Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

In the sense that its government exists to serve its own people and not the whole world yes it is just like Iran's and Venezuela's governments even if it goes about its job in a vastly different way.

Maybe I'm just a cosmopolitan pseud but I think national governments should "serve their own people" in the sense the accounting branch of a company should "serve its own department". Yes, it's true to an extent, but keeping in mind the impact on the world stage and what is good for humanity at large isn't entirely irrelevant. The difficulty arises when the nations all have different ideas of what benefits humanity, but that's the point of international relations and diplomacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

It'd be cool if there was a rule in this thread that if you want to argue about stuff that isn't a cartoon then you have to draw a cartoon yourself depicting your argument.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/city-news/royal-mail-privatisation-labour-calls-2365740

quote:

Royal Mail privatisation: Labour calls for two inquiries into sell-off which may have lost taxpayers £750MILLION.
The National Audit Office and the Public Accounts Committee have been asked to investigate the "woefully undervalued" flotation.

Labour last night called for two inquiries into the Royal Mail sell-off which may have lost taxpayers £750million.

The move comes after frenzied trading of more than 100 million shares pushed the 378-year-old company up from the Government’s valuation of £3.3billion to £4.4billion on Friday.

One investor told the Sunday Mirror: “Everyone knew the sale was woefully undervalued. But the Government could not risk failure.

“So they went ahead and we filled our boots.”

Now Shadow Business Secretary Chuka Umunna has demanded a National Audit Office probe into the sale after it emerged City traders blocked moves to set the launch price higher than £3.30 a share.

And he has also called on the powerful Public Accounts Committee to investigate the flotation.

Embattled Business Secretary Vince Cable denied he was behind a fire sale of a British institution and said the share price would fall back.

But Mr Umunna responded: “The vast majority of shares sold went to large City investors instead of members of the public.

“Taxpayers need to have confidence that this national institution hasn’t been sold off on the cheap to big money investors looking to make a fast buck. So it is crucial that this matter is fully investigated.”

The Government’s sale of up to 60% of the Royal Mail will raise between £1.7billion and £2billion.

But it could have netted an extra £750million if it had sold the company at Friday’s closing share price of £4.55.

Of the 690,000 people who joined the ell-off, many offloaded their allocations of 750 shares instantly to rake in a quick £250.

Meanwhile trouble is looming for the new stock market company as unions continue to oppose the privatisation ahead of an expected announcement on Wednesday of a postal workers’ strike.

Vince Cable being an Orange Booker he must have been behind it and is lying through his teeth. He's a sack of poo poo and so is the whole of the Libdems/Tories in government at the moment.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/city-news/royal-mail-privatisation-ministers-accused-2359782
Don't forget Ministers accused of ripping off taxpayers as investors bid £30billion for £1.7bn of shares. Some experts said the huge demand shows that the share price of £3.30 should have been almost doubled.

Play a game of who you want to hug and who you want to punch in this BBC video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24474047

You want to punch about 90%.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fluo posted:

Love that Rowson one! :china:

By the way just had to post this, I know its only the first one of the week but this weeks IF.. is going to be pretty fun!

Who's the little guy in the middle?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Who's the little guy in the middle?

It might be one of the Barclay brothers, who own the Telegraph.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd be surprised as why draw just one of the Barclays? Their twinship is their biggest feature. They're also not that hunched, though I guess Murdoch really has eyes so that might not matter. I wish I knew who it could be though.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'd be surprised as why draw just one of the Barclays? Their twinship is their biggest feature. They're also not that hunched, though I guess Murdoch really has eyes so that might not matter. I wish I knew who it could be though.

I'm not particularly convinced by my own suggestion but I can't think of another balding editor or owner.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Puntification posted:

I'm not particularly convinced by my own suggestion but I can't think of another balding editor or owner.

Aidan Barclay?

Problem is he has dark hair not white.

I would guess its one of the Barclay Brothers and one is being more vocal then the other.

Edit: Just googled every newspaper editor, some of them are pretty shocking.

Geordie Greig, Editor of the Mail on Sunday. :shepface:

Ian MacGregor, Editor for the Sunday Telegraph.

Martin Ivens, Sunday Times Editor.

Amol Rajan. Independent Editor.

Dawn Neesom, Daily Star Editor.

Lloyd Embley, Daily Mirror Editor.

