Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I had always sorta envisioned a kind of rotating grid system centered around your mouse. Its a bit hard to describe, but the box of grid squares is focused on your pointer and can be rotated around that point. It would take a fair bit of doing to make it all mesh, but it would provide a compromise between grid and freeform building that allows more predictable layouts for the engine to choose buildings for. I recall that the 2013 devs bitched about how hard freeform is and that's why they tied everything to roads. But they suck, so....:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
I'm overseas for another 2 weeks, but I have the grand fromage zip on my computer at home. I'll see what I can do but I might not be able to upload the whole thing in the 2 days I have before heading out for work.

Just sleep easy knowing it still exists.

homebrand
Oct 1, 2011

*PUNCH* posted:

Double-fortunate, because it seems Alluvion is no longer being maintained. :negative: I can put up 3.0 and 2.0 and public trackers, but I don't have any of the other packs. To those reading the thread - if you've got a copy of GrandFromage's, Killhour's, or even the old Gigapack, please put a torrent up or host it somewhere!

I guess I picked a bad time to get into this game. Can you let me know when you rehost that old fashioned pack?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

LabDrunk40 posted:

Any ideas? For the meantime, I’ll probably go back to 2.0 (which never once gave me problems).

Hey, I had the same problem you described long ago, but have not experienced old fashioned 3.0 related crashes. Therefor, It's probably due to the fact Old fashioned 3 is larger than 2 and your virtual memory limit is exceeded. It usually produces random crashes, especially on save. There's various fixes for this, but I'm on my phone and can't find them right now. Try searching for the '4gb patch' on google, and I think there's a sim city 4 specific solution on one of the community solutions.

The only issue I experienced with old fashioned 3 is the diagonal bridge enabler folder did not work out of the box in my experience, requiring a reinstall. and for some reason I'm getting some brown boxes and graphical glitches when using certain starter pieces on diagonal bridges.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 26, 2013

LabDrunk40
Jun 17, 2005

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun..."

Poizen Jam posted:

Hey, I had the same problem you described long ago, but have not experienced old fashioned 3.0 related crashes. Therefor, It's probably due to the fact Old fashioned 3 is larger than 2 and your virtual memory limit is exceeded. It usually produces random crashes, especially on save. There's various fixes for this, but I'm on my phone and can't find them right now. Try searching for the '4gb patch' on google, and I think there's a sim city 4 specific solution on one of the community solutions.

This was it. Downloaded the 4gb patch and everything seems to be copacetic now with the Old Fashioned 3.0 pack. Thanks!

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Tindahbawx posted:

Its weird, I've checked all that, its all matching up. Bizarrely downloading the other 2 torrents listed in the OP works fine and lets me grab seeders from Alluvion, its just the GrandFromage pack that doesn't work. :ohdear:

Edit: you really weren't joking when you said dependency hell in the OP...I'm currently sitting here trying to add CAMeLots to the game and every simgle bloody lot needs about 6 or 7 dependencies, BSC This, BSC That, BSC The Other. Its unreal.

Have these guys just never heard of the idea of releasing modpacks with all the dependencies in one zip? Would it not be easier to just bundle ALL the BSC dependencies as one single file, as opposed to having 12 different drat things and having to check if you've got them all with each different lot you download.

It seems like an absolutely crazy way of doing things to me!

Edit 2: The dependency I just downloaded relied on another dependency, which obviously had to be downloaded separately... :negative:

You'll get used to it. For me this game has becoming downloading and installing mods and dependencies, testing them out, then realizing they're not perfect, deleting them all and starting over again. There's kind of a zen to it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Shibawanko posted:

SC4devotion is a weirdass website in general. I think they once considered suing somebody for making a second account.

This did happen. If I can remember the details: Someone made a second account to get around what I believe was a temp ban due to some previous drama, and an admin went completely bugfuck insane over it. I don't recall even the gist of his insane moon logic but he was convinced a crime had been committed and said he would be speaking with his lawyer about bringing charges against the second account maker.

If you don't spent days at a time modding SC4 then deleting the folder and starting over, you're not playing SC4 correctly.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

If you don't spent days at a time modding SC4 then deleting the folder and starting over, you're not playing SC4 correctly.

Right? Every time I dust off SC4, I spend about a day or two's worth of gaming time just poring over dependencies, installing each one with its own InstallShield Manager, moving it to the folder I'd rather it be in, debugging, datpacking, etc

I'd really like to see some modernized versions of old lots with the dependencies built in- or some megapackages that contain hundreds of MB worth of content now that we (in America) have joined the rest of the world in the era where less than 1MB/s down is slow.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

LabDrunk40 posted:

This was it. Downloaded the 4gb patch and everything seems to be copacetic now with the Old Fashioned 3.0 pack. Thanks!

