Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Find me one for Android :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Clown posted:

Find me one for Android :)

There isn't one, unfortunately. You can get AppSales and configure it to alert you when apps in the photography category go on sale, though. Works like a charm. :)

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

The whole selfie thing is a mystery to me. What makes these people think that anyone would want to see that many pictures of them? I doubt even this guy's mom would want that. Are people really THAT self-absorbed? Christ.

Yes, yes they really are that self absorbed. Most people under 30 display this behavior to some extent or other. You'll see it more often in girls then guys, but that's mostly because even a moderately attractive girl can accumulate a collection of guys who just can't wait to like her photos and tell her how beautiful she is. It's more difficult for Joe Nobody to accomplish this with girls unless he's really very attractive, but it does happen.

The comment about Flickr being better is true. The users do tend to be older, but even the young users tend to post actual photos as opposed to just using it for self worship. It's kind of baffling that people who take photos of things other than themselves even bother with Instagram at this point.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Selfies are just the projection of corporeality into digital space.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hypersleep posted:

The comment about Flickr being better is true. The users do tend to be older, but even the young users tend to post actual photos as opposed to just using it for self worship. It's kind of baffling that people who take photos of things other than themselves even bother with Instagram at this point.
I hate to sound like a grumpy old lady but honestly... it's the kids. They just ruin everything with their dumb poo poo. Tumblr used to be loving great, now it's equally unmanageable if you want to search for anything -- no matter what you look for, you're going to drown in a sea of selfies and horrible poetry. There should be a law against anyone under 25 using the internet. drat kids! :bahgawd:

Anyway yeah, Instagram is unfortunately ruined, not just because of the kids posting crap but also because of the spam. Holy goddamn does Instagram have a spam problem, and it just keeps getting worse. And now that it's going to have ads (including video ads) I really have no reason to stay anymore. I'm switching to flickr for good and considering Oggl as well. I love Hipstamatic and Oggl looks really neat. Can't wait for my new iPhone to get here so I can try it out.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
It definitely seems that the younger kids are all about Instagram. The roller derby girls that I photograph are, for the most part, all under 25. For every one post that one of them makes on Facebook, there's ten photos or videos posted up on Instagram.

Seems like Facebook is now for the 30+ generation, and our parents.

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

a charlie come a charlie come a bubble gum

https://www.instagram.com/turnerbradley

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ZippySLC posted:

It definitely seems that the younger kids are all about Instagram. The roller derby girls that I photograph are, for the most part, all under 25. For every one post that one of them makes on Facebook, there's ten photos or videos posted up on Instagram.

Seems like Facebook is now for the 30+ generation, and our parents.
I'm a weirdo and I don't use Facebook for anything other than to sign in to other sites when needed. I totally get the appeal of sharing things that you make, like artwork and whatnot, but I will never understand why people feel the urge to share their lives -- I love my family but I don't care what they did today or what they ate or wore unless it was something out of the ordinary. I just don't get it at all and it makes me feel really old even though I'm only 32.

Anyway, this is kind of a derail, so... I was cleaning up my bookmarks and found this Hipstamatic guide with a huge number of different lens, flash and film combinations: http://content.photojojo.com/guides/ultimate-hipstamatic-guide/

It's not even close to being all of them but it's a quick way to find a combo that appeals to you. There's also this: http://hipstography.com/en/category/combos-2

I like Hipstamatic a lot. It's the randomness of it -- even when you select a combo that you've used before, there's gonna be little details that look different. And I love shaking my phone and taking a picture without really knowing how it will turn out too. I've wasted hours doing it.

e:

This is fantastic.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm a weirdo and I don't use Facebook for anything other than to sign in to other sites when needed. I totally get the appeal of sharing things that you make, like artwork and whatnot, but I will never understand why people feel the urge to share their lives -- I love my family but I don't care what they did today or what they ate or wore unless it was something out of the ordinary. I just don't get it at all and it makes me feel really old even though I'm only 32.

I'm 35 and I posted a photo on FB of a pie that I baked today. To be fair, it was my first attempt at a pie from scratch.

I post a fair amount of my photography on Facebook, but I try to not overload everyone with it. Maybe a pic or three a week. I haven't put anything up on Instagram in a while.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ZippySLC posted:

I'm 35 and I posted a photo on FB of a pie that I baked today. To be fair, it was my first attempt at a pie from scratch.

I post a fair amount of my photography on Facebook, but I try to not overload everyone with it. Maybe a pic or three a week. I haven't put anything up on Instagram in a while.

