Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

JordanKai posted:

I would pay so much money for Super Mario Sunshine HD, especially if they redo the soundtrack with live instruments. :allears:

They almost certainly wouldn't, but I'd bet they would redo it with their much improved synths like they did with Wind Waker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

greatn posted:

They almost certainly wouldn't, but I'd bet they would redo it with their much improved synths like they did with Wind Waker.

I've done a bit of replacing old synths with new video game music remastering myself, and I can tell you it requires very little work. Just doing that is the lazy way around it, but I'm not sure an HD remaster brings in enough money to warrant an orchestral OST.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

For orchestration you're paying money for the session time so it comes down to how efficiently they could orchestrate an existing soundtrack.

I assume most companies don't bother because they don't think it's much of a selling point.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I want a Resident Evil 4 HD on the Wii U so I can replay it for the billionth time. :zombie:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

I want a Resident Evil 4 HD on the Wii U so I can replay it for the billionth time. :zombie:

You could always try it on Dolphin if you have a decent i5 CPU. You could easily play it in 1080p or even higher.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lord Lambeth posted:

Well at least there's Revelations HD.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'd like this but it would need to be redone from the 360/PS3 HD version which looked like poo poo.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

For orchestration you're paying money for the session time so it comes down to how efficiently they could orchestrate an existing soundtrack.

I assume most companies don't bother because they don't think it's much of a selling point.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and Final Fantazy X|X-2 have remastered soundtracks, although I don't think they're really orchestrated. They do sound a lot better than the original PS2 synth tracks, for the most part.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Resident Evil 4 needs to be on every console. It should definitely get a portable version at least. (iOS doesn't count, since that wasn't the full game)

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd like this but it would need to be redone from the 360/PS3 HD version which looked like poo poo.

There was nothing really wrong about the PS3/360 version, except it ran at 720p, 30 fps with no anti-aliasing. Most other HD versions get either 1080p, 60 fps, or 2xAA, but Capcom didn't bother with any of those, and it looked pretty rough up close because of all the jaggies.

E: VVV I'm used to playing it on the Gamecube where it at 640x360 (since it forces letterboxing), so it's still 4x the number of pixels, or 3x the number of the Wii version. As long as I don't sit too close to my monitor, it looks fine.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 14, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

There was nothing really wrong about the PS3/360 version, except it ran at 720p, 30 fps with no anti-aliasing. Most other HD versions get either 1080p, 60 fps, or 2xAA, but Capcom didn't bother with any of those, and it looked pretty rough up close because of all the jaggies.

I think that counts as "something really wrong".

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think that counts as "something really wrong".

Just kinda lazy, really. "Something really wrong" would be the HD Silent Hill's cutting down on the fog effects and creating a whole slew of visual and audio glitches, plus rerecording dialogue for the game that least needed it as a special kind of "gently caress you" to the fans. Compared to that, RE4 is fine, though it's definitely more of a port job than an actual HD release.

Though I am in full agreement that there should be more HD remakes that actually go back and add some polish like Wind Waker does, making everything smoother, faster and easier. Hell, I'd also be in favour of more RE1 on GC style remakes that go back and completely rebuild the game from scratch. THAT'S how you do an HD upgrade.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Too bad Capcom considered that one a failure. :negative:

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

:stare:

You cray cray.

Stallord is my favourite boss fight ever.

Koloctos (or whatever it was called) in SS is probably my favourite. Boss was mad fun. The dude at the end of the ancient cistern I think, the 6 armed guy with the giant swords

Although that giganto skelly was ridiculously fun and the best use of the beyblade. Shame that was literally all it was good for.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mill Village posted:

Too bad Capcom considered that one a failure. :negative:

Well that was Capcom's stupid fault for putting the game on a system that only had a fifth of the userbase the PS2 had.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

At least it had a lighting engine, unlike the PC version.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

PC version patched up with all the mods floating around isn't that bad. But it's a port from the ps2 version which means pre-rendered cutscenes.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

TaurusOxford posted:

Well that was Capcom's stupid fault for putting the game on a system that only had a fifth of the userbase the PS2 had.
Yet they never bothered porting it to a non-Nintendo system. Yeah, the artwork probably doesn't look so hot scaled to a 720p display, but since when has 'it looks like poo poo' ever stopped Capcom from releasing something?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

When Capcom did their public survey earlier this year about what games they should be "pursuing in the digital space", one of the options during the Resident Evil section was "Port REmake to PSN/XBLA". They could probably do it, I mean I played REmake Wii a few months ago on my Wii U and thought that it held up pretty well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Policenaut posted:

When Capcom did their public survey earlier this year about what games they should be "pursuing in the digital space", one of the options during the Resident Evil section was "Port REmake to PSN/XBLA". They could probably do it, I mean I played REmake Wii a few months ago on my Wii U and thought that it held up pretty well.

