Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
This is something I've been toying with for a long time.

redacted for publishing!

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizmar
Feb 24, 2011

Ok, Blue Jays, let's play ball!
I wrote this a couple years back, and touched it up a bit before posting it here. I didn't spell check it, so I'm sure there is an error or two....

Risperidone

I was having breakfast, when once again I saw him,

He smiled meekly, knowing he was going out on a limb.

But he was curious; asked about my kid and wife,

He had missed so much and wanted to be part of my life.

I was unsure, knowing what had happened before,

But he shook his head saying "We won't go through that door."

I pick up the bottle and looked through the orange plastic,

As he continued to reassure; "We won't do anything drastic."

So I went along and joined him that day

Breaking pro misses and going against everything my wife had to say.

We saw the old friends and colleagues from before,

Of a time long past when I could want for no more.

I was happy that day; we had so much fun

But I began to worry when day's end would come.

He told me it wouldn't if I only did him a favor,

"But be must be quite, and don't involve the neighbor"

He said my wife and kid need trouble me no more

And that this would would be ours to explore.

We'd be free as the birds in our own little way,

With the world as our sandbox, and all our friend here to play.

With me convinced, I did as he said

And ascended the stairs to awake my wife from her bed.

I can't recall and protests or signs of resistance

But my thoughts are still cloudy when I think of this instance.

I recalled the next morning, unable to find my spouse,

Until I entered that less than empty room in the house.

I had lead my family to him, just like a herd of cattle,

But my biggest regret was not seeing the doctor, when my bottle stopped its rattle.

FellowAmerican
Oct 2, 2007
I'm too busy philosophizing to get up
There is a butterfly in the glass
right there in the coaster
where the wine glass would sit
I’d stick my nose in the glass when you let me
and take a sniff that would give me goosebumps
when you weren't looking I would take a sip
but I think you knew all along

A fly might drop in
and you would say that
this is because flies are thirsty too
and when he stopped moving
you would take him out to fly again
only this time crooked

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

FellowAmerican posted:

A fly might drop in
and you would say that
only this time crooked

There's something to this, especially in the second stanza, but the first one is too confusing in its images for me. For instance,

What are we looking at here? A butterfly in a wine glass? No, it's where the wine glass would sit, but it isn't. It's not ON a coaster, it's IN (?) a coaster? I kinda like the repetition of the word "glass" here if it weren't so confusing.

The relationship I imagine here is a child and parent, but it's not entirely clear. The nature of their relationship is potent in those last two lines, however, and I like them a lot.

A fly might drop in
and you would say that
only this time crooked

This is pretty good, and a stronger first stanza would give this even more weight.

That's my advice, I'm not a professional or anything but I've taken a couple workshops and this is what I got.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

big business sloth posted:

This is something I've been toying with for a long time.

The Lonliest Man

Jay Gatsby was all alone,
but across town, Ed Hubble
felt worse, worse
by at least
two and a half million light
years distance,
several hundred billion
more distant lights, and
twenty-seven minutes,
the time he sat in his lab alone
the only human being to know
for sure
that the rest of the universe
is not ours, and
it is all
quite
unattainable.

aaahhhh this is so GOOD. The sense of scale is awesome, and I love the contrast between science and the humanities. My only complaint is the "light/years distance. . . . more distant lights" is a little confusing, but I'm also sitting directly behind a speaker in an autobody shop so yeah.

Dear poetry thread, I'm having trouble ending this poem. I want to end it on a note of "the only punishment for not complying with this bullshit is that they kick you out of their club, which they have already kicked you out of" but I can't figure out how to make it sufficiently pithy.

the grammar and punctuation and poo poo is all hosed but that's because i always write first drafts in notepad so eat me

When every suit fits like a lie
and skirts are a middling apology
for the inconvenient reality
of your legs
when madison avenue hates you
and fashion is some distant country
run by dictators and assholes
When models are little more
than hot breath in impossible configurations
it's easy to feel flawed
and lost
a lone traveler in a nation
of empire waists
and yoga pants
gently caress that noise
cut that bullshit into sailcloth
and point yourself towards kinder shores
become the admiral
of a misfit fleet
call them pilgrims
or family
Call this radical self love
you are the strength you envy in others
and others envy the strength in you
so take heart
be loud
and disorganized
Tell bad jokes while eating good food
they will try to shrink you so small
you fall between the cracks in the floorboards
let them
They can't have us
though we wish them well
what's the worst they could possibly do
really?
Shame you out of the society
that hated you before your birth?
from anyone else
that would be a kindness

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 17, 2013

typewriter
Jul 3, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

gently caress that noise

This line really ruined it for me, it's too casual for the tone of the poem. Maybe it works better when spoken? Try something that eases the transition into the sailing analogy better.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

cut that bullshit into sailcloth

The word 'bullshit' here really takes away from the imagery. I didn't understand how you went from fashion to sailing until I looked at that line separate from the rest. All I see when I read this line is a big smelly turd, leaving no room for the concept of sails made of yogapants.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

really?
Shame you out of the society
that hated you before your birth?
from anyone else
that would be a kindness

My go at the ending:

really?
Ban you from the fashion shows
and little boutiques
stuffed with haute couture?
We were only window shopping anyways.

