Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Kithkar posted:

Just wonder traded a level 2 bidoof for a Fennekin. Is this what evil feels like?
Same thing happened with me, except it was a Caterpie instead of a Bidoof. The person who had the Fennekin had "It's over 9000!" as his greeting so I didn't feel bad at all. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dogbutt posted:

Is Goomy is a special attacker or normal because I got a really nice one but it's Adamant.

Its SpA is higher than its Atk, but its stats are high across the board so if you don't plan on using this one competitively it'll do just fine.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Mondlicht posted:

As far as hidden abilities go, is there a random chance a baby will have one when they're hatched? Like if I breed a male Pokemon + ditto, is it still possible for them to have one?

No, the only abilities you can get by breeding with a Ditto are the non-hidden ones. The only way to get a hidden ability via breeding is if you're not using a Ditto and the mother has the hidden ability. Males never pass down hidden abilities (this is why the starters with hidden abilities, such as the Speed Boost Torchic, are always male).

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Is doing Super Training really worth it if I think this mini game, well, sucks a whole lot? If the games don't get much better past the level 3 stuff, I'll probably just stick to the regular ol' grinding, or the lower levels at least. :rolldice:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HalfHazard posted:

Is doing Super Training really worth it if I think this mini game, well, sucks a whole lot? If the games don't get much better past the level 3 stuff, I'll probably just stick to the regular ol' grinding, or the lower levels at least. :rolldice:

Level 3 is the highest till you max out your EVs. Past that you get harder games that give you stones and things.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

HalfHazard posted:

Super Training is slightly faster and more convenient than regular EV training, but like all EV training it's totally unnecessary for regular in-game play. If you just wanna get through the game you'll never have to worry about it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there any way to mess up on super training? I actually really love everything about it but ev training always scared me. I don't want to screw up somehow.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Kithkar posted:

Just wonder traded a level 2 bidoof for a Fennekin. Is this what evil feels like?

You shouldn't feel bad about these things. Male starters are basically impossible to get rid of. Bidoof is actually kind of valuable!

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Is only one dusk stone available in the game? I already beat the elite four and the stone store only has the 3 regular stones

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

horchata posted:

Is only one dusk stone available in the game? I already beat the elite four and the stone store only has the 3 regular stones

You can get infinite numbers of all of the stones by beating the various Secret Super Training minigames. Those are unlocked by taking any pokemon with maxed EVs (if you've used any pokemon throughout the whole game, it's maxed) into Super Training. The dusk stone specifically can get gotten by beating the one with the Aegislash balloon; it's the 6th one in the first set of SST games.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

horchata posted:

do the Aegislash special training stage for dusk stones.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Another question, how do I get further into the Lost Hotel? Some punkers stop me and tell me I'm not hipster enough or whatever.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

horchata posted:

Another question, how do I get further into the Lost Hotel? Some punkers stop me and tell me I'm not hipster enough or whatever.

Learn all the skating moves from the various skaters around not Paris

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Brett824 posted:

Learn all the skating moves from the various skaters around not Paris

Wait? There are moves? I know doing a full circle really fast looked like a planned thing, but I thought it was a bug.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Power-Plant $100 Fresh Water: carving a carpal tunnel to greatness since ten minutes ago. :getin:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there any way to mess up on super training? I actually really love everything about it but ev training always scared me. I don't want to screw up somehow.

Naw, not really. I mean the absolute worst thing that can happen is that you raise stats that your Pokemon doesn't actually end up needing. And even then, one of the punching bags can be used to reset all EVs to 0.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Unbound posted:

Wait? There are moves? I know doing a full circle really fast looked like a planned thing, but I thought it was a bug.

I think the first move you get is literally "move the control pad in the direction you want to go." It makes you dash and is awesome.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Power-Plant $100 Fresh Water: carving a carpal tunnel to greatness since ten minutes ago. :getin:

I love how that guy straight out tells you he's overcharging before you clear out the thugs.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Does anyone have a Ditto that I can borrow for 5 minutes, or would want to trade one for a Fennekin/Chespin/Bulbasaur/Charmander? I've got Fennekin coming out my ears, but I haven't seen a Ditto (or a Froakie, for that matter) and can't set up a GTS trade for one :T

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ursine Asylum posted:

