Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rolo posted:

Sweet, let us know how it is? It looks a little bulky for my starving CFI arms.

Will report back. Totes excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Its not that much more expensive than the Seiko pilot watch I have been wearing for six years, the flight computer which I have only used probably once, without needing to.

If the battery life is good and the night mode decent, doesn't seem like a bad deal for what it offers. Its a shame it wont interface with GoPro, only Garmin's proprietary camera.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

brendanwor posted:

OP change please :)
Thailand/Australia - ASEL/AMEL Commercial IR NVFR CFI SF34 - Airlines

Done.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

DNova posted:

Not all airplanes have GPS in the cockpit.

But would any pilot who looked at this watch and went "ooh shiny" really be flying an aircraft without a panel GPS, or at least an iPad & GPS?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

fordan posted:

But would any pilot who looked at this watch and went "ooh shiny" really be flying an aircraft without a panel GPS, or at least an iPad & GPS?

Sure, why not?

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

fordan posted:

I have a friend with a Tiger Cub (one person shrunk down cub copy) who flies out with us to some EAA fly-ins. No electrical on the airplane, and this would take up little space. I could see him potentially getting stoked about it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm looking at it as a way for an instructor to keep tabs on nearest airports and situational awareness while letting the student have free reign over the panel. Problem is you can do this and more on an iPad mini for around the same price.

I still want one, I just don't quite know why.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dalrain posted:

I have a friend with a Tiger Cub (one person shrunk down cub copy) who flies out with us to some EAA fly-ins. No electrical on the airplane, and this would take up little space. I could see him potentially getting stoked about it.

Just seems to me that if you this is a lot more cool gadget than serious aviation tool, and people who cared about such things would have already hopped on the Foreflight (or similar) bandwagon, be it iPad or iPhone. But I could see the appeal of going up with just a watch in a Cub and have it in case you get lost or need to find the nearest airport. Not that most Cubs I know fly high enough to make it an airport with an engine failure...

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

fordan posted:

Just seems to me that if you this is a lot more cool gadget than serious aviation tool, and people who cared about such things would have already hopped on the Foreflight (or similar) bandwagon, be it iPad or iPhone. But I could see the appeal of going up with just a watch in a Cub and have it in case you get lost or need to find the nearest airport. Not that most Cubs I know fly high enough to make it an airport with an engine failure...

I'd consider a more convenient backup than a handheld receiver in case I got lost or whatever. There are lots and lots of fun airplanes without any electricity or big spaces for ipads and suchlike.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It looks cool, but it's a lot of money and I don't wear a watch. I don't think I'd ever end up using any of the features, really.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

fordan posted:

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. I'd be surprised if many people who would take an interest in something like this wouldn't already own a handheld Garmin or an iPad.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Its not really that expensive as far as watches go. Its just a cool watch. Analogue watches with a flight computer can go much higher, and most people don't need an additional flight computer. I've seen people pay ridiculous amounts for a watch that have an ELT. This has more functionality. The style is not horrible. If I needed a watch I would consider it as long as the battery life is not silly.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
This is probably a long shot and possibly not the right thread for it but it's the only aviation thread I can find on SA :shobon:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of plane is in this painting? Someone I know took a photo at an airshow to paint it from but didn't learn what kind of plane it is. He's hoping to sell the painting but that would be a lot easier if he could say what was in it!

Thanks in advance, hope this is in the right place :ohdear:

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
The consensus in my household is that it looks like a pre-WW1 de Havilland or Avro or something like that. But since its from a photo from an airshow, maybe a replica?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Knockknees posted:

The consensus in my household is that it looks like a pre-WW1 de Havilland or Avro or something like that. But since its from a photo from an airshow, maybe a replica?

It's a replica of a Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2; it was at the Goodwood Revival this year apparently.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

MrChips posted:

It's a replica of a Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2; it was at the Goodwood Revival this year apparently.