I notice, over the course of the poem, you go from fashion to sailing to no metaphor at all to food. It really needs to be pared down. I think you should stick to the fashion viewpoint and the sailing bit, and keep the poem in that context.

Magnanimous Lurch
Jun 17, 2013
Here goes.

Reality check

At night
I was startled to find
that someone was looking at me through the window.
Anger first; at myself for failing to close the blinds,
but poo poo...
after several moments
I realized: "that's me".
I'm older now, and drat near bald.
That's not the guy who lives in my head,

and I can't seem to get up and pull the blinds anymore.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

typewriter posted:

This line really ruined it for me, it's too casual for the tone of the poem. Maybe it works better when spoken? Try something that eases the transition into the sailing analogy better.

The word 'bullshit' here really takes away from the imagery. I didn't understand how you went from fashion to sailing until I looked at that line separate from the rest. All I see when I read this line is a big smelly turd, leaving no room for the concept of sails made of yogapants.

My go at the ending:

really?
Ban you from the fashion shows
and little boutiques
stuffed with haute couture?
We were only window shopping anyways.

I notice, over the course of the poem, you go from fashion to sailing to no metaphor at all to food. It really needs to be pared down. I think you should stick to the fashion viewpoint and the sailing bit, and keep the poem in that context.

I like your ending, but I'm for keeping gently caress that Noise and the line about food is good too, but maybe you're right about paring it down to just the single metaphor. It demands to be read, as well. The casual tone is what makes it. The bullshit line could easily be substituted for something more clever since we've just had the big upheaval of gently caress That Noise (or Well, gently caress that noise. I think when you write it in that question form it reads better ["Is this your reality? Well gently caress that noise!" over "This is how it is. gently caress that noise."]), just don't ask me what that is.

The part talking about "falling through the cracks" is where the boat/sailing stuff can return again. Think planks?

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I don't know much about poetry. But I would like to.

Cold weather? said the body The hell is this?
I don't know the brain replied But I don't like it
They agreed that something should be done Something serious
Flee from this place they told the man
But I can't
Blah blah blah excuses excuses no responsibility for responsibility
Then be sick! the brain declared and the body smiled as it felt like dying

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 3, 2013

Nodus_Tollens
Sep 17, 2013
Alright, I'm just getting into writing. This is meant to be a spoken word piece so I'm a little unsure on how to translate the inflection into the actuall writing but here it goes! Thank you ahead of time for reading and any CC.

"Moments"

Sometimes I have moments.
Too far and few between moments.
Moments that when I take a breath my heart doesn't falter, moments.
Sighs of utter contentment moments.
Honest smile moments.
Moments in which I see myself in all my wonder, moments.
Diving head first into joy moments.
Letting go completely to love moments.
Moments so wonderful they make me cry, moments.
Sometimes,
But mostly I pass time trying to catch those moments.
Trying to find the secret that creates those moments.
And only finding emptiness and sorrow for not living in those, moments.
Becoming bitter that god would tease me with such moments.
Until I resent those moments.
And forget those moments.
Because being ignorant of those moments is far less painful than my soul being addicted to those moments.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Nodus_Tollens posted:

Alright, I'm just getting into writing. This is meant to be a spoken word piece so I'm a little unsure on how to translate the inflection into the actuall writing but here it goes! Thank you ahead of time for reading and any CC.

"Moments"

Sometimes I have moments.
Too far and few between moments.
Moments that when I take a breath my heart doesn't falter, moments.
Sighs of utter contentment moments.
Honest smile moments.
Moments in which I see myself in all my wonder, moments.
Diving head first into joy moments.
Letting go completely to love moments.
Moments so wonderful they make me cry, moments.
Sometimes,
But mostly I pass time trying to catch those moments.
Trying to find the secret that creates those moments.
And only finding emptiness and sorrow for not living in those, moments.
Becoming bitter that god would tease me with such moments.
Until I resent those moments.
And forget those moments.
Because being ignorant of those moments is far less painful than my soul being addicted to those moments.

Repetition is okay, but some of those Moments are unnecessary (like the ones that come after a line, moments). I get that this is a John Lennon "Life is what happens when you are making other plans" kind of thing, like trying to live moments means you actually miss the moments or whatever, the thing is 1. That's not a terribly interesting idea, and 2. Your examples here are too vague. Sometimes writers try to be vague I feel so that nothing alienates the reader, they can take everything and make it their own. Sort of like a horoscope. You don't want your writing to be like a horoscope. When you write, "Moments so wonderful they make me cry" I want to know, specifically, what that moment is. Down to every detail. Ever notice that an observation like (and I have no idea why this is my example) "This nerd in his lovely car was playing rap music too loud and turned it down sheepishly when I drove past" is less interesting and funny than "This nerd in his drat Nissan Altima all driving up blasting the Geto Boys at a billion decibels until I roll past."

I think if you re-write this but dig into yourself to find specificities that really hit home, you still won't have a coherent poem but you'll have the starting points for a dozen others.

