Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I just beat Skeletron Prime! That fucker has been the bane of my existence for like a whole loving year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

watho posted:

I finally got the Ankh Shield. Only had to grind for the Nazar, Blindfold and Vitamins but it was still a pain. Nazar was probably worst.

The nazar is where I am at in making the ankh shield. Those enemies are so rare that it is a huge pain. How did you manage it?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Finding the jungle temple really sucks on a Large world. Myself and two other players spent a good 5 combined hours looking for the drat thing. We finally did but not before I looked almost everywhere else for it (Black blob above the red cursor:

Worst part is that I had missed it by a few feet when I explored the water tunnels above it.
:negative:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I remember finding ours before I knew what it was and searching for the entrance. I started less than a screen away and mined all the way around the edge in the wrong direction. I also triggered the first plantera going around it, and almost drowned several times.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I didn't realize the Nazar was that annoying to get. I'm glad that I got one when clearing out the dungeon.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

FPzero posted:

Finding the jungle temple really sucks on a Large world. Myself and two other players spent a good 5 combined hours looking for the drat thing. We finally did but not before I looked almost everywhere else for it (Black blob above the red cursor:

Worst part is that I had missed it by a few feet when I explored the water tunnels above it.

This is a good reason to take spelunking potions with for any deep exploring - in this scenario, you probably would've seen a chest glowing as you were swimming by.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Me and 3 friends played through together so when I went to make my Ankh Shield there were already 3 Nazars stashed away in one of our five thousand communal chests.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Read posted:

Me and 3 friends played through together so when I went to make my Ankh Shield there were already 3 Nazars stashed away in one of our five thousand communal chests.

I don't suppose there are any left because I found the first one and when I went off on my own now I don't have one :(

Read
Dec 21, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

I don't suppose there are any left because I found the first one and when I went off on my own now I don't have one :(

I found an extra one last night, server is down till Coff gets back though :(

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Goodpancakes posted:

The nazar is where I am at in making the ankh shield. Those enemies are so rare that it is a huge pain. How did you manage it?

Cursed skulls in the dungeon. It's still a pain but a very much reduced one.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Been playing around with the infusions, Ichor with Vampire Knives is excellent. The damage bonus is far more significant than with most melee weapons because it's flat and Vampire Knives deals many smaller hits.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Well, I got shroomite armor and a Megashark. I've killed all the Mechanical bosses now. I'll go after Plantera tomorrow.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

FPzero posted:

That pic gives me a really good impression of how big a large world is. I' glad I didn't start off on one like I had planned.

lesbian at Evergreen
Aug 9, 2006
Trying something a little different, more cozy.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
It is the bane of my building existence trying to get NPCs to be able to travel freely between floors. I've found some nice tricks to get them to work, but it requires pneumatics to get online so it is really annoying me in this early new game. Watching these morons walk in circles because they can't hop down a small gap to walk down stairs is maddening. Especially when I've watched them plummet off of cliffs without a second thought. Hopefully the AI is improved in T2... that and some more CAD-inspired building tools.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

That pic gives me a really good impression of how big a large world is. I' glad I didn't start off on one like I had planned.

Yeah it's way overkill for singleplayer. Even medium is probably too big if you're new.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The most isolated, yet strangely high energy micro-biome.

I know a lake sealed between lava and honey doesn't seem like a natural environment for a hell bat, but there ya go.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Did Red seriously gently caress up the NPC AI again or something? Because I have a house filled with rooms that are all perfectly fine, and they all have wooden platforms that are easily accessible to everybody and should be extremely easy to reach, but this loving Dye Trader is refusing to go to his compatible housing and instead spends the entire night running around the main floor opening doors to the outside like he's the loving Guide V 2.0

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If he decided to put guide AI back, that would be hilarious.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

death .cab for qt posted:

Did Red seriously gently caress up the NPC AI again or something? Because I have a house filled with rooms that are all perfectly fine, and they all have wooden platforms that are easily accessible to everybody and should be extremely easy to reach, but this loving Dye Trader is refusing to go to his compatible housing and instead spends the entire night running around the main floor opening doors to the outside like he's the loving Guide V 2.0

NPCs won't jump up or down platforms unless they literally cannot move anywhere else. Either block him in with dirt under the platforms or go mining or something and he'll teleport to his room(and never come back down).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Could be worse, you could have your tenements set up so that in the daytime every single retard decides to party on the roof.

On the plus side, I managed to throw together a bitchin' dance club and greenhouse in response.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RatHat posted:

NPCs won't jump up or down platforms unless they literally cannot move anywhere else. Either block him in with dirt under the platforms or go mining or something and he'll teleport to his room(and never come back down).

See, he won't do that. I went mining for a while, he was still on the bottom floor. I quit/reload my game, still on the bottom floor. My housing says that it is valid, and his room is even listed with his stupid face on a banner, but he just won't go upstairs. This happened in both my worlds and it is frustrating as hell. :mad:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

See, he won't do that. I went mining for a while, he was still on the bottom floor. I quit/reload my game, still on the bottom floor. My housing says that it is valid, and his room is even listed with his stupid face on a banner, but he just won't go upstairs. This happened in both my worlds and it is frustrating as hell. :mad:

Kill him.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Read posted:

Kill him.