It hurt the franchise in a way too. Even though the RE remake sold great and RE Zero did really well too (both got Player's Choice re-releases, which I believe at the time required 500,000 sales to get that option while it was only something like 250,000 on PS2). If it wasn't a "failure" in Capcom's eyes they were talking about doing the same thing for RE2 and 3, which would have been great. Instead they went with continuing the Gun Survivor spinoff so we got Dead Aim and the Chronicles games (the latter of which used a lot of assets from the REmake and Zero anyway which was even more of a tease). I love the Chronicles games but you can tell the guys didn't have a budget.

Didn't Capcom have some bs excuse about how porting REmake and Zero to new systems would be too much work because they don't have the original assets anymore so they can't just render them at a higher resolution? I'm an idiot with this stuff can someone clarify how this works with pre-rendered backgrounds?

I'm surprised they haven't dropped a budget RE Essentials or Pure Evil pack on the Wii U with REmake+Zero together or RE1/2/3 or something like that. All of these games were ported to Dreamcast/GC/etc. pretty easily.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Didn't Capcom have some bs excuse about how porting REmake and Zero to new systems would be too much work because they don't have the original assets anymore so they can't just render them at a higher resolution? I'm an idiot with this stuff can someone clarify how this works with pre-rendered backgrounds?

Well, if they don't have the original assets anymore than they're up poo poo creek without a paddle when it comes to porting to HD systems, since they'd either just port the GC game as is and have it look like crap, or have to guess at how everything was originally rendered and try to recreate it at which point they're making an entirely new game from scratch anyway so why bother making a port?

Basically, pre-rendered backgrounds are exactly what they say they are, a far more powerful machine than the system you're playing the game on spent time rendering everything into a static image, then the devs took those images and used them as backgrounds for the characters to move around in. Those assets were probably built using a polygon count and texture resolutions that would make a PS4 sweat, so they'd be impossible on a GC without pre-rendering them. As for why they didn't keep those assets, it's possible they were misplaced, damaged over time or intentionally destroyed.

Regardless, if they're gone then so go the chances of getting the REmake for HD systems, the amount of work required to rebuild those assets would be insane, it'd actually be easier to just remake the remake than it would be to rebuild it.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I actually did it. I bought a Wii U and Wind Waker. Though, to be honest, it was mostly because I found it on sale, where I saved about 200 dollars.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, if they don't have the original assets anymore than they're up poo poo creek without a paddle when it comes to porting to HD systems, since they'd either just port the GC game as is and have it look like crap, or have to guess at how everything was originally rendered and try to recreate it at which point they're making an entirely new game from scratch anyway so why bother making a port?

Basically, pre-rendered backgrounds are exactly what they say they are, a far more powerful machine than the system you're playing the game on spent time rendering everything into a static image, then the devs took those images and used them as backgrounds for the characters to move around in. Those assets were probably built using a polygon count and texture resolutions that would make a PS4 sweat, so they'd be impossible on a GC without pre-rendering them. As for why they didn't keep those assets, it's possible they were misplaced, damaged over time or intentionally destroyed.

Regardless, if they're gone then so go the chances of getting the REmake for HD systems, the amount of work required to rebuild those assets would be insane, it'd actually be easier to just remake the remake than it would be to rebuild it.

I think the pre rendered assets in REmake are a bit different. Supposedly each room is actually laid out with polygons (albeit simple ones) and the pre rendered stuff is basically a texture on those polygons. That's how they achieve those multi angled cut scenes.

The fact they don't have the assets makes that even worse since you can't just have a digital artist scale up the backgrounds and paint over them to clean them up (there are some bootleg ff7 mods that do this).

I just tried the zombi u demo. That game is kinda cool, I just wish it wasn't $40. It's zombie dark souls!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm sure you could find it in the nearest bargain bin at this point.

Really neat game that desperately needs a sequel, and still one of the few games to really make use of the gamepad.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Really neat game that desperately needs a sequel, and still one of the few games to really make use of the gamepad.

The sequel names are ripe for the picking, as well.

Zombi TU

Zomthri U

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

On the other hand, if UbiSoft made a sequel, they'd probably listen to those reviewers that complained it wasn't Left 4 Dead or CoD Zombies or whatever, and make it yet another generic action FPS with zombies.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Yet they never bothered porting it to a non-Nintendo system. Yeah, the artwork probably doesn't look so hot scaled to a 720p display, but since when has 'it looks like poo poo' ever stopped Capcom from releasing something?

