Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Aren't pigs like 98% genetically similar to humnans? It would maybe make sense that if Walkeritis manages to hop between species, it'll be to pigs first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I quite liked the episode because I thought it did a good job of introducing us to a handful of the new characters while also fueling several of the themes of the show. One of those themes is that pre-event human society is no longer possible. How many times have we seen the characters efforts to recreate a complex, large group human society fall through? How many army camps with chain link fences and more guns than you can shake a stick at, filled only with walkers and death? This is the final collapse. Even a max security prison, the perfect compound to establish a new society complete with thick walls, locking cells, watch towers, etc, filled with experienced people who have survived for years, is doomed.

Rick is right when he tells that woman that "people are the best defense against walkers", but people are also the source of walkers and the bigger and more complex your society gets, the better the odds are that a 2am heart attack or toxic shock from a bacterial infection or a sociopath newly admitted to the group will bring it all crashing down. Crazy lady is right: there is no coming back.

Sure you can say that they should have been better prepared, with locked cells and a night watch, but that simply proves the point. After 6 months, or a year, or 5 years, human nature means that a mistake will be made and it will be over. It doesn't matter that they could have used 2 feet of hardware store chain and a big pack of master locks to give everyone their own lock at night (because I can see locking everyone in with a prison door lock that can only be opened from the outside being a terrible idea), or that they could have had a night guard to watch this kid, or any of that. Human nature means that someday a bad thing will happen, and the more people you have and the more "normal" you try to make your society, the sooner it will happen.

Senor Tron posted:

Rather than having walkers continually increase in danger I like the idea of them focusing on the side problems they cause.

Walkers are a threat like any other predator, but humans are resourceful, we're good at dealing with constant threats like that. However it's the new problems introduced as a result of their destruction of society that are the real dangers. Threats from other people, diseases, just struggling to keep access to basic resources.

It wasn't long ago in our world that diseases like the flu were a major killer, just as terrifying as a zombie outbreak. Personally I think that's almost scarier to have them facing real world threats because they are things that we are only prevented from by living in modern functioning societies. Take that away and the same problems would come to us.

Carl was telling off those girls who had named the walkers, I'm thinking it's them.
I agree. Last season especially we started to acknowledge that the walkers were more of an elemental force of nature that complicates the already complicated human social world. They are a threat but so are other groups of people. Now we might see walkers portrayed as just another issue that you have to deal with in a primitive, lawless world amongst starvation, disease, etc.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

cheese posted:

I agree. Last season especially we started to acknowledge that the walkers were more of an elemental force of nature that complicates the already complicated human social world. They are a threat but so are other groups of people. Now we might see walkers portrayed as just another issue that you have to deal with in a primitive, lawless world amongst starvation, disease, etc.

I think the fact that they mention more swarms will be the way in which the walkers remain a big threat. Their essential nature means that as time progresses they will get into larger and larger groups, so this makes sense.

I'm sad we didn't get to see a physical press of zombies absolutely destroy the Greene farm. I'm hoping that happens with the prison.

Also I now want to see Telltale version of Macon. At least the motel.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

NOTE: Very minor spoilers about a few upcoming elements in the season

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/14/walking-dead-season-premiere-robert-kirkman/

quote:

On the other hand, I’m not very happy with anyone referring to Daryl as “Pookie.”
[Laughs] Yeah, Norman asked for that. He makes everyone on set call him Pookie. We worked that into the show.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
A decent start, really hoping this season brings the show back into better light.

Lolly Poopdeck
Oct 21, 2010

by zen death robot
A new episode of Speakeasy with Robert Kirkman. Nothing spoilery, they mostly just shoot the poo poo. Also you can watch earlier episodes with Steven Yeun and Michael Rooker if you haven't seen them already.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Actually thought that wasn't a bad episode at all. There were a few moments that made me wince but overall I thought it was a solid episode. The plot with Rick and the woman could have easily been incoherent and stupid but they found the right way to execute it. I'm interested at where things are going which is an absolute plus considering most of the time when I get to the end of an episode I feel pretty "meh". You've done alright Walking Dead now please hold this quality level or increase it and maybe one day we can forgive and forget about the bad times.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

No More Heroes posted:

The producer on Talking Dead said 6-7 months. Also- the sneak peak of next week they showed on TD with the mysterious person with a flashlight feeding the fence walkers during the night, I bet its Carl, at the beginning of the episode Rick busted him saying he stays up all night reading comics by flashlight :staredog:

But to what end?

Sorry catching up here, I'm betting on Hershel's suicidal daughter or those stupid "gotta feed my pet zombie, I'm smart, I'm from Woodbury" kids only making the zombie land experience worse. No way its going to be Carl, he is one of the few survivors who know the dangers of the zombies. He would end up having flashbacks "you look like the one that ate my mom", and then proceed to go crazy.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

cheese posted:

One of those themes is that pre-event human society is no longer possible. How many times have we seen the characters efforts to recreate a complex, large group human society fall through? How many army camps with chain link fences and more guns than you can shake a stick at, filled only with walkers and death? This is the final collapse. Even a max security prison, the perfect compound to establish a new society complete with thick walls, locking cells, watch towers, etc, filled with experienced people who have survived for years, is doomed.....Crazy lady is right: there is no coming back.

