Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

xie posted:

-Thry incorrectly believed "Where M and B are cast in stone," referred to a statue of a Man and a Beast. In 2004 when Eggbert met Preiss, the author clarified that line referred to busts of Mozart and Beethoven on a nearby building. [I think this is significant - the verses do not need to be 100% correct to dig it up.
I agree on this. For instance, in the Houston solve, if "the 982" really is the locomotive, then the previous lines really don't matter, all they'll do is help confirm you're in the right spot.

The thing that concerns me about almost all the other "solves" we've been working on is that no one seems to be able to pin down images in the paintings to exact locations of the dig. Both solved puzzles had pretty significantly sized images that were located exactly where the cask was dug up.

In the Cleveland dig, the planter that contained the cask takes up at least half the width of the painting and over an eighth of the height. The Chicago fence image is as large as any of the other visual clues and takes up roughly an eighth of the painting in both dimensions. They're large and prominent and even visible and identifiable on the thumbnail images.

These are the kinds of things we should be looking to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 23, 2016

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 7 NOLA: Gateway to the Americas theory.

Recompiling.

Line 1, jewels = something or someone precious, abound = great in number
Lines 2 and 3 = find tomb No.21 amidst a row of 15 tombs; its roof can be seen from outside the cemetery
Lines 4 and 5 = there are just 3 statues along the entire length of Basin street
Lines 6 and 7 = in the middle of palm trees, sound = upright, friends = pals (palling), fills = palms (hand) may be filled or empty, afternoon hours = sun's high point = Arecaceae are characterized as sunburst formations atop high stems/trunks
Lines 8, 9 and 10 = Sarmiento (S. American), sovereign = individual, palaces = tombs
Lines 11 and 12 = looking up to Morazan in recognition of the "gateway" (entrance) to North America
Lines 13 and 14 = "AA meeting" symbol resonates with the Morazan seal, representing New Orleans as the Gateway where the Americas (namesakes of Amerigo Vespucci) meet.
--
Notes: gnomes are small, admiration may mean "look up at someone"...Morazan is 10 feet tall. Fays delight = synonym for charm or entrance = gateway. Even better, both gnomes and fays admire and delight in gardens and Mayor Chep Morrison's concept is called the "Gardens of the Americas". Here's a short brief on the dedication of the three statues: http://www.neworleanspubliclibrary.org/~nopl/exhibits/gateway/bolivar.htm

This verse basically focuses strongly on three points: 1) line of sight on the top of a tomb, 2) standing in the middle of some palm trees, and 3) line of sight on the Morazan seal, matching the St. Louis AA symbol.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 5, 2013

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

It's the Legion of Honor near the Golden Gate Park, not the Palace of Fine Arts which is over by Crissy Field. It's still a mile and a half away from the park

First, flip the image and position the "Gh" along the Great Highway... Why would only one of the letters be capitalized?

At stone wall's door (you'll start at the stone-walled end of the park) What stone walled end?
The air smells sweet (travel down JFK ave and pass the Rose Garden, the Fuscia Dell and the Conservatory of Flowers)
Not far away
High posts are three (Sutro Tower seen in the distance) Not far away? Again, it's a over a mile away.
Education and Justice
For all to see (not sure what this references, but there are a number of museums and statuary all around)
Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high (Highway One passes overhead as you continue down the park along JFK)
Running north, but first across (go north and cross the park along "Crossover Drive." where, by the way, you'll pass the "Prayerbook Cross" featured in the movie, Dirty Harry) If you go under highway one then you're already at the north end of the park. Taking Crossover north and across would already put you on Fulton, which makes the next 3 lines useless. Also Mount Davidson Cross was the one featured in Dirty Harry, not the one in the park.
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention (cross the park north, hit Fulton Street and go across, along it) So across, and then across again?
Giant pole (Go north up 34th Avenue, through the golf course, and the ave ends at the Betsy Ross flagpole and the beginning of the Lincoln Highway) How would you know to take 34th up? It's a regular street, there is absolutely nothing special about it. I can also name 4 or 5 flagpoles between Fulton and Lincoln Park.
Giant step Which is where and what direction?
To the place
The casque is kept.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 1 San Francisco - Reflection theory

Lines 1 and 2, Rodan's Thinker, stuck on a problem at the door of the Palace of the Legion of Honor, heiress to sugar fortune or sweet cypress trees lining the roadways.
Lines 3 and 4, triple lamp posts along the parking lot.
Lines 5 and 6, Schools (Education) final four words of the Pledge of Allegiance, "and justice for all" to see [American flag = Betsy Ross] = BRMFP
Line 7, Sounds from the sky = seagull = "seek-ull" = seek "L", Terminus marker of the Lincoln Memorial Highway
Line 8, Near ace is high = 15th hole of Golf course
Lines 9 and 10, Golden Gate Bridge
Lines 11 and 12, "pen" = Alcatraz to the north east
Lines 13 and 14, BRMFP + El Camino del Mar = L. Mare: broad, dark areas of the moon = sea. Moon = "That's one small step for man, one giant L for mankind".
Lines 15 and 16, place = placer = pleasing/easy = restful bench on which to sit in reflection, facing the Golden Gate Bridge and the sea.