Well, they didn't release the Resident Evil port for the Game Boy Color. It was mostly finished before they realised what a horrible idea that was, though.

cat doter posted:

I think the pre rendered assets in REmake are a bit different. Supposedly each room is actually laid out with polygons (albeit simple ones) and the pre rendered stuff is basically a texture on those polygons. That's how they achieve those multi angled cut scenes.

The fact they don't have the assets makes that even worse since you can't just have a digital artist scale up the backgrounds and paint over them to clean them up (there are some bootleg ff7 mods that do this).

You're right that there's a lot of 3D models used with the pre-rendered backgrounds, although they're actually used to cast shadows on to. Each camera angle would use a separate image, since otherwise it would look terrible.

Unless they have all of the original assets somewhere, then this game is never going to be in HD. All of those backgrounds are stored on the Gamecube disc as 480p images, so they can't reverse-engineer the game either. It's as disappointing as seeing high resolution renders for Final Fantasy IX's backgrounds, and knowing that they've all been lost or thrown away.

E: VVV Oh God, I forgot about that. At least Resident Evil 3 was skipped over for horrible ports, right?

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 15, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

That loving Sned posted:

It was mostly finished before they realised what a horrible idea that was, though.

Meanwhile, at Tiger Telematics..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1whfiMVm-Hg

Imagine this, but with a wretched screen full of bad contrast and ghosting.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm unironically hoping they re-release Resident Evil Gaiden on the 3DS VC. Surely I'm not the only person who doesn't hate that game?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

cat doter posted:

No, like Sned said those polygons are there for casting shadows onto, there's still a static image laid over top of them for your character to walk around in. "Multi angled cut scenes" are done by creating a whole bunch of static images that they'd only use for each specific cut in each specific scene and nowhere else. Pay attention and you'll notice the loading frames where the game has to dump one image and load the next, which happens all the time while walking around in game, also happens during cut-scenes, although it's a much shorter load since the game is preparing for it during the cut-scene.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
What's the deal with these companies not backing up games. I get it before Super Mario Allstars, but that made it pretty obvious people like gussied up classic rereleases

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

thedouche posted:

What's the deal with these companies not backing up games. I get it before Super Mario Allstars, but that made it pretty obvious people like gussied up classic rereleases

I guess it's possible they could have just lost the assets.

Dumber things have happened.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Isn't this what happened with the first Kingdom Hearts?

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

The television networks never bothered to save the film from the first two Super Bowls.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Sometimes poo poo just happens. Backups can and do go bad ( seriously gently caress you archival tapes! ) Some companies just implement terrible backup procedures or none at all. Just look at the BBC who lost like a hundred episods of the original doctor who because they reused their old film reels/didnt keep backups.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Watch Dogs unfortunately delayed until 2014. Hopefully for the best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jhorphear posted:

Sometimes poo poo just happens. Backups can and do go bad ( seriously gently caress you archival tapes! ) Some companies just implement terrible backup procedures or none at all. Just look at the BBC who lost like a hundred episodes of the original doctor who because they reused their old film reels/didnt keep backups.

Hey, it's only some 88-odd episodes now and there's hope for more.

Macaluso posted:

Isn't this what happened with the first Kingdom Hearts?

Yup. Same thing happened to Panzer Dragoon Saga as well for the entire source code to the game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Watch Dogs unfortunately delayed until 2014. Hopefully for the best.

That makes my holiday shopping a little easier.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Louisgod posted:

So does the tv need to be on to boot into Wii mode via the gamepad? That's what it seems like but just want to confirm.

I think some people covered it already, but I've found a process that lets you work around needing your TV at all:

1) set your Wii U to NOT display to HDMI in the graphics settings
2) Shut off the Wii U
3) Boot the Wii U and hold B. It should boot into Wii mode with off-tv turned on.

You MIGHT have to do at least one boot with the TV on and select TV & Gamepad for this to work, though.

Yes, this is an awful way of doing this and is totally backwards on how it should be but with how many features are half-baked on the Wii U I'm not surprised it's this annoying.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
New Super Mario 3D World screenshots: http://nintendoeverything.com/new-super-mario-3d-world-screenshots-2/

Even if I'm not a huge fan of the Pixar style "everything looks shiny and plastic" this game looks extremely beautiful. So much colour and charm.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Oh poo poo, Para Dry Bones! :neckbeard:

e: Here's all the screenshots without having to press Next all the time.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Looks like the shell suit is back? And maybe some mechanic with being wet, or just extra shininess for the hell of it.

• Locked thread