Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Today I met a man named Firstname Jack Harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Istari posted:

I know a girl called Aidan. I also knew two boys called Aidan (Aiden ?) in primary school; they were both arseholes.

I went to school with a boy called Eamon. It always confused me how many people pronounced it Ee-mon, rather than Ay-mon, no matter how many times he corrected them, despite the fact that it isn't that uncommon.

Yesterday, I was stuck in a queue behind a woman with a newborn. Someone else in the queue asked about his name and was told it was 'Leo'. I caught a glimpse of his birth certificate. Leo is short for Leodegrance.
Are Arthurian babynames a popular thing now ? Should I be anticipating seeing a bunch of Excaliburs and Gawaines popping up in the next few years ?

I knew a Gawain in high school too.

For content, a professor from my college has a young daughter named "Emerin".

Male Tiers has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Oct 12, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Y'know, it was only from reading this thread that I realised the potential problem with someone I vaguely know who's name is Austin Martin. Perfectly reasonable first name, standard enough surname but somehow I did not twig on the obvious pun. I'd attribute that to not hearing his full name said out loud, but it's really just a fault on my part.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

In my area there is a startling number of Jailynn's of various spellings in the 3-5 age bracket. Within my social circle I know of 4, all with different dumb spellings, complete with arbitrary punctuation.
There were a ton of Michael's in my age group, including a Michael Hunt (you can verify this on fb- he is a welder in MD). In Middle School they were doing a "Happy Birthday to the following students whose birthday is this month" announcement and were reading off 30 or more kids names, including Mike Hunt. I was the only 8th grader not laughing, and was super embarassed because I thought everyone noticed and laughed harder at me.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I took a medication order for :siren: MAE DAY :siren: today.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
A couple of weeks ago I signed up to work a weekend event with one Harry Bush.

doctor clockwork
Oct 22, 2004

It's a dark day for mad science
We had two unfortunate souls in my high school: Richard Penis and Dick Skinner.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

1-800-DOG-LAW posted:

I knew a Gawain in high school too.

For content, a professor from my college has a young daughter named "Emerin".

Man I hope Arthurian names make a comeback, that'd be fukn rad. Hi, I'd like you to meet my sons, Yvain and Yonec.

Too bad you couldn't come up with a ton of Arthurian names for girls since half the time the ladies are left unnamed in the romances :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My name is Gareth, as in Sir. From what I'm told it's a pretty common name across the pond today.

gently caress Gawain, I want to see a kid named Gwalchmei!

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Used to live near a funeral home called "Moss-Feaster Funeral Home" after a guy with the last name Moss and a guy with the last name Feaster. Just searched it and it turns out it's a CHAIN of funeral homes. :psyduck:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

ulilileeloo dallas posted:

Man I hope Arthurian names make a comeback, that'd be fukn rad. Hi, I'd like you to meet my sons, Yvain and Yonec.

Too bad you couldn't come up with a ton of Arthurian names for girls since half the time the ladies are left unnamed in the romances :v:

There are a few, and some are still in common usage. Elaine, Celia, and Enid are all names of female characters in Arthurian stories. Off the top of my head I can recall Isolde/Iseult, Igraine, Brangaine, and Lyonesse. I think people would just think Lyonesse was a misspelling of Lioness though :(

I know there are several other named women, but it's been years since my Arthurian Retellings class.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
In my home town, there's a gravestone in an old churchyard with its own personal fence to prevent vandalism. The name on the stone is Sally Mae Die. It was her married name. I'll try to stop by and take a picture before I leave for school tomorrow.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ulilileeloo dallas posted:

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but every Morgan I've ever met has been a complete twat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GabrielAisling posted:

In my home town, there's a gravestone in an old churchyard with its own personal fence to prevent vandalism. The name on the stone is Sally Mae Die. It was her married name. I'll try to stop by and take a picture before I leave for school tomorrow.

There's a headstone in the cemetary where my granddad is buried that reads MANLIUS MANN and I really wish I'd taken a picture of it because god drat what a name.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RazorBunny posted:

There are a few, and some are still in common usage. Elaine, Celia, and Enid are all names of female characters in Arthurian stories. Off the top of my head I can recall Isolde/Iseult, Igraine, Brangaine, and Lyonesse. I think people would just think Lyonesse was a misspelling of Lioness though :(
Yeah but after the 90s, Elaine was pretty much right out unless you wanted your kid to be associated with Jerry Seinfeld.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
Never thought about it before, but I just realized there were a couple weird names in my elementary/middle school. There was a kid named Griffin, an Eamon that rhymed with lemon, a Tyler Butts, a Cydni (creative spelling of Sydney), and a misspelled Issac.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Used to live near a funeral home called "Moss-Feaster Funeral Home" after a guy with the last name Moss and a guy with the last name Feaster. Just searched it and it turns out it's a CHAIN of funeral homes. :psyduck:

If you don't believe this one you can Google it, by the way.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

bringmyfishback posted:

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but every Morgan I've ever met has been a complete twat.