--
Notes: as with anything, it requires finding the right place to start. It helps to find a way to avoid trapsing all over the city using up all you're interpretations on a route. Instead look for a small condensed area which connects with the bulk of the verse. Here it's about taking notice of the idiomatic and common phrase "at a stone wall" which connects with Rodin's Thinker who is locked in thought. Identify the familiar words from you're old school days of saying the old Pledge. Recognize the answer to the Twain riddle and starting from the entrance to the Palace, walk down to the parking lot past where the BRMFP and L marker once were located, through the golf course, and across the road to the bench. The Ace has a numerical equivalent of 14 given that 10-J(11)-Q(12)-K(13)-A(?). Near ace is high would be a number near 14. Could be 12, 13, 15 or 16 depending on how you take the word "near" as it might mean just in the ball park instead of nearest.

Visual elements are all very puzzling. The moon is a clear symbol. The dragon's pearl is symbolic of luck and protection. I believe this resonates with some Classical Greek mythology if you're into the Iliad and Odyssey you might call attention to the Aegis of Athena aka Pallas (name derived from defeating the Giant) aka Minerva. I might conclude that the BRMFP is being used as a metaphor for Pallas' giant spear.

"Round the vast Orb a hundred serpents roll'd." - Iliad p134.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 6, 2013

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Urban Smurf posted:

Sounds from the sky = seagull = "seek-ull" = seek "L", Ace high = 10-J-K-L-A = "L" = Terminus marker of the Lincoln Memorial Highway

:golfclap: I really wish Preiss was alive so he could hear these.

einTier posted:

I agree on this. For instance, in the Houston solve, if "the 982" really is the locomotive, then the previous lines really don't matter, all they'll do is help confirm you're in the right spot.

The thing that concerns me about almost all the other "solves" we've been working on is that no one seems to be able to pin down images in the paintings to exact locations of the dig. Both solved puzzles had pretty significantly sized images that were located exactly where the cask was dug up.

In the Cleveland dig, the planter that contained the cask takes up at least half the width of the painting and over an eighth of the height. The Chicago fence image is as large as any of the other visual clues and takes up roughly an eighth of the painting in both dimensions. They're large and prominent and even visible and identifiable on the thumbnail images.

These are the kinds of things we should be looking to find.

I totally agree except the cask I'm trying to find (Milwaukee) has crap as far as images go. We have a woman posed like Solomon Juneau (as seen on his plaque, on his statue), a City Hall, and practically nothing else concrete. Both those locations are about 1km apart. But they are a few miles from the Grand Staircase where everyone thinks it is and the verse seems to fit best. Not that it can't be somewhere else, I just am having a hard time lining things up to the image like the found casks were and I've been on foot at least once a week looking for clues - even if it's only for an hour.

And Milwaukee is a small city.

I think I'll start writing up the wiki for it this weekend but, I think Milwaukee might be the exception OR we are missing clues because they are gone.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

San Francisco notes

crashdome, thanks for helping me sort that out. However you choose to point out an obvious flaw, it's appreciated as long as it gets us closer to the goal in the name of progress. Did you have any other comments or items of concern?

Some questions that have been raised on the points in my theory so far,

The holes on the golf course might not be the same today as they were in the 80's. I believe I found some archived pamphlets/maps that indicated that the 15th hole area is the same. The hole itself might have been moved around in that green however.

The bench might not have been there in the 80's. I've been unable to verify.

The Lincoln Memorial Highway Terminus marker may not have been there back then. I know it was in place in 1912 and that its replacement was located in it's new spot in the 90's. I don't know if it was knocked down or vandalized before then, but I'm willing to assume it was intact for the greater part of the century.

There is no line of sight on Alcatraz. I think it's just a matter of general direction and there's no need to have an exact bead on Alcatraz when there's other clues to help pinpoint.

The trees aren't old enough to have been there. The eucalyptus trees may be more recent, but the cypress are definately old enough. There's a stump of nearly the same diameter just near there and someone can count rings to confirm.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If I lived in one of these cities, I would put a big ad in the local paper soliciting family pictures (or old maps/guidebooks/schematics) of the most likely locations. There are probably 10x the pics out there, just not scanned in and on the internet.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

crashdome posted:

...the cask I'm trying to find (Milwaukee) has crap as far as images go. We have a woman posed like Solomon Juneau (as seen on his plaque, on his statue), a City Hall, and practically nothing else concrete...

