Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Broand posted:

So Pangoro and Doublade can clean out Team Flare battles pretty easily. Pangoro is great for smashing dark types and Doublade resists poison and can cut apart psychic types with ghost attacks.

Mawile is all you need :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I would also really like to see what Spiritomb looks like in the new engine, given he was basically completely flat in past games. Let alone the Porygon line.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
It's not a pokemon game unless it has a fisherman out in the middle of nowhere using 6 overleveled Magikarps.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

So, I'm not sure if anyone really cares, but it seems like the best way to soft reset for Xerneas is to battle them, faint them, and then from there you'll just be started out in front of Xerneas without a cutscene and you'll be able to enter battle ASAP to check for shinyness or nature or whatever.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
What does it mean when a Pokemon wiggles back and forth when you send it out?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

horriblePencilist posted:

Mawile is all you need :getin:

Man, you aren't kidding. I picked one up just because I think Mega Mawile's design is super cute. I did a little Super Training but only made it like a fifth up the side bar. But man, I gave it Payback and it has been ruining peoples' days. It's slow as balls so it works out really well. Only thing that's out-slowed it was a Slowpoke. :v:

My team is really middling. As much as I love Vivillon, he is still an early-game bug and thus kinda falls into a hole after a certain point. Braixen needs to evolve because he's really fragile. He's also Neo Flareon because he's special-attack but gets nothing but physical fire moves! Fire Spin? Flame Charge? Fuckin' get outta here and gimme Flamethrower already!

Sylveon's a beast after getting Draining Kiss. That move is kinda gross and it only has 50 power. I'd imagine Super Training its S.Atk up would really make it ugly.

Shockingly, my Gloom is probably my team's sturdiest fighter. Sleep Powder + Infestation, man. Put a thing to sleep then cover it with bugs! Mega Drain and Venoshock are just there for something to do while it's out cold and crawling with insects. I wish we had a moves list available. I dunno whether to evolve him into a Vileplume or a Bellossum. Anyone raised either of them yet?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
How do I tell if a pokemon prefers attack or special attack? I just caught a pikachu with a modest nature - is that going to hurt me later on? Does it even matter at this stage in the game or is that something I should worry about later.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I just spent an hour looking for a Goomy. Finally find one, get its health to near-zero levels, and toss my balls at it. 3 Luxury balls, a premier ball, three ultra balls, a timer ball, and 16 pokeballs later and I'm out and this shitbag is still rain dancing.

I didn't want you, anyway, Goomy. I'll find a better Goomy, and we'll adventure together and tell stories about you. "Remember that other Goomy? Yeah, that guy was a dick."

Luckily, route 14 is my favorite Pokemon route yet, thematically.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I would also really like to see what Spiritomb looks like in the new engine, given he was basically completely flat in past games. Let alone the Porygon line.

Stunfisk as a 3D model is the best.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I have a male Ralts that just turned into Kirlia, but it has a Calm nature. Should I wait for a Gardevoir or go for Gallade?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zhent posted:

How do I tell if a pokemon prefers attack or special attack? I just caught a pikachu with a modest nature - is that going to hurt me later on? Does it even matter at this stage in the game or is that something I should worry about later.

I've never paid any attention to natures/EVs/IVs in any Pokemon game and I've been fine. I think it really only matters if you get serious about battling other players

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Have you seen a Stunfisk in 6th gen? :lol:

e: beaten

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Previous Jesus posted:

Have you seen a Stunfisk in 6th gen? :lol:

Gothitelle is also pretty funny looking. I don't know if the other members of that family are also 2d piece of cardboard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So despite everyone telling me Carbink were super rare, the very first pokemon I ran into in the reflective cave was one. Clearly we were fated to be together :3:

Now to grind him a bunch of defense and special defense so he can become the wall.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

So despite everyone telling me Carbink were super rare, the very first pokemon I ran into in the reflective cave was one. Clearly we were fated to be together :3:

Now to grind him a bunch of defense and special defense so he can become the wall.

I dunno who told you they were rare. I ran into tons of them.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
People keep telling me Ralts is amazing but he seems really piss weak?
My ralts' stats -
AT 16
DEF 20
SP. AT 26
SP.DEF 21
Speed 26
Bashful

and he knows Teleport, Confusion, Double Team and Return, all of which either don't do damage or do piss poor amounts of damage, and confusion never confuses. Any physical attack against him really seems to hurt him quite bad also. He's level 19 and has 41 health.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Special Attack training level 3 can go gently caress the devil in hell. I can not beat it for the life of me. In fact, Sp.A training sucks in general. :mad:

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Dumb question here, but how do we tell when the game considers it to be officially "night"? My Amaura just levelled to 39 and I expected it to evolve because I thought it'd be considered night at 6:30 PM but I guess not?

