Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Jake Soo posted:

That's Heroes del Silencio's (Spanish rock band) song Entre dos tierras. Used by Kaientai DX while in Japan and also on the ECW Barely Legal PPV.

Huh. So it was used by Kaientai!

Thanks very much for that! :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I think the real turning point in Joe not having stellar matches consistently was after he did that insane spot where he jumped off a high place and landed back first on STAIRS.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I don't know why Joe wouldn't think he was wanted. Between Cena who he trained/feuded with, Punk, Bryan and any number of people would would vouch for him, and especially considering Umaga, they would have loved him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The common story is that Matthew Randazzo had a pal on the WWE writing team (Court Bauer, I think) who witnessed him getting absolutely buried by Vince and Stephanie because Joe was a huge internet darling. Grain of salt and all that, but if Joe believed it, it would have stopped him for sure from going to WWE. This was also a few years ago before Punk and Bryan meant anything to WWE.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 13, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The common story is that Matthew Randazzo had a pal on the WWE writing team (Court Bauer, I think) who witnessed him getting absolutely buried by Vince and Stephanie because Joe was a huge internet darling. Grain of salt and all that, but if Joe believed it, it would have stopped him for sure from going to WWE. This was also a few years ago before Punk and Bryan meant anything to WWE.

Yeah, Punk's only been at the level to have that sort of pull in the last couple of years, and Bryan isn't really there even now.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

As much as Vince loves "good TV", no loving way would he keep the camera on something that was unplanned or unknown to him.

Raven was on TV for weeks before Vince even realized the guy was employed by his company.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bubba Grace posted:

Raven was on TV for weeks before Vince even realized the guy was employed by his company.

Reminds me of when Jimmy Yang was visiting at a TV taping and Vince said something like "why aren't you in your gear?" and Jimmy said "you fired me a year ago".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

EugeneJ posted:

Reminds me of when Jimmy Yang was visiting at a TV taping and Vince said something like "why aren't you in your gear?" and Jimmy said "you fired me a year ago".

I can see Vince replying,"You call that an excuse?"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jerusalem posted:

I can see Vince replying,"You call that an excuse?"

"Well I'm hiring you again"
"What?"

Vince McMahon would give someone a contract simply to prove he wasn't wrong.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Always bring your gear.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Onmi posted:

"Well I'm hiring you again"
"What?"

Vince McMahon would give someone a contract simply to prove he wasn't wrong.

This literally happened.

Shawn Michaels was terrified of doing the Spirit Squad's five man catapult straight up and then down through a table, so they had Jimmy Yang, who is about Shawn's size, do the spot while Shawn watched.

That's how he got his job back.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

budreck posted:

Then he should quit. You're doing a disservice to paying fans when you don't act like you care about your job.
For every one time he looked like he didn't give a poo poo, there were likely twenty where he didn't, and looked like he did. Not everybody's fantastic at pretending their character isn't being neutered 100% of the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HulkaMatt posted:

I think the real turning point in Joe not having stellar matches consistently was after he did that insane spot where he jumped off a high place and landed back first on STAIRS.

He was also wrestling old men for most of the next six months, when he got back to facing good workers in the fall of 2009 he had stellar match after stellar match.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

HulkaMatt posted:

That's the first thing this discussion had me thinking of. I wasn't watching TNA at the time but the reactions to that match here made me seek it out, and his look after that spot was amazing. Like he was stunned at the realization that he didn't just cripple himself, mixed with the realization how not worth it that stunt was.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I still get this feeling that WWE wants to bring in Joe, specifically because I'm watching the Foley DVD and I'm watching Best in the World and they bring him up and like, sure in the latter, you can say "sure it's Punk" but Foley never needed to bring up Samoa Joe, but he does.

So I think at least he still wants him to go to WWE. And I think if he were to go now they would take him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Onmi posted:

I still get this feeling that WWE wants to bring in Joe, specifically because I'm watching the Foley DVD and I'm watching Best in the World and they bring him up and like, sure in the latter, you can say "sure it's Punk" but Foley never needed to bring up Samoa Joe, but he does.