I liked blurradial's "wonderstone" idea in Juneau Park, but no-one has followed that up. I know it's a long shot, but I still think Juneau has the most promising image match for Milwaukee.

blurradial posted:

In that park, looking west on Wells Street, you can see City Hall and the Pabst Theatre.
In the park, nobody has yet addressed the rhyolite rock...I mean "wonderstone" near the southern end. It has been there forever, once a focal point but now lost in a natural garden on the slope. There use to be a tree there:

wonder-tree by Blur Radial, on Flickr

You'll see a letter from the country
Of wonderstone's hearth
On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits.

Maybe "it" could conceivably be this "wonderstone"...Rhyolite definitely seems to have an association with "Wonderstone", and its presence in Juneau seems quite a coincidence to me.

http://worlddiscoverybox.gostorego.com/rhyolite-volcanic-wonderstone.html

Here's a reminder of the similarities with the park's statue.

...hand position, and texture...

BJG fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 6, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Ben, I really like that side by side of the texture. Texture seems like it would be one of the hardest things for JJP to get right without some back and forth with Preiss. I would then expect it to have a more particular reason. Already we have the gesture of Juneau, shouldn't that be enough? I think the most obvious of reasons we gravitate to an image match is for it's use as a proximity clue to the casque, especially if it's a unique clue. I like how you're instincts bring attention to the "wonderstone" nearby.

We haven't had a whole lot of people weigh in one way or another about Milwaukee verse. Lots of new ideas have been dropped (aside from mine) that are actually really good. I've liked the Pabst Theater as a land mark and the overall central point of City Hall. I think it's time we abandon the Lake Park theory. Would anyone like to discuss this further? I don't want to sound too full of myself as a devils advocate.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 7, 2013

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Alright, I've got a couple photographers who are excited to take pics of whatever we want in Milwaukee downtown. They go into town about every two weeks so don't get too excited.

But what should we tell them to photograph?

Obviously the area around that "wunderstone" in Juneau needs more photos. But before I do that I have a couple of questions:

- The engraving of the founder that's an EXACT match of the position of the juggler in the painting... where is that? Can I get a full picture of what that's on? So far, people have just shown a long shot of the founder's statue, then cut to a close up of that engraving which is something completely different.

- Where in his explorations does lemontiger actually pass/enter Juneau park? They seem to be following directions meticulously (albeit kind of crazily), but then they just start talking about the park seemingly at random: http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/milwaukee.pdf.

- Bridges. How many bridges are in Juneau park? The verse clearly mentions a bridge, that's right before it starts giving really specific directions like 100 paces. I might ask my photographers for bridges too

- That shape under the right cuff, and the design in the fold of the road on the left... have we spotted anything matching these. It's such a weird shape and that design is obviously intentional, makes me think it might be the final landmark at which the casque is buried.

Edit: The proud tall fifth refers to a tree, as we have surmised previously: There are four references to trees preceding it, and what else could a proud tall fifth be (besides what Preiss drank before writing the verse). So if there was a tree next to the rhyolite wonderstone, I bet that's where it was buried. The only two problems I have are the word "hearth," why does he refer to that? Also he doesn't actually seem to reference the wonderstone as a location, but as a mark on the tree (a letter from the country of wonderstone's hearth)... wtf could that be?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 7, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Cask 8 Houston

I think this verse is dripping with clever. Preiss intended to make it "easy" on some level, so we can count on at least one succinct perspective. How we treat each line, and each word within is entirely our choice. The first line, "fortress north" is just two freaking words and yet we've all been less than 100% confident in its purpose. It's all a matter of convention. Even without getting into archaic word meanings, it's clear that the line could be pointing out there is either something to the north or from the north. There is no way to be sure and so the presence of ambiguity MUST be included in our investigation.

Here's my update on my latest considerations on how to treat the verse with the following visual details and loose interpretations kept in mind: a bright star = point navigation, three figures facing the same direction (camel = hump/back, rhino = hide/horn, genie = wish/service), and a tilted stone = incredibly close to those piers on the Miller Outdoor Theater.

Fortress north = something we can't travel directly through, something which requires going around

Cold as glass = "window", something which is open and can be seen through

Friendship south = steward = friend + ship, providing service to those in need

Take your task = "sieze", or "participate"

To the number = that which "numbs", something which is cold or frozen (note: numb-er or numb-est are adjectives of the word numb)

Nine eight two = the retired 982 steam locomotive which may be simply a point of reference but also may have many other significances: steam = heated water or pressure, industrialization and growth, the head or top or force which motivates a train of cars or carrying of loads, etc. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...but then there is context.

