Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
You unlock a 2nd monster during a quest in the 2nd area or you can buy one for 10,000 gold from the masked merchant who shows up in town occasionally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Speaking of Monster Adventures by Foursaken Media, the goon devs who routinely put out some of the best games on the app store, let's remember Bug Heroes! I love the hell out of this game.

http://appshopper.com/games/bug-heroes

It's free now, with IAP that adds an alternate to every character. Totally unnecessary, since there are so damned many characters already, but they do add some nice changes from the bugs they're modifications of.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Pocket Gamer preview of Tiny Death Star: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Star+Wars%3A+Tiny+Death+Star/news.asp?c=54457

It's basically a straight re-skin of Tiny Tower, and Nimblebit didn't work on it directly. Goons that were hoping for this to be an actual game a couple of pages ago can commence harassing the Nimblebros, who won't be able to hear you over the sounds of their money-counting machines and coked-up strippers.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Nimblebutt when is your coked up stripper app coming out

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
You know what, I have to stand up and salute the Nimblebros for making a gazillion dollars from such a wretchedly awful non-game. I mean that sincerely, and without any snark. It's a shelf-stacking simulator, where you press buttons to stack shelves then wait X minutes/hours until you can press the button again. And yet, it's going to keep you in hookers and blow for the rest of your lives. You've achieved more with 2 frames of animation than the rest of us will ever accomplish in our entire lives. That's as praiseworthy as it is utterly horrifying.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

nrr posted:

Nimblebutt when is your coked up stripper app coming out
Once they find an suitably alliterative name for it.

I suggest "Stumpy Strippers"

Gurz
Sep 9, 2000
THE 12" DILDO IN MY ASS IS ONLY A PLACEHOLDER FOR PULSATING HOT COCKS

Stormfang1502 posted:

You unlock a 2nd monster during a quest in the 2nd area or you can buy one for 10,000 gold from the masked merchant who shows up in town occasionally

Yeah, I got the 2nd monster in the cliffs, but I'm not sure what to do with him? Level up a specialized build?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Well I just fired up that Marvel Puzzle Quest, because I like Puzzle Quest and I like superheroes. Lost 4 hours of my life to it without realising. Don't regret a second. Got some roughness to it, I kind of wish it was more polished and a retail product, but it's compelling enough as it is. Bit confusing at first, considering how it unlocks everything, but yeah this is going to see quite some screen time on my iPad.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Gurz posted:

Yeah, I got the 2nd monster in the cliffs, but I'm not sure what to do with him? Level up a specialized build?

Exactly. Use your first monster to farm essences and then specialize the 2nd monsters stats with the essences you farm. Stat growth on level up is affected by the essences your monster is equipped with so applying some rare essences on a lvl 1 monster will drastically increase growth.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Don't hate the player, hate the non-game.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Stormfang1502 posted:

Exactly. Use your first monster to farm essences and then specialize the 2nd monsters stats with the essences you farm. Stat growth on level up is affected by the essences your monster is equipped with so applying some rare essences on a lvl 1 monster will drastically increase growth.

Yeah, this seems like a solid strategy to me.

It also seems important to get 4 essences equipped on your first guy ASAP. Preferably ones with reasonable growth, since those extra stats on level up are delicious.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

ImsaKidd posted:

Yeah, this seems like a solid strategy to me.

It also seems important to get 4 essences equipped on your first guy ASAP. Preferably ones with reasonable growth, since those extra stats on level up are delicious.

Any tips on farming essence drops or do you just get a pile of cash and buy all the rares in town?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I was kind of envisioning Tiny Death Star to have some horizontal building options to be more sphere shaped.

I'm sure I'll become hooked on it though, especially, if the movie puns/music are enough to draw me in. The only iffy thing for me is if Disney implemented their own stingy IAP philosophy instead of NB's more generous one.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

marshmonkey posted:

Don't hate the player, hate the non-game.

What does Tiny Death Star and the government shutdown have in common?