So I think at least he still wants him to go to WWE. And I think if he were to go now they would take him.

Mick Foley and CM Punk do not represent Vince McMahon.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I thought Joe mostly stayed with TNA because it was a steady paycheck and he got to be in Florida all the time with his family.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Vince McMahon will hire Samoa Joe, and then send him to Pyongyang, North Korea with a backpack filled with bibles and US flags.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Mick Foley and CM Punk do not represent Vince McMahon.

Mick Foley and CM Punk didn't produce their own DVDs, the boss controls all.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Onmi posted:

Mick Foley and CM Punk didn't produce their own DVDs, the boss controls all.

EugeneJ posted:

Sometimes really badly.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 13, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Sometimes really badly.

you know, I was just about to amend my post with that.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why did WCW bother with the Power Plant that produced almost nobody when they had an open checkbook to sign any wrestler on the planet that they wanted?

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

Bigass Moth posted:

Why did WCW bother with the Power Plant that produced almost nobody when they had an open checkbook to sign any wrestler on the planet that they wanted?

Chael Sonnen was in the Power Plant. Oh what could have been...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Because as 2002 - 2010 showed there is a real hard time to make stars when nobody is properly training them. It was a smart idea to replace the territory system but up until HHH took an interest in FCW and now NXT every attempt has ether been underfunded, undermined or just ran terribly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Because as 2002 - 2010 showed there is a real hard time to make stars when nobody is properly training them. It was a smart idea to replace the territory system but up until HHH took an interest in FCW and now NXT every attempt has ether been underfunded, undermined or just ran terribly.

OVW? But mostly because it ran itself as a promotion with its own events and actually trained wrestlers?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Onmi posted:

OVW? But mostly because it ran itself as a promotion with its own events and actually trained wrestlers?

WWE constantly undermined OVW and treated it as a place to stick those who annoyed Stephanie too much like Heyman and Cornette.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For example, Cornette talked about WWE sending OVW 3 full-sized rings without warning or anywhere to store them, just because WWE didn't have room for them.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Bigass Moth posted:

A few reasons:

*It was a cash cow. The majority of trainees at the powerplant were not under WCW contracts and were likely to never be so, each paying $3,000 for 6 months of training. If you've seen the Louis Theroux documentry you might have noticed how much of the training reigme was based around cardio to an extent that even other schools were not. One of the more cynical reasons for this was that the training was designed to get those who didn't "have the heart" to quit, at which point they wouldn't get their fee returned. At one point the average length of a trainee's time at the power plant was approximately 2 months, and with the constant turn over in classes the power plant was a minor money spinner.

*Less cynically when the plant was set up in 1995 there were concerns about the depth of talent avaliable upon the indies, in no small part down to the death of the territories. No one really anticipated the wrestling boom that would bring about a renewed talent pool in the early 2000's or the boom in the independent scene that would follow the deaths of ECW and WCW. At the time the independents were pretty poo poo - much of the talent having poor training, and with few talented vetran talents to help guide them, the majority of names still being out there being washed up talent that none of the big companies wanted (with the obvious exceptions like Terry Funk). So setting up a school to provide talent for the future seemed a sensible tactic.

*Having a school was something that big promotions did. WWF used Memphis, then in 97 had OVW, NJPW had it's dojo, even ECW had the House of Hardcore. Having a school was a prestige thing.

Also It's important to remember that Jody Hamilton had been training talent for WCW almost from the moment that the company was formed. For years, WCW pointed at the talent that his training produced during the early 90's and claiming those talents as being the product of the power plant, despite Hamilton's original school that produced talents the quality of Kevin Nash and El Gigante had no real connection to the Powerplant other than Hamilton being in charge of both.