Last season especially we started to acknowledge that the walkers were more of an elemental force of nature that complicates the already complicated human social world. They are a threat but so are other groups of people. Now we might see walkers portrayed as just another issue that you have to deal with in a primitive, lawless world amongst starvation, disease, etc.

You can't state at the beginning that human society is over and that the species is going extinct then conclude that walkers are going to be an ongoing problem in the human experience. Humanity will be dead soon.

Everyone might as well just kill themselves, is what you're saying.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

There's definitely some sort of new bleeding eye disease thing happening. I like the idea that they've more or less conquered the world they've found themselves in and managed to create a sustainable society, and then nature (or whatever zombiepocalypse is) throws them a new curve ball.

I'm guessing the guy who ended up under the shelves will have a bit of an arc in future. It looked to me like there was something going on when he reached for the bottle, like he was a recovering alcoholic maybe.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Paxman posted:

I'm guessing the guy who ended up under the shelves will have a bit of an arc in future. It looked to me like there was something going on when he reached for the bottle, like he was a recovering alcoholic maybe.

That guy was great on The Wire. I'm pretty sure that he'll have an arc.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Paxman posted:

No question about it. They made it pretty obvious that he was jonesing for a drink. I just hope they make good use of D'Angelo.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm interested to see what they can do story-wise with an already-recovered recovering alcoholic in a setting* where there's no alcohol to cause conflict to begin with... :confused:

I don't mean that sarcastically. I wonder if the show will eventually start doing flashbacks or something.

e: *the prison. not like "in the entire world"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People can homebrew alcohol

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Prison cider is the best cider, if we're going to be real for a minute.

That would be hilarious though.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Bob is definitely going to stick around, they set up a lot of backstory threads for him right away - he's a former combat medic, looks to be a former alcoholic, and he lingered on some of the corpses outside for a while, it seemed to zero in on the one that was cut in half in particular which I think was a dead soldier - perhaps a PTSD/this is similar to the horrors of war I witnessed angle. Tyreese's girlfriend Karen wasn't immediate cannon fodder either so maybe she'll get to do something too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Aren't pigs like 98% genetically similar to humnans? It would maybe make sense that if Walkeritis manages to hop between species, it'll be to pigs first.

Probably after watching horrifying Onion series, "Porkin' Across the US"

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I think it's in the water supply. The long shot of the shower dripping seemed set up to be menacing. In the beginning of season 3 when they found the prison didn't they pass the aqueduct or whatever it was and it was wide open? Zombies could have gotten in like the well on the farm and be causing illness.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I'm glad Michonne is an actual character this season instead of "angry woman who makes dumb faces at everyone".

Also, I liked the scene where she breaks the zombie cardboard cutout with her katana, so I made a gif of it.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

404notfound posted:

No question about it. They made it pretty obvious that he was jonesing for a drink. I just hope they make good use of D'Angelo.

Naw man it ain't like that. The Governor stay the Governor.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Oroborus posted:

I think it's in the water supply. The long shot of the shower dripping seemed set up to be menacing. In the beginning of season 3 when they found the prison didn't they pass the aqueduct or whatever it was and it was wide open? Zombies could have gotten in like the well on the farm and be causing illness.

i'm pretty sure its just rainwater jury rigged into a makeshift shower. Pumping stations arent manned anymord.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Penakoto posted:

I think a CD player is much more likely than an iPod, no computer and relying on a charge cord for power in a zombie post-apocalypse would be a hassle.

CDs and batteries on the other hand, easily looted from electronic or general stores. I bet the store with the roof zombies would've had both! It had wine, televisions and toys of not-zombies.

Yeah, the woman specifically said it was a boom box.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paxman posted:

There's definitely some sort of new bleeding eye disease thing happening. I like the idea that they've more or less conquered the world they've found themselves in and managed to create a sustainable society, and then nature (or whatever zombiepocalypse is) throws them a new curve ball.

I'm going to bet it's not a new disease: It's an old disease, but without proper modern procedures, regulations, etc. it's spreading out of control.

A lot of people would die of a lot of plagues in the zombie apocalypse, I think.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm going to bet it's not a new disease: It's an old disease, but without proper modern procedures, regulations, etc. it's spreading out of control.

A lot of people would die of a lot of plagues in the zombie apocalypse, I think.

There's always hoof and mouth disease. Kills livestock fast and is super rare in humans, but possible to spread. Only thing is Hershal would definitely know the signs and how to take care of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty good start to the season, setting up some kind of normalcy before presumably things break down.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

ShadowMar posted:

I'm glad Michonne is an actual character this season instead of "angry woman who makes dumb faces at everyone".

