Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

MrJacobs posted:

It fits as well as a 15 year old mutant super genius able to make technology work on a level only seen by multi-billion dollar technology corporations. Seriously, how the gently caress did Donatello build half those drat things from old newspapers and turds since thats all he would really have to work with?

Splinter fits perfectly fine with the rest of the sheer insanity this show just throws at the viewer, and is more awesome for it.

By reverse engineering really advanced alien technology? And losing your family and mutating into an animal with notoriously low life spans has to age a dude quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
So when is the next season supposed to start?

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

bouncyman posted:

So when is the next season supposed to start?

This Fall!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPBfHlk40xE

Friday marks my last day working on Turtles. I'm off to board now at Titmouse for Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja. I feel bad that I haven't been able to say much about the show's inner workings. I can never tell what's under wraps and what's ok to discuss (and then they go and post stuff like this!). That said, I do want to post a little bit about my two years on Turtles soon.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Recycle Bin posted:

I feel bad that I haven't been able to say much about the show's inner workings. I can never tell what's under wraps and what's ok to discuss (and then they go and post stuff like this!). That said, I do want to post a little bit about my two years on Turtles soon.

Do you have any idea how the show is doing commercially out of interest? I'm presuming it has to be doing well given that it was renewed for not just one, but two more seasons less than half way through season one, but I've never seen numbers or anything at the same time.

Veg posted:

Slash is billed as a good guy for next season

What a kick rear end finale. Super excited for season 2.

While that's cool and all, Slash is another turtle and I was specifically asking for another mutant of a different type than a turtle that was a good guy and helpful in fights. Admittedly I had forgotten about Pete and Dr. Monkey, who I do hope come back at some point just for their oddness, but I'm still hoping for something like a mutant elephant or giraffe or something that's just a good guy basically. Also, for Donny to make himself a metal or composite stave because jesus gently caress why is he still using a wooden one that breaks every few episodes?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wish Leatherhead came back in the finale.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Recycle Bin posted:

This Fall!

Friday marks my last day working on Turtles. I'm off to board now at Titmouse for Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja. I feel bad that I haven't been able to say much about the show's inner workings. I can never tell what's under wraps and what's ok to discuss (and then they go and post stuff like this!). That said, I do want to post a little bit about my two years on Turtles soon.

Well, at least all that experience with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will help you with what I'm assuming is a non-mutant human teenage ninja.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

tsob posted:

Do you have any idea how the show is doing commercially out of interest? I'm presuming it has to be doing well given that it was renewed for not just one, but two more seasons less than half way through season one, but I've never seen numbers or anything at the same time.

I can't comment on numbers, but working in a toy store it certainly seems really popular. I get parents and grandparents coming in or calling and asking about it all the time, it seems to move about as much as other major toy lines like Hot Wheels.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

tsob posted:

While that's cool and all, Slash is another turtle and I was specifically asking for another mutant of a different type than a turtle that was a good guy and helpful in fights. Admittedly I had forgotten about Pete and Dr. Monkey, who I do hope come back at some point just for their oddness, but I'm still hoping for something like a mutant elephant or giraffe or something that's just a good guy basically. Also, for Donny to make himself a metal or composite stave because jesus gently caress why is he still using a wooden one that breaks every few episodes?

If we're calling in random animals I want some Usagi.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

Hell yea Usagi is my #1 hope for the upcoming season, I was actually kind of surprised he wasn't introducted in the first when you think about all the other mutants they threw in.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think Usagi's not a mutant and is from a completely unrelaed comic and now the turtles' liscensing has changed so I don't know about the chances of his appearance

Recycle Bin posted:

This Fall!

Well, it's been fun and I hope you can share more soon. I always like a peek behind the curtain.

Here's some spoilerly preview sketches of season 2. While back I had teased about them but I did not want to post them until season 1 was finished.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Dr_Amazing posted:

The trick with Usagi is that he isn't part of the Turtles franchise proper; he's owned by his original creator, Stan Sakai. So it'd be a matter of whether or not Nick wanted to work something out with Sakai.

Of course, if you ever want more Usagi Yojimbo, his own comic has been published over the past 26 years, and is the second longest-running comic under a single creator; it's a fantastic series that I can't recommend enough, especially if you like the tone of the current cartoon. Usagi Yojimbo is a good deal more melodramatic, but also tells a lot of light stories too, and Sakai is probably one of the most gifted cartoonists in the industry.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I think Usagi's not a mutant and is from a completely unrelaed comic and now the turtles' liscensing has changed so I don't know about the chances of his appearance

Well, it's been fun and I hope you can share more soon. I always like a peek behind the curtain.

Here's some spoilerly preview sketches of season 2. While back I had teased about them but I did not want to post them until season 1 was finished.

Ok, I wasn't expecting that Baxter Fly :stare:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Oh my I love Casey's missing teeth. It looks great, and makes a lot of sense. Poor guy probably got in over his head one or two times.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
It sounds pretty cute hearing a Scottish kid looking forward to "fall" for this show (and others)*
A global village.
Not a homogenized US-lead war on kids brains like her grandparents say, in a less pleasant way.

The kiddo likes a show with a reasonably strong female character, and all they moan about is ninja violence and "awesome" being overused.
Some people would have it re branded Hero Turtles again. Twats.

*and nature, leaves etc too, but we'll keep that as autumn.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
Would it not behoove the turtles to get ahold of some mutagen, and maybe populate their species a little bit? Hell, just some girls. They're gonna be super lonely. My heart goes out to Donny especially, when April inevitably gets the hots for Casey.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Of course, if you ever want more Usagi Yojimbo, his own comic has been published over the past 26 years, and is the second longest-running comic under a single creator; it's a fantastic series that I can't recommend enough, especially if you like the tone of the current cartoon. Usagi Yojimbo is a good deal more melodramatic, but also tells a lot of light stories too, and Sakai is probably one of the most gifted cartoonists in the industry.

