Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My goal is to melta a vehicle for every terrain type. So I already tagged a boat for water, now I just need something for earth and something for air.

I guess I'll have to melta something for HEART just to round out the set.

(Aramexans are all about the heat, so whenever I get someone/thing with friendly fire, that'll count for fire.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Through your heroic actions you too can summon a greater demon clad in granny panties and hooker boots.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The new-game smell has worn off my OW game, which has me considering running something else. How much interest would there be in The Black Sepulchre for DH1? Running a published adventure would cut down a lot of the work for running it, and I much prefer the DH premise to OW's.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
I've just finished running that trilogy in RL and it's a hell of a trilogy. Definitely worth playing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

The new-game smell has worn off my OW game, which has me considering running something else. How much interest would there be in The Black Sepulchre for DH1? Running a published adventure would cut down a lot of the work for running it, and I much prefer the DH premise to OW's.

I am often up for Dark Heresy and Dark Heresy accessories.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

Daw, does that mean the adventures of my ratling sniper are over? I really like the game, but I think trying to have OW characters try to do an investigation just doesn't seem to be working. Square peg round hole and whatnot.

So as long as your sinking of Only Heresy guarantees me a spot in Dark Heresy, I say go for it!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Werix posted:

Daw, does that mean the adventures of my ratling sniper are over? I really like the game, but I think trying to have OW characters try to do an investigation just doesn't seem to be working. Square peg round hole and whatnot.

So as long as your sinking of Only Heresy guarantees me a spot in Dark Heresy, I say go for it!

I'm still going to run Only Heresy provided there's still interest, but a certain jerk-faced individual has not posted to bite his plot hook so half the group is standing around with their dick in their hands. The team in the Administratum building is making progress. If you feel stuck, post about it in the OOC thread or try a knowledge skill check to get fed some info.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm still going to run Only Heresy provided there's still interest, but a certain jerk-faced individual has not posted to bite his plot hook so half the group is standing around with their dick in their hands. The team in the Administratum building is making progress. If you feel stuck, post about it in the OOC thread or try a knowledge skill check to get fed some info.

Well there is no excuse that the other folks in that half of the squad can't just do something too. I've noticed that when a game relies on someone to drive the action, sometimes the GM has to prod them, other times the GM just has to force action.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

This. That is why I was going to have the psyker relay the info to y'all if her player hadn't posted right away.

But no seriously, you all in 16t are pretty well self motivated and take initiative as needed.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
You want me to do something in 16T, just have civvies in danger, since Zachary is sort of on a whole redemption mission.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Felt this would probably fit better in here than in the regular tabletop thread, as it's exclusively about fluff.

I want to start running Subjugators based on the little amount of fluff they already have, but I'm looking for inspiration and ideas to give them a bit more character.

A summary of the fluff they already have:

Imperial Fists successors.
One of 20 chapters made to guard Eye of Terror/Cadian Gate.
Tend to annihilate civilian populations as well as opposing forces.
Described as "idiosyncratic".
Similar to Black Templars in their philosophy, but also follow Codex Astartes and do not crusade.

Any ideas on how I could elaborate them a little?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Go with the idea of 'if they failed to defend themselves, they were too weak to live.' Maybe their initiation rites are even more insane than usual for the Space Marines.
What style of fighting are they best at? Urban warfare? Maybe they recruit from Hive or Forge worlds. What sort of history would lead to this background?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Sounds pretty decent. I was thinking that they have some beef with Salamanders too, due to their apparent disregard for civilian casualties.

Insane initiation rites seem par for the course for Imperial Fist successors, so that's probably a given.

