Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Don't talk poo poo about Hard Boiled, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

mustard_tiger posted:

I'm not sure how to describe it but I hate that weird choppy slow motion effect in movies. It like they drop frames so the scene skips from frame to frame like lag in a video game but the overall "time" is also slowed down. It's usually used in high intensity action scenes, but I'm having a hard time finding an example. Does this bug anyone else?

e: I found this on a top ten slow motion scene list, at 0:22 and 0:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wYCh5nxyCI&t=39s

Why do they do this? It immediatly brings me out of the movie.

Well regardless of the source, that sort of slow-mo seems, to me, to be a style you would call in the business, "cheap".

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Don't talk poo poo about Hard Boiled, please.

I honestly haven't seen the movie, I was just talking about the effect, and it was the first example I found.

Choco1980 posted:

Well regardless of the source, that sort of slow-mo seems, to me, to be a style you would call in the business, "cheap".

Its used in brand new films too. I actually got the idea to post it because it was used in a commercial today.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
e: double post

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

mustard_tiger posted:

I'm not sure how to describe it but I hate that weird choppy slow motion effect in movies. It like they drop frames so the scene skips from frame to frame like lag in a video game but the overall "time" is also slowed down. It's usually used in high intensity action scenes, but I'm having a hard time finding an example. Does this bug anyone else?

You're not alone! I've always assumed that it appears whenever someone during post-production says "You know what? Let's make this scene slow-mo," and it gets choppy because the scene wasn't originally shot with a high-speed camera. Or, alternatively, they just straight up couldn't afford a high-speed camera for their production. Hence why it's extra frustrating to see in an otherwise high-budget film, because it just looks so much like something that would only be done for budgetary reasons.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In Hard Boiled I believe they used that choppy slow-mo to hide some transitions in the long-take action scenes.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

mustard_tiger posted:

e: I found this on a top ten slow motion scene list, at 0:22 and 0:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wYCh5nxyCI&t=39s

Why do they do this? It immediatly brings me out of the movie.

Usually it's because they forgot to film for slow-mo and decided to do it after. Since there aren't frames to cover the time, it gets stupid looking.

And then sometimes people think it looks good. This is almost always false.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Do you mean like they did in 300? Because that was done to mimic the way action is presented by panels in the comic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
the kind of slow-mo I hate is when they immediately alternate between fast motion and slow motion without any regular speed stuff inbetween.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

CJacobs posted:

the kind of slow-mo I hate is when they immediately alternate between fast motion and slow motion without any regular speed stuff inbetween.

ohhhhh man would you hate the movie Le Mans then.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

CJacobs posted:

Ah yes, the Zack Snyder Effect. It's a cool idea, since it increases the tension for a second, then releases it quickly. But it gets old around the second time you see it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hyperhazard posted:

Ah yes, the Zack Snyder Effect. It's a cool idea, since it increases the tension for a second, then releases it quickly. But it gets old around the second time you see it.

It was great in 300 and after that it just became a lazy shorthand for flashy action scenes. Though Snyder did it again extremely well in the opening fight scene of Watchmen

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

It was great in 300 and after that it just became a lazy shorthand for flashy action scenes. Though Snyder did it again extremely well in the opening fight scene of Watchmen

It kicked rear end in Immortals because they use it for one scene where the Gods and the Titans are fighting and both parties are so ridiculously powerful that when somebody gets killed they fall in slow-motion because everybody else is most so much faster than human beings can even comprehend. :krad:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It kicked rear end in Immortals because they use it for one scene where the Gods and the Titans are fighting and both parties are so ridiculously powerful that when somebody gets killed they fall in slow-motion because everybody else is most so much faster than human beings can even comprehend. :krad:

Also that scene where Ares just loving crushes like fifteen dudes' skulls in a split second.

Immortals ruled.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Byzantine posted:

Also that scene where Ares just loving crushes like fifteen dudes' skulls in a split second.

Immortals ruled.

