Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sinking Ship posted:

So what do goons think of Bakemonogatari and all it's ...sequels? spin-offs? I don't really understand the continuity at all but that's par for the course for anime in my experience. It seems pretty popular and lots of people have things to say about it so I've been making an effort to watch it. But the art style is weird as gently caress, not like, Madoka levels of disjointed craziness but pretty drat strange. For me at least it's pretty disconcerting, does it ever get more "normal"? Is it worth watching in spite of the weirdness? Does the weirdness contribute to the story in some meaningful way I can't yet understand? I just dunno, I watched the first few episodes and since it has so much hype I sort of want to soldier on but I just don't like the style much.

Basically I'm trying to ask if people think it's good / enjoyable enough to put up with the slightly strange art or alternately if I'm just wasting my time.

Wasting your time, the surreal art and dialogue are the only reasons to watch it and if you don't like that then there's not much point. It's also creepy as gently caress in a bad way a fair amount of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Monogatari remains pretty consistently weird. I would say to a certain degree that's what people like about it; it's certainly much more ambitious in some artistic areas (while also being sleazy in others). For me, the dialogue is the main attraction. Nisio has been able to develop a pretty good rapport between just about every character and it all combines previous weirdness to make something that feels pretty unique. But it also comes with a lot of baggage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think that we're beyond euphemisms when it comes to the *Monogatari/*Story series. Both the Novels and Anime are a clusterfuck of ideas and characters that when they work, goddammit they knock it out of the park. As Nate mentioned, the dialogue/rapport between most of the characters is great, especially given how there's very few characters and that it doesn't have the "problem" that lots of Anime/Novels have of having gigantic-rear end casts trying to vie for your attention. The fact that you can actually feel that some of these characters are moving forward / developing as people is also pretty swell.

There are some things, however, that come off as creepy / retarded / just plain bad, but since almost all of those things are supposed to be played for titillation purposes, it makes most people cringe. With good reason. The novels also have this recurring problem of going off into weird tangents about the more meta aspects surrounding the series, and really: I don't give a gently caress about what Nisio thinks about the voice actresses portraying the characters.

The weirdness of the anime does(or at least I think it so) contribute to the idea that, regardless how good or bad the cast are, they're all a bunch of self-obsessed twats, which makes sense when you think about their physical/mental age.

So, to answer your question: If you're going for the anime, the strange art is part of the package. The continuity does becomes a good deal more clearer later on(even if some parts have not been animated yet) and there are going to be parts that WILL make you uncomfortable. Thread lightly, I guess.

Glad we were of assistance. :tipshat:
vvvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 11, 2013

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Eh sounds like I'll take a pass, strange things just confuse me, thanks for shedding a bit of light goons.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I enjoyed Bakemonogatari quite a bit, but not so much the rest of them.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Norwegian Uber Goon Connoisseur
I have a dilemma, I watched the trailer for Kill la Kill and didn't like it, then watched the first episode on the bus to work and loved it. Problem is I can't really watch it on the bus cause it goes super fan service almost immediately, so I'm wondering if there's anything as random without the almost nude characters every 3 minutes? (will still watch kill la kill during lunch where no one can judge me)

fake edit: also super happy that the new Hajime no ippo is back to the old style again. I really recommend Hajime no ippo for sport anime fans.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Depends what you mean by 'random.' Did you like how kinetic and fast-paced the show was, the constant-barrage of gags, or both?

Basically, do you want an action show, a comedy show, or an action-comedy type deal?

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Norwegian Uber Goon Connoisseur
both I think, it's weird cause from the trailer I really didn't like it at all but watching the episode it just worked for me. So action-comedy deal

edit: re-watching cromartie high school for comedy value. I had forgotten about this until mentioned earlier in this thread.

edit 2:

VVVVVVVVVV Yeah FLCL is great fun, I might re-watch this again. I didn't like Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi as much tho. Will have a look at Dead leaves this weekend, thanks.

OxeHunden fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 11, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Fooly Cooly and Dead Leaves

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Champloo? Its tone varies a bit from episode to episode but there's a sequence involving samurai baseball, which says all that needs to be said about its more goofy moments.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Sequence nothing. There's a whole episode about a samurai baseball game.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
And it is hilarious.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Then there is that one :catdrugs: episode. Good stuff.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

linall posted:

Then there is that one :catdrugs: episode. Good stuff.

