game about the Juggalo Wredtling league too. I never played it but it looked godawful.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.

Who What Now posted:

Juggalos aren't know for heir willingness to change and try new things. Oh, and there's a PS2 game about the Juggalo Wredtling league too. I never played it but it looked godawful.

It is actually goddamn amazing for a wrestling video game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ingenium posted:

It is actually goddamn amazing for a wrestling video game.
Although considering WWF No Mercy from all the way back in 2000 is still considered to be one of the standard-bearers of the genre, the standards aren't exactly high here.

cloudy music
Aug 23, 2008

Nephthys posted:

Yes. This is truth. The guys trying to justify his inaction by saying he's confused or whatever are wrong imo. John wasn't all confused after he revived. He came back, saw Rose was dead, read Vriskas message and kissed Rose back to life because he's a character who can step up to the loving plate when he needs to. No-one else has been confused after being revived either to my knowledge.

Its especially egregious though since Jake has talked about standing up for ladies and poo poo yet when he's seeing one getting beaten to death right in front of him he does fuckall. He doesn't look confused either, his face is more :\ than :? to me.

Jake's behavior is perplexing; on one hand, we expect him to act like this because he's a dense, weak-willed dork (like the other Pages) but on the other hand, he's rather calm given exactly what he's witnessing (some of the most brutal and emotionally devastating scenes in Homestuck yet.) It's hard to read what's going on in his head; in these pages he looks like a bored and/or confused toddler (his hair and outfit don't exactly help) who isn't sure what he's witnessing. Karkat and Kanaya have the only believable reaction to this carnage, so one might assume that Rose and Jake are both really really out of it mentally. Then again, both those kids have seen some poo poo. They both stumbled across their maternal caretaker's corpses, after all.

Like with most plot developments, things won't be clear until the story progresses more. I wouldn't be surprised if Jake has done some actual "growing up" in a Shinji Ikari/Dean Venture sense, where he's no longer the naive, easily-shocked wuss we're used to, but evolving into someone more bitter, jaded, apathetic...but still cowardly.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So the Namco High stuff that Hussie is working on updated. But it won't matter to me unless I can date the ship from Galaga. :colbert:

http://namcohigh.com/

fakeedit:

quote:

Students:
Galaga

THE GALAGA SHIP IS THE MOST ALLURING, CAPTIVATING, AND ENCHANTING THING IN THE UNIVERSE.

Well played, Andrew Hussie.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Welp, might as well just stop releasing characters there, the only one anyone's gonna care about is the Galaga ship.

When this was first announced I wondered if we'd still be able to detect Hussie's distinctive influence if he had to work with a big company on major properties. Guess that answers that question.

Edit - they have a dedicated Galaga artist on the team? Easiest job ever.

Edit 2 - wait, Brian Clevinger's in on this? How hadn't I heard that? This just keeps getting better and better!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 13, 2013

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

quote:

As a cousin to the Prince from Katamari Damacy you will meet total strangers with nothing in common, but before it is all over you'll break rules, bare your soul, and touch each other in ways you never dreamed.
Oh, it's one of THOSE social sims...

Gonna grope the exhaust right offa that Galaga ship.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bobulus posted:

So the Namco High stuff that Hussie is working on updated. But it won't matter to me unless I can date the ship from Galaga. :colbert:

http://namcohigh.com/

fakeedit:

Well played, Andrew Hussie.

I mean I like Hussie, but Ashley Davis is doing the art for Valkyrie? That's probably stolen the spotlight for me.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Namco seems set on assimilating the full range of internet comic talent into their projects I see. Writers alone, we've got the writers of 8-bit Theatre/Atomic Robo, Monster Pulse, and Johnny Wander, all under Andrew Hussie's creative direction?

I want to know who sold Namco on this idea.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

Namco seems set on assimilating the full range of internet comic talent into their projects I see. Writers alone, we've got the writers of 8-bit Theatre/Atomic Robo, Monster Pulse, and Johnny Wander, all under Andrew Hussie's creative direction?

I want to know who sold Namco on this idea.

This is, of course, just an outgrowth of their Shifty Look project, which had even more webcomic talent involved.

I have no idea what their strategy is here but I'm not complaining.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If they thought they needed more indie cred all they really needed to do was release a new Katamari game with some actually original content. :colbert:

Hiring all of the webcomic writers to create the strangest high school dating sim game of all time works too, I suppose.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

As long as one of the romance dialogue options is "YOUR EYES... ARE AN OCEAN. YOUR BREASTS ARE ALSO AN OCEAN" all will be OK.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Homestuck book 3 is now available (Plus PS box set). Topatoco is down, wonder why? :downs:

e: Anyone know where the usual option to get a signed copy is?

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 13, 2013

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
$15 extra for a Problem Sleuth slipcase? Really?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

glowing-fish posted:

Other than being a juggalo with a silly codpiece and talking stupid, Gamzee also killed two of his friends in cold blood. And was forgiven for it through Karkat's mercy. A mercy he then chose to throw in everyone's faces. He also desecrated the corpses of his friends. So he has a lot to answer for.
As much as I say I follow Kanaya's guidance when it comes to being down with the clown, every character he hosed up was there to kill him. Karkat sicced Equius on him first, Nepeta attempted revenge, the whole Mexican standoff thing Kanaya interrupted and now Terezi.

That said, it's totally about which characters we like and hate, and apparently some gender bias to match.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

$15 extra for a Problem Sleuth slipcase? Really?

Eh. It's a little high for a cardboard box, but entirely optional. I'll get it just to ensure my books get bent up less as I move from apartment to apartment.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dolash posted:

Edit 2 - wait, Brian Clevinger's in on this? How hadn't I heard that? This just keeps getting better and better!

Oh my gosh I am so totally down for this. :allears:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bell_ posted:

As much as I say I follow Kanaya's guidance when it comes to being down with the clown, every character he hosed up was there to kill him. Karkat sicced Equius on him first, Nepeta attempted revenge, the whole Mexican standoff thing Kanaya interrupted and now Terezi.

That said, it's totally about which characters we like and hate, and apparently some gender bias to match.

When you start telling everyone you can that you're going to brutally murder them all you don't get to claim self-defense anymore.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 13, 2013

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Equius wasn't trying to kill Gamzee, though. He just wanted to talk him down. Equius and Karkat are the only two trolls to have not attempted murder.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Tenebrais posted:

Equius wasn't trying to kill Gamzee, though. He just wanted to talk him down. Equius and Karkat are the only two trolls to have not attempted murder.

Sollux? He never had violent moments outside of self-defense or getting his brain hijacked.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fef also never tried to MURDER anyone, exactly.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Sollux? He never had violent moments outside of self-defense or getting his brain hijacked.

Sollux did have some weird unexplained vacillation between redrom and blackrom when confronting what he thought was Gamzee, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

XkyRauh posted:

Sollux did have some weird unexplained vacillation between redrom and blackrom when confronting what he thought was Gamzee, though.

I assumed the joke there was that Sollux felt TWO things.