Nodus_Tollens
Sep 17, 2013

Repetition is okay, but some of those Moments are unnecessary (like the ones that come after a line, moments). I get that this is a John Lennon "Life is what happens when you are making other plans" kind of thing, like trying to live moments means you actually miss the moments or whatever, the thing is 1. That's not a terribly interesting idea, and 2. Your examples here are too vague. Sometimes writers try to be vague I feel so that nothing alienates the reader, they can take everything and make it their own. Sort of like a horoscope. You don't want your writing to be like a horoscope. When you write, "Moments so wonderful they make me cry" I want to know, specifically, what that moment is. Down to every detail. Ever notice that an observation like (and I have no idea why this is my example) "This nerd in his lovely car was playing rap music too loud and turned it down sheepishly when I drove past" is less interesting and funny than "This nerd in his drat Nissan Altima all driving up blasting the Geto Boys at a billion decibels until I roll past."

I think if you re-write this but dig into yourself to find specificities that really hit home, you still won't have a coherent poem but you'll have the starting points for a dozen others.

Thank you! I wasn't going for the John Lennon example you gave so that's the first issue I suppose. This whole idea spawned off of a realization that every once and while I have a moment where I'm actually happy. Truly unequivocally happy. But most of the time I'm depressed. I'd like to get that feeling across so I think ill start over But I love your idea about digging in to each line and finding starting points for more poems. Im just starting to write creatively so having prompts like that will help me write everyday. Thanks again

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Sure. I actually see what you mean now on a re-read. By the way, I like the "diving headfirst into joy" moment best, because that's a vivid action and although I guess that could be someone diving into something like a pool (as joy) for some reason my first instinct was a more violent image. I dunno, see where it goes.

Since you're just starting out, as I was about a year ago, the other thing I can relate that helped me a lot was to pay attention to all the other things you read/watch/listen to, and evaluate them on your own creative terms. Next time in a movie someone is joyous, ask, "would I say that they are 'diving headfirst' into it?" and if they aren't, how would you say they are doing it?

Also, avoid big words like "soul" unless you absolutely mean it. Something like that is usually the punchline.

----------------

Here is something I wrote yesterday from browsing D&D too much. I think there might be a better ending to this.

Dear Rush Limbaugh

I saw a picture of your
New York penthouse bedroom
on the internet
the other day.
It was pretty gaudy,
to say the least,
the ceiling was painted
not unlike a certain Chapel
in Italy
with a sky scene,
complete with birds
and a wreath of clouds.
This kind of facsimile
could only be called fitting, I guess,
given all of the lies you had to trade for it.

Upon further reading
it seems you put it all up for sale
finding no pleasure in your false canopy, I guess.
It just wasn’t doing its job
in playing the part of the sky.
There’s no lie big enough to trade for that,
I’m sorry to say, but the solution is simple,
and I offer it to you for free:
Take a saw to that great congregation of wood,
cut it right out, end the charade, and
let the supreme truth hang over you
as you sleep,
though I admit
it may get cold at night,
colder than you’re used to.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Dear Rush Limbaugh

I don't know. I think the ending is fine. The broader message is about self-awareness and real truth versus a facsimile or uninspired substitute. The cold harshness of reality, that is, of being out in a real, non-industrialized setting, has numerous effects, most notably discomfort.

quote:

This kind of facsimile
could only be called fitting, I guess,
given all of the lies you had to trade for it.

I get that the creation of a false reality has allowed him to create a false reality for himself, but tying in the painted ceiling with a false reality is key to the overall message. It's not just a facsimile (a substitute), but an outright lie. What I'm saying is that facsimile works, but some other word might work better.

-----------

Here's one I wrote a day or two ago. It's called Austerity. I'm new to this so feel free to correct anything obvious I should be aware of. The syllables go 8,8,10 and its iambic. Why? I don't know.

I am on a rustic seaplane
but there is no map and no gas
it looks like I'll be hitting dirt real soon

It is a partisan desert
no spice of life, no hope of more
it looks like I'll be eating dirt real soon

I've been buried by mountain folk
I can't even find room to wheeze
it looks like I'll be breathing dirt real soon

And when no one can trade for all
the phony things that glitter round
Looks like we'll all be hitting dirt real soon

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Thanks-- I should have looked up the exact definition of facsimile before I used it there.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

StickySweater posted:

Here's one I wrote a day or two ago. It's called Austerity. I'm new to this so feel free to correct anything obvious I should be aware of. The syllables go 8,8,10 and its iambic. Why? I don't know.

I amconsider contractions here and passim on a rusticrusty? seaplane
but there is no map and no gas
it looks like I'll be hitting dirt real soon

Itis "it" austerity? is a partisancould change desertdoesn't exactly jive with "dirt"
no spice ofin or to? life, no hope of more
it looks like I'll be eating dirt real soon

I've been buried by mountaindesert, mountain, or dirt? folk
I can't evendelete? find room to wheeze
it looks like I'll be breathing dirt real soon

And when no one can trade for all
the phony things that glitter round
Looks like we'll all be hitting dirt real soon

Line edits and word suggestions in the quote!

Overall: This is a neat piece. The shifting repetition in your third lines is enjoyable and has a nice "mutating villanelle" form. I'd be hesitant to change anything in the last stanza, the enjambment is perfect and you have a nice pun on "round" (round as in shape or as in "around"). Yes, the piece is sufficiently "austere" if you were wondering.