Hah, I'd forgotten about that. Man I should rewatch that series it had some great moments.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Are there any really awesome movies in the last 3-4 years I should watch? I stopped watching anime but was turned on to REDLINE and wouldnt mind seeing more cool stuff like that. :getin:

Aside from Ghibli stuff, I always watch those. :shobon:

EDIT: VVVV I actually watched those too, sorry! Excellent recommendations though. :)

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 13, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
NGE Rebuild 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33. By far some of the best movies of the last few years.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Are there any really awesome movies in the last 3-4 years I should watch? I stopped watching anime but was turned on to REDLINE and wouldnt mind seeing more cool stuff like that. :getin:

Aside from Ghibli stuff, I always watch those. :shobon:

EDIT: VVVV I actually watched those too, sorry! Excellent recommendations though. :)

Wolf Children. It has the same director as Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

And if you haven't seen any of those, watch 'em all! Mamoru Hosada is probably gonna be the next big name in anime movies once Miyazaki has retired for good (he claims he has retired, but to be honest he has said that after every movie he made in the past decade or so I can't see him stopping until he's dead).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Wolf Children. It has the same director as Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

And if you haven't seen any of those, watch 'em all! Mamoru Hosada is probably gonna be the next big name in anime movies once Miyazaki has retired for good (he claims he has retired, but to be honest he has said that after every movie he made in the past decade or so I can't see him stopping until he's dead).

Apparently he is indeed retiring: http://www.animationmagazine.net/features/miyazakis-fond-farewell/

e:VV

quote:

“I’ve mentioned that I would retire many times in the past, so a lot of you must be thinking ‘Oh, not again,’ but this time I am quite serious … My work is really about sitting at the desk and drawing. And at my age, you just reach a point when you have to put down the pencil a bit earlier each day and go home.”

He even acknowledges that, so I'm pretty sure it's not another red herring.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 13, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering how many times Miyazaki has claimed to be retired only to come back, I think I'm right to be highly skeptical!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sword of the Stranger is a perfect clockwork action movie.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
So I've finished Star Driver (which I thought was ok, didn't like the open ended ending and thought it really lacked conclusion), Sword Art Online (which I liked for the first half, was bored of the second part with a bit of :pwn:, but the ending was pretty good), Attack on Titan (which I can't loving wait until the next season of it).

Other notable stuff I've enjoyed:
Black Lagoon, TTGL, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, FLCL, Darker Than Black, Death Note, Durarara, Great Teacher Onizuka, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, Now and Then; Here and There, Katanagatari, Welcome to the N.H.K., Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Cromartie High School

Most of my tastes are for action, or downright ridiculous stuff, but I enjoy a good romance show every now and then, and sometimes a little bit of :smith:. I've been told to watch Kill La Kill by a pal of mine, but anything else to kill time while that goes on would be spectacular.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baccano is a fun period thing with a decent amount of action. It portrays three different frames of time at once so you might have trouble keeping track of the plot if you aren't paying fairly close attention, but it's a fun watch even if you don't follow the plot perfectly, and it's neat to watch an anime set in probition era America. The dub is also fantastic. It's by the same author as the original Durarara novels, too.

EDIT: Also the opening is a work of art.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Baccano is a fun period thing with a decent amount of action. It portrays three different frames of time at once so you might have trouble keeping track of the plot if you aren't paying fairly close attention, but it's a fun watch even if you don't follow the plot perfectly, and it's neat to watch an anime set in probition era America. The dub is also fantastic. It's by the same author as the original Durarara novels, too.

Seconding that the Baccano dub is amazing, especially Isaac and Miria :allears:.

Also I'm surprised Martian Successor Nadesico and Eureka Seven aren't on that list given what you mentioned your preferences as. Some other things you might like are Redline (which everyone should watch because god drat it's a fun movie), Excel Saga, Nichijou, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (watch the dub for this, it's amazingly funny), and Last Exile.

For a specific recommendation that has a bit of everything to your tastes, watch Gungrave. The first half follows two friends through their rise to power over several years in the mafia (it jumps a few years every 3-5 episodes) and the gradual wedge between them ending in betrayal (not a spoiler, as it's shown in the very first episode before going all the way back to the start in the second episode), and the second half (with a heavy dose of sci-fi stuff that's makes it a pretty jarring shift in the setting, but still watchable) is the main character's journey of revenge. What makes it good is it has well-written characters and the entire second half is just grows into one big round of :smith: as it goes on.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
If you liked FLCL and you like crazy action stuff you should watch Dead Leaves.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Thirding this, the show was amazing. You might also like The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. There is also a new show that just started that is supposed to be a lot like Sword Art Online called Log Horizon. I've only seen two episodes so far, but it looks like it might be good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Fantastic, brutal, insane, brilliant. It's a bit odd that you saw Durarara first though, but Baccano is definitely the better of the two.

Seconding Dead Leaves and Seagoon's suggestions.

You should also check out Ghost in the Shell. It's a fantastic action thriller, but it comes with a lot of philosophical musings so if that's something you can't stand... watch it anyway. Every single title in the franchise is top quality stuff.

Jormungand is a lot like Black Lagoon, so I think you'll like it.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also I'm surprised Martian Successor Nadesico and Eureka Seven aren't on that list given what you mentioned your preferences as.

I want to expand on the Eureka Seven bit; it's my favorite by far and any chance I get to recommend it I will take.

