Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

Join me in the benediction:

Look to your supermoto and it will protect you
We guard it with our lives
Your supermoto is your soul, and your orange plastics it's armour
The soul of the supermoto is the shield of humanity
Honour the craft of wheelies
Only the KTM is higher in our devotion
Honour the supermotos at balance point
We ask only for orange

My Yamaha is orange, too :shobon:

I've even bought an orange pump for it, and an orange handlebar pad. I just want to be part of the club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KozmoNaut posted:

My Yamaha is orange, too :shobon:

Burn the heretic.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

There is a KTM dirtbike front fender on my DRZ right now because the stock suzuki one flopped around too much at speed. It is obnoxiously orange and will be painted black or something very soon

:can:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

apatite posted:

There is a KTM dirtbike front fender on my DRZ right now because the stock suzuki one flopped around too much at speed. It is obnoxiously orange and will be painted black or something very soon

You must not cover up the holiest of colors!

To repent, you must buy something orange and Germanic (I have one, and it is awesome).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^ goddamnit I was not fast enough ^^^^

apatite posted:

Kill the mutant.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/ktm-set-to-launch-rc125-200-and-390/23689.html

But you say, Z3n, you stupid bastard, this is the supermoto thread. Who cares about stupid little sportbikes, those are made for passing with great prejudice on the finest, most superior mankiller, the glorious KTM 690 SMC.

And I say - peace be with you child, for we have been gifted a fine steed this day. The DRZ will no longer infest the garages of the nearly worthy, instead, there is a KTM for those unworthy of the mantel of the 690. The RC390 is simply the illusion and misdirection for the new child of god, the 390 Supermoto.

Join me in the benediction:

Look to your supermoto and it will protect you
We guard it with our lives
Your supermoto is your soul, and your orange plastics it's armour
The soul of the supermoto is the shield of humanity
Honour the craft of wheelies
Only the KTM is higher in our devotion
Honour the supermotos at balance point
We ask only for orange

Firstly, that looks like a terrible render. Secondly, yeah, lemme just take that big underslung aluminum box offroad or down a flight of stairs. DRZ supremacy reigns supreme.

EVERY DAY I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM MY BIKE DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Firstly, that looks like a terrible render. Secondly, yeah, lemme just take that big underslung aluminum box offroad or down a flight of stairs. DRZ supremacy reigns supreme.

I'm pretty sure that's the RC, not the SM.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well I'm sure they'll change that for the sumo version. After all, that's what they did with the duke/690 sm. But drat just think about how much fun a DRZ that's probably 20% lighter, actually makes good power stock, and has awesome suspension will be.

Also yeah that must be a render. But a RC390 would be so much fun around track too, so that's a thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"maybe in 2015,lol" -an anonymous source

*presses cancel button on "DRZ FOR SALE" sign printout*

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

"maybe in 2015,lol" -an anonymous source

*presses cancel button on "DRZ FOR SALE" sign printout*

What, you don't want to be like every 690 owner on this board and either never ride your bike or pine over something you sold years ago? :v:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

What, you don't want to be like every 690 owner on this board and either never ride your bike or pine over something you sold years ago? :v:

Hey! I resemble that statement!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I keep smelling burning at stoplights, then I lean to the right and remember that there's still a ton of cheap polyester/acrylic/something pant material melted onto my Yosh exhaust from the DGR. I wonder what the PO did with the heat shield.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That RC390 sure has a big "125" on the side

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

That RC390 sure has a big "125" on the side

Its a render by Visordown but apparently KTM is wrapping Duke 125/200 and 390's as RC versions.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

Shut up!

Strangely the 390 Duke is selling brand new for less than used DRZ's in Australia.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

I already did the latter with my original DRZ, which is why I have another now

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I did some clutch in wheelies on the way home from work on my DRZ and I'm all :3: still, way more fun than WOT wheelies.

Also saw a bright orange duke while outside flipping signs and :drat: do they look mean.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I was out exploring around an old overgrown abandoned highway and found some awesome trails someone had cut in with four-wheelers.

Dang, dirt riders have some balls that I don't yet possess. Although with street tires, there where a lot more "if I slow down, I'll never make it" situations than I'm sure someone with knobbies would have had. I want to go back every day. A trespassing charge can't be that bad, right?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Post Workout Peach posted:

while outside flipping signs

This is a gang thing right?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Just had both tires on the DRZ SM replaced with Pilot Power rear (150) front (120).