Does anyone have a Ditto that I can borrow for 5 minutes, or would want to trade one for a Fennekin/Chespin/Bulbasaur/Charmander? I've got Fennekin coming out my ears, but I haven't seen a Ditto (or a Froakie, for that matter) and can't set up a GTS trade for one :T

You can set up a trade for any pokemon who's name you can spell. Underneath Z there's an option to type in the name for any pokemon you're looking for.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ursine Asylum posted:

Yes you can. Scroll all the way down the list to "What Pokemon" and boom, enter the name. :v:

e: ^^^ :argh:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Oh drat, nice. :eng101:

Time to go abuse this heavily. I guess that explains why there's so many trades requesting the legendaries already.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ursine Asylum posted:

Oh drat, nice. :eng101:

Time to go abuse this heavily. I guess that explains why there's so many trades requesting the legendaries already.

You can actually filter those out too! And there's also a filter that shows you only requests for things you have on hand.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Forgot to unequip a sharp beak off a Pokemon I got rid of, feeling awfully foolish. How easy are those to get back?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
So, uh, I am playing this Aegislash balloon game. I cleared the stage with more than 2 minutes remaining and all I got was a soda pop. Do I need to get as close to the target time as possible or something? Or are the prizes kinda random?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

You can actually filter those out too! And there's also a filter that shows you only requests for things you have on hand.

Yeah, def using that now. It's gratifying to know that this trading system isn't as archaic as it first appeared to be.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

Forgot to unequip a sharp beak off a Pokemon I got rid of, feeling awfully foolish. How easy are those to get back?

Wild Doduo had a small chance to hold one in previous generations; I imagine that's still true.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

david puddy posted:

So, uh, I am playing this Aegislash balloon game. I cleared the stage with more than 2 minutes remaining and all I got was a soda pop. Do I need to get as close to the target time as possible or something? Or are the prizes kinda random?

The prizes are random, but the more time you have remaining the better your chance of getting a dusk stone. Try for 2:30, I think that's about where I got mine.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

david puddy posted:

It took me 3 tries. I got a soda, some other rock, dusk stone.

Took 10 minutes, if that.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

All right, sweet. thanks guys

e: 2:20, woop, got it

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 14, 2013

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Trying to get an Umbreon despite it being a terrible pokemon and I have a question. There is a day and night cycle in Pokemon XY right? I have yet to see night time.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

JackDarko posted:

Trying to get an Umbreon despite it being a terrible pokemon and I have a question. There is a day and night cycle in Pokemon XY right? I have yet to see night time.

Yeah, I think it's like the other ones where it goes to dusk at 5pm and night at 7 or 8 or something

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
I've seen people mention it before, but how do you reset a poke dude's ev's in this? Something about a punching bag? Do you just get it randomly or what? Just got a timid haunter via wonder trade, soooo uhh....:getin:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

What do the icons on pokedex pages mean? I hit route 6 and fought a trainer with a venipede; The dex says I can get one on this route but it's got this little gold emblem of what looks like a pikachu trying to go super saiyan.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

pandaK posted:

Do any of you have a Mawile with Intimidate? I've bred like three generations of it, and every single one came out with Hyper Cutter. No Everstone either.

Okay so abilities are completely determined by what the father has, or if it's not like species, what the mother has. I need to get my hands on a new Mawile with Intimidate. Does anyone here have one of those that they can breed? I don't really have much in return though...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

pandaK posted:

Okay so abilities are completely determined by what the father has, or if it's not like species, what the mother has. I need to get my hands on a new Mawile with Intimidate. Does anyone here have one of those that they can breed? I don't really have much in return though...

That's strange. In previous generations, non-hidden abilities are just 50/50 regardless of parents.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
Is there any downside to keeping the EXP Share turned on? It feels like I'm cheating, all of my 'Mons are leveling at the same rate and it's fantastic but I know there's got to be a downside.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

Is there any downside to keeping the EXP Share turned on? It feels like I'm cheating, all of my 'Mons are leveling at the same rate and it's fantastic but I know there's got to be a downside.

It makes the game a lot easier? And spreads around EVs you might not want I guess.

Honestly, it basically serves the same function as the Easy Key from White 2.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zurai posted:

That's strange. In previous generations, non-hidden abilities are just 50/50 regardless of parents.

Yeah apparently they changed that this time around, and I have the circumstantial evidence to back up that claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone else notice the colors of pokemon being much more grey / less saturated than in videos and screenshots? It seems like they are all very light colored, and I wonder if that's just me?

• Locked thread