So it's a mech show where the giant robots air-surf, which is already loving awesome. But the mechs aren't really the focus, the characters are: the show is also simultaneously thematically based on 1960s surfing counterculture and rips directly from The Golden Bough, one of the most important early anthropological texts. The music score is incredible (I actually liked it better than Bebop!), the cast of characters are fun, developed, and interesting, and there is so much depth in the significance and symbolism of everything that happens. I've re-watched the series at least once every year and every time I find something new that I didn't notice before and adds a whole new dimension to the show.

Flipping that around though, some of the character motivations and actions (particularly surrounding the main villain) are fairly inscrutable on a first watch. The last tenth of the show or so especially may not make much sense at first glance. But I rather liked that the villain wasn't easy to understand.

As for how it fits your tastes, being a mech show, E7 certainly has its dose of action, but romance is a central theme and relationships (romantic, familial, and platonic!) between all kinds of people in many stages of life get their time in the sun to be explored. If you have time to watch 50 episodes of something, then E7 is worth it. There's more information on the ADTRWiki page, particularly some more caveats about the first several episodes, which are largely considered to be lackluster but I like them just fine.

But don't watch the movie or the sequel unless you really love the show; they're pretty bad and all you'll really get out of them is a fun recognition of how the characters or setting have changed.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
Yeah pretty much watch E7 at least three times if you enjoy living and filling that life with good things.

Movie is conceptually successful and interesting. Not the best movie ever made but a really nice little excursion in the boundaries of the IP.

Sequel is straight garbage.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
Thanks a bunch. I'll definitely be looking at Baccano, Dead Leaves, Eureka Seven and Jormungand. They seem to be really similar to the stuff I enjoyed most. I've noted the other things but I'll get those ones later. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm looking to show Eureka 7 to some friends. 50 episodes is way more than they usually watch, so I'm wondering if there are any episodes that are recommended safe to skip? I can think of one early on that's Renton and Eureka nearly getting arrested on his uncle's fruit farm or some dumb thing like that, but are there any others? Mostly it'd be good to get into the really good stuff as soon as possible so I'm looking to facilitate that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm looking to show Eureka 7 to some friends. 50 episodes is way more than they usually watch, so I'm wondering if there are any episodes that are recommended safe to skip? I can think of one early on that's Renton and Eureka nearly getting arrested on his uncle's fruit farm or some dumb thing like that, but are there any others? Mostly it'd be good to get into the really good stuff as soon as possible so I'm looking to facilitate that.

Don't skip anything, Eureka Seven is exactly as long as it needs to be. The only bad episodes are clustered right at the beginning and they're sadly all plot-relevant.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Don't skip anything, Eureka Seven is exactly as long as it needs to be. The only bad episodes are clustered right at the beginning and they're sadly all plot-relevant.

Oh yea. This is a show that continues to get better right up until the end. Everything is worth watching but the first several episodes. Despite being atrocious, they are unfortunately necessary. I probably would have not watched the rest of the show if this thread hadn't yelled at me into doing so, but boy was I glad I did.

Keep pushing your friends to keep going until they've cleared that poo poo hump, then just sit back and let them enjoy the entire 50 episode ride.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

So I just finished Tiger and Bunny on hulu. Is there a second season? If not, anything similar to fill my wanting heart? :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They're making a sequel movie that may or may not lead to a second season. Until then, there sadly isn't anything else in the franchise to watch.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Brainamp posted:

So I just finished Tiger and Bunny on hulu. Is there a second season? If not, anything similar to fill my wanting heart? :(

Did you see last season's Gatchaman Crowds?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Brainamp posted:

There is a movie coming out soon, and the current season has Samurai Flamenco, which is shaping up to be a very different kind of superhero story, but otherwise, no. Tiger and Bunny stands alone.

Sorry Corals posted:

Did you see last season's Gatchaman Crowds?

Although this is also a good suggestion. Gatchaman Crowds is a very good show with a few things in common with Tiger & Bunny. It is very different, though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Brainamp posted:

There's a second compilation / remake movie coming out and hopes are that something will come out after that but absolutely nothing is confirmed.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

My brother would like to watch some good dramas. He'd prefer something not in the present time. So something historical or more fantastical.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

My brother would like to watch some good dramas. He'd prefer something not in the present time. So something historical or more fantastical.

Victorian romance emma is a good one, even if the second season isn't as great as what the manga does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was into anime for a little while a few years ago but I haven't seen all that much (I watched Cowboy Bebop/Welcome to the NHK and a bunch of movies like Paprika/Perfect Blue/Grave of the Fireflies. I also read Death Note and liked that a lot) Then out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago I somehow started watching Chihayafuru which I loved and I don't really know where to go from that. I guess I'm open to just about anything but I'd prefer some kind of drama. (Also I'm usually not all that into actiony/fantasy stuff if that helps)

• Locked thread