I'm experiencing some sort of up/down bouncing/shaking when riding in a straight line on a nicely paved road, which I noticed when the brake line which loops up and over the dash was bouncing around more than usual. I don't know much about suspension, so I'm not used to evaluating these kinds of things yet. If I ride up to 100kph, pull the clutch and coast back down, it's worst right around 60kph.

I checked tire pressure when I got home (I should have done this right after the tire change, I know), and it was 33 front, 36 rear. The internet leads me to believe it should be much lower, like 24 front, 29 rear. I adjusted the tire pressure as such and rode around the block, which didn't seem to help.

I don't have a stand, otherwise I'd lift the bike and spin the wheels, looking for imperfections. Maybe it's time for a stand.

Suggestions?

Edit: Clymer says 25 front, 29-33 rear.

epswing fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 10, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Check your chain.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

epalm posted:

Just had both tires on the DRZ SM replaced with Pilot Power rear (150) front (120).

I'm experiencing some sort of up/down bouncing/shaking when riding in a straight line on a nicely paved road, which I noticed when the brake line which loops up and over the dash was bouncing around more than usual. I don't know much about suspension, so I'm not used to evaluating these kinds of things yet. If I ride up to 100kph, pull the clutch and coast back down, it's worst right around 60kph.

I checked tire pressure when I got home (I should have done this right after the tire change, I know), and it was 33 front, 36 rear. The internet leads me to believe it should be much lower, like 24 front, 29 rear. I adjusted the tire pressure as such and rode around the block, which didn't seem to help.

I don't have a stand, otherwise I'd lift the bike and spin the wheels, looking for imperfections. Maybe it's time for a stand.

Suggestions?

Edit: Clymer says 25 front, 29-33 rear.

I've noticed that bike shops don't know dick about supermoto tyre pressures. Whenever I got new tyres or a service or anything done to my KTM I'd come out, the ride would be nervous and a little stiff, check the pressures and they've closer to 40 than 30. Once the tyres are down to 26 front and back everything feels good again.

This was three different shops including two KTM dealerships.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A lot of that is bike shops often don't both setting pressures. Put air in it till the bead sits, let 'some out', charge you and on your way.

Most SM tires are happiest in the low mid 20's pressure wise, at least on the track. Mid 20's more so for street use.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

JP Money posted:

Check your chain.

For a massive kink?

Am I experiencing a chains last dying words, and actually shouldn't ride it until I get a new chain/sprockets?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

If it's really tight it could bind up. If it's super super loose you can experience some weird stuff with the chain slapping around but you'd probably know if it was that bad. Are you saying it has a massive kink or asking?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
The chain is loose, but as I understand, it's supposed to be on a bike with such a flexible swingarm (most sumos, right?).

I haven't had a chance to check closely for kinks in the chain yet. I'll be doing that tomorrow morning.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I've had my 2007 690 SMC for several months now and it is awesome. However I've noticed an occasional strange stalling issue at lights. Sometimes it just dies when the light goes green and I apply throttle and slip out the clutch. I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong; as a noob rider with my old bike I stalled less than a handful of times in a year (usually going uphill). Since I've had the KTM its happened much more often. It's not a big deal as it starts right up again, but it is somewhat awkward when lanesplitting and cars are going angrily around you.

I seem to recall reading something about this being a fuel mapping issue with there being some sort of emissions-related map that kicks in when you're idling, and a different map that transitions when you're moving. I did some googling but all the results are related to people installing aftermarket exhausts. Am I on the right track? Is there a fix that doesn't involve advanced TuneECU stuff? I don't have the equipment/knowhow to mess with that...

The bike is totally stock as far as I know.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I heard something about the 690 originally coming with a map that was way too choked down for emissions and cut down on power a bit. Dealers should be able to remap it back to the original full-fat map.