Through the wood = in the direction of wood ("Woodward" is the name on the Atropos sculpture plaque)

No lion fears = apex (subtract 'predator' from apex predator)

In the sky the water veers = rain, changing into a slant as when falling on a sloped rooftop

Small of scale = proportional or thin and overlapping (like the hide of some creatures) or a relatively small climb
Step across = a literal step (a single step stone), or an active stepping over something
Perspective should not be lost = straight lines maintain perspective
In the center of four alike = Atropos Key's diamond faceway has four equal sides
Small, split, = "separate", "spare", "skinny", "ribs"
Three winged and slight = "together in a group"

What we take to be
Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night = From Melville's Pierre: or, the Ambiguities.

Looking back from treasure ground
There's the spout! = "deluge" or "precipitation"

A whistle sounds. = "hail" (to call from a distance, also the stones from frozen rain)

---
(NOTE: I don't think this casque is recoverable, based on one or two major landscaping events. I wonder to what extent the hill has been scraped, built up and reseeded. During restororation, was the Atropos statue been adjusted at all in it's position or height? If by some miracle it's still there, the right way to secure this casque is to plan accordingly and be absolutely sure of everything before you piss anyone off by messing up the turf.)

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 8, 2013

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just did some digging and Octavia does mean "The Eighth" as in the eighth child born. That makes sense I thought it odd that none of the definitions I found involved the number 8.

Also I found that sculpture of Juneau which matches the juggler. It was probably already posted, sorry, but it appears to be from the base of the statue of Juneau.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQvDH1AEBilt8fmu9j2hXa59mEXtD1DudoF4zD0p0xnXqgICsL

Hass anyone talked to these folks? They do archaeological digs in Juneau park
http://distantmirror.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/rediscovering-the-lost-neighborhood-of-juneautown/

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 7, 2013

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

Alright, I've got a couple photographers who are excited to take pics of whatever we want in Milwaukee downtown. They go into town about every two weeks so don't get too excited.

But what should we tell them to photograph?

Everything

Drunk Nerds posted:

Obviously the area around that "wunderstone" in Juneau needs more photos. But before I do that I have a couple of questions:

- The engraving of the founder that's an EXACT match of the position of the juggler in the painting... where is that? Can I get a full picture of what that's on? So far, people have just shown a long shot of the founder's statue, then cut to a close up of that engraving which is something completely different.

It's on the southern side of the statue.

Drunk Nerds posted:

- Where in his explorations does lemontiger actually pass/enter Juneau park? They seem to be following directions meticulously (albeit kind of crazily), but then they just start talking about the park seemingly at random: http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/milwaukee.pdf.

Not specified. You can tell because it's the part where he's confused what the "three staying west" means. Basically to get to Juneau from lake Park, you have to travel quite a bit south although it is all bike trail. He could pass three intersections of trail, pass three trees, statues, etc.. it doesn't matter if you stay on the west side which is parallel to Lincoln Mem Drive and then come up by the war memorial (by the Wonderstone).

Drunk Nerds posted:

- Bridges. How many bridges are in Juneau park? The verse clearly mentions a bridge, that's right before it starts giving really specific directions like 100 paces. I might ask my photographers for bridges too

There are no bridges in Juneau Park. There is, however, a bunch of them in the surrounding park areas (Juneau Park is connected to other parks). Lake Park on the north end has two large bridges that go over smaller park trails (rock and soil - not concrete) and it is a good fit for the verses even including the paces part. It seems silly though, because you come out on Lincoln Memorial Drive which is the "step on copper" you started at if you follow the theory. So it took you UP.. then DOWN.. and right back to the street you started on. And then.. to get to Juneau you have to travel about a mile south, then going back up a hill somewhere. If you look on Google maps, Lincoln Memorial Drive is actually the base of a hill and follows the contour of it. If you go below the bridge at the lighthouse, you are just walking from the upper part back down to Lincoln Memorial. Now, maybe he just wanted us to stay on foot trails and not the street??

Drunk Nerds posted:

- That shape under the right cuff, and the design in the fold of the road on the left... have we spotted anything matching these. It's such a weird shape and that design is obviously intentional, makes me think it might be the final landmark at which the casque is buried.

I've looked everywhere. If it's a tree, good luck finding an exact match now.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Edit: The proud tall fifth refers to a tree, as we have surmised previously: There are four references to trees preceding it, and what else could a proud tall fifth be (besides what Preiss drank before writing the verse). So if there was a tree next to the rhyolite wonderstone, I bet that's where it was buried. The only two problems I have are the word "hearth," why does he refer to that? Also he doesn't actually seem to reference the wonderstone as a location, but as a mark on the tree (a letter from the country of wonderstone's hearth)... wtf could that be?