Seconded. The series is on a hiatus at the moment but the collections are really good and reasonably priced, It's apparently really historically accurate (talking animals not withstanding) but mainly it is just really good.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Season 2 premiers Oct. 12

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Would it not behoove the turtles to get ahold of some mutagen, and maybe populate their species a little bit? Hell, just some girls. They're gonna be super lonely. My heart goes out to Donny especially, when April inevitably gets the hots for Casey.

Beyond the creepy implications and practical issues with your suggestion, I'm just going to point out we've gone down this road before; let's learn from history.

Recycle Bin posted:

Season 2 premiers Oct. 12

Woooooo ooooooooooo ooooooo :dance:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Beyond the creepy implications and practical issues with your suggestion, I'm just going to point out we've gone down this road before; let's learn from history.

Thanks for reminding me that Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation is the only loving thing related to TMNT available on Netflix.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Seeing as how the April/Donnie dynamic is nothing but creepy and weird and is probably the worst thing on the show, next to Splinter never helping his sons when the odds are insanely against them. which is actually a testament to how good the program is overall.

I hope to god Casey has a cricket bat. I mean sure you have to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket, but I think he can manage.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

Seeing as how the April/Donnie dynamic is nothing but creepy and weird and is probably the worst thing on the show

Pretty much. The show is good enough to overlook it, but it's a pretty terrible running gag.

And here's a new season 2 preview, on a more positive note.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

MrJacobs posted:

Seeing as how the April/Donnie dynamic is nothing but creepy and weird

What? I think it's super sweet. It always makes me giggle whenever Donnie does something to impress her.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

A goofball having a crush on a girl is something the target demographic can relate to.

That said, the inter-species aspect of it is pretty weird.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On the other hand it's just plain romantic to lots of people when it's a vampire and a human. Or a werewolf and a human. And aliens and humans are fine in lots of sci-fi. To me it just seems another extension of that so I've never had a problem with it, nor would I if the show actually put them together, though I know that's not going to happen.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's not a criminal act or anything, I'm just leaning back and saying "gah!" whenever it comes up.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pretty much. The show is good enough to overlook it, but it's a pretty terrible running gag.

And here's a new season 2 preview, on a more positive note.

Is Mikey covered in horrible sores and boils at one point when he says "you just got shell shocked son!"? :barf:

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

New season just aired. :woop:

It'll be interesting to see the hunt for the dragonballs ooze all across the city. I'm also hoping that Mikey keeps tapping on Timothy's glass at least once every episode. Surely nothing would go wrong from doing that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I am really surprised that they'd have the protagonists gently caress up so hard and have such cruel repercussions with April's dad being a mutant. And he'll probably stay that way - Wingnut is a mutant from the 80's franchise. A lot of other shows can't do things like that without the suits stopping them. From the entirety of Transformers Prime to loving Star Trek: Insurrection I've heard the story over and over again.

There's so many little things in this show I get such a kick out of, like that loving Game Boy.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I think Mikey referring to him as Wingnut was just a quick nod to old fart fans like us. I don't think they intend to use the name.

I don't watch a lot of TV, and very few cartoons, but this incarnation of TMNT is one of the best written kids' shows I've ever watched. Nick's writers do a good job writing for the kids while throwing in tons of stuff for old fans. It's cool that kids have gotten such an enjoyable version of the turtles to watch.

I have very little hope that the new TMNT movie will be anything other than terrible and make the Nick TMNT look like absolute gold by comparison.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Splinter's cat line really got me :roflolmao:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's a good way to amp up the merchandising potential and give a very strong story beat - it feels like a screwup they'll be dealing with repercussions of for a good long while. The former part may seem negative, but I recognize that merch is the lifeblood of most cartoons these days, and I'm fine with that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Of all the references I expected to see in a TMNT episode "dramatic chipmunk" wasn't one of them.

Seems like this season is the one where they'll find a cure for the mutagen given the events here. I wonder what Shredder's plan is beside "get more useless foot soldiers."

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
Well, the old show had anti-mutagen.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Well, the old show had anti-mutagen.

He'll it even had an anti mutagen gun.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
I wonder why every other person who gets exposed to mutagen is huge and disproportionate? I've been thinking the turtles must have received a low dose when they were babies, so they didn't mutate horrifically. Just my theory.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ProfessorLoomis posted:

I wonder why every other person who gets exposed to mutagen is huge and disproportionate? I've been thinking the turtles must have received a low dose when they were babies, so they didn't mutate horrifically. Just my theory.

I'm also curious why the main characters all came out intelligent, while most of the random guys are almost completely feral.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Ah man, loved how this episode was basically one giant homage to Aliens.

"Game over, man!" indeed.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

PureRok posted:

Ah man, loved how this episode was basically one giant homage to Aliens.

"Game over, man!" indeed.

The best was Splinter's inspiring speech about bravery... Only to have the guys use Metalhead. "There has to be some kind of lesson of brains over bravery or something."

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
Mikey in that underwear has ended me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know I'm being incredibly nitpicky, but while it was kind of weird before in the first season when the streets were absolutely empty now there's cars and people going about and they aren't even trying to be stealthy!

Anyways, intellectually I know why they're keeping Shredder off to the side (so he can maintain his villainy through our imagination/not getting defeated every week) but I still kinda wish they would bring him in more often now.

• Locked thread