Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, and the problem is that the overhead per player is high enough already without idiots like him putting bloat in just to be lazy. Justifying it as good coding practice is just absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fruit Chewy posted:

Has anyone here tried out Electrodynamics? It looks interesting so I threw it into a new 1.6.4 pack I've been messing around with. I was hoping to use its alloy tools over TiCon since I've used it quite a few times now. I was also looking at Metallurgy but it seems to have a thoroughly ridiculous amount of new ores and I don't want that much worldgen cluttering up my storage when there's probably only a use for a handful of them.

I can't speak for Electrodynamics but Metallurgy is pretty fun. Most of the common ores it adds have uses outside of Metallurgy; and the rare one are rare enough that you will not find them often enough for it to be annoying (maybe if you rely on Quarries, I dunno). It looks daunting when it says it adds like 50 new ores but they really aren't as obtrusive as they sound. Now; they aren't exactly really useful ether but I personally like having it around for one more thing to collect. Hunting for enough metal to make all the Metallurgy armors and display them on Bibliocraft armor racks is fun :v:

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Yeah, and the problem is that the overhead per player is high enough already without idiots like him putting bloat in just to be lazy. Justifying it as good coding practice is just absurd.

Maybe people are just using it for the fancy tanks but I haven't had a use for Railcraft for months. After chucking it into the bin I found I didn't miss it at all.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

But it is good coding practice for some environments. Developer time is relatively expensive. Hardware is relatively cheap. Within reason, it's cheaper to throw more hardware at a problem rather than spend a lot of developer hours fixing it.

Problem is that is not one of those environments. Minecraft is already so kludgy that piling more crap on is going to have noticeable effects.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

So here's an illustrated walkthrough of how to get started with MJ in Big Dig.

:science:

Brilliant, this'll help a lot. On a barely-related note, I know UE storage will accept any kind of power, but could I use, say, a Redstone Energy Cell to power UE stuff?

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Ego Trip posted:

But it is good coding practice for some environments. Developer time is relatively expensive. Hardware is relatively cheap. Within reason, it's cheaper to throw more hardware at a problem rather than spend a lot of developer hours fixing it.

Problem is that is not one of those environments. Minecraft is already so kludgy that piling more crap on is going to have noticeable effects.

Pretty much this. Minecraft is just an amazingly poorly coded piece of software. I also really find it hilarious to consider dev time as a precious resource with regards to a mod, even though I have almost none of it right now.

I am sorry about the TE delays - it's just been a bit of a nightmare trying to juggle all the work the past few weeks here.

I'm basically at the point where we have only a few minor things left before I set the new team loose on it, and we might just push for TE 3 directly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for sticking with it. Minecraft is a bit pile of poo poo without mods.

Essentially we got the worst implementation of the best form of game. A frustrating vision of what could have been. Truly the darkest of universes.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Regarde Aduck posted:

Thanks for sticking with it. Minecraft is a bit pile of poo poo without mods.

Essentially we got the worst implementation of the best form of game. A frustrating vision of what could have been. Truly the darkest of universes.

Not going to lie, if I knew that I could set up a Kickstarter and pull in a really absurd amount of cash, I'd be more than willing to write a voxel engine and game.

I can't even consider that right now though, since I'd have to be amazingly dumb to drop out of a PhD fellowship when I've finished everything except for the dissertation.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Strange, I can't get the Technic Launcher to actually use the beta build, which is really annoying. Just keeps restarting on the stable build.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

KingLemming posted:

Not going to lie, if I knew that I could set up a Kickstarter and pull in a really absurd amount of cash, I'd be more than willing to write a voxel engine and game.

I can't even consider that right now though, since I'd have to be amazingly dumb to drop out of a PhD fellowship when I've finished everything except for the dissertation.

Something to dream about happening in the future, then.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

KingLemming posted:

Make sure you let us know when you're done so we can buy you a username change to "Dr. KingLemming".

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

KingLemming posted:

You'll have to start that kickstarter as soon as you finish your PhD then. ;)

Thanks for sticking with TE despite your schedule, we're all looking forward to the 1.6 release.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KingLemming posted:

$100 for your kickstarter to replace minecraft.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

$100 for your kickstarter to replace minecraft.

I'll shovel some money this way as well.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lizard Wizard posted:

Brilliant, this'll help a lot. On a barely-related note, I know UE storage will accept any kind of power, but could I use, say, a Redstone Energy Cell to power UE stuff?
The answer is "it depends". Try it out. It depends on version and the mod.