There is a statue of Leif Erickson north of Juneau that has Rune lettering on it but, it doesn't fit the verses. You'd have to travel north again.

The wonderstone pointed out by Blur Radial is a nice spot to dig. There is a road that goes to the War Memorial/Art Museum and it crosses Lincoln Memorial Drive, or rather, goes above it. The Wonderstone is on a hill that is on the northern side of that road/bridge. There is also a flag there which has some images on it. Unfortunately, the flag cannot be the final spot as it's entirely on concrete.

See this image:

Edit: I've also tried to dig up what "fifth" could mean in relation to objects. I tried fifth Mayor (George H Wlaker - no statue exists that I found), Fifth child (Leif was third), Fifth Statue, etc.. and couldn't find a match based on 1980's info. Doesn't mean I have accurate info though. If it's a tree, we need to find "the letter" first.

Edit 2: I get the feeling "step on nature, cast in copper" or the texture in the image is the brown and dying pine needles of a park floor that happens right about now (October when this was supposedly done?). I've been waiting for this so I can travel around and check the ground for any large pine needle concentrations. Problem is that you can find that texture of pine needles in almost any park in Milwaukee. If we start on Locust street and head East to Lake Park, we could fit the move past the light house and down the bridge to LMD. Travel south staying west will take us to the stone. Trees have changed in that area though. It would be a big "guess" to dig near the stone.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 8, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I'm curious if the line where the cowl meets the woman juggler's hair could be the outline of the wonderstone.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I'll be in that area tomorrow. I will take better pics of it.

Also discovered that in Marquette County, there is an outcropping of rhyolite with petroglyphs discovered on them. I am trying to find a history of this stone in Milwaukee and finding ... nothing. I was curious if it came from there. I'm curious how Blur Radial heard about this stone because no one I talk to has ever even known it was there.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Lands/naturalareas/index.asp?SNA=223

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

crashdome posted:

Everything

It's on the southern side of the statue.

Not specified. You can tell because it's the part where he's confused what the "three staying west" means. Basically to get to Juneau from lake Park, you have to travel quite a bit south although it is all bike trail. He could pass three intersections of trail, pass three trees, statues, etc.. it doesn't matter if you stay on the west side which is parallel to Lincoln Mem Drive and then come up by the war memorial (by the Wonderstone).

There are no bridges in Juneau Park. There is, however, a bunch of them in the surrounding park areas (Juneau Park is connected to other parks). Lake Park on the north end has two large bridges that go over smaller park trails (rock and soil - not concrete) and it is a good fit for the verses even including the paces part. It seems silly though, because you come out on Lincoln Memorial Drive which is the "step on copper" you started at if you follow the theory. So it took you UP.. then DOWN.. and right back to the street you started on. And then.. to get to Juneau you have to travel about a mile south, then going back up a hill somewhere. If you look on Google maps, Lincoln Memorial Drive is actually the base of a hill and follows the contour of it. If you go below the bridge at the lighthouse, you are just walking from the upper part back down to Lincoln Memorial. Now, maybe he just wanted us to stay on foot trails and not the street??

I've looked everywhere. If it's a tree, good luck finding an exact match now.

There is a statue of Leif Erickson north of Juneau that has Rune lettering on it but, it doesn't fit the verses. You'd have to travel north again.

The wonderstone pointed out by Blur Radial is a nice spot to dig. There is a road that goes to the War Memorial/Art Museum and it crosses Lincoln Memorial Drive, or rather, goes above it. The Wonderstone is on a hill that is on the northern side of that road/bridge. There is also a flag there which has some images on it. Unfortunately, the flag cannot be the final spot as it's entirely on concrete.

See this image:

Edit: I've also tried to dig up what "fifth" could mean in relation to objects. I tried fifth Mayor (George H Wlaker - no statue exists that I found), Fifth child (Leif was third), Fifth Statue, etc.. and couldn't find a match based on 1980's info. Doesn't mean I have accurate info though. If it's a tree, we need to find "the letter" first.

Edit 2: I get the feeling "step on nature, cast in copper" or the texture in the image is the brown and dying pine needles of a park floor that happens right about now (October when this was supposedly done?). I've been waiting for this so I can travel around and check the ground for any large pine needle concentrations. Problem is that you can find that texture of pine needles in almost any park in Milwaukee. If we start on Locust street and head East to Lake Park, we could fit the move past the light house and down the bridge to LMD. Travel south staying west will take us to the stone. Trees have changed in that area though. It would be a big "guess" to dig near the stone.