Content: A plane is flying over a desert without direction or fuel, crashes in a "partisan" desert--i.e., a space which is fiercely contested though it bears no value. The burial and suffocation is interesting, but I'm curious about why you chose "mountain folk." Finally, a fantasy that the curtains will be pulled back on capitalism, and a nightmare of what that may entail. I do feel confused about where the action of the poem is, because of your conflicting images of location. The political statement in stanza 4 is nice, but "partisan" feels a bit shoehorned. "Spice of life" works but I want to see you do even a little something with the cliche phrase.

Third lines: I wonder if you need "real." What's wrong with just saying "soon"?

Formal thoughts: so, you say it's 8/8/10 iambic (:eng101::tetrameter and pentameter). But right away, your first line is actually trochaic (I am ON a RUStic SEAplane), while the second line wants to go trochaic ("but there is no map and gas") but is disappointed by that second "no." You might take another look at your meter and see if it's really working for you, because sometimes it turns out great (especially in the third lines) but in other places I think it's getting in your way. And on a more interpretive note, I think using a strong meter might be the opposite of austere--this is a gross oversimplification, but meter can have associations with both the Bible and ornate, "rich" poems from the Renaissance and Romantic periods.

E: I just realized you said you're new to this, but I think there's good promise in the poem so I wrote more detailed comments. Let me know if you're unfamiliar with any terms.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I checked out an anthology of American light verse on a whim, and it's gotten me interested in the rhythmic structure of poetry. I was delighted by its examples of the double dactyl verse form, and I wrote a silly poem of my own to try to get a better grasp on meter.

Higgledy-Piggledy
William Harrison
Gave a monotonous
Speech at a price.

Will learned post-factually,
Autodidactically:
Any good speaker should
Keep it concise.

What are some good resources for learning about meter?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

quote:

Cold weather? said the body The hell is this?
I don't know the brain replied But I don't like it
They agreed that something should be done Something serious
Flee from this place they told the man
But I can't
Blah blah blah excuses excuses no responsibility for responsibility
Then be sick! the brain declared and the body smiled as it felt like dying

I actually quite like this, except for the penultimate line. There's something nice about the lackadaiscal tone and the punctuation (lack of) excites me. Plus I like the scenario, which seems to be hypothermia... a nifty exploration of the drifting off and loss of decision-making power. "The hell is this" is a little awkward, I like the idea of colloquialism but it doesn't come across quite right here.

quote:

Higgledy-Piggledy
William Harrison
Gave a monotonous
Speech at a price.

Will learned post-factually,
Autodidactically:
Any good speaker should
Keep it concise.

According to the Wiki page you linked, it's a very good example of the form: it meets all the criteria, and it's cute and funny.

Untitled (The space between)

The space between the eyeballs and the glasses' lenses
a muscular distance, twisted
and tense. This gives the head a strange new sensation,
overfull-dimensional. She,
with her hair falling out.
It will grow back, do not doubt.

Yes God is in the bandstand, a dog is on the field;
we'll try our best, give it a go, give it a whirl,
we'll laugh and run around and have our fun,
play the game pretend the way we saw it on TV,
it's true that was a live feed, nothing fictional.

In the room the motors whir,
giving the air a sonic thickness.
She can see the fibrillation;
outside the glasses' lenses the soupy light
of the fluorescents takes on a different timbre.
The gown is like a cornflower bib.
Nothing is wrong. Nothing is wrong.
Her diaphragm is paper, folded seven times.

There was that day on the beach
she laughed and cried
Nothing is hidden,
Nothing is hidden from me.
She tasted the tears of everyday triumph,
how she would go in and out with the sun
and the moon and the stars. Each day
its little differences, and the dumb-wise birds,
and the flower-fields without any answers,
and the silent sky cascading down invisibly.

Here is how she prepares an ice cream cone:
with a spoon, not a scoop; delicately.
A little at first, pressed and finessed
and tamped down and poked at
to fill the depths. A little more, the middle
and the top now, shaped and smoothed. If more than one flavor,
the second scoop unlike the first, and the order
carefully considered. Finally,
a plop or two on top, shaped as well
for integrity and edibility. Licking and biting,
she reduces it, curating with diligence,
attending first this side, then that;
the cone she leaves untouched until
the ice cream is level, then biting to reduce it,
another new mound exposed, this reduced,
then the cone further removed;
at last, at long last, the end-melt,
in one long-awaited, sharp
and mushy mouth-
ful.

The stupid sea into which sinks the 'snow,'
so called 'sea snow,' the grey-white
descent of death into the deep, the dark
where colors bioluminesce; skin cells,
deceased biota, birdshit and fishshit,
turtleshit and squidshit, expired jellies;
these and others, cycling slowly, ever-downward,
a thousand feet down and nine hundred feet up, churned
and churned for a hundred years, two
hundred, three; an exchange of energy
and ecosystem, this vertical transmission.

The hairband on her wrist
is a long-forgotten constriction.
Today will not be the day.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kevin DuBrow posted:

What are some good resources for learning about meter?

Derek Attridge's Poetic Rhythm: An Introduction. If you want more detail, his earlier The Rhythms of English Poetry is excellent.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

nomadologique posted:

I actually quite like this, except for the penultimate line. There's something nice about the lackadaiscal tone and the punctuation (lack of) excites me. Plus I like the scenario, which seems to be hypothermia... a nifty exploration of the drifting off and loss of decision-making power. "The hell is this" is a little awkward, I like the idea of colloquialism but it doesn't come across quite right here.