Awesome! I'll make a note in the OP when we can find somewhere to host the megapacks.

Speaking of which, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to put these things now that Alluvion is down. I'm willing to make OldFashioned public, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where. I really can't link to major :files: websites on here. Anyone know their way around torrents enough to provide an alternative space?

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

*PUNCH* posted:

Speaking of which, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to put these things now that Alluvion is down. I'm willing to make OldFashioned public, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where. I really can't link to major :files: websites on here. Anyone know their way around torrents enough to provide an alternative space?

I'll upload the OldFashioned3.0 to my server. In theory I have unlimited traffic. I'll post as soon as the upload is done (meaning: tommorow). Perhaps I can squeeze in the OF2.0 and GrandFromage's pack

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

*PUNCH* posted:

Awesome! I'll make a note in the OP when we can find somewhere to host the megapacks.

Why not just use Mega?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I bought this game recently and just installed it. Should I wait for the Old Fashioned pack to be reuploaded or can I safely mod the crap out if it and then slap Old Fashioned on it later?

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010
Uploading done.

- GrandFromage & GodlessCommie Pack: GrandFromage-Plugins.zip
- *PUNCH* OldFashioned Pack 3.0: Oldfashioned3.0.rar
- *PUNCH* OldFashioned Pack 2.0: oldfashioned2.0.rar

MD5 sums:

code:
a370cf17e5c0573a3d3eff616a592fa2  GrandFromage-Plugins.zip
3b298ff4ec1dcf93a69cf902295e0af7  Oldfashioned3.0.rar
0bbcf48f132136ba934d40eaef3cb9aa  oldfashioned2.0.rar

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Thanks!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

What would be causing the updates to abort? I've uninstalled/reinstalled this thing three times after attempting to install the 460 patch crapped out the first time. The previous update (EP1) installed fine the first time but after the building update took a poo poo, even if I do a complete wipe of any and all folders associated with the game, EP1 craps out now too.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Schorsch posted:

Uploading done.

- GrandFromage & GodlessCommie Pack: GrandFromage-Plugins.zip
- *PUNCH* OldFashioned Pack 3.0: Oldfashioned3.0.rar
- *PUNCH* OldFashioned Pack 2.0: oldfashioned2.0.rar

MD5 sums:

code:
a370cf17e5c0573a3d3eff616a592fa2  GrandFromage-Plugins.zip
3b298ff4ec1dcf93a69cf902295e0af7  Oldfashioned3.0.rar
0bbcf48f132136ba934d40eaef3cb9aa  oldfashioned2.0.rar

Holy poo poo, you rule. I'll add these to the OP and remove the old links. Thanks so much!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Eh, fuckit, I'll just chuck my discs and buy the bloody steam version. Until then I guess I'm stuck playing the unpatched version.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Yeah, it's worth it. Wasn't it the case that EA isn't even hosting the various patches anymore? Honestly I've got zero experience with actual standard patches, wish I could be of more help.

In other news, I've actually been playing the game! My Fhuzo region is a bit bigger (there are more cities further downriver - I'm working on one now towards its head)

Building an industrial/low-income district:

And using the elevated rail mod for the first time. Though it seems pretty crash-happy, so I might just stick to more conventional stuff. Too bad, as it's really pretty.

All on OldFashioned3.0.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah EA no longer host the patches, I had to source them from the mod communities. Honestly I'd be happier having it on Steam anyway for a number of reasons. Does the SC4 Launcher work on the steam version though?

I just figured out how to get regions to work and how to get a working region from the bmp and jpg files. I downloaded a couple of new regions (as well as Fhuzo, natch) including the island of Tahiti, and after seeing your explanation of editing the region config.bmp in the OP I went looking for additional information. This goes into quite a bit of detail and also mentions using R255G0B255 purple for creating holes in the region map. It also explains that you aren't limited to square layouts, and has a couple of nifty-looking examples, including a notch-cornered rectangle with an oval of big city plots surrounded and surrounding a bunch of smaller plots.

http://www.simcitycentral.net/knowledge/simcity4/regional-customization-part-1-city-plot-layout/

Also, for anyone else who, like me, tends to get overzealous in the early game and expand too fast, subsequently going broke:
http://www.simcitycentral.net/knowledge/simcity4/simcity-4-newbie-tutorial/

And some neat tricks with transportation (including how to use single road sections to create yield zones, and a sexy-looking way to terminate highways)
http://www.simcitycentral.net/knowledge/simcity4/special-tricks-using-transportation/