Dude or madam, you're awesome. I hope you keep following this thread because I greatly enjoyed your feedback.

Smurf, it's hard to tell just from the images what's what. I'll definitely ask my mke people to take a look and get an exact shape of that rock

blurradial
Jun 17, 2013
Hey all. So, I have an article out today for a local Milwaukee publication (I'm a journalist) that doesn't give away the clues but gives the basics of the story and the local angle.
http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2013/10/07/milwaukees-secret-treasure/

**An update to some of the things being tossed out lately:
My favorite unnamed boulder (I started calling it 'The Rock of Milwaukee') is not a rhyolite stone. I consulted with university geologists who say "The rock is most likely a granite pegmatite. Pegmatite is just a textural term that means the granite has very large grain size (minerals are large). Granite is an igneous rock that is cooled from molten magma below the earth's surface. The big pink minerals that you see in the rock are potassium feldspar. The equivalent rock in composition, if extruded from a volcano, would be a rhyolite. This one isn't a rhyolite because the grain size is way too large (the difference between an igneous rock cooling below and above ground)."

So there we go. I still like Juneau Park as a dig site, because there is remnants of a many shooted trees (with trunk wrinkles). Of course, there is one still living by the flagpole. There's also one near the Erikson statue that looks like the pattern in the juggler robe. Just like the ones in Red Arrow Park. They cleared away all the trees near Juneau statue. Yeah.

flagpole-view by Blur Radial, on Flickr

juneau-location by Blur Radial, on Flickr

back-leif by Blur Radial, on Flickr

blurradial
Jun 17, 2013
p.s. there is dirt at the southern end of the flagpole, about five feet before reaching the sidewalk/bridge which was reconstructed in 1981-1983 (so preiss could have posed as a construction worker).

Also, anyone digging at Erikson's southern foot will have to move 20 feet west. The statue was moved away from the cliff in the late 1990s because of cliff erosion worries.

Also, anyone planning to dig at Juneau will have to hurry--a "friends of Juneau Park" group (read: rich condo tower dwellers who moved lakeside just a few years ago) want to re-do the layout...meaning more concrete everywhere.

Also, see: Neutrino for his observation about Red Arrow Park.
Also, consider Pere Marquette Park as a possible site.
Um, I have no faith in the Kosciuszko Park theory. But there's that.

Yeah, its a clusterfuck.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Wow Bluradial, huge pieces that could be to the puzzle.
Well done on that article, quite informative!

I kind of feel that we've eliminated so much, we're back at square one. That's okay, though.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 8, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Milwaukee discussion.

I'm getting tired of over-interpreting things. When things dead-end, people need to justify the shift from their interpretation to a new idea rather than be content to imagine some change to the landmarks or area has rendered the hunt indeterminate. Not long ago I gravitated towards the much accepted Lake Park theory. I could never stay in it's bounds, however, and found ways to hop on the Lincoln Memorial Dr. or step on nature (Oak Leaf Trail) to some (at a distance) point closer to the city center where some of the more acceptable clues reside, such as the Juneau monument or City Hall's spires. I think Ziedler Square or Cathedral Square were some of my inital hopefuls and then things got really wacky when I struggled with the harpsichord line and silently playing. At one point I thought it was a metaphor for braile and the Center for the Deaf-Blind as if the harpsichord was the equivalent of a Perkins Brailer.

Point is, here's lots more possibilities that will dead-end when we water down our focus with the presumption that this is a breadcrumb trail. If you use too much of the verse to justify several points along a journey then you have very little left to describe the final dig spot. It's possible the final spot is just a matter of matching up something in the image and using common sense, but I'm more inclined to believe there's a very narrow focus on a final area and points of interest directly influencing the conclusion on where to dig based on the bulk of the verse.

I let go of the Kosciuszko idea completely in order to focus on some possibilities related to the words "at a distance...time/space" and the possibility that an actual arc drawing compass could be a simple tool used with a map to yield a league (unit based on 3 miles distance traveled in one hour of walking). The circular or radial idea depends entirely on where the decision to place a point of origin. I referenced the city hall image clue as a good choice and then inspected the options for where an arc may be drawn out at 3 miles distance. Not far away, at the Plankinton Arcade, the circular stairs of 4x 23 (sum to 92 steps) seemed to offer a better basis for originating the arc. It makes sense from a linear approach that the setup of this compass method involve the early to middle lines of verse, leaving the latter lines for pinpointing or describing the final details. I think of the compass on a map as a rough step. The Kosciuszko Park idea comes into play only at that point, where it fits the refinements better than all the other options, like Mitchell Park or Lake Park. Its fascinating how every single line of verse can be resolved in a practical or literal way. I cant say Im absolutely certain about all of it, but some lines just play too nicely with the whole process. Kosciouszko wrote specifically for harpsichord. The Reds were the name of the Kosciuszko baseball league. The Polish leader handles the wonderstone idea in terms of rock tumbling, becoming the polished stone baubles which best gain attention as stones of wonderment.