Hamilton wasn't very good at training professional wrestlers. Arguably the biggest success under his watch - Bill Goldberg was given so much attention by specific trainers as to have not actually been developed under the philosophy of the power plant. Of course his fine success rate with the power plant made Hamilton a perfect pick to run Deep South Wrestling when Johnny Ace "expanded" the WWE's training development.

DSW was very bad. Very very bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

WWE constantly undermined OVW and treated it as a place to stick those who annoyed Stephanie too much like Heyman and Cornette.

I was mostly at the "run terribly" since Cornette ran it well, and it DID produce big stars.

But yeah I'm aware of all those problems, the under funded, undermined stuff is definitely true. Lord the horror stories of OVW are amazing, and you know Cornette hasn't even scratched the surface of it.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Like most people I've really enjoyed the OSW Reviews of the late 80s/early 90s. I would like to watch those PPVs in their entirety. Is there a legal way to do so, preferably on Blu-Ray?

Also as long as I'm asking, I really want to find a way to see Tuesday Night Titans (and/or any other "mostly talking" WWF shows), and any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Like most people I've really enjoyed the OSW Reviews of the late 80s/early 90s. I would like to watch those PPVs in their entirety. Is there a legal way to do so, preferably on Blu-Ray?

You would have to track down a bunch of Out-Of-Print DVD's. None of the old shows are on Blu Ray.

Check Google Video for whatever you're looking for:

http://www.google.com/videohp

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Lots of questions

What 5* matches has RVD had?

Did WCW have any 5* matches in it's last 2 years?

What was the last holy poo poo chant we had on WWE tv?

When did CM Punk last use the pepsi plunge?

Is ROH still seen as the number 3 promotion? If not/so why?

When did wrestlers start using simple finishers like the KO punch and the Cobra (which are hitable at any time or place?)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Off the top of my head, I think the Hart/Benoit tribute match was probably the best WCW match in the last two years.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Manwithastick posted:

Lots of questions

None.

This was his highest Meltzer-rated singles match (****1/4):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6cd78_hardcore-heaven-1999-rob-van-dam-vs_sport

The highest-rated matches he participated in otherwise were the 2001 Alliance vs. Team WWE Survivor Series Match and the 2013 RAW Money in the Bank Ladder Match (both ****1/2).

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Manwithastick posted:

Lots of questions

When did CM Punk last use the pepsi plunge?

When did wrestlers start using simple finishers like the KO punch and the Cobra (which are hitable at any time or place?)

RVD has been in zero five star matches per Dave Meltzer. Highest rated matches I could find him in were ****1/2, though most of those were multi-man gimmick matches (MitB or EC).

WCW's last ***** match was in 1992.

If you're speaking in terms of the U.S. & Canada, RoH is seen as third behind WWE and TNA. Globally, though, NJPW is #2, and there might be an argument that either AAA or CMLL should be above RoH, let alone TNA (I sadly don't know anything about lucha to sufficiently make that argument).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Manwithastick posted:

Lots of questions

Dave Melter didn't rate any WCW matches 5 stars after 1992. Hell, there were no 5 star singles matches after 1989.

quote:

In the US/Canada, sure, although that's really not saying much. Probably any significant Japanese or Mexican fed would be bigger than them despite the fact most of them aside from NJPW are currently struggling.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Here is a link to some of his bigger WCW Ratings.

Highest it went in the last 2 years was ****¼

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 13, 2013

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

HulkaMatt posted:

Here is a link to some of his bigger WCW Ratings.

Highest it went in the last 2 years was ****¼

I love how only two matches made it to or above **** in 2000. :wcw:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Manwithastick posted:

Very recently. It was the Raw in Toronto when Cesaro did that massive Giant Swing on Santino. The crowd was doing that thing where they didn't care so they tried to amuse themselves with a random chant, and Cesaro brought them back into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWXtHvU6B_E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I would be absolutely stunned if Vince or Stephanie even know who Samoa Joe is.