Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Communions. Holy boosters exist but they're both unique artifacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are a few H4 national summons. Like, two of the Spenta, at least one of the Grigori, maybe a few others? Might also be an H4 hero out there, though I doubt it. H4 is not common.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Just a head's up in case anyone missed it, Dawn of a New Age LP started this morning and has 9 hours remaining on the timer

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Communions. Holy boosters exist but they're both unique artifacts.

This may not actually be true anymore. I'm pretty sure I saw at least one nonunique holy booster in the item list when I was doing a test run as Ulm.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

NinjaDebugger posted:

This may not actually be true anymore. I'm pretty sure I saw at least one nonunique holy booster in the item list when I was doing a test run as Ulm.

According to the manual the only holy boosters are artifacts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Khisanth Magus posted:

According to the manual the only holy boosters are artifacts.

If it's anything like Dom3, the manual is full of lies.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is entering the Arena fights ever worth it?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's a free magic item on your dude, if nobody else enters. Don't send in a god, but maybe a mid-level thug.

Also, communions are the only practical way to get to H5.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

There are a few H4 national summons. Like, two of the Spenta, at least one of the Grigori, maybe a few others? Might also be an H4 hero out there, though I doubt it. H4 is not common.
I have a pretty strong feeling that EA Ermor gets an H4 hero, but I might be wrong on that.

e: regarding the Deathmatch, if you think you have a commander going spare who might be able to take out a couple of opposing commanders, go for it.

Don't send your god, and probably don't send a prophet, though.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 12, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
MA Pythium has these special priests that autocast Communion Slave.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

MA Pythium has these special priests that autocast Communion Slave.
Communicants aren't actually priests, they're just sacred.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Lairek posted:

Say, how do you get to holy 5? I know that prophetising an H3 priest will give H4, but who has access to native H4 priests? Or are there Holy boosters?

I think Ctis had a 5 holy random event hero guy, though I am not sure if that was from a mod or not.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
LA Bogarus has a holy 4 hero. He also freespawns Khlysti.

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame
EA Ermor gets a H4 hero (Primate), MA Marignon has one (Cardinal, I think?), LA C'tis has one (First King) and so does Bogarus.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
MA Pythium also gets one as the Patriarch.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

NinjaDebugger posted:

Unless it's changed from Dom3, the Crystal Shield will boost holy.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
2Hand: Sword of Justice(Unique) F2S1 --> +1H
2Hand: Sword of Injustice(Unique) D3 --> +1H
1Hand: Immaculate Shield(Unique) F3S2 --> +1H

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kylaer posted:

Unless it's changed from Dom3, the Crystal Shield will boost holy.

I read on the desura forums that power of the spheres doesn't boost holy anymore, and in dom3 the crystal shield just cast power of the spheres at the start of combat, but I haven't actually tested it in dom4 myself

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Once and Future Queen should be H4, as well.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

You can always just stick a priest in a communion and boost that way. Just have to scrounge up an S priest or some Crystal Matrices.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

I read on the desura forums that power of the spheres doesn't boost holy anymore, and in dom3 the crystal shield just cast power of the spheres at the start of combat, but I haven't actually tested it in dom4 myself

The shield works the same in dom4, casting PotS at the start of battle(now listed in the actual item description).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can always just stick a priest in a communion and boost that way. Just have to scrounge up an S priest or some Crystal Matrices.
Or B for Sabbaths, natch.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Is anybody else having Dom4 take a really long time to download each turn? It's making me re-receive the map image every time.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Is anybody else having Dom4 take a really long time to download each turn? It's making me re-receive the map image every time.

Yeah, this seems to be a thing with some games. I hypothesize that it has to do with throne maps. Additionally, my server is reacting badly to 4.01 for some reason, but I think I know why and seem to have stemmed the bleeding somewhat.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
One of the Atlantis get a H4 hero. You know, to bless their... nevermind.

It's funny you should ask about H3 and H4 priests as Kailasa. If things haven't changed much, you are one of the few nations that can produce H4 priests on demand, albeit much much later in the game.

Summon Kinnara S3 Conj 6, 25 gems: Air 2 Astral 2 Holy 2
Summon Siddha S5 Conj 7, 35 gems: Air 2 Astral 3 Holy 3
Summon Devala S5 Conj 9, 55 gems: Astal 3, Holy 4
Summon Devata S5 Conj 8, 45 gems: Air 3 Astral 2 Holy 3

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LordSloth posted:

One of the Atlantis get a H4 hero. You know, to bless their... nevermind.

It's funny you should ask about H3 and H4 priests as Kailasa. If things haven't changed much, you are one of the few nations that can produce H4 priests on demand, albeit much much later in the game.

Summon Kinnara S3 Conj 6, 25 gems: Air 2 Astral 2 Holy 2
Summon Siddha S5 Conj 7, 35 gems: Air 2 Astral 3 Holy 3
Summon Devala S5 Conj 9, 55 gems: Astal 3, Holy 4
Summon Devata S5 Conj 8, 45 gems: Air 3 Astral 2 Holy 3

Only 55 gems and conj9. :suicide:

Kailasa really is terrible becAuse Jesus Christ just give a monkey h1s1or a priest with magic leadership that doesn't cost 360g.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Every time I try to delete a saved game created in the same instance of Dominions 4 I get an error message:

"Failed to delete saved game. Maybe the file is open in another program."