If they're going to be defending the Cadian Gate, urban warfare seems pretty smart. I was also thinking, since I'm going to be using the IF chapter tactics, which gives bonuses for bolt weaponry use, that they have a thing for bolt weapons, in the same way that, for example, Salamanders revere flamer and melta weaponry.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're meant to be utterly unsubtle and overly destructive, so I'd probably lean towards using lots and lots of blast weapons. Scouts would probably be carrying missile launchers, or maybe all on scout bikes? Might even go so far as to slightly ruin their pinpoint damage in favour of more area coverage.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I do like the 'lots of explosions' idea, but maybe they kill the civilians while leaving the infrastructure intact - if they're based out of a hive world, they'll know how valuable and irreplaceable archeotech is.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

VanSandman posted:

Go with the idea of 'if they failed to defend themselves, they were too weak to live.'

I guess you could do this, but it seems weird to me unless you want the chapter to be borderline to rogue. The whole point of the Astrates is that the universe is packed with horrible things that no one else can defend themselves against. They know that they are the Imperium's absolute peak, so disparaging (and killing) others for not being them would be pretty nuts.

I think it would be much better to attribute it to the fact that they are guardians of the Eye of Terror, and so must have faced chaos incursions semi-regularly. They know that anything under the control of chaos - people, machines, even buildings - may be corrupted in subtle ways, giving you no choice but to ruthlessly destroy everything or risk terrible consequences. Maybe you will kill some loyal Imperial citizens, but their sacrifice ensures they will join the great light of the Emperor. It's for the best. Otherwise it will be like that time Brother Samius convinced us to spare the people in a Chaos slavepit, and BAM, as soon as we turned out packs they turned out to be cultists with multi-limbed horrors erupting from their orifices. Pass the flamers, better to be sure.

Their initiation rites would be particularly brutal, because they have to ensure that battle brothers will have the moral strength and fortitude to carry out the necessary acts to ensure the safety of the Imperium. Some men may balk at, say, dousing an entire city in promethium. Those men may serve the Emperor in a thousand ways, but are not fit to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Subjugators.

You can make this work with 'idiosyncratic', too. Have them totally flatten landing sites and kill thousands with collateral damage, and then after the victory hold heartfelt mourning services to the loyal dead. It'll seem utterly bizarre to everyone else, but only because they don't understand the burden the Subjugators bear.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I guess you could do this, but it seems weird to me unless you want the chapter to be borderline to rogue. The whole point of the Astrates is that the universe is packed with horrible things that no one else can defend themselves against. They know that they are the Imperium's absolute peak, so disparaging (and killing) others for not being them would be pretty nuts.

I think it would be much better to attribute it to the fact that they are guardians of the Eye of Terror, and so must have faced chaos incursions semi-regularly. They know that anything under the control of chaos - people, machines, even buildings - may be corrupted in subtle ways, giving you no choice but to ruthlessly destroy everything or risk terrible consequences. Maybe you will kill some loyal Imperial citizens, but their sacrifice ensures they will join the great light of the Emperor. It's for the best. Otherwise it will be like that time Brother Samius convinced us to spare the people in a Chaos slavepit, and BAM, as soon as we turned out packs they turned out to be cultists with multi-limbed horrors erupting from their orifices. Pass the flamers, better to be sure.

Their initiation rites would be particularly brutal, because they have to ensure that battle brothers will have the moral strength and fortitude to carry out the necessary acts to ensure the safety of the Imperium. Some men may balk at, say, dousing an entire city in promethium. Those men may serve the Emperor in a thousand ways, but are not fit to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Subjugators.

You can make this work with 'idiosyncratic', too. Have them totally flatten landing sites and kill thousands with collateral damage, and then after the victory hold heartfelt mourning services to the loyal dead. It'll seem utterly bizarre to everyone else, but only because they don't understand the burden the Subjugators bear.

This owns and I'm now considering all of this canon.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You could also make them very focussed on getting complete kills. Refuse to switch targets until the current one is completely destroyed, continue shooting fleeing units and things like that, it would be fluff more on your end than in the army-list though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
There are definitely loyalist marine chapters whose culture tends to hold the weakness of normal humans in contempt (the Iron Hands are the most obvious example). It probably wouldn't lead them to slaughter civilian populations on its own, but it might cause them to not shy away from it, given that they have at least a flimsy excuse.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How do servo-harnesses work, exactly? I don't see anywhere in the Deathwatch rule book how many mechandrites a tech marine can have, or how many the servo harness can accommodate.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

VogeGandire posted:

This owns and I'm now considering all of this canon.