I can tell you that it was indeed at Goodwood, so I'll believe you! Thanks a bunch!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Anyone done underwater emergency egress training where they dunk you? What was it like?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

Anyone done underwater emergency egress training where they dunk you? What was it like?

I want to do this and I'd love to hear stories as well.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I'm going tuesday and I'll write it up.. so far I've found this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojm1gKXj1jI It looks fun, but also a little intimidating just to be flipped upside down underwater in an enclosed space.
I'm also not really much of a swimmer although I'm not terrible either, but I'm not used to having my eyes open underwater sans goggles and I can't see very well without my disposable contacts in, so curious how that is gonna go down.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

I'm going tuesday and I'll write it up.. so far I've found this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojm1gKXj1jI It looks fun, but also a little intimidating just to be flipped upside down underwater in an enclosed space.
I'm also not really much of a swimmer although I'm not terrible either, but I'm not used to having my eyes open underwater sans goggles and I can't see very well without my disposable contacts in, so curious how that is gonna go down.

I'm horrible at opening my eyes under water and even worse about not somehow automatically getting water up my nose instantly (even with the slow exhale technique)... But I think it's probably good to have some experience with getting out of an upside down aircraft under water, if only so you aren't so shocked by everything if it really happens. I'm looking forward to your review!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah, that's my biggest concern. I don't think they'll let you have swim goggles as that's not really realistic. I just talked to my optometrist though and they said it's fine to wear my daily contact lenses as long as i dispose them as soon as I get out of the pool and just try to minimize the amount of time I have my eyes open w/ the contact lenses underwater.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

What are the details of the course you're doing? Why are you doing it? How much does it cost?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
No idea on any of that as it's all through work. Doing it so I can fly single engine around hawaii and possibly between islands.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Slaughter posted:

Our aircrew does these, and they say it's no biggie. You do it once above the water. The divers watch you hand-over-hand out of the thing. Then they dunk you slowly, without a flip, with a breathing device, with the lights on, and you hand-over-hand out. You do a total of five dunks, each one removing one of the earlier devices in the order listed. So the last dunk is fast, with a flip, no devices, in the dark. By that time, you're cold, tired, sore, and wet, so it's a fairly decent representation of what a crash would be like, stress-wise. The divers are there the whole time, and will rescue you after you pass out.

Apparently the worst part is the "three-two-one-ready" and then some random length of time between 0 and 15 seconds before the thing falls. Keep your wits about you and realize that you can't actually die doing this and you'll be fine.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Slaughter posted:

I did, it sucked but it was useful. First half was all academics, what to eat, how to operate ocean survival equipment, multiple ways to procure water, etc. Second half was pool/raft/hoist intro. Then we learned how to meet up in the water, how to use a personal life raft, group life raft, etc. The training began in stages, always pitch black, with the wave machine going and being sprayed with hoses. First how to get in a personal life raft and get established, then in a group one, and then finally the capstone with the dunker. Some anxiety about going into it, but millions of people have done it before me, and millions will after so just pressed on and did it.

edit: they had divers all around, and those who couldn't swim had to wear a helmet with a glow stick attached.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 13, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

MrChips posted:

Confirmed! Here it is at the bottom of the page, exact same plane. Thanks a bunch!

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/revival/event-explorer/freddie-march-spirit-of-aviation.aspx

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Did the egress training today. Our cockpit replica was not nearly as cool as that linked in the video. I guess it got the job done but it was basically just a seat in a little enclosure thing they flipped (by hand).
The lovely thing is just being flipped upside down and everything it was hard to not get a bunch of water up your nose, also, I'm not used to opening my eyes under water, which wasn't bad but for some reason every time I did it, I sucked up a bunch of water.
We also practiced getting into the raft. It's got a big blue ladder on it and it sounds very easy to get into the raft. It ... is not actually that easy, you really have to pull yourself up, and because it was like a 2 layer raft it was quite tall. Also learned how good a big black trash bag is for warmth under water, and they had the aviation-style life vests where you get in the water and pull the two straps to inflate. ("To manually inflate, blow into the red tube....") Which then gets really tight around your neck and you have to push on the red tube to deflate them slightly. I guess they were old so the light did not in fact turn on upon entering the water as it would otherwise. There was also a silly gulfstream cockpit emergency exit thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utAJ7pSd0xc which shows the dunker as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Eclipse 500s have crystal-clear radios. No interference at all, easy to hear. It really sucks that they are essentially flying pains in the rear end in nearly every other measurable way.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Crossposting from the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