I missed alot out but yeah. The owners is even more confusing.

However maybe Glen Moreno, who is;

quote:

Glen Moreno (born 1943) is an American businessman. Moreno has worked for several large companies in the United States and the United Kingdom and most recently worked as acting-chairman of UK Financial Investments Limited which manages the British government's bank shareholdings.

Looking deeper:

quote:

UK Financial Investments (UKFI) is a limited company set up in November 2008 and mandated by the UK Government to manage HM Treasury's shareholdings in banks subscribing to its recapitalisation fund. These currently include substantial holdings in Lloyds Banking Group and Royal Bank of Scotland Group; and previously also Northern Rock until that company was taken over by Virgin Money on 1 January 2012

Who is one of the key people in:

quote:

Pearson PLC is a British multinational publishing and education company headquartered in London. It is the largest education company and the largest book publisher in the world

Which are the owners of:

quote:

The Financial Times (FT) is a British English-language international daily newspaper with a special emphasis on business and economic news in the United Kingdom and internationally. The paper, published by Pearson PLC in London, was founded in 1888 by James Sheridan and Horatio Bottomley, and merged with its closest rival, the Financial News (which had been founded in 1884) in 1945.

I don't know I just found that weird on my hunt to find who the dude in the middle of that IF... cartoon is.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 14, 2013

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I think it's one of the random Daily Mail underlings in the bunker comics. They've got the same shirt and tie (same as Dacre's tie too) and the same bowed, bald head.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

UnCO3 posted:

I think it's one of the random Daily Mail underlings in the bunker comics. They've got the same shirt and tie (same as Dacre's tie too) and the same bowed, bald head.

Yeah, he is also speaking in a German accent aswell so most likely some Daily Mail underling slimeball.

On a sidenote:

Dude in the afro hair is the owner (aka whos granddad and dad were nazis) Jonathan Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fluo posted:

Lloyd Embley, Daily Mirror Editor.

Princess Leia's really let herself go.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Where's Britian? :colbert:

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Cloud Potato posted:

Where's Britian? :colbert:

Near Fracne

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

hazza posted:

Someone get those flags translated, stat! :china:

CartoonistRowson on CiF posted:

Mea culpa, everyone. They should read:

Death to the People!
Forward the heroic hedge-fund managers!
Fill your boots, posh boys!

but I used an on-line translation droid who, inevitably, screwed it up. Trouble was finding a native Chinese speaker in a hurry on a rainy Sunday afternoon in October in Lewisham, in my studio. Also, this was just a value added gag which, as it happens, does quite work. That said, you remember the one I did when Gaddafi died? The arabic graffiti in that seemed fine, I'm told, though doubtless same trans engine would translate the phrase I commenced this with - "Mea culpa" - as "apology jam" or something.

Back for re-education to the paddy fields.

peace and love

Martin Rowson

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne and Boris Johnson visiting China – London mayor upstages chancellor in Beijing on first full day of week-long British charm offensive"

Yesterday's Telegraph:

Telegraph:

DEBT! After Banksy.

Independent:

Mail:
"On a trade trip to China by George Osborne and Boris Johnson it was announced that It is going to be made easier for the Chinese to get visas for the UK."

quote:

“At last we’ve got our visas for the UK. Nice of the chubby blonde person to provide transport.”

Express:

:fuckoff:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is that a model boat lake? What the gently caress? WHAT THE FUCKJ

Nice to see Mac going full stereotype the moment he gets an opportunity

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

White Cliffs? Check. Bluebirds? Check. Union Jack? Check. Another good days work, Thomas, now relax with a nice ovaltine.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

You foreigners complaining that we should settle our political battles just to benefit your lot sound a lot like my stupider compatriots arguing that, say, Iran or Venezuela should only ever elect moderates because their current governments are bad for our businesses.

The US government has proven incapable of performing one of the most basic functions of governing without threatening to send the rest of the world hurtling into an economic meatgrinder. We deserve what scorn we get for that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr. Pumroy posted:

The US government has proven incapable of performing one of the most basic functions of governing without threatening to send the rest of the world hurtling into an economic meatgrinder. We deserve what scorn we get for that.