I've only ever known male Morgans.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
The Moss-Feaster story reminded me of someone who doesn't have a terrible name, but an unfortunate one given his appearance. Jay Feaster, general manager of the NHL's Calgary Flames:

Feaster indeed.

All on Black has a new favorite as of 08:02 on Oct 13, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Istari posted:

I've only ever known male Morgans.

Oh, no, my previous comment was aimed at persons of both genders.

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
CEO/Chairman of the Board at Activision Blizzard is named Rene Penisson.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

bringmyfishback posted:

Oh, no, my previous comment was aimed at persons of both genders.

Well, both the male Morgans I've known were quite nice.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I actually had a lit professor who wanted to name his daughter Morgause, but his wife talked him into calling her Morgan instead.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

bringmyfishback posted:

Someone on twitter said it best, though I can't remember who: "People named Chad aren't terrible because they're named Chad. It's because they were raised by people who named them Chad." I think this goes for a lot of names now.

My mother's an elementary school principal, but since it's middle Tennessee the names don't go too far out of the ordinary--except for the little girl named Eowyn. And Mom is the only one who pronounces it correctly. :/

I'm fairly certain I've mentioned this in this thread before, but my sister graduated with a Kristafyr Ariel Storm Brown. The former Miss Kristafyr A. S. Brown is now married to a man surnamed Kyle, and they are expecting their first son fairly soon now. His name has been chosen:

Data Tyberius Eumar Kyle.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
While reading about Ned Kelly, I found that one of his first victims was named Ah Fook, which is pretty much the best name ever.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Wintermutant posted:

While reading about Ned Kelly, I found that one of his first victims was named Ah Fook, which is pretty much the best name ever.

Best name ever for being a murder victim. Best name for running a pedo sex tourist out of your country? General Suksomchit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.foodforthepoor.org/about/leadership/president.html

CEO of Food For The Poor, Robin Mahfood. :haw:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Just encountered a white couple who have named their very white son Teal'c.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Istari posted:

Just encountered a white couple who have named their very white son Teal'c.

Maybe they love wedding and decorating shows?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

canyoneer posted:

Maybe they love wedding and decorating shows?

I think that's a stargate reference. The character Teal'c was a black dude.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
So, Teal-see or Tilk? Te-alk?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Shithouse Dave posted:

I think that's a stargate reference. The character Teal'c was a black dude.

This.

jojoinnit posted:

So, Teal-see or Tilk? Te-alk?

Te-alk.

goodbyebluesky
Sep 14, 2007

I came in contact with a woman named Shittippia at work. She prefers to be called Tippy.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Te'fron is a new cook where I work. His name is appropriate for his profession, I guess.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oh, I think it's already been mentioned before in the thread but that could be related to nominative determinism. Basically, the idea there is that your name itself implicitly plays a part in what your future career (or at least aspiration thereof) will be or something. No idea how valid it is, but it's an interesting thing to think either way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh, I think it's already been mentioned before in the thread but that could be related to nominative determinism. Basically, the idea there is that your name itself implicitly plays a part in what your future career (or at least aspiration thereof) will be or something. No idea how valid it is, but it's an interesting thing to think either way.
I think it depends on your culture. Some groups place a lot of weight on this theory, but others choose to reject the idea. In my experience, having grown up in a bit of both, it really only applies to people who believe in it and it's outside sources that guide you to it as you're growing up rather than any mystical poo poo about your name.

There's very little determinism in modern American culture aside from "man every John I ever met was a fuckin' rear end in a top hat," but that's pretty anecdotal. In Hawaii, it's a huge thing with some subgroups and when you're raised to beileve that, because you were named after your great-aunt, you're bound to end up like her--teaching at a hula halau and participating in competitive paddling--it's not so much that you ended up this way because your name determined it, but because your rear end in a top hat parents did everything in their power to point you in that direction all your life.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I simply cannot believe this is his birth name. It's just too spot-on.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
A biology teacher I know just announced his new son's name: Golgi. At least it isn't reticulum.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Sinestro posted:

A biology teacher I know just announced his new son's name: Golgi. At least it isn't reticulum.

I understand that it's an organelle, but my first thought was of foreign exchange stereotype Bolbi from Jimmy Neutron.

Wow. That's a record other folks just can't broke.