Do you think it would be better to simply cut the offending line then? I'm not married to it and part of me likes cutting it. However, I'm worried that without something in between "But I can't" and "Then be sick"... I don't know. There's just something abrupt about it.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
Rewrite it. What I don't particularly like is the repetition of blah blah blah... and the responsibility/responsibility doesn't really make sense to me (I don't actually know what it means). There's something a little too loose, overall, about the tone, despite the fact that I said I liked the lackadaisical tone of the rest of the poem.

FellowAmerican
Oct 2, 2007
I'm too busy philosophizing to get up
When it happened you started crying
And I ran inside to get towels
I got back, and there it was
A red snail trail
down your leg to the shin
You kept saying you were sorry
you had no reason to be

I licked my thumb and wiped away that lighting bolt
Repeating the process
I taste iron

I held the rags to your thigh
I held them tight
And these vermilion minor shapes appeared
On to my hands
An accident you said
I know I replied
There were no band aids
So I held your thigh until it stopped.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

FellowAmerican posted:

When it happened you started crying - you'll tell them soon enough what 'it' is
And I ran inside to get towels
I got back, and there it was
A red snail trail
down your leg to the shin
You kept saying you were sorry
you had no reason to be
-You're going for a really sparse style here, and as the focus is on her blood, keep the focus there. Your actions can be assumed because hey, towels.

I licked my thumb and wiped away that lighting bolt
Repeating the process
I tasteing iron
-I like the imagery here, so tighten it. Present tense would carry more weight. The semi-creepiness of licking up her blood despite just fetching towels plays up the intimacy. I'd honestly end the poem here.

I held the rags to your thigh
I held them tight
And these vermilion minor shapes appeared
On to my hands
An accident you said
I know I replied
There were no band aids
So I held your thigh until it stopped.
-Everything here can be assumed from the first stanza. Plus you mention rags when you first used towels, minor shape doesn't show us anything, and while I thought this was a period or miscarriage piece, now I'm not so sure. Now it just sounds like a thigh wound. I like the poem though; there's something kinda awesome about watching acceptance and aid of something that's happened to a lot of us.

I've been on a poetry kick lately, and really miss getting critiques. I've been toying with this one so long, I can't see the holes, so tear away:

Little Sister

The bottom of the fourth largest river in the world is hilled and holed,
current slithering under sun-stained shallows,
mud stirred by pearl-sized toes.
Two tiny girls,
we could tread, dive, and paddle, hold our own;
wouldn't be a Monday morning announcement
because we swam too close to a barge, a dam.

Curls inhaled with thrashing bubbles,
eyes and freckles running together the third time
you force my head under
it roars it really roars the Mississippi
when it swallows someone pushed off a sandbar
just get one foot just get one foot up where the sand won't slide away
(my legs are flailing, failing)
but -breathe- but
I won't be a moment of silence; I have
nails in your arm, vomiting
"If you shove me again,
we will both drown."

Later,
when you get on a plane
with the gift of a black eye
and we don't talk at christmas,
won't have to tell you why.

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009
Greetings all, really looking for some input here. I've been writing poetry for myself for something like half my life and only recently started to take it seriously. I've started work towards self-publishing my first collection with the help of my lovely girlfriend. Anyway, I found this thread and quite liked some of what I read and hope you can give me some critiques.

First one:

Looking back on autumn,
the air colored warm with turning oak leaves,
and dry dust kicking up from dying lawns,
as I walk along calm suburban streets,
my feet dragging on the pavement in front of a church.

And nothing yet felt a rush
before living life on borrowed time,
so with my backpack heavy on my shoulders,
I stared steadily at my shoes
thoughts caught up in the fresh memory of school.

Passing strangers here and there,
taking barks from tied up dogs with no patience,
the small fears pushed me on, gently hurried me home
to more familiar things, to safer grounds
where I could be distracted from myself.

The day would draw itself up on its tired legs,
and walk out into the night,
and I prayed for it to never come back,
to leave me alone, to let me stop and relax
to let me dream for a while, to let me think.

But the day would grow while I had my eyes closed
and some dread would linger in my heart
while I wished to stay contained in fantasy.
So obligation pushed me on, became my reason,
which is no good reason at all.

Second one:

because i sing to you and mark my heart with the memory of your kiss,
because i sigh to an empty bed and wrench my sheets into a twist,
because you let me in and buy me things and laugh so sweet,
i turn the volume up and play warm love songs on repeat

because i think too much and say strange things with awkward grins,
because you see right through everything i do, every single sin,
because we talk all night and dance to music only we can hear,
i hold you gently in my arms so that you don’t disappear.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

I needs it for reasons.

quiet enjoyment posted:

Greetings all, really looking for some input here. I've been writing poetry for myself for something like half my life and only recently started to take it seriously. I've started work towards self-publishing my first collection with the help of my lovely girlfriend. Anyway, I found this thread and quite liked some of what I read and hope you can give me some critiques.