No but see, that makes sense to me. You made a thing and then you posted it. I can understand that. And photography in general is totally understandable too because that's like, you're sharing your artwork. What I don't get is people like my cousin, posting memes and "lol funniest vines plz like" between status updates like "I need new shoes lol" and "soooo booooooorrrrreeeddd". He's 36 years old. Thirty six. For gently caress's sake. And he's not the only one, I mean everyone I know who is on Facebook posts more or less the same kind of stuff.

Anyway -- folks using iPhones might wanna grab some of these apps: https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/shota-nakagami/id457011383 -- SubtleColor is very nice and MosaicTouch is super useful. This is a good dev and all of his apps are well made and well maintained.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
sorry to derail thread but this is what I was talking about

also

saw this a while ago and facepalmed

go through any 14-18 year old and garuntee that 90% of theirs and their friends photos all look like this

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 13, 2013

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I went hiking with some friends near big sur* a couple weekends ago. I planned poorly and only had my GS3 with me so here you go. FWIW I waited for some cars to go by, thinking they'd add something to look at/a sense of scale.

*tan bark trail

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 13, 2013

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

http://instagram.com/p/fY7zWLCuTv/

Not as happy with this one.

Charlie Bubblegum fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 13, 2013

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Reminds me of this one I took.

http://instagram.com/p/SlcejyubXg/

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Been taking a lot more photos lately, most of these are edited in snapseed and shot with an iPhone 5S

image by marshmonkey83, on Flickr

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Oh godddddd :3:

How are you liking the camera on the 5s? Mine arrives in two days and I've been reading a bunch of reviews but they've been mixed, with some people saying that it's a huge upgrade from the 5 and some saying that it's a minor upgrade at best.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

the kawaiiest posted:

Oh godddddd :3:

How are you liking the camera on the 5s? Mine arrives in two days and I've been reading a bunch of reviews but they've been mixed, with some people saying that it's a huge upgrade from the 5 and some saying that it's a minor upgrade at best.

Liking it a lot, less noise and sharper images. Burst mode is epic for getting any kind of action shot. The autofocus can be indecisive when there are a lot of different things in frame, but that doesn't seem to become much of an issue unless you are shooting through bushes or something.

I have noticed shots being a little washed out sometimes, but there is enough added tonal information from the new sensor that you can really push the images more in post.

Here is a good review comparing the 5 and 5S: http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-5s-review-patagonia

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

marshmonkey posted:

Liking it a lot, less noise and sharper images. Burst mode is epic for getting any kind of action shot. The autofocus can be indecisive when there are a lot of different things in frame, but that doesn't seem to become much of an issue unless you are shooting through bushes or something.

I have noticed shots being a little washed out sometimes, but there is enough added tonal information from the new sensor that you can really push the images more in post.

Here is a good review comparing the 5 and 5S: http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-5s-review-patagonia

Yeah that's one of the reviews I read and really liked. :)

How well does it perform in low light? I mean, it's a cellphone so it's not going to be stellar but how bad is it?

e: just found some low light comparison shots here http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/10 and I'm very impressed.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I'm tempted by the Sony Z1 but it's just a phone at the end of the day. I should just buy a new lens for my camera instead. But I like having a camera like that in my pocket! Ah...

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Clown posted:

I'm tempted by the Sony Z1 but it's just a phone at the end of the day. I should just buy a new lens for my camera instead. But I like having a camera like that in my pocket! Ah...
Why not just buy a new lens for your phone?

Yours for $30! :v:

e: I seriously want the Olloclip lenses though.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Sunset Grove by benruset, on Flickr

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Ashland by chazaraz, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
You'll be glad to know I've run out of tube station pictures.

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

http://www.instagram.com/turnerbradley

widunder
May 2, 2002

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Oh wow. What a beautiful photo.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
How do I like it?

widunder
May 2, 2002
Thanks :) VSCO is magical sometimes. That's on a pretty heavy crop, too.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

nemoulette posted:

Thanks :) VSCO is magical sometimes. That's on a pretty heavy crop, too.

Yeah vsco is fabulous. It's my favorite app, along with Afterlight and Landcam.

Anyway,

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

http://www.instagram.com/turnerbradley

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

I'll contribute!

edit: Ah hell, some more!

http://lrcphoto.tumblr.com

Neowyrm fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 19, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Venice Life by chazaraz, on Flickr

widunder
May 2, 2002

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

"Christina Puguilera", winner of a halloween costume contest at Dogtoberfest in Austin.

Pugs. :3:

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

untitled cell phone by s-bothun, on Flickr

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
A few from walking the dog today.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

This is some great street photography.

Catalog by chazaraz, on Flickr

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Untitled by TheJeffers, on Flickr

The iPhone 5 still impresses me even after a year of shooting with it.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

untitled cell phone by s-bothun, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Sandy Hook Bay Sunset by benruset, on Flickr