The US government has spent the last century strongarming the rest of the world into its sphere of influence, militarily and economically. It's hardly a coincidence that the global economy is heavily tied in to the US one, to the point where its sovereign currency is the global reserve currency and used for trading the planet's energy supply. So much of the world's structure has been created by the US establishing itself as the dominant global superpower and imposing its hegemony, and anything that threatens US stability naturally threatens that global structure. Arguing that Iran and Venezuela are in a comparable position of influence is loving facile beyond belief

I made a cartoon to illustrate this

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If you think I was saying that Iran and Venezuela have comparable influence then you need to reread my posts. And as to this- "It'd be cool if there was a rule in this thread that if you want to argue about stuff that isn't a cartoon then you have to draw a cartoon yourself depicting your argument," I was directly responding to one of the cartoons in this thread, among other things.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's my country, and I'll default if I want to
Default if I want to, Default if I want to
You would default too if it happened to you

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

If you think I was saying that Iran and Venezuela have comparable influence then you need to reread my posts. And as to this- "It'd be cool if there was a rule in this thread that if you want to argue about stuff that isn't a cartoon then you have to draw a cartoon yourself depicting your argument," I was directly responding to one of the cartoons in this thread, among other things.

But that isn't what I said. I said we should all draw cartoons when arguing.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

White Cliffs? Check. Bluebirds? Check. Union Jack? Check. Another good days work, Thomas, now relax with a nice ovaltine.
He seems to have missed out the badger AND the fox though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

At that scale they could be loving anywhere I think I see a badger in the sea on the right though, the fine pen has been dug out from under the crayons

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ookiimarukochan posted:

He seems to have missed out the badger AND the fox though.

baka kaba posted:

At that scale they could be loving anywhere I think I see a badger in the sea on the right though, the fine pen has been dug out from under the crayons
Yep, that's the badger and are those fox ears sticking out of the water just above the rightmost boat?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Plebgate – Theresa May joins IPCC in criticising failure to discipline officers accused of lying about meeting with Andrew Mitchell"

Telegraph:

Clangers to make TV return

Independent:

Cameron pledges to confront EU on red tape

Mail:

quote:

‘It’s a fair cop, ma’am. And I’d like 37 other bedrooms taken into consideration’
Helicopter thermal imaging leads to cannabis factory conviction

Express:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Two birds and two badgers but only one fox, am I missing something?

edit: You know looking at the clock I see two rubber duckies too.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 16, 2013

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I sincerely hope that the elk becomes a permanent part of Thompson's menagerie.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Health and Safety regulations, those crazy EU loons.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

The EU is adorable :swoon:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Cliff Racer posted:

Two birds and two badgers but only one fox, am I missing something?

edit: You know looking at the clock I see two rubber duckies too.

Sort of looks like there's one fox tail as a design on the vase on the left, and the obvious one in the painting on the left.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The vase on the left has a bird picture on it, the bird's chest is your second fox tail.

edit: Found it, its the left corgi's right ear. drat that's clever. Six animals, are the comics just going to be taking place in a zoo every day from now on?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

He's doodled tens of foxes on the paper, then erased them all and drew the cartoon. It's conceptual.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

GorfZaplen posted:

I sincerely hope that the elk becomes a permanent part of Thompson's menagerie.
Elk!? Pretty sure it's meant to be a stag.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron – PM says leaks have damaged national security and suggests MPs could 'examine issue and make further recommendations'"

Telegraph:

Plebgate: Draft report recommended disciplinary action

Independent:

Mail:
"England have qualified for the world football championship by beating Poland 2-0."

quote:

“Be honest. When the plumber arrived did you still have a silly smirk on your face?”

Express:

:what:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

England's native footy players are all unemployed layabouts because you stuff your teams with irishmen, a good cartoon

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 17, 2013

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I just have to smile every time I see Murdoch. Those eyes are a thing of beauty.

:allears:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Uhm, is there some kind of stereotype in Britain about the Polish all being plumbers or something? Because as an American, I don't get this one at all.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

cafel posted:

Uhm, is there some kind of stereotype in Britain about the Polish all being plumbers or something? Because as an American, I don't get this one at all.

Yes, actually. I knew enough to get the joke immediately. Its sort of a thing like Mexican day laborers or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, Poland relatively recently joined the EU and so all Poles can freely travel to and work in all member states. I have no idea what the actual facts are, but there was a large enough influx for the papers to notice and start exaggerating it.
It's pretty out of date now too, after the recession.

• Locked thread