Each step leads to the next once you start with the right kind of compass, a city map, and happen to discover the mall on Grand ave near the city center. The first 15 or 16 lines of verse deal with getting set at the Plankington Arcade and using the compass that takes you to a point 100 paces northwest of the park and exactly one followed by three birch trees. All that's left in the remaining 5 lines of verse is to identify the "polished" hero, his left foot (which points south), and a bench in which to view the wrinkles cast in his boot which look amazingly similar to the pattern sketched in the inside of the juggler's cape.

I'm guessing the latest landscaping may pose a risk to the Kosciuszko site. The statue recently was returned after undergoing restoration. I don't know the status of the benches or the grounds. Lots of recent bursts of activity at this site all of a sudden. http://www.rkmmilwaukee.org/

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 8, 2013

FellowAmerican
Oct 2, 2007
I'm too busy philosophizing to get up
I just got laid off, and am probably moving back to Houston, my hometown.

I have been following this thread on and off. Now I know what I must do.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I think I nailed the image link to a particular statue in New Orleans. Everything else I'd worked on put me in a position to look at this statue and until now I didn't have any strong visual evidence to think it played a major role in locating the cask.

The hems on his pants (both together) and his coat have a strong match to the hem of the arm sleeve in image 7,

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Urban Smurf posted:

I think I nailed the image link to a particular statue in New Orleans. Everything else I'd worked on put me in a position to look at this statue and until now I didn't have any strong visual evidence to think it played a major role in locating the cask.

The hems on his pants (both together) and his coat have a strong match to the hem of the arm sleeve in image 7,

What

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

That's it. This thread has died. You finally killed it.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Urban Smurf posted:

Pack it up, NOLA goons. We found it.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Don't feed him.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Milwaukee

Posted some rock images:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97715723@N04/10250018834/

Full library, latest at the bottom:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97715723@N04/sets/72157634206561116/

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Cask 9 Verse 10, In the shadow of the checkered giant...

What if the flower in image 9 is simulating a clock? Might it only be a "7" and an "o"? 7 o'clock?

I've been set on the idea that the flower is a poppy disguising the cross section of a tree (the Lumberman's Arch in Stanley Park). In other words it's a piece of wood. Since this is the Dutch image, I recall those classic wooden shoes, "clogs" right?

Maybe it's a funny kind of rebus: 7 o clog. Using this with verse 10 it supplies us with the distance to walk 2x 7, or 14 steps.

Working with what I have, which isn't much, or maybe it's just enough, here's a perspective from google streetview (upper right) looking at the stone bleachers in the background beneath the shelter over the giant checkerboards, a postcard (image mirrored, lower right), and an old pic of the Lumberman's Arch (late 60's, rotated 90 degrees, lower left),

Notice how the pick in the tree in the background may match that of the one in the postcard where the view is pointing away from the shelter.

Bonus observation: the checker pieces are literally made from clogged (resin filled) wooden pipes, cut into cross sections. Clogged wood may be associated with wood clogs (the Dutch shoes).

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
The thing that bugs me most about the Milwaukee puzzle is that we have several locations that fit parts of the verse but nothing in the picture, and one location that fits the picture but doesn't fit the clues at all. (Juneau)

View the three stories of Mitchell

-the starting point, not very helpful considering the two found locations were a ways away from their verse's starting spot.

As you walk the beating of the world

-garbage

At a distance in time
From three who lived there

-no real good matches with any historical Milwaukee figures, but I'm guessing street names since that's what he fell back on more than anything.

At a distance in space
From woman, with harpsichord

-Nothing we've found gets near the point where I think it's a match, just some really loose associations.

Silently playing

-so probably a statue/relief/painting

Step on nature
Cast in copper

Ascend the 92 steps
After climbing the grand 200

-Matches with Plankinton Arcade/Grand Ave. Mall extremely well

Pass the compass and reach
The foot of the culvert
Below the bridge

-No good matches for the compass, and the culvert/bridge thing I think is the most critical piece that we're whiffing on. That would at least give us proximity to the final spot with the following verses.

Walk 100 paces
Southeast over rock and soil
To the first young birch
Pass three, staying west

-These should help narrow down which bridges/culverts don't match the verse.