When my NPCs spawn, they always spawn outside my house, then walk in. This has happened every single time. I don't know why, they just do. I'll get the "Merchant has arrived!" message, go up to my house, and he'll be out in my backyard getting his face eaten by slimes.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

When my NPCs spawn, they always spawn outside my house, then walk in. This has happened every single time. I don't know why, they just do. I'll get the "Merchant has arrived!" message, go up to my house, and he'll be out in my backyard getting his face eaten by slimes.

Even if you're nowhere near the house when they spawn? I dunno what else you could do then :(

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Bible Challenger posted:

Trying something a little different, more cozy.

That's pretty cool, but pneumonia and werewolves come to mind before cozy.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

RatHat posted:

Yeah it's way overkill for singleplayer. Even medium is probably too big if you're new.

YEah, I'm about a hundred hours in now, and I've made a decent dent in a medium world, but if I'd gone big, I'd probably be sick of walking and digging by now.

I've just killed wall of flesh a couple of times which was fun.
Can't wait to see how mental the dungeon and the jungle is. I've been managed by spiders in my hellevator twice whilst on my way to hell to kill the wall. It's a nice relief to get to hell as relatively speaking it's easyville now. Fuuuuck.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So I finally made a world with Crimson and rushed it to hard mode and got my stuff for a Golden Shower and holy poo poo. :iia:

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

So apparently the nazar/countercurse mantra doesn't do poo poo against cursed flames?? I thought it was going to be a loving breeze to kill the twins with it equipped but nope, spazmatism still set me on fire every 10 seconds. Has anyone else had an issue with it?

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Countercurse_Mantra

VV Nevermind, I misunderstood the wiki page. Thanks.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 14, 2013

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Having protection against curse does not mean having protection from being immolated.

Also, it's a different status effect.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
So on the subject of map sizes, I decided to start playing this blind when I heard about the new patch. I picked large. I hit water early on and kept digging. Hit more water, then more water, then more water. Kept digging thinking eventually it would have to drain somewhere.

So my question is, will that underground ocean all eventually disappear? It's been draining into hell for a while now and the water level at the top hasn't changed. I thought because water evaporates in hell I'd be golden, but the map size is just ridiculous and if there's some kind of location zoning going on with fluids I'm screwed. It takes about 5 minutes to float down that fucker.

lesbian at Evergreen
Aug 9, 2006

Hm, re: the building on the right. Think it looks right? I was going for bushes in the foreground and the face of the building behind it but i dunno if I pulled it off.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bible Challenger posted:

Hm, re: the building on the right. Think it looks right? I was going for bushes in the foreground and the face of the building behind it but i dunno if I pulled it off.
Use activators on leaf tiles to deactivate them and get two "backgrounds" at once. The hammer makes it even better. You can remove the activators afterwards without damaging your build.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 14, 2013

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

splifyphus posted:

So on the subject of map sizes, I decided to start playing this blind when I heard about the new patch. I picked large. I hit water early on and kept digging. Hit more water, then more water, then more water. Kept digging thinking eventually it would have to drain somewhere.

So my question is, will that underground ocean all eventually disappear? It's been draining into hell for a while now and the water level at the top hasn't changed. I thought because water evaporates in hell I'd be golden, but the map size is just ridiculous and if there's some kind of location zoning going on with fluids I'm screwed. It takes about 5 minutes to float down that fucker.

if you save and quit, the next time you load that it'll have flooded hell proper. probably the quickest way to do things.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What're the new NPCs? The OP didn't actually indicate any.

Also is there any way to A) Have some kind of defence for your base when you're not around B) a way to stop basic worms from tunneling into your surface house yet? Like, I get bosses flying in but it's really dumb basic 10 hp worms can. It makes me feel like I'm not progressing to have to deal with the basic hazard constantly.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 14, 2013

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Here's the list.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Npc

Read
Dec 21, 2010

For anyone who's having the same problem with fluids not settling on a server as opposed to single player game, you can just type "settle" in console and it should fix the problem in ~5s.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

splifyphus posted:

If you're playing singleplayer, do not play on large maps - they're for multiplayer servers with 4+ people. Play small or medium if you really want a world that feels 'big'.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there no trophy for King Slime? I guess he's not considered a boss, even though he has a message when he appears and when he dies.

Anatharon posted:

Also is there any way to A) Have some kind of defence for your base when you're not around B) a way to stop basic worms from tunneling into your surface house yet? Like, I get bosses flying in but it's really dumb basic 10 hp worms can. It makes me feel like I'm not progressing to have to deal with the basic hazard constantly.

A: You don't really need it since enemies only spawn near you, but what I did is set up barriers around all the doors, put transistors on them, and hook them up so I just flip the switch when a Blood Moon happens. A much simpler way is to just put something in the way of the door so it can only open outwards. Monsters only open doors inwards so they won't be able to get in; goblins can though since they just destroy doors.

B: Only if you build your house high enough that worms won't be able to reach it. Worms can pass through all blocks otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Somewhere in the dungeon I picked up a purple (colorblind so I'm guessing) sword that looked like a phaseblade and figured I'd sell it whenever I get back from my expedition since I've already got one.

Actually it's a Legendary Muramasa. :getin:

• Locked thread