Pretty sure her and Rick are *having sex.*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Paxman posted:

There's definitely some sort of new bleeding eye disease thing happening.

And Rick noticing this one zombie out of the thousands he has met is to go at some point 'hey I saw one of those eye bleeding zombies, lets see where he came from to find the source'.

And the coughing that you hear when the nerd kid goes up the shower?
That will be the sound to lure his zombie rear end back down.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I just hope the prison gets burned to the ground this season, so they're back on the road.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

socialsecurity posted:

The most unbelievable part of this for me was the store that was completely unlooted this entire time, they even had a camp set up outside and all of that alcohol was sitting there untouched. When the ends times are upon us the booze will be the most valuable of salvage.

They actually explained this. After the place was overrun, walkers were all confined within the fence, forming a barrier that kept everyone out. The group used the boomboxes to lure them out (possibly also cutting the wire), and so the Big Spit(seriously?) had really only been open to outside access for a day or so.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Bob is definitely going to stick around, they set up a lot of backstory threads for him right away - he's a former combat medic, looks to be a former alcoholic, and he lingered on some of the corpses outside for a while, it seemed to zero in on the one that was cut in half in particular which I think was a dead soldier - perhaps a PTSD/this is similar to the horrors of war I witnessed angle. Tyreese's girlfriend Karen wasn't immediate cannon fodder either so maybe she'll get to do something too.

It might be a PTSD thing for later, but I took it to be a sort of "What the gently caress is half a zombie doing on the ground here?" look on his part before the camera showed us the crashed heli on the roof. The upper half of that walker was flailing around up there.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mexcillent posted:

Pretty sure her and Rick are *having sex.*

Of all the characters that had this implied, Rick-Michonne.. well, I sure didn't pick up anything like that.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
I wonder who zombie Milhouse will attack in a Psycho shower scene.

Probably Tyreese's love interest

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
So what was the implication with the glasses kid's fever? Was he bitten and hiding it, or did it just pop up entirely out of nowhere and kill him, apparently in one night, after causing bleeding from his mouth and eyes?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

THE PWNER posted:

So what was the implication with the glasses kid's fever? Was he bitten and hiding it, or did it just pop up entirely out of nowhere and kill him, apparently in one night, after causing bleeding from his mouth and eyes?
He had an unknown ailment that will obviously be part of the plot in the next few episodes. No he wasn't bitten.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

ShadowMar posted:

Also, I liked the scene where she breaks the zombie cardboard cutout with her katana, so I made a gif of it.

I'm starting to warm up to Michonne. They gave her some character development last season in what was quite possibly the best episode of the series so far "Clear", which happened to be written by the new showrunner Scott Gimple. Those are two big reasons to be excited about this season.

Put me in the group who didn't hate this episode. The season premiere was pretty average, but I think it was intended to be a set-up episode. I have no real big complaints. This is fiction, so you have to suspend your disbelief to a degree. I like the direction they are taking with Rick, Carl, and Michonne, and Darryl will always be awesome, even when he emasculated with cutesy nicknames by Carol. I'm intrigued by the new black dude (not Tyreese, although I like him too), so it will be interesting to see where they go with his character. So in short, this episode gave me a lot of reasons to keep watching.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Surlaw posted:

He had an unknown ailment that will obviously be part of the plot in the next few episodes. No he wasn't bitten.

Yeah I must've stopped watching during the "rick looks at things" segments because I didn't see the blood eyes zombies at all

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maybe there was an outbreak of Ebola no one heard about because of the zombie plague.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Of all the characters that had this implied, Rick-Michonne.. well, I sure didn't pick up anything like that.

I didn't think the show was implying that yet, but something about their interactions made me think the show was setting that up for later in the season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonny 290 posted:

100% for some people, or some pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
On the whole I was pretty unimpressed by the premiere, but here are my thoughts.

Goods:

The subplot with the weird lady was oddly enthralling for me. I don't know what it says about Rick going forward, but I enjoyed it.

I also really enjoyed Carol just ending story time and bringing out a big fuckin' box-o-knives to teach the kids knife safety. I would have done as well, and she is probably my favorite character as of now.

The helicopter reveal got me revved up.

Herschel's witty banter with Rick made me smile. Old men on TV make me smile. (or cry.)

Bads:

This was really the most nonchalant season premiere of any show I've ever seen.

Oh boy, a zombie-amidst-us subplot. I'm so excited.

The helicopter reveal was a cruel cock-tease. I was hoping there would be more significant plot development and maybe hopefully some military involvement in the plot but no.

I'm pretty sure that's not how ceilings work? They were walking around fine before the people showed up. And then the whole loving thing was done in.
Come to think of it how did the helicopter even land on the roof without collapsing the fucker?

Anyway, a pretty weak start for S04 but I hope they get it together.
Also, I really hope they kill Carl off before he gets any older. I can't stand recasts.
(except doctor who.)

• Locked thread