Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
The only cookbook thread seems long dead so I thought I'd try asking here. I'm looking for recommendations for cookbooks on traditional/authentic Mexican cuisine. I know that Rick Bayless's stuff is pretty popular but I wasn't sure if there was anything else that I should be looking at. Is there a Mexican equivalent of The Joy of Cooking or The Silver Spoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought a stalk of brussel sprouts.

The sprout at the top is very large and is opening up a bit. Is that any worse than the tightly curled sprouts?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Is there a recipe randomization program, like pandora but for cooking. Where you vote good or bad on recipes and it gives you more of the same type?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

ShadowMoo posted:

Is there a recipe randomization program, like pandora but for cooking. Where you vote good or bad on recipes and it gives you more of the same type?

http://www.whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm going to be doing some travelling in the US next year and want to visit a couple of Michelin starred restaurants while I'm there since I've never been to one. Momofuku Ko looks great at $125 per head for food and I'm looking for that $100-200 price range ideally for food per head with maybe another $100 on drinks split between me and a friend at the higher end. Cheaper would be better wherever possible. What do people recommend? I think we can afford to eat at around 3 places without it being an issue. Where they're located is less of an issue since the plan is to spend 3 months or so (what a visa will let us) to travel as many places as possible.
For budget you can't beat Seasonal for lunch at $29 pp for three courses (NOT Park Avenue, Seasonal, it is on 58th street on the west side). It's totally dope, is very representative of a good Michelin experience, and is probably my favorite in NY to take people. I've been for lunch and dinner and the lunch version of dishes are the same as the dinner version (though a few dishes aren't available).

If I were you, I'd do Le Bernardin for dinner for the blow-out, Seasonal for lunch, and an Italian resto - probably Babbo or Del Posto (I haven't been to either), with an eye towards the lunch menus. I like Marea a lot too but I don't see it as that much of a value even at lunch, and it feels a little more corporate than luxurious (IMO).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 11, 2013

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've got a lot of vermicelli (The pasta sort, not the rice noodle), spinach, potato and mid-range parmesan cheese that I need to use up. Any recipe suggestions?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FedoraDefender420 posted:

I've got a lot of vermicelli (The pasta sort, not the rice noodle), spinach, potato and mid-range parmesan cheese that I need to use up. Any recipe suggestions?

Vermicelli cacio e pepe. Or carbonara. Or algio e olio.

Spinach and potato tortilla espanola.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm going to be doing some travelling in the US next year and want to visit a couple of Michelin starred restaurants while I'm there since I've never been to one. Momofuku Ko looks great at $125 per head for food and I'm looking for that $100-200 price range ideally for food per head with maybe another $100 on drinks split between me and a friend at the higher end. Cheaper would be better wherever possible. What do people recommend? I think we can afford to eat at around 3 places without it being an issue. Where they're located is less of an issue since the plan is to spend 3 months or so (what a visa will let us) to travel as many places as possible.

It's been mentioned already, but I will also endorse Babbo; it just got its star back and is probably my favorite restaurant ever. :) Get the tasting menu if you can afford it, but even a 2-3 course dinner is worth the visit. I also really enjoyed Daniel, for what it's worth.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like barbecuing chicken this weekend but the salmonella outbreak, the lack of a recall, and the USDA not being staffed has me worried. Is it only Foster Farms brand chicken that have been linked?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oae Ui posted:

The only cookbook thread seems long dead so I thought I'd try asking here. I'm looking for recommendations for cookbooks on traditional/authentic Mexican cuisine. I know that Rick Bayless's stuff is pretty popular but I wasn't sure if there was anything else that I should be looking at. Is there a Mexican equivalent of The Joy of Cooking or The Silver Spoon?

A lot of it is pretty inexact. I learned Mexican cooking from a nice lady from Baja who didn't have a single recipe written down.

I don't own a lot of cookbooks, but I love this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Tamales-101-Beginners-Making-Traditional/dp/1580084281/

Yes, it's about tamales, but it's packed with restaurant-tested sauce recipes and the pictures are gorgeous.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Oae Ui posted:

http://www.amazon.com/000-Mexican-Recipes/dp/0764564870
I read this one in a library a few years back and found it to be really comprehensive. Like Squashy said, Mexican food is really more done by touch and taste. You'll likely get better results by watching someone make a dish (and youtube is great for this) than by attempting it with a recipe, because there's a fair few ingredients that don't behave consistently. However! The 1,000 Mexican Recipes covers a /lot/ of ground. Mind you, a fair few recipes are influenced by Northern Mexico. If that isn't your bag, I'd say go with something else. XD

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is it possible to over-marinate a leg of lamb? The recipe I'm using called for marinating it in a yogurt curry sauce for 24 hours but with my work schedule I'll probably have to do more like 40.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Fish sauce: refrigerate or no?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I don't. It's so salty I assume it's pretty stable. I could be totally wrong, I've never really bothered to find out or even read the label.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\

I don't either and have never had an issue. Squid brand, all the way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ChetReckless posted:

Fish sauce: refrigerate or no?