Second one:

because i sing to you and mark my heart with the memory of your kiss, - 'Memory' seems superfluous, an unnecessary abstraction. Pick something sensory: brand, notch, dent.
because i sigh to an empty bed and wrench my sheets into a twist, - For a two stanza poem, you can do better than an assonance. 'Wrench' is awkward.
because you let me in and buy me things and laugh so sweet, - and, and, and - get rid of them. 'Buy me things' - what things? Do they really buy your affection and is that what you want to go for? 'Laugh so sweet' - how sweet?
i turn the volume up and play warm love songs on repeat - After the agony you're going for in the previous lines, 'warm' doesn't cut it. This is love, not comfort food. Also, don't say love in a love poem.

because i think too much and say strange things with awkward grins, - You have a lot of abstractions which don't tell us anything. 'Too much'/'strange'/'awkward' - compared to what? How does this have an effect?
because you see right through everything i do, every single sin, - If you can punctuate, you can capitalize. The end of a line is already a pause.
because we talk all night and dance to music only we can hear, - 'Only we' is awkward.
i hold you gently in my arms so that you don’t disappear. - This stanza has no weight to it. It's passive actions and some over-used ideas, like 'talk all night' and 'music only we can hear.' The big problem I see with this piece is that it's completely impersonal; I have no idea who you or the subject are, what makes your feelings special enough for a poem, or why you're in love. Write something that makes you uncomfortable.

Revise. Revise. Revise. Every single word needs to be examined, even the ones you just throw in as part of a sentence. This isn't a sentence or song lyrics; it's poetry, and any word that doesn't contribute directly to the piece needs to go. Is it there because of your rhyme structure? Why are you using that structure?

quote:

The day would draw itself up on its tired legs, -Owner can be assumed.
and walk out into the night, -If you're personifying day, it makes it a little awkward to extend the metaphor and have it walk into the night.
and I prayed for it to never come back,

This, to me, is the meat of the poem. These three lines are strong and personal and I really like them. Everything else is just repeating or waffling.

Over a decade ago, I had a writing professor who taught me more than anyone before or since, and when critiquing poetry, he liked to say, "Don't be upset that you only saved one line. That one line was worth writing everything else to produce." Also, "don't get married to your metaphors. If something's really good but doesn't fit, ax it. It deserves a poem of its own."

Khashie
May 21, 2007
Attempt #1

Drip across
Between my eyes, down my nose, onto red cheeks.
Salty streaks born high above, spiraling down, weighed with pity.
Sinking through porous skin, near-frozen veins, heavenly mercy within me.
Forgiven for believing in all-powerful winged holy babies. ~Fin yo.

Seriously though, my English sucks and I stopped really trying after "veins", I really need to brush up on my punctuation, grammar, and general knowledge of the English language before I attempt to write poetry.

Franke My Dear
Oct 30, 2013
who the fuck are you and why should i give a shit about your stupid post? i read it and you're shit.

do you even lift? no, if you came close to me you'd be unconscious, you smug self-satisfied piece of shit. i could kick your ass... faggot. cheers
It was the other day...
A single
White
Flower
Fell from the sky.
Its path got interrupted
By a granite monolith.
The cement was hard.
We enjoyed the moment
Just the flower and me
Together.
Yet so apart.
We fell through each other
Our paths met for one moment
Then we touched the ground.
There are so many paths to get to our destination
It's not always the fastest route
We go to
We go through
Intersections.
Interconnectedness
I liked the way the flower smelled
And I smiled.

Franke My Dear
Oct 30, 2013
who the fuck are you and why should i give a shit about your stupid post? i read it and you're shit.

do you even lift? no, if you came close to me you'd be unconscious, you smug self-satisfied piece of shit. i could kick your ass... faggot. cheers

Khashie posted:

Attempt #1

Drip across
Between my eyes, down my nose, onto red cheeks.
Salty streaks born high above, spiraling down, weighed with pity.
Sinking through porous skin, near-frozen veins, heavenly mercy within me.
Forgiven for believing in all-powerful winged holy babies. ~Fin yo.

Seriously though, my English sucks and I stopped really trying after "veins", I really need to brush up on my punctuation, grammar, and general knowledge of the English language before I attempt to write poetry.
What is the imagery you're trying to evoke? The narrator's a woman right?

Khashie
May 21, 2007

Franke My Dear posted:

What is the imagery you're trying to evoke? The narrator's a woman right?

Yeah, but the gender wasn't the focus.

I started it with an idea of a kind of paradox(?), the heavens were crying for the person ( the people) because they felt sorry that the people believed in heaven.

Khashie
May 21, 2007

Franke My Dear posted:

It was the other day...
A single
White
Flower
Fell from the sky.
Its path got interrupted --- Its path interrupted
By a granite monolith.
The cement was hard. --- Is it necessary?
We enjoyed the moment
Just the flower and me
Together.
Yet so apart.
We fell through each other
Our paths met for one moment
Then we touched the ground.

There are so many paths to get to our destination-----------
We go to
We go through -------------------------- I feel like you're just explaining the whole point here to me and that this is its own thing, kind of in the middle of the two parts of the poem.
Intersections.
Interconnectedness ---------------------

I liked the way the flower smelled
And I smiled.

Did my best :downsgun:

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

I needs it for reasons.