You'll see a letter from the country
Of wonderstone's hearth
On a proud, tall fifth

-Statue, tree, or something else? The Leif the Discover statue at least has a letter (or letters) from another country (Norway), but it's on sandstone, and we haven't fit it to any of the rest of the verses or the 'proud tall fifth' or anything in the picture. I kind of lean away from trees due to the need of having a letter on it, but I've gone through all of Milwaukee's public statues and the only faint hits are Leif, Soloman and MacArthur (a 5-star general, but statue located in front of police station, unlikely spot, has proximity but no other clues).

And though I railed against the thought of it before, that brick in the parking garage (on figure's neckline) is a really goddamn generic brick that could be anywhere - I've seen it used a lot in construction from the 60's-70's. There's the possibility that the resting place had it near there but that it was knocked down/replaced in the past few decades. And who the hell knows what Preiss meant by 'wonderstone', since nothing we've found matches any of the known associations.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I think your missing some good associations we've found to several verse. Each verse, I can find at least two well fixed possibilities (and not the Urban Smurf type either). The square brick design on the parking garage is certainly generic to a degree but, not when its all over Pabst theater inside and on the outer doors? Also, 'wonderstones hearth' is referring to a country of origin which is most likely Germany. It has nothing to do with an actual rock per se. Its a description of a 'country'. Milwaukee's history is rooted in Germany and it fits not only the image but also that last verse. I'd argue that we've got a ton of associations beyond just those. Even the compass has two solid possibilities and that has been one of the hardest to pinpoint for me. Problem has been lining them all up. Unfortunately, as you say, we've got bumpkiss to match an end location in the image considering the statue of Juneau and the City Hall are quite the distance from each other. This image is very different from the Ohio image for sure. As a result, I've been spending the past week reexaminating the juggled items just in case.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
Nothing we don't know already, but here's some recent bloggage about Milwaukee.

edit: haha oops!

Bolkovr fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 14, 2013

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bolkovr posted:

Nothing we don't know already, but here's some recent bloggage about Milwaukee.

Nothing we don't know already, in the sense that this exact link was posted on this very page by the author of the item linked.

Thermophonic Joy
Jan 6, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

I'm curious if the line where the cowl meets the woman juggler's hair could be the outline of the wonderstone.

Whoa, I totally see that. Is there a better picture of the wonderstone around?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Cask 12, New York City

I found the real treasure tonight while playing bar trivia. The question more or less was "What building on the New York City skyline can be described as 'an Art Deco masterpiece'?" I confidently answered "Chrysler Building" for high points.

Thank you, Byron Preiss :cheers:

edit:

Here's something to contribute that I floated over at Q4T regarding Cask 9, Montreal:

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 26, 2013

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Are there any theories for the butterfly thing on the Charleston picture?

Extremity
Aug 14, 2004

Hand job.
Happy to help out with anything needed in Florida; new to the thread and saw that the image shows Clearwater (very, very close to me) but the content says St. Aug.; either way, I'm down to take a drive.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Pudgygiant posted:

The wings closely resemble that of the polyphemus moth. I theorize that the moth hints at several possibilities,

Nocturnal
Mother
Attraction to light
Mythological cyclops named Polyphemus was blinded by 'NoMan' (Odysseus).

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Cask 2, Charleston;

Pudgygiant posted:

Do you mean beyond being used to convey the African symbolism in order to match with the litany of the jewels and indicate that this image is the Diamond/Africa image?

I haven't really seen anything that went anywhere beyond that.

The winged fairy in Image 5 was actually part of the Spirit of The Great Lakes sculpture in Grant Park, Chicago, so Press did use that mechanism before. It was suggested that the fairy's arms in Image 2 may match some sculpture in a similar fashion, but nothing concrete has been discovered.

I know some people have tried matching the wings with various coastline, etc.

Edit: I think the important items are the "eyes" of the pendant and the mask, a.k.a the Earthquake bolts that Verse 6 tells you this cask is buried under. ("Beneath the bar that binds"). This cask is buried in the ground against the wall of a building with earthquake bolts that match those in the image. It will be sandy and there will be a nearby palmetto tree (see verse 6).

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

"Beneath the bar that binds," is a tricky line. If everything previous to that line in verse actually gets you clearly to a specific earthquake bolt for consideration, then lets see a fluid rundown on how that works. I agree that it works fine as taken out of context, but getting to that point is without clarification.

I found a wrinklefree contextual fit by calling it a cistern since a bar is a place to drink and binds means "to hold". A cistern that holds drinking water is a solid option especially when it follows all the previous lines of verse bearing on the key words 'romance retold', 'stand and listen to the birds', 'the cool, clear sound of water', and possibly the African tribal link to the subject of "drums". Old lighthouses had keepers, and keepers homes typically had cisterns to store collected water. A nice word theme for "keeper" links lion to lighthouse in that both are known to have keepers with respect to zookeepers and lighouse keepers.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 27, 2013