There are some UE machines that only accept power from EE/UE wires. Mekanism machines are good about accepting anything. I don't quite understand how a UE machine can't accept all power given that its entire concept is being a universal api that does everything, but that's how it is. There are also some bugs with UE machines (and especially energy cubes) where they will stop charging from mj power networks like Redstone Energy Conduits and you have to pick them up and place them again for their power to go up. This mostly happens when chunks load/unload, so if you have a chunk loaded base it's a non-issue.

I'd recommend using an energy cube as a buffer between power systems and even as a buffer between UE power makers and machines, because they magically step voltage to appropriate levels.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KingLemming posted:

Given how incredibly well-regarded TE is (it certainly lives near the top of must-have mod lists, really), I suspect a Kickstarter for a game by you would probably do pretty drat well. I know I'd be willing to throw some cash at one.

So, good luck with your PhD, and we'll be waiting for that Kickstarter when you've finished. :)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys realize Minecraft has been released in C++ for about 3 years now right?

http://minetest.net/

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Turtlicious posted:

You guys realize Minecraft has been released in C++ for about 3 years now right?

That doesn't automatically mean "better" though, and it's not really what I'd have in mind. ;) Java isn't automatically horrible; there are just a lot of people that point at it and scream MC has issues because of the language it was written in. It's definitely possible to utilize multiple threads in Java - TE does it in a few places.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Minecraft server performance.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm sorry, what?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Turtlicious posted:

And this is why i dont have much hope in an alternative, better written "Minecraft". Like Wow, i expect MC will sit at the top of its genre until replaced by "Minecraft 2" and no amount of better written code or gameplay will topple that.

Its not to say it cant spawn an alternative choice, but i cant imagine we'd see a similar modding community grow around it.

But, you know, Terraria, Starbound. I'm sure theres plenty of other examples and i really want to be proven wrong in this case as a less lovely minecraft with greater modding flexibility would be wonderful. :3:

VVV Oh. Well that clears up everything.

It cleared up nothing, im still confused

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 14, 2013

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm sorry, what?

I don't even like the show but the robot is called Big O.

( it's a bad comp sci joke - in computer science, big O notation is used to classify algorithms by how they respond (e.g., in their processing time or working space requirements) to changes in input size. )

Diet Lime fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 14, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingLemming posted:

That doesn't automatically mean "better" though, and it's not really what I'd have in mind. ;) Java isn't automatically horrible; there are just a lot of people that point at it and scream MC has issues because of the language it was written in. It's definitely possible to utilize multiple threads in Java - TE does it in a few places.

Well, it's multi core threaded for one, and I've been playing it for a while and it's p. great, they even ported a bunch of mods.

(One of them was IC2 :jerkbag:)

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Isn't there a thread limit of ten in Java, though?

Inner City Leftist
Jun 5, 2011
It would be nice if some of the mod authors, particular API designers adopted some philosophies from C++. Mainly "don't pay for what you don't use". Aka if someone doesn't want to use a feature of your API then they pay no runtime overhead.

It's harder to achieve fully in Java but even the philosophy would help.

A man can dream :(

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

KingLemming posted:

If you'd be willing to design and create a game instead of just a tech demo or proof of concept I'll be all over it and I'm sure insane number of people would join in. We have tons of better-than-Minecraft tech demos as it is.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Could someone running a 1.6.4 (maybe 1.6.2? I dunno about that) server throw this on and see if it dies when boxes are shift-crafted or shift-uncrafted? http://build.technicpack.net/job/Artifice/188/artifact/artifacts/Artifice-1.1.3-188.jar

Edit: as in put things in and take things out, not making the boxes

Syenite fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 15, 2013

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Shukaro posted:

Could someone running a 1.6.4 (maybe 1.6.2? I dunno about that) server throw this on and see if it dies when boxes are shift-crafted or shift-uncrafted? http://build.technicpack.net/job/Artifice/188/artifact/artifacts/Artifice-1.1.3-188.jar

If you still need this tomorrow, I can do it for you. I'm about to nuke my server for a fresh map and mod set anyway.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

KingLemming posted:

Yeah, it's not like Java was designed with concurrent programming in mind or anything.

I'm convinced most complaints about Java's performance are from people picking up residual gripes from back when it was interpreted, when it was truly loving awful. The JIT compiler is lightening fast compared to that. No it's nowhere near C++ generally, but it's not all that bad considering how easy it is to use.