At which RPM does your bike idle, btw? I had issues with my XT660 cutting out if I blipped the throttle too quickly from idle. Turns out it was idling at 1200 RPM and the manual says it should be between 1300 and 1500. I adjusted it to 1400 and since then, it hasn't cut out at all.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I've had my 2007 690 SMC for several months now and it is awesome. However I've noticed an occasional strange stalling issue at lights. Sometimes it just dies when the light goes green and I apply throttle and slip out the clutch. I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong; as a noob rider with my old bike I stalled less than a handful of times in a year (usually going uphill). Since I've had the KTM its happened much more often. It's not a big deal as it starts right up again, but it is somewhat awkward when lanesplitting and cars are going angrily around you.

I seem to recall reading something about this being a fuel mapping issue with there being some sort of emissions-related map that kicks in when you're idling, and a different map that transitions when you're moving. I did some googling but all the results are related to people installing aftermarket exhausts. Am I on the right track? Is there a fix that doesn't involve advanced TuneECU stuff? I don't have the equipment/knowhow to mess with that...

The bike is totally stock as far as I know.

The earliest 690 SMC's had stalling issues down to tuning and ECU.

First step, take the seat off and find the engine map and make sure your not on the bad fuel map.

Talk to your dealer about getting that tuned out/flashed.

Or you can go get a tuneboy and have tons of fun

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Carb supremacy :fella: :smug: :smugdog: :smaug: :dukedog:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Or you can go get a tuneboy and have tons of fun

You definitely should not do that, Tune ECU is free and has the same functionality, you just have to buy the cable and a USB/obdii adapter.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I meant to say TuneECU, whoops. Yeah do that.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tunnels are a great place to check your newly bought sumos vocal range. I suck at filming things while driving, also phone microphones suck, it sounded way more hilarious in person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsfP8sBySLA

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Took my DRZ into the shop to have the guys that installed my tires look it over, hoping to find the source of the roughness/bouncing I was experiencing.

Turns out the tires are fine but the wheel is slightly ovaled.

:negative:

(Also, forks are slightly bent.)

epswing fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 12, 2013

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Went for a ride with a sportbike buddy on some nice country roads. I was right behind him in the corners, but every long straight the VFR would loose me while I pinned the DRZ wide open and put my chin on the tank. Good times.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I've had my 2007 690 SMC for several months now and it is awesome.

I've got the cable if you want to try TuneEcu yourself. It's surprisingly easy. Otherwise your ktm dealer should be able to remap it for you, I know mine was pretty aware of the 690's bugs. I've played with my mapping about 4 times so far, just trying different things per the forums and probably have it set 95% good.

I used this link http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15358449&postcount=13 and this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctNjC_7HtjE .

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ola posted:

MetaJew posted:

I think I need to adjust the valves, and figure out where a small oil leak is coming from.

I believe this is the Austrian pledge of allegiance.

I pledge allegiance to the Orange and Black,
To the engineers, and the theory-
That three oil filters isn't unreasonable,
and even though my valve train is lubricated-
by oil flung up from the timing chain
I will try not to complain.
And when my bike leaks oil, and bolts rattle out
I will eventually find their source and apply more loctite.

How to replace the v-seal on your leaky LC4:

Step the first:
Kick bike onto it's weak side

Locate offending orifice:

Strip bare:

Confirm that old seal is filthy and worn out:

Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to apply copious quantities of loctite.

Also, a question:
When I did my valve adjustment a few weeks back, I found that the spark plug was surprisingly loose. Now, I did use anti-seize, but I also torqued it down when I replaced it. So, when I went to reinstall the plug, I checked my manual and started tightening... and tightening. And then got scared, and called it good enough. In other words, my torque wrench never clicked and I didn't want to strip anything. Is this normal? I hope the PO didn't do something stupid like strip some of the threads for the spark plug. I haven't had any issues like the spark plug wire being blown off, so I think that's okay-- but I also don't have a tool kit on the bike and I don't want to get stranded if the spark plug somehow manages to back itself out.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure antiseize lubricant reduces torque needed by quite a bit. You probably made a smart decision to stop turning early.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

JP Money posted:

I'm pretty sure antiseize lubricant reduces torque needed by quite a bit. You probably made a smart decision to stop turning early.

Torque values should be spec'd according to anti-seize required or not. If the plugs aren't spec'd for it, then yeah smart move as you can severely over torque something with the reduced thread friction from the lube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The kickstarter shaft is over the shifter? Never seen that before.

• Locked thread