The best looking terrible movie I've seen outside of Bunraku.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Patattack posted:

You're not alone! I've always assumed that it appears whenever someone during post-production says "You know what? Let's make this scene slow-mo," and it gets choppy because the scene wasn't originally shot with a high-speed camera. Or, alternatively, they just straight up couldn't afford a high-speed camera for their production. Hence why it's extra frustrating to see in an otherwise high-budget film, because it just looks so much like something that would only be done for budgetary reasons.
I imagine they do it in high budget movies precisely to imitate the look of cheap movies.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Here's something that annoys me about a movie I absolutely love, The Cabin In The Woods:

So the whole gimmick of the movie is that these Ancient Beings demand a specific type of horror movie, with absolutely no deviation from that horror movie.

What I get tripped up about is how outdated / restrictive the horror movie the Ancient Beings want. Nowadays, we (in general) like horror movies that deviate, rather than adhere to, genre cliches. If they are so stubborn about changes to their desires, wouldn't they want to see horror experiences dating back even farther than ~35 years?

Maybe it's older than my movie-watching experience, but I don't think audiences felt ripped off if a virgin died in a slasher film.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

On the other hand, there are horror movies going on in other countries that look like they would not follow that structure at all, such as the Japanese ghost movie. Apparently one of those working out the way it was supposed to would have let that facility featured off the hook, but literally everyone else hosed up their horror movie and didn't make the gods happy.

Oh, and also, it's a movie that plays with existing cliches. It's generally pretty hard to pay tribute to movie conventions that are new and experimental. I mean, I guess you could do parodies and/or deconstructions of parodies and/or deconstructions, but then you just end up with this nesting doll of masturbatory cinema.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If I remember right, Cabin in the Woods sat on a self for a couple years before getting released. It's slightly outdated. Plus, the film was celebrating those old slasher tropes as much as it was blasting them, so the nostalgia ages it even more. Still a good time, but if you take the message at the end too seriously, the cracks really start to show.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm kindof annoyed at how often Cabin in the Woods gets brought up in ths thread. Sorry I know, but it's true.

For real though, I watched Europa Report, and I really liked it for what it was. But I don't get why they switched up the narrative, like it was some kind of Pulp Fiction. There wasn't any need for the non-linearity. Didn't improve the narrative, just made you a little confused the first time they did it, then after that it was like, "oh, now we're after/before event"

E: Also Sharlto Copley can't speak American but who cares

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
My beef with Cabin in the Woods is that the trailers advertised it as a serious scary horror movie whose secret would BLOW YOUR MIND. So I went into it thinking I was going to get the pants scared off me and was disappointed when I realized it was satire and the "secret" was revealed within the first minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJUIgf7lsCY

If you watch the trailer they play every scene straight. For example, in the movie the creepy redneck's lines are laughed at for being overdramatic, but in the trailer it's portrayed as menacing.

I also didn't like all the reviews lauding Joss Whedon for his innovative "horror" movie, when he didn't really do anything new. He poked fun at all the old horror movie tropes, yes, but he didn't create a new genre of horror, which is what I was expecting. I felt a bit like the movie was saying "This is why horror is such a lovely genre these days", but didn't actually contribute anything to try and change that. Instead it just repeated the same clichés, but with the director going "See? See? We're in on the joke, haha!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cabin in the Woods was okay but it really just made me want to watch Evil Dead again instead.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Tin Miss posted:

My beef with Cabin in the Woods is that the trailers advertised it as a serious scary horror movie whose secret would BLOW YOUR MIND. So I went into it thinking I was going to get the pants scared off me and was disappointed when I realized it was satire and the "secret" was revealed within the first minute.

If you watch the trailer they play every scene straight. For example, in the movie the creepy redneck's lines are laughed at for being overdramatic, but in the trailer it's portrayed as menacing.