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Zhent posted:

It sounds like you're completely new to the games so I'd say don't worry about it for now, just enjoy going through the game for the first time without worrying about natures and stuff.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

DiabloStarCraft posted:

People keep telling me Ralts is amazing but he seems really piss weak?
My ralts' stats -
AT 16
DEF 20
SP. AT 26
SP.DEF 21
Speed 26
Bashful

and he knows Teleport, Confusion, Double Team and Return, all of which either don't do damage or do piss poor amounts of damage, and confusion never confuses. Any physical attack against him really seems to hurt him quite bad also. He's level 19 and has 41 health.

Wait until he evolves. He's similar to Abra in that the first stage of that family is absolute garbage.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Zhent posted:

It really doesn't matter at all

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beat the game. Roughly 19 hours 15 minutes.

The credits have lyrics. You get the national pokedex after the E4

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Unbound posted:

Wait until he evolves. He's similar to Abra in that the first stage of that family is absolute garbage.

Abra is only garbage because it only starts with teleport. It's got base 105 sp attack and base 90 speed. Slap the right TM moves on it and it'll slaughter everything all the way to Kadabra.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Unbound posted:

He's Male, is it a better idea to turn him into a Gallade or a Gardevoir?

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

goldjas posted:

Dumb question here, but how do we tell when the game considers it to be officially "night"? My Amaura just levelled to 39 and I expected it to evolve because I thought it'd be considered night at 6:30 PM but I guess not?

The Tyrunt I was training evolved at around 7ish, so whatever the game considers night, it must be pretty late.

Trying to get Sligoo to evolve is annoying. It says level 50 in the rain, but apparently Rain Dance isn't good enough. But it's not naturally raining on any my ingame routes either. Ugh!

EDIT: Route 14 was raining when I first went there, but now it's not. It's currently 12:30am where I am though, so it might be a time thing.

HeyItsAyls fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 14, 2013

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It was raining on route 14 last time I was there.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

DiabloStarCraft posted:

He's Male, is it a better idea to turn him into a Gallade or a Gardevoir?

What nature does he have?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Interesting. I got to the Judge, and he will actually point out stats that are horribly low by saying "But how can you make it through battle with this kind of *stat* stat?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Love how rockin the Team Flare battle music is

edit: Also uhh... the glistening cave is fully 3D, even the top down view of it. Why aren't the other non-battle parts of the game like this?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is Carbink slated towards attack, special attack, or can he do either?

Melinoe
Jul 27, 2012

Why isn't it Froderick?
Sorry if this has already been asked but there are lots of pages of thread to sort back through. I've been playing through Y and just caught a female Combee, and on the Pokemon menu it has a little disc next to its health. What does this mean? I haven't seen it on any of my other Pokemon so far and I can't find any obvious thing in its stats that would denote what it means.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Unbound posted:

What nature does he have?

Bashful, which doesn't bring any stats with it apparently.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I unlocked all 32 boxes for myself to start organizing my Pokemon. I'm relieved to find that the time it takes to save doesn't get horrendously long like it did for Generation 5 when you opened up all the boxes there. It does take LONGER, but I only even notice because it already saved incredibly fast--it goes from like, .2 seconds to .5 seconds.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Quick Balls are just as amazing this generation as they were during earlier ones. Use it on the first round of battle, and it has a good chance to capture most Pokémon without any weakening at all. It even costs less than Ultra Balls.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Melinoe posted:

Sorry if this has already been asked but there are lots of pages of thread to sort back through. I've been playing through Y and just caught a female Combee, and on the Pokemon menu it has a little disc next to its health. What does this mean? I haven't seen it on any of my other Pokemon so far and I can't find any obvious thing in its stats that would denote what it means.

It means it has a move it can use, ie Fly. Press A on the pokemon and go to "Use Move" to see what it is.

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Bashful, which doesn't bring any stats with it apparently.

I'd say make it you're pick. I think Gallade is Psychic/Fighting and Gardevour is Psychic/Fairy and a mega evolution.

raito
Sep 13, 2012

Melinoe posted:

It knows a move you can use on the field. Probably Sweet Scent. Think that move summons a horde battle

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Is there someone to recommend shorts as being "comfy and easy to wear!"?

Melinoe
Jul 27, 2012

Why isn't it Froderick?

Unbound posted:

It means it has a move it can use, ie Fly. Press A on the pokemon and go to "Use Move" to see what it is.

I'd say make it you're pick. I think Gallade is Psychic/Fighting and Gardevour is Psychic/Fairy and a mega evolution.

raito posted:

It knows a move you can use on the field. Probably Sweet Scent. Think that move summons a horde battle

Oh! Rad, thanks guys!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there someone to recommend shorts as being "comfy and easy to wear!"?

Yes.

e: just got Zygarde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Holy poo poo, 1 million pokebucks for the charizard Y stone. Daaaamn.

• Locked thread