Closing and re-opening the program takes care of it, but it's still really irritating when I'm trying to test SC builds. :(

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Every time I try to delete a saved game created in the same instance of Dominions 4 I get an error message:

"Failed to delete saved game. Maybe the file is open in another program."

Closing and re-opening the program takes care of it, but it's still really irritating when I'm trying to test SC builds. :(

Are you running as administrator? It might be trying to write saved games to a directory in program files.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Are you running as administrator? It might be trying to write saved games to a directory in program files.

That was my first thought; I tried running both with and without, it made no difference.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That was my first thought; I tried running both with and without, it made no difference.

Mine does the same. Just restart the program.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Mine does the same. Just restart the program.

Having to restart the program every time is what I was complaining about. :what:

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
Even though I was never able to get into Dom 3, I just bought this game in attempt to try this again. As the whole concept scratches an itch that no other game has before.

Think I'm going to tool around in single player for a bit this time around, to see if I can get better at starting off. Are Giant nations since considered newbie friendly? And is blessing still a valid strategy in this version? The idea of controlling an army of super powered giants appeals to me greatly.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Thern posted:

Even though I was never able to get into Dom 3, I just bought this game in attempt to try this again. As the whole concept scratches an itch that no other game has before.

Think I'm going to tool around in single player for a bit this time around, to see if I can get better at starting off. Are Giant nations since considered newbie friendly? And is blessing still a valid strategy in this version? The idea of controlling an army of super powered giants appeals to me greatly.

Giants are still pretty newbie-friendly. However, my favorite suggestions for learning the game fastest are Tien Chi or LA Man or other more 'human' factions. You will have to learn to use regular troops at some point, and learning it early is probably for the best - normal human troops without the badassery of giants are basically what you get out of 90% + of independents so them, and their counters, are probably the most 'core' troop type of the game. That said, giants you still learn stuff by playing as. The easiest to play for newbies nations are of course MA and LA ermor, but you learn basically nothing about how to play any other faction by playing those because they play so differently from other factions and because the AI is nowhere near sophisticated enough to bust out the required counters that human players will throw at those nations so you basically automatically win.

Blessing is still viable as far as we can tell now. Blood bless is a lot more powerful with the new B9 bless effect of damage return (doesn't prevent damage, just reflects damage as it is taken). People are starting a lot of games but only time will see how powerful various strategies still are. Giants in particular are in a strange place with the buffs/nerfs. It used to be fairly common to take something like E9/N6 but now nature doesn't provide percent-based regen until level 9, and provides bonus hp to each unit before that (which is least valuable to giants who already have a ton of HP each). B9's effect would be good but it's basic ability of bonus to strength is not very useful for giants who already 1-hit everything they don't hit a limb on. Also, some giant nations (Niefelheim et al, Hinnom et al) got free design points from temp scales that have since gone away.

On the other hand, Giants with decent protection and morale have benefitted hugely from the formation modification options in dominions 4 vs dominions 3 - a squad of 15 high protection high morale but not sacred or cap-only giants led by an indie commander will totally crush most independent provinces without taking losses now because the line formation makes them so much more effective now than they were before and less likely to be focused down on corners of a formation etc.

A lot of the most effective battlefield counters to giants are high-magic options which take longer to research now than they did before.

Basically, who knows at this point? There are so many changes to everything it's hard to say. But they still crush AIs easily so there's that.

In general, the AI will lose to most strategies that involve any of:
1) A decent mixed arms army that includes multiple types of units and/or synergistic buffing spells
2) Thugs or supercombatants that are decently survivable
3) Any sort of decent battlefield evocation plan
4) Armies made of good summoned magical units

The ai is good at fielding huge armies of mooks, but not much else. Anything that has a plan to deal with huge armies of mooks can win easily.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The AI is also good at teaching you how to deal with a ton of small armies trying to raid all over the place, though they are stupid and wait for you to kill them once they get to a fort.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Bertyos seems pretty newbie-friendly and is a good introductory nation when it comes to bloodhunting and juggling StR mages.
Better than average troops (elephants and formation spearmen included)
Relatively good mages
Nice cash flow
Strong Blood and Elemental paths

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
For those who weren't present in IRC, I share the two flags I made for the Axis of Incompetence team in MadPantheon:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It was pointed out by a complainer with :effort: problems on IRC that I hadn't posted a link to the LP thread in here, so here it is:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574174

More content will be posted as soon as my players manage to get enough turns in for me to post something!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, is there a channel where everyone is meeting to talk in Violin, or is it just a clusterfuck in Dom4goons?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I've tried Google searching for it, but does anybody know about dom4 will be on steam? My group of friends I play this with don't want to buy it until it comes out on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's up to Valve or Greenlight, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to use a Desura key on Steam if/when it happens.

• Locked thread