They're both not a game! :v:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Monster Adventuretalk

I like the idea of the game so far, but the net/ability system kind of totally loving blows. Since you don't get exp for kills, it seems like all I'm doing is going into an area, sitting there whiffing over and over with the net, waiting for it to slowly recharge, then moving into the next area once I've caught every enemy, where the whole cycle begins anew.

You've gotta do this, right? How else are you to get new abilities? poo poo, the next red blob ability is 75 catches, which I patently loving ridiculous if things keep going at this rate.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

Well I just fired up that Marvel Puzzle Quest, because I like Puzzle Quest and I like superheroes. Lost 4 hours of my life to it without realising. Don't regret a second. Got some roughness to it, I kind of wish it was more polished and a retail product, but it's compelling enough as it is. Bit confusing at first, considering how it unlocks everything, but yeah this is going to see quite some screen time on my iPad.

Join us at the thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574405&pagenumber=4&perpage=40

Also best tip I got is when you get a 2 star hero, raise their skills to 5 with only ISO. After that use comic books. That extra 16 levels will help you avoid iap.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

Bummey posted:

Monster Adventuretalk

I like the idea of the game so far, but the net/ability system kind of totally loving blows. Since you don't get exp for kills, it seems like all I'm doing is going into an area, sitting there whiffing over and over with the net, waiting for it to slowly recharge, then moving into the next area once I've caught every enemy, where the whole cycle begins anew.

You've gotta do this, right? How else are you to get new abilities? poo poo, the next red blob ability is 75 catches, which I patently loving ridiculous if things keep going at this rate.

That ability is a pain to grind out, but it's really good and most abilities only require 5 to 30 catches which isn't too bad. Plus you can buy better nets from the fruit vendor in town.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Bummey posted:

Monster Adventuretalk
Since you don't get exp for kills

There is a skill that lets you earn XP per kill. I average 1100xp for clearing levels 1 and 2 of the meadows or a level in about 8 minutes of work.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Not really sure where people are getting the idea Marvel Puzzle Quest is an IAP-fest. If anything it's a little too hard to spend money on.

Characters are obtained by collecting comic book covers, and past the first couple levels you need another copy every time you want to level up your hero. Buying an IAP cover is pointless cause you'd have to buy 40+ more copies to max the character out. Unless you're some sort of ridiculous whale buying hundreds of dollars worth of IAP it's kind of pointless. No incentive to drop $5 here and there like in something like PAD.

Maybe they'll change the game down the road, but right now sticking to the ingame drops seems to be the only viable option.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Marvel Puzzle quest is killing me on the storage. You only can only expand to 7 slots before it makes you start paying with the premium currency.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Is

Gegil posted:

There is a skill that lets you earn XP per kill. I average 1100xp for clearing levels 1 and 2 of the meadows or a level in about 8 minutes of work.

Is there any way to return to level 2 without having to go through 1? Are there checkpoints every 5 levels, or something?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DrManiac posted:

Marvel Puzzle quest is killing me on the storage. You only can only expand to 7 slots before it makes you start paying with the premium currency.

Use your free premium currency to bump it up to 10+ instead of wasting it on a cover you'll never be able to level up. Doing missions get you 50 coins here and there, upgrading inventory slots only cost 50 each so you could pretty easily get your inventory to 20+ slots for free if you needed. (I'm finding ten slots plenty)

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

Bummey posted:

Is there any way to return to level 2 without having to go through 1? Are there checkpoints every 5 levels, or something?

No, everytime you go out of town you start at level 1 but you can go directly to the portal area to go to the next level and skip all the other level 1 rooms

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BGrifter posted:

Use your free premium currency to bump it up to 10+ instead of wasting it on a cover you'll never be able to level up. Doing missions get you 50 coins here and there, upgrading inventory slots only cost 50 each so you could pretty easily get your inventory to 20+ slots for free if you needed. (I'm finding ten slots plenty)
That's good, because after 10 it increases to 100 coins a slot :)

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Gegil posted:

What skill is this?