I've been looking for tutorials on better/more efficient city planning too, because I end up cramming everything too close together.

edit: Your cities look lovely, my tutorial cities have been ravaged by my ineptitude but now I'm moving on to a clean region and trying a much more conservative, paced approach.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 4, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The crash thing is if you hover a puzzle piece over a transit-enabled building, like a rail station. Build all your puzzle parts first, then add the stations after and it shouldn't crash. And save frequently while doing any puzzle piece stuff.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Grand Fromage posted:

The crash thing is if you hover a puzzle piece over a transit-enabled building, like a rail station. Build all your puzzle parts first, then add the stations after and it shouldn't crash. And save frequently while doing any puzzle piece stuff.

Learning this little detail basically transformed my SC4 playing. I never could figure out what I was doing to make the game crash until hearing about it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

It's crashing long before I've got to the point of placing rail stations. All I've done so far is place my power plant at the edge of the map, I go to lay a bog standard road down beside it and it crashes out. I just checked, and it's doing it regardless of where I lay the road, I placed four road sections in the middle of nowhere and it CTDed again.

Edit: I just uninstalled every mod I had installed and tried again, and it still does it. However, I switched from Fhuzo back to the tutorial region and it let me slap road down without issue.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 4, 2013

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CitrusFrog posted:

It's crashing long before I've got to the point of placing rail stations. All I've done so far is place my power plant at the edge of the map, I go to lay a bog standard road down beside it and it crashes out. I just checked, and it's doing it regardless of where I lay the road, I placed four road sections in the middle of nowhere and it CTDed again.

Edit: I just uninstalled every mod I had installed and tried again, and it still does it. However, I switched from Fhuzo back to the tutorial region and it let me slap road down without issue.

I have a similar problem with the Fhuzo region, except for me it CTDs whenever I do anything all. It crashes when I lay road, rail, build a power plant, powerlines, do some terraforming...anything. Basically, the second I interact with the terrain in any way, it crashes. So all I can do with the Fhuzo region is just look at how pretty it is.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

You have the version of Fhuzo region that requires certain tree mod.
edit: This one, I think? http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28296-pacific-northwest-tree-controller/

There is a link to no plugins version in the OP:

Schorsch posted:

Turns out, I had a backup.

Looks like poo poo but is rendered without any plugins. I forgot to do some smoothing on a few coasts, too.

Download this and extract it into your Regions folder, rename as you see fit: http://www.dieanothertry.de/files/FhuzoNoPlugins.zip

e: oh and there's no heightmap, it only came with a SC4M file to load into Mapper or Terraformer.

Bernardo Orel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 4, 2013

Maltor
Sep 24, 2011
So I switched out graphics cards after my NVIDIA card took a dump, to an AMD card. An AMD HD 7850 to be precise. And now SimCity 4, which has run for years for me without a hitch, is absolutely refusing to even start for me! The exception reports say that it is crashing REALLY early on, and I'm sure it's a graphics card issue. I've tried without plugins and with all manner of different combos of plugins. I've reinstalled the game from scratch twice, too, and tried all kinds of startup and graphics options...

I've got a feeling it's got something to do with Graphics Rules.sgr and I've found a couple of guides to editing it but I can't be sure I'm getting it right, because although I add my card/vendor to the list of graphics cards, there isn't any change. Has anyone tried editing Graphics Rules.sgr who can provide some advice so I can be sure I'm doing it right? Or has anyone else found a different fix for this kind of issue?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've previously had an insta-crash problem. I think I resolved it by removing all commandline parameters and deleting the configuration files, to let it start all over setting up graphics. After that I could add my commandline stuff to start windowed etc back.

Maltor
Sep 24, 2011
That actually worked, strangely enough. The black magic that is powering this game's bloated corpse these days scares me... The first time I started it, it literally just showed me static. The time after that, it was flashing a lot and it ran at maybe 0.2FPS. The third time it just... is working.

The game can learn.

Anyways I got everything working except Custom Resolution. The game still instantly dies when I try to set any kind of Custom Resolution, but the pre-configured resolutions can get me close enough to where I want to be so I guess I can deal with that. Thanks!

Maltor fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 5, 2013

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Bernardo Orel posted:

You have the version of Fhuzo region that requires certain tree mod.
edit: This one, I think? http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28296-pacific-northwest-tree-controller/

There is a link to no plugins version in the OP:

Whoops. Thanks for clarifying that.