Agreed. It's better than my idea by a mile.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Hey guys someone is running Dark Heresy.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

How do servo-harnesses work, exactly? I don't see anywhere in the Deathwatch rule book how many mechandrites a tech marine can have, or how many the servo harness can accommodate.

Did you find mechadendrites somewhere in the DW books? I think servo-harnesses just count as a single cybernetic that has all sorts of neat toys attached.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Mechandrite Use is a buyable skill for Tech-Marines, and the description for Astartes Servo-Harnesses list that 'at a minimum, a servo-harness consists of...' so it makes it seem like there should be some ability to add onto it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Does the 2 Strength Bonus a space marine gets from the +20 Strength by wearing a Power Armor works with the Unnatural Strength(x2) Trait?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
You apply the modifier for Unnatural Strength first when calculating your strength bonus, before the +20 from the armour. So if you have 50 strength, your strength bonus would be 5x2+2=12, not (5+2)x2=14.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Waci posted:

You apply the modifier for Unnatural Strength first when calculating your strength bonus, before the +20 from the armour. So if you have 50 strength, your strength bonus would be 5x2+2=12, not (5+2)x2=14.

That's about what I was thinking too, as the marine's strength is unnatural due to the fact he is a marine, and the armor goes on top of that. I much prefer the Unnatural Characteristic stuff from like BC, but DW wasn't designed with that in mind. When I ran DW I was applying the combat rules as they were in OW to it at the request of a couple players. It becomes confusing, don't try it. Stick with Deathwatch's rules as they are, and as GM change them as you see fit.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

This is still superior to Rogue Trader where the BQ Synthmuscle melee characters were hitting harder than a meltagun.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

This is still superior to Rogue Trader where the BQ Synthmuscle melee characters were hitting harder than a meltagun.
Try having a Genetor in heavy power armour and those things around:v:

"I flip their chimaera".

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Asehujiko posted:

"I flip their chimaera".

Yeah, for a RT PBP I ran once that was a little higher level, someone managed to get a tech priest up to 100 strength RAW. I just looked at it and went, "that's broke as hell" and didn't take the character.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Werix posted:

Yeah, for a RT PBP I ran once that was a little higher level, someone managed to get a tech priest up to 100 strength RAW. I just looked at it and went, "that's broke as hell" and didn't take the character.

Let me guess: He had both Machinator Array and Brute (from Genetor), plus probably some +10 str mutation from Tainted origin? I once theorycrafted that it would be possible to make an Explorator have 100 strenght and I think those were the things required. Plus a good strenght roll. Explorators seem like the class most likely to have DM going "that's broke as hell" anyway.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Werix posted:

To be honest, what isn't slightly broken at 15k xp?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Waci posted:

To be honest, what isn't slightly broken at 15k xp?

Your average Space Marine?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Only if they're in Deathwatch. A 15k xp space marine, even if generated using rules for that system, is rather broken anywhere else.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Base(25), lucky roll(17-20), deathworld(5), false man(3), tainted(10), machinator array(10), brute(10), strength advances(20) adds up to 100-103 depending on the strength roll.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Does anybody have a link to that Guard Regiment database for Only War? I think it was a google doc or something, but I'm too lazy to go back through 100 pages of thread.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

"I flip their chimaera".

All this made playing an arch-militant an experience in bullshit

It was like being a D&D 3.5 fighter. I can't even fire a heavy stubber without penalties until tier 3 while McCoggo the Clockwork Cockhead over here is knocking things out the park/ship/planet.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 14, 2013

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I doubt he's doing that before rank 3 though (oh god I'm becoming an explorator apologist I'm sorry).

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Waci posted:

I doubt he's doing that before rank 3 though (oh god I'm becoming an explorator apologist I'm sorry).

Well you can get unnatural strength at character creation so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
So can everyone else, though. The explorator specific stuff comes later.