Got Squid and Red Boat, never refrigerate either ever, no issues

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

are you worried your rotten fish juice is gonna rot?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Entropic posted:

Is it possible to over-marinate a leg of lamb? The recipe I'm using called for marinating it in a yogurt curry sauce for 24 hours but with my work schedule I'll probably have to do more like 40.

Should be fine if you keep it in the fridge.

Am I right in assuming that if you've marinaded a meat in say turmeric, you have to have faith while browning it? It just looks yellow to me.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So I got a question:
On this bag of popcorn it lists 1 bag unpopped as 240 calories and and 1 bagged popped 220, is there a reason why there was a 20 calorie decrease?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Should be fine if you keep it in the fridge.

Am I right in assuming that if you've marinaded a meat in say turmeric, you have to have faith while browning it? It just looks yellow to me.

You can't sear something properly if it has a sauce on it. Rinse and dry your meat if you want to maillard it up.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Senior Scarybagels posted:

So I got a question:
On this bag of popcorn it lists 1 bag unpopped as 240 calories and and 1 bagged popped 220, is there a reason why there was a 20 calorie decrease?

Guessing that about 20 k/cal of butter ends up on the inside of the bag rather than the popcorn?

Don't lick the bag you goon

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Is there a good place to buy weird, exotic fruit online? I sort of want a "let's eat weird food"-themed birthday party.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Save me jeebus posted:

Guessing that about 20 k/cal of butter ends up on the inside of the bag rather than the popcorn?

Don't lick the bag you goon

But I don't lick the bag, I eat it. Waste not want not after all, but really I was kinda baffled as to how 20 calories just disappear but I guess that makes sense.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone here tried nixtamalizing at home? Things other than maize?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Squashy did it for ICSA Battle: Effort. That's probably why I got second place. Also he husbanded his own crickets. It was a Good ICSA. Wiggles killed some poo poo. It's in the 'chives – look around October/November 2011.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
:psyduck: Holy poo poo

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Anyone got a good recipe for iced tea?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

:psyduck: Holy poo poo

LOL. I made a little girl eat BUGS!
(actually she liked them and ate four)

It takes a little practice, cook time/soak time will vary by the corn, which can vary a lot. It's not rocket science, though, so try it a few times and you'll be fine. That book I linked to higher up on the page has a story about the author's elderly, blind grandmother testing the corn by touch and smell to determine when it was done.

You absolutely CAN nishmuh other grains, but I've never done it. The blog post that inspired me to fool around with process had sucess with something other then corn.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What are the rules for leftover rice?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Cool, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I'll do the muffin tin experiment and figure this cake out.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

What are the rules for leftover rice?

Toss it in the fridge, fry it up with some kimchi the next day?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can nuke it under a wet paper towel too, it's about the same as fresh that way.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You can nuke it under a wet paper towel too, it's about the same as fresh that way.

That is the worst opinion I've heard in like, 3 days man. :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Casu Marzu posted:

That is the worst opinion I've heard in like, 3 days man. :colbert:

But it's true? It's not exactly the same as fresh but it's not much different. I do it all the time for lunch at work. As long as there's some moisture in it from a wet paper towel or drizzling a bit of water in before you microwave it the rice comes right back to life. Or if I have curry I cover the rice with the curry, and it provides the moisture.

And I mean basic white sticky rice here, nothing special.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I dimly remember some health scare where it could kill you, though maybe "health scare" should tip me off not to worry too much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I dimly remember some health scare where it could kill you, though maybe "health scare" should tip me off not to worry too much.

If you leave it out at room temperature for a long time bacteria will grow in it, and it was an issue for like Chinese restaurants that would have that rice cooker full sitting on the buffet table forever. That's what you're remembering. Just put it in the fridge. Or wrap it tightly in saran wrap and freeze it, then microwave. That's a pretty common lunch thing here, I've never actually done it though.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I made the dough and filling for some cinnamon rolls two afternoons ago and I ended up having to refrigerate. I was unable to prepare them the nextmorning and now I check and the dough (cut into rolls) is flatter and a bit hard. If I just let it warm for 30 minutes and bake will it be pretty good overall or am I going to get a weird texture?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I leave rice out overnight all the time. I'm not dead yet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You got all those maggots in you, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I've left rice out way longer than overnight and I'm fine. Smell it and look for grossness.