I also didn't like all the reviews lauding Joss Whedon for his innovative "horror" movie, when he didn't really do anything new. He poked fun at all the old horror movie tropes, yes, but he didn't create a new genre of horror, which is what I was expecting. I felt a bit like the movie was saying "This is why horror is such a lovely genre these days", but didn't actually contribute anything to try and change that. Instead it just repeated the same clichés, but with the director going "See? See? We're in on the joke, haha!"

Yeah. A good portion of this thread's issues stem from trailers. And it's largely because trailer houses are given the most exciting/scary/funny bits of footage and have the direction of "Get people in the theatre." So mediocre comedies burn all three of their jokes in the trailer, In Bruges looks like a bog-standard buddy cop(criminal?) flick and Cabin in the Woods looks like the writer and director want you to take it seriously.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of previews, anyone else seen the trailer for Frozen? Why the gently caress does the snowman look like something from a made-for-TV CGI nightmare Xmas show than something done by loving Disney CGI? Everyone and thing else in the previews reminds me of the style used for Tangled, except that loving snowman.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Tin Miss posted:

I was lucky enough to see Cabin in the Woods without ever seeing a trailer or anything, so I can't say for sure what I would have thought about that trailer if I had seen it cold, but it sure as poo poo doesn't make it look like a serious scary movie to me. I think that trailer does a pretty good job of giving you a fairly good idea of how much actual traditional "scary" you're in for without really giving anything away.

Mr. Beefhead has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Oct 13, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I really liked Cabin in the Woods, and for that exact reason it irritates me: the film is targeted to appeal exactly to my demographic. I'm that guy who's spent decades watching horror movies left and right, not for laughs or some unhealthy bloodlust, but with a genuine, scholarly fascination for the genre. I've read countless serious books on the subject. I have a mind filled with scores of trivia and critical analysis. And along comes this essay on the state of horror today wrapped in the metatextual language of a clever and funny horror pastiche by hip and popular filmmakers? It's so on-the-nose, I'd be insulted if I weren't too busy grinning ear to ear watching.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Speaking of previews, anyone else seen the trailer for Frozen? Why the gently caress does the snowman look like something from a made-for-TV CGI nightmare Xmas show than something done by loving Disney CGI? Everyone and thing else in the previews reminds me of the style used for Tangled, except that loving snowman.

You can thank these guys:

Now everybody's cramming a largely unnecessary "cute" sidekick into their movie again because Despicable Me topped the box office both times and made a zillion dollars in merchandising. Only the Minions were actually cute to begin with and just got run into the ground while the snowman has been punchable since the day he was unveiled.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Disney fired their 2d department and a lot of the older legends like Glenn Keane left. Now they're going back to trying to rely on the "cute" retarded sidekick to get people into theatre seats since they can't make anything of worth anymore. The people on the animation team have outright said that making unique female characters interact is "too difficult" so they cut all the women out of the Snow Queen story except for 2.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The people on the animation team have outright said that making unique female characters interact is "too difficult" so they cut all the women out of the Snow Queen story except for 2.

That's really not what they said.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Tunicate posted:

That's really not what they said.

Here's the full quote then:

quote:

“Historically speaking, animating female characters are really, really difficult, because they have to go through these range of emotions, but you have to keep them pretty and they’re very sensitive to — you can get them off a model very quickly. So, having a film with two hero female characters was really tough, and having them both in the scene and look very different if they’re echoing the same expression; that Elsa looking angry looks different from Anna being angry.”

Women are hard to animate because we have to keep them pretty! :downs:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

they can't make anything of worth anymore.

Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph were some of the best things to come out of Disney in the past 20 years and were better than anything Pixar has made since Up.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Disney fired their 2d department and a lot of the older legends like Glenn Keane left. Now they're going back to trying to rely on the "cute" retarded sidekick to get people into theatre seats since they can't make anything of worth anymore. The people on the animation team have outright said that making unique female characters interact is "too difficult" so they cut all the women out of the Snow Queen story except for 2.
Disney did not fire their 2d department, they are just under-utilizing it and do not currently have a queued feature film for their traditional animators. They've been stuck with television and short films.