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

ImsaKidd posted:

What skill is this?

It's called "experiencer" and you can get it by catching 10 of the spiky things in the cliffs area

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
iPad Mini owners: How does XCOM play on it? I hear bad things related to crashes, but I want to get it while it's 10 bucks.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
If it's anything like my experience of it on iPad 2 it's a disaster. Furthest I've got so far is a crash at the end of the tutorial mission. Other than that it won't go past the title screen. Seriously pissed off.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

unpurposed posted:

iPad Mini owners: How does XCOM play on it? I hear bad things related to crashes, but I want to get it while it's 10 bucks.

Really badly, the tutorial is a complete no go and you'll struggle to last around 10mins of normal playtime before it crashes. It is a brilliant game and the short bursts when it does work are brilliant tho. I'd buy it and join the rest of us in hoping that it'll get sorted soon.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I never had trouble with xcom on the mini but I didn't get that far.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Weavered posted:

Really badly, the tutorial is a complete no go and you'll struggle to last around 10mins of normal playtime before it crashes. It is a brilliant game and the short bursts when it does work are brilliant tho. I'd buy it and join the rest of us in hoping that it'll get sorted soon.

Was working fine for me on an iPad 2; main caveat so far is that you can't choose your armor color so it's harder to tell my guys apart, but it's loads easier to control than on an iPhone.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On an ipad 3 its okay. Chews through batteries fast though.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

unpurposed posted:

Both I and my brother have been having crash problems on our minis. I found its mostly avoidable as long as you take your time and don't hammer on the buttons as soon as they pop up, but yeah, still not great :(

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

SynthOrange posted:

On an ipad 3 its okay. Chews through batteries fast though.

I haven't had any issues with my new iPad, but the battery thing is definitely true - even plugged in I wasn't charging at all, or perhaps losing ground battery wise.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Empire gets a rare five out of five from Pocket Tactics: http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-empire/

Game's pretty cool, man. Tiger cavalry. Big gently caress-off roaches trying to eat your cities.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

UncleSmoothie posted:

Empire gets a rare five out of five from Pocket Tactics: http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-empire/

Game's pretty cool, man. Tiger cavalry. Big gently caress-off roaches trying to eat your cities.

Isn't that from the 100 Rogues dev?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Weavered posted:

This post made me laugh, just because I can't think of another domain where "buy a broken product and hope they fix it at some point" is valid advice.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Swordigo and Nameless: The Hackers RPG are currently free, both of which have been mentioned as "good" in this thread at some time I think.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I downloaded swordigo last time it went free, but actually just got around to finishing it. It really is a great game that I sunk some decent time into.

I don't think it has any iap, if there is any it was so useless that I didn't notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

UncleSmoothie posted:

I've reached the point where I'll pretty much buy anything Pocket Tactics gives five stars. They use the rating system well, and I pretty much agree with their scores on most things. Bought the game on the strength of their review and it's legit. It's beautiful, and glossy, and it achieves its stated aims of trying to focus on that first and most interesting part of Civ games. I love that the game just flat out states that you are going to lose, but go out swinging anyway.

The first update is bringing three different playable factions, each with their own leader and bonus, which will add some legs to it. Plus it's putting in a win condition that 200 victory points means you've "won", with the option to keep playing on until eventual crunchy giant insect death befalls your cities.

Love the combat. Surprisingly tactical, all about tweaking your troop positions as they advance forward a set amount each turn while being aware of attack zones. The deck building stuff lets this develop over the course of a game too.

You all should go read that review, and if it sounds even vaguely interesting then throw your money at it. Game's a good 'un.

Optikalusion posted:

Isn't that from the 100 Rogues dev?

That worried me too, but 100 Rogues was at least a good game underneath the 100 bugs. This time the bugs are on screen and trying to eat your dudes who are riding goddamn tigers.

• Locked thread