Franke My Dear posted:

It was the other day... - Unless this is the title of the poem, get rid of this. A specific day would be relevant, but not any day which could be 'the other day'
A single
White
Flower
Fell from the sky. - I like this part. You use spacing well to give us a clear picture of a lazily tumbling flower, and by not telling us where it came from, it gains that sense of otherness or loneliness you play on later.
Its path got interrupted
By a granite monolith.
The cement was hard. - Is this the granite monolith? This really confuses the imagery. Monolith is typically something above us and this swaps perspective.
We enjoyed the moment
Just the flower and me - I. Unless the established voice is grammatically incorrect [which it hasn't been so far] or you're rhyming [and I works well with sky], stick with the proper pronoun. For just, you've established a monolith there, unless you're calling out living things.
Together. - Redundant
Yet so apart. - Over-dramatic. You don't explain HOW far apart.
We fell through each other - subjects are established
Our paths met for one moment - same
Then we touched the ground. - Are you falling along with the flower? Are you hovering? Did the flower get dislodged from the monolith? Clarify.
There are so many paths to get to our destination - This section stumbles into unexplained abstractions and over-explaining.
We go to
We go through
Intersections.
Interconnectedness - What an awkward word.
I liked the way the flower smelled - How did the flower smell? Why did you like it?
And I smiled.

The idea I get from this is an unexpected connection between living things, which is more than amply explained by the interaction of you and the flower. People will get the metaphor, so focus on the details. Qualify your statements, flesh out the sensations. If you're focusing on something that made an emotional impact on you, don't go into a lecture.

My turn! Rip away, ladies and gents.

Rock in the Age of Yuppies

Pressed against
the smell of digesting lunches/cigarettes,
elbows, doughy guts,
and lack of respect
guy behind me whooping like punctuation/breath
want to spit in your open yap
but i’m prepossessed, glaring around the tallest fucker here and
see on stage fat white men, poorly dressed
shuffling past fog machines
with hangovers, half-smiles,
nodding like Alzheimer queens
incanting
one
two
three and
we drown in pit-stained oval office-clenched community
swear the roof will pop
swear the room can’t hold the
thump of bodies on rails
teeth locked in a vibrating smile
cells split and filled with sound
eardrums lost in the bleat of feedback, then re-found
you’re forgiven, guy behind
shrieking like your heart has burst
revived with splattered strobelights and heat
all you did
was miss the beat

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
yes yes yes yes gently caress that is glorious

Khashie
May 21, 2007
Wow.. That was fantastic.

Khashie
May 21, 2007
Spark

Sometimes you see a tiny spark
Tiny indeed it does not last long
But far goes a little light in total dark
It can awaken, it can start
A whole range of motions, a whole train of thought

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

I needs it for reasons.
Thank you. :3: Poetry got shoved to the wayside for years while I concentrated on fiction, but man, it feels so good to be writing this poo poo again.

Khashie posted:

Spark

Sometimes you see a tiny spark - Where is the spark coming from? What are the circumstances in which you'd see one?
Tiny indeed it does not last long - I'd use won't/can't here to keep the cadence
But far goes a little light in total dark - Light and dark are two of the most over-used words in poetry, so they need to be creatively defined. How dark is total dark? What does the light look like against that?
It can awaken, it can start - Digging your alliteration and beat through this.
A whole range of motions, a whole train of thought - I'd use this line to describe awaken/start or cut it completely. Give us sensations.

Overall, it reads like a good start to something. A light in the dark can be a metaphor for so many things, so I'd expand this out and elaborate on what you're going for. If you're continuing the last line, go into what sort of motion is inspired by a spark, specifically, what YOU would do. Poetry should be personal. Don't worry about alienating readers because they may think differently.

I've been mucking with this for the past week and a half. It's almost as much of an rear end in a top hat as the person that inspired it, and I think it's close, but not exactly there yet.

Two Sociopaths

(you)
your body’s warping space
the steps away are ex-ponentially
ex-potentially harder to make
(inherent charismatic quality)
swirling around every mistake
(absorbed from those who get too close)
who event your horizon and can’t escape
(i)
infrared revealed a heart
(energy expended leaves a mark)
observation can’t back up
(been digging through this rib-lined hole)
just supernova wit so far
(while)
ten million light years distant,
two self-centered galaxies are
(how many satellites will be inhumed?)
eclipsing, colliding, crashing, collapsing
(the weaker one consumed)

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Two Sociopaths

Apologies in advance if I read like I'm writing a paper over this.

I like it and, for as much as my opinion is worth, I think you've succeeded in what you say you were trying to do with the poem.

The dual personas (if that was what you were aiming for) really add depth to the poem, and excellently subvert the meaning of each other's lines, especially "Infrared reveals a mark // (Expended energy leaves a mark)" and the last two lines, both of which I thought made excellent use of differing points of view to destroy the imagery of the line before it. The unromantic "well scientifically here's why the heart can be seen" contrasts quite nicely to the more philosophical "The weakest will be eaten by the strongest - such is life" messages which help create a persistent character for the brackets as a 'realist', focused on what's in front of him - and an rear end in a top hat.

I find the assholery serves to make the more metaphorical imagery in the poem more stronger (try taking that out of context) because the imagery still seems poignant after reading the perspective the 2nd persona puts on the poem. I'm interested in the choice of ex-potentially where exponentially could work just as well - though I know both meanings are valid and both add very different meanings, but I'm interested in your choice.