Hopefully they'll see a gap to fill soon, as computer animated films have become utterly ubiquitous and it's gotten fuckin annoying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just saw Now You See Me, you know, that magic movie with Morgan Freeman. I don't think I can name a single moment of that film that didn't irritate me. I'm not sure who the movie intended for me to root for but I sure as hell wasn't rooting for those 4 little shits.

Jesus that movie was such a pain to watch, way to provide zero sympathetic characters. Every single person was such a huge piece of poo poo and the motivation for the guiding force behind it all was laughably bad, yet I think I was supposed to applaud it and appreciate that the person behind everything got their "revenge".

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus that movie was such a pain to watch, way to provide zero sympathetic characters. Every single person was such a huge piece of poo poo and the motivation for the guiding force behind it all was laughably bad, yet I think I was supposed to applaud it and appreciate that the person behind everything got their "revenge".

That describes Wanted to me. What a terrible movie.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

This a thousand times. Just seeing the still of it makes me irrationally angry. I didn't really think the cute sidekick animal in Tangled was at all necessary, and the movie would have been better without it, but this thing makes me angry just by looking at it. What an eyesore. I honestly don't even know if my anger is irrational. Ok, it is, but gently caress

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RyokoTK posted:

That describes Wanted to me. What a terrible movie.

In Wanted it was intentional. Plus, if you don't like Konstantin Khabensky there's something wrong with you.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Whatev posted:

Disney did not fire their 2d department, they are just under-utilizing it and do not currently have a queued feature film for their traditional animators. They've been stuck with television and short films.

Hopefully they'll see a gap to fill soon, as computer animated films have become utterly ubiquitous and it's gotten fuckin annoying.

Unfortunately they fired almost all their big name animators so I'm not sure how that's working out for them, and I think only Goldberg and Henn are the only big names left now. Even the Mickey Mouse shorts are outsourced to another studio. Sure they didn't "kill" and close the studio completely but I think they're only open to do pitches for new 3d projects. We aren't going to get anymore 2d out of them.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph were some of the best things to come out of Disney in the past 20 years and were better than anything Pixar has made since Up.

Tangled had Glenn Keane at the helm (who's one of the main animators responsible for their successes the last 20-30 years or so) and Wreck-it-Ralph wasn't even directed by a Disney director. They got the guy who did the Simpsons, Futurama and the Critic to do it. Disney hasn't been that great for a long time, and Pixar's been suffering ever since they were bought out.
It's why we have a billion cars/planes/boats/machineswitheyes sequels.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Tangled had Glenn Keane at the helm (who's one of the main animators responsible for their successes the last 20-30 years or so) and Wreck-it-Ralph wasn't even directed by a Disney director. They got the guy who did the Simpsons, Futurama and the Critic to do it. Disney hasn't been that great for a long time, and Pixar's been suffering ever since they were bought out.
It's why we have a billion cars/planes/boats/machineswitheyes sequels.

When Disney hires you, you become a Disney director. Stop being dense.

And Pixar was bought out in 2006 and put out Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up, and Toy Story 3 as the next 4 films after that, so you'll just have to deal with being blatantly wrong there too.

Their live action blockbusters have been garbage but they've been able to grind out a few good animated films and metric gently caress tons of money (it's almost like kids like formulaic kids films!).

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Maybe I'm wrong but that stab wound that the kid in Pay It Forward gets at the end of the movie didn't really look bad enough to kill him. Especially since an ambulance was called almost instantly. I also thought that the stabbing was super oscar bait-y and messed up the movie's message a little.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Celery Face posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but that stab wound that the kid in Pay It Forward gets at the end of the movie didn't really look bad enough to kill him. Especially since an ambulance was called almost instantly. I also thought that the stabbing was super oscar bait-y and messed up the movie's message a little.

I think you've got your spoiler tags backwards.

• Locked thread