I reckon Minecraft's performance is mostly due to its design, not Java.

Danny Glands posted:

Hah, what?

Short answer, no.

The only limit is hardware, you can use thousands if you want.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 15, 2013

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, it's not like Java was designed with concurrent programming in mind or anything.

I'm convinced most complaints about Java's performance are from people picking up residual gripes from back when it was interpreted, when it was truly loving awful. The JIT compiler is lightening fast compared to that. No it's nowhere near C++ generally, but it's not all that bad considering how easy it is to use.

I reckon Minecraft's performance is mostly due to its design, not Java.

I think that Java suffers from the same stigma as VB. They both used to be poo poo and they've both been used as an intro language for so long that a lot of bad code is out there.
Now, they're both good enough to get you to where diminishing returns kicks in for most
applications.

If it's true that Minecraft was Hello World: The Game, it would be worse had it been written in C++.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Danny Glands posted:

Nope. Java scales really, really well actually. C++ didn't even have a lot of the threaded support until the latest standard (11), and even then it's sort of kludged in.

When it comes down to it, in the average case, Java is actually going to win out, because most people don't know how to code truly elegant C++.

The only real advantage C++ brings to the table is memory usage - Java is actually pretty bad about this.

lordfrikk posted:

If you'd be willing to design and create a game instead of just a tech demo or proof of concept I'll be all over it and I'm sure insane number of people would join in. We have tons of better-than-Minecraft tech demos as it is.

Already having discussions about this with my team. We're considering it, but we'd like it to have a twist. It seems we're all on the same page with how voxels should work, however. ;)

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

Shukaro posted:

I had a crash pressing 'shift' on the main(menu) screen. Had 100 other mods loaded(1.6.4) at the time, but the crash was from Artifice, KeyPress(dont have the exact log right now, can dig it up when i am at home if you need it.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, the problem with every Minecraft clone/killer is that it gets to Creative Mode and then stops. Placing and deleting a bunch of ugly blocks in a 3D environment does not a Minecraft make. Say what you will about Minecraft as a game but at least it is a game. The only thing that's really taken up the same block building formula and succeeded spectacularly was Terraria, and that really forged out to be its own game. There have been literally dozens of abandoned Minecraft wannabes and most of them tried to cram in really awkward shader effects instead of putting in actual gameplay.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

thevortex- posted:

I had a crash pressing 'shift' on the main(menu) screen. Had 100 other mods loaded(1.6.4) at the time, but the crash was from Artifice, KeyPress(dont have the exact log right now, can dig it up when i am at home if you need it.)

No need to dig that up, I'm rewriting a lot of old code to get rid of a bunch of weird stuff and make it possible to do new things.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, are there any 1.6.x mod packs?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

KingLemming posted:

Already having discussions about this with my team. We're considering it, but we'd like it to have a twist. It seems we're all on the same page with how voxels should work, however. ;)

I hate Kickstarter in general, but I would contribute to this because :awesome:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

KingLemming posted:

Oh god stop getting me excited, if this happens I know the wait will be terrible :(

Turtlicious posted:

I'm not sure about current ones, but I'll be making one the moment TE is updated. Might run a server too, but I'm not sure about that yet.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 15, 2013

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Mine is almost updated, like taffer i am waiting on TE also xD but so far over 101 mods and most appears stable :D

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Is there anywhere that the IC2 Experimental version for 1.6.2 is documented? All I can find is stuff for 1.5.x and enough recipes and mechanics have changed that it's almost no help whatsoever. Like, I want to make sure increasing my array of solar panels is worth it, or if there's better ways to power a tiny-rear end starter ME network and a handful of machines.

My network: one storage bus going to a DSU for cobble, a controller, access terminal, and a disk drive with a single 4k disk in it right now, but I'll need to add more soon.

The only reason I even have that much of a network, though, is because I decided I'd take all the uranium I'd mined and just trade it 1-for-1 with certus ore blocks, since I haven't found a single certus ore in digging a hole 12x11x64 (all the way to bedrock) despite using Custom Ore Generation to increase the frequency and size of all ore clusters.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It's times like when I'm rewriting my connected texture code that I really wish pistons could just push tile entities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

The Luddite 4 modpack will be coming out in the next 24hrs. It's a magic-only modpack centered on Thaumcraft and Ars Magica.

• Locked thread