If I were to offer any criticism (which I know is half the point, but), you attempt to use a single bracket of words in-between verses (stanzas?) - while the last one

quote:

(while)
Acts as a powerful link between the two parties, the other two uses ( (you) at the beginning of the poem and (I) on line 9) don't feel as potent, and are honestly kind of jarring as they're sort of disconnected to the rest of the poem, serving less as a transition and more as a bump in the road. I like the technique, and understand the first one serves to make a group of three, but honestly I think the first can be lost and the second should probably be changed. In addition, the last line can be shortened as the consumption imagery is final enough, the weakness you mention is implied by the line before it. Something like this:

quote:

(you)
your body’s warping space
the steps away are ex-ponentially
ex-potentially harder to make
(inherent charismatic quality)
swirling around every mistake
(absorbed from those who get too close)
who event your horizon and can’t escape
(iMe)
infrared revealed a heart
(energy expended leaves a mark)
observation can’t back up
(been digging through this rib-lined hole)
(while) <- really like this
two self-centered galaxies are
(how many satellites will be inhumed?)
eclipsing, colliding, crashing, collapsing
(the weaker one consumed)
May work better? I'm not sure how much of this would interfere with the direction you wanted to poem to go in, but still.

TL;DR version - I really liked the imagery, the techniques used and the poem overall. You're basically entirely right with your opening statement. See whatever people think, but I like it.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

I needs it for reasons.
The criticism is greatly appreciated, and you pointed out a few stylistic choices or metaphors I wasn't fully aware of, such as the idea that the bracketed lines are one of the two personas. As much as I'd like to say the piece is high-minded or a debate between the realistic and romantic self, it's really just a person I have a crush on, why we're attracted to each other, and talking myself out of it. [Required disclaimer that it's not up to the author to dictate a reader's meaning.]

Originally, I had a glib closing line about canceling a date, recognizing that we're not at all good for each other and bringing the piece back down to a personal level, but cut it since I couldn't get it to fit. Perhaps I should find a way to work it or a similar idea back in since not having it seems to change the context a lot.

I had the '(you) your', '(i) infrared' for the matching opening letters, to set up a clear delineation between myself and the guy, and to interrupt the flow of the poem because sociopaths are very much ME and MINE [also why the rhythm and length of each sub-section differs]. That said, it may be too much of an interruption, or it needs to be compensated for in some way.

'The weaker one' is pretty ham-fisted, I agree. Removing 'eclipsing' also fixes the cadence concerns and lets the poem work with 'present tense,' 'present tense,' 'present tense,' 'past.'

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

It hasn't been a good year for me.

Locked-Ward Blues

Darnell poo poo in the sink,
again;

wedged his narrow
rear end into the basin
and fogged
the steel mirror
chestnut-brown.

Woke me
with that animal stench
while the Restoril
wrestled me
bodily
back down into the
fluorescent hum
of the dream-pit.

The nurses caught him
trying to scald his balls off
in my shower. Carried him out
on the vinyl curtain, moaning.
No one--
least of all me--
knew why
he kept returning
to my bathroom.
I suppose,
when everything
past the nurse's station
is off-limits,
you take your freedom
where you can.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

I needs it for reasons.
I'm sorry. I hope it's getting better. :glomp:

I really liked this piece, and by liked, I mean my stomach churned and I started sweating from the memories. It's loving terrifying and isolating when you're under, and your poem calls out a facet of mental illness that a lot of people just try to ignore: actions that look like random crazy usually aren't random; they're all you can do to gain a semblance of control.

The voice you used here is perfect: yourself as an empathetic observer draws us into examining Darnell's actions in a different light by the end, and there's a horrifying clinical feel to how you relay these events that's extremely effective. You don't have to call out that the environment itself is hosed up, because of course it's hosed up. There's no option of it being otherwise, and that awareness/resignation is baked into every line. There's a suggestion that only the drug's restraints prevent you from doing what he's doing and no one should be sure that that restraint is the better option.

budgieinspector posted:

It hasn't been a good year for me.

Locked-Ward Blues

Darnell poo poo in the sink,
again;

wedged his narrow
rear end into the basin
and fogged
the steel mirror - I know there's a reason to distinguish that the mirror is not glass, but you have a number of [adjective] [noun] already with 'narrow rear end,' 'animal stench,' and 'chestnut brown.'
chestnut-brown.

Woke me with that - Moving the line break here cleans up the cadence.
animal stench
while the Restoril - You've personified the drug with 'wrestled,' so 'the' seems to dilute the name.
wrestled me
bodily -I like the sound of bodily, but it feels implied with the preceeding action.
back down into the
fluorescent hum -I like this bit so much. A drug haze under hospital lights is exactly this.
of the dream-pit.

The nurses caught him
trying to scald his balls off
in my shower. Carried him out
on the vinyl curtain, moaning.
No one--
least of all me-- -You follow this with why you guess he did this.
knew why
he kept returning
to my bathroom.
I suppose,
when everything
past the nurse's station
is off-limits,
you take your freedom
where you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Thanks so much for the feedback. It really pinpointed some of the issues I was having with the piece. And this:

quote:

while the Restoril - You've personified the drug with 'wrestled,'

Now that you mention it, if I'm already personifying the poo poo, it ought to have an honorific, or a title, or something.

• Locked thread