So, I decided to go to flight school starting in January. I'm having a lot of trouble deciding if I want fixed wing or rotary though. Realistically, I want both, but I don't have that kind of money. I know we had a goon somewhere that was doing helo training, if you're him, PM me or something.

Not mil, I'm doing it through the local college (and hillsboro aviation if that means anything)

Granted, I'm not looking at this completely for a ~career~, but it would be nice to know that if something happens with me firefighting that I'd have something to kind of fall back on. I guess a "job market report" on helos vs fixed wing is really what I'm looking for. The people at the school swear up and down its possible to transition to a turbine job after being a CFII for a year or two, but I've also heard the exact opposite of that.

Really I just want to fly for enjoyment, but if I could get a job doing it, that's even better.

(using my GI bill for this.)
(pretty sure I can't do fixed wing then add on rotor using my GI bill either)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
You better be very wealthy if you want to fly helicopters for fun.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Like, Harrison Ford wealthy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

Like, Harrison Ford wealthy.

Harrison Ford literally does helicopter medevacs "for fun"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

hobbesmaster posted:

I didn't think it was possible for Harrison Ford to be cooler and then I find this out.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

If Harrison Ford came to me in a helicopter after an accident I'd just assume I died.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

invision posted:

but it would be nice to know that if something happens with me firefighting that I'd have something to kind of fall back on.

How does flying for a living make sense as a job to "fall back" on? Wouldn't you want something more stable and reliable for a backup plan?

Just admit you want to do this for fun and go for it. Especially if it's all/mostly paid for.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rolo posted:

If Harrison Ford came to me in a helicopter after an accident I'd just assume I died.

I`d die shortly thereafter when he strangles me cause I won`t stop making wookiee noises.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
If it's effectively free or subsidized for you with the GI money, get your rotor wing to start with. Adding fixed wing on your own dime later is easier/cheaper.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Got to see my first runway incursion yesterday.

I was on about a one mile final with a student, when we noticed a turbine Twin Commander wandering across the threshold of our assigned runway towards a taxiway on the other side. Since there were three local frequencies in use at the time (two for tower, one for ground), I assumed that the Commander had been cleared across the runway on another frequency, until the tower controller told us to go around and started trying to get the attention of the Commander pilot.

After three or four calls, the tower controller managed to get in contact with the Commander pilot (who had no idea he'd crossed a runway), and managed to get the pilot back to the runway and off the ground. Right before the Commander got handed off to departure, he got the "Commander XXX, possible pilot deviation, advise you contact the tower at..." speech from the tower controller.

I've seen a few pilots almost have runway incursions because of poorly marked or confusing intersections, but this guy somehow managed to miss the freshly repainted (and really obvious) hold short line and signs at an intersection where the only possible routes are to cross (or hold short of) the runway to the taxiway on the other side or make a left 90 degree turn onto the runway for departure.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

The Slaughter posted:

I do the dunker pretty regularly for quals. I enjoy it. We use HABD respirators which make it kinda fun, you can just chill in it and take your time, though you can't really see poo poo. I'm usually stuck however with people who freak and get pulled out of it or start attacking me

Where did you do yours? I love the water survival training stuff.

Also, guy wanting to fly helos for fun, how much does your GI bill cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Bob A Feet posted:

Also, guy wanting to fly helos for fun, how much does your GI bill cover?

All of it!

• Locked thread