Also, I think I'd like one of these in my region
http://www.simtropolis.com/omnibus/_/simcity-4/tutorials/creating-realistic-out-of-town-shopping-centers-r96

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 5, 2013

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Does anyone know a good mod for dirt roads? Trying to make a few rural farm towns, but they look kinda silly with flawless streets everywhere. :(

I'm using Old Fashioned 3.0, but it doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

NAM (included in Old Fashioned) comes with the street addon mod, which allows you to make dirt streets (as well as cobbled, tiled etc). This post has a guide on how to use it, it's pretty straight forward.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

BBJoey posted:

NAM (included in Old Fashioned) comes with the street addon mod, which allows you to make dirt streets (as well as cobbled, tiled etc). This post has a guide on how to use it, it's pretty straight forward.

Thanks! :3

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

On the topic of the silliness of the SC4 community, this makes for a funny read:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1445.0

quote:

We terminated the membership of "He Who Will Not Be Named" (we assume that is his real name as well as his nic) for reasons I will, as noted above, not go into. Several weeks later, a new member nic'd "Tyreal_56" registered. Yesterday, Tyreal_56 posted this.

We saw this and took a look at Tyreal_56's registration information. It was almost immediately apparent that Tyreal_56 was none other than Mr. Pearce. We are now checking the laws of Canada (where he lives) to seek to determine whether what he did was an actual crime- as it would be in my jurisdiction (Alaska- obtaining services through fraud or misrepresentation). If there appears to be, we will evaluate making a criminal complaint. He Who Will Not Be Named is now persona non grata here.

Every building a modder crafts for SC4 drains a little of their sanity. Entire skyscrapers have the potential to drive their builder mad.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Wow, that's pretty drat special. Modding communities can be so weird.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm not really sure what's going on there but I feel it's best that my mind is protected from whatever Lovecraftian horror is going on.

Are there any decent island or archipelago regions out there?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

How utterly detached from anything resembling reality do you have to be to think you can start criminal proceedings against someone for registering a forum account? I really hope they keep us updated on their adventures in Canadian criminal law so we can see just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

bobthedinosaur posted:

I'm not really sure what's going on there but I feel it's best that my mind is protected from whatever Lovecraftian horror is going on.

Are there any decent island or archipelago regions out there?

I found an allegedly "to-scale" Tahiti map on Simtropolis (link) when I was looking for new regions to play last week. I don't know about "to-scale", but it's pretty sodding big (52x44KM) and is supposedly made using satellite terrain data.

There's also Joak Tropics, and the extremely wide-looking Koplar Mt. Beaches region.

I haven't started building in any of these regions yet to tell you how playable they are, but here they are nonetheless.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
I repeatedly go through the phase of "I must have a realistic looking terrain for my region" only to sour on the whole idea after an hour or two. It's decent for aesthetics and all, but the way SC4 handles diagonal roads and ploppables makes the process of actually building a city tedious at best. I can't count the number of photorealistic regions I've abandoned after spending minutes checkering an area with roads just to have the railroad track stop interfering with placing civic buildings where I need them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BBJoey posted:

How utterly detached from anything resembling reality do you have to be to think you can start criminal proceedings against someone for registering a forum account? I really hope they keep us updated on their adventures in Canadian criminal law so we can see just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Oh, but before that he defamed them by writing some non-nice comments elsewhere on the internet. Also, all of us will now lose any SC4D account we might have because we're expressing dissatisfaction with any element of it.
Completely loving bonkers.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Brotato Broth posted:

I repeatedly go through the phase of "I must have a realistic looking terrain for my region" only to sour on the whole idea after an hour or two. It's decent for aesthetics and all, but the way SC4 handles diagonal roads and ploppables makes the process of actually building a city tedious at best. I can't count the number of photorealistic regions I've abandoned after spending minutes checkering an area with roads just to have the railroad track stop interfering with placing civic buildings where I need them.

Other than setting up a road that circumnavigates the entire map with neighbour connections 6 tiles in and usually a central avenue or two I tend usually to plot road layouts as I'm laying the area because I suck at city planning. I also suck terribly at implementing rail-served industrial parks and in overall planning because I end up trying to overcompensate for demand.

I also have a bad habit of skipping the village/small town phase and attempting to start a larger city early on.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So did I do something wrong or?
I downloaded the game, patched it, installed the OldFashioned 3.0 pack, extracted that into the Simcity 4 folder in my Documents and patched the game with the 4GB patch for good measure. Now the game just automatically turns itself off when I try to start a new city. No warnings nor errors. Just turn off :(

Edit: Nevermind. Had to mess around a bit with the settings and now it works perfectly :3:. Time to create an awesome city!
2ndedit: and now its back to crashing again ahahahah :suicide:

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 21, 2013

• Locked thread