Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The Pokeball Boutique in Lumiose has all the Kurt Pokeballs from Gold and Silver on display, but you can't actually buy them :mad:

The kicker is, they're probably programmed into the game for compatibility with HG/SS. Anyone happen to know if you can EVENTUALLY buy them, at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

So I'm kind of curious what teams people are going with? I don't play competitively or anything but right now I've got:

Chesnaught
Sylveon
Dragagle
Noivern
Malamar
Doublade

Weirdly enough the starters are probably my least favourite Pokemon this generation, I might ditch Chesnaught for something that can use Mega Evolution.

I just beat the pokemon league with Greninja, Hawlucha, Jolteon, Tyruntum, Charizard and Mawile. Going to work towards post game content and work on a more competitive team now, but they only had slight problems with the champion.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Help Im Alive posted:

So I'm kind of curious what teams people are going with? I don't play competitively or anything but right now I've got:

Chesnaught
Sylveon
Dragagle
Noivern
Malamar
Doublade

Weirdly enough the starters are probably my least favourite Pokemon this generation, I might ditch Chesnaught for something that can use Mega Evolution.

I'm just past the fourth badge and I'm using

Charizard
Talonflame
Slugoo
Gogoat
Tyrantrum
Greninja

I've been thinking about boxing Greninja for something I like more, because as it is I barely use him. It's hard for him to stand out when the other options are Charizard and Tyrantrum.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Seriously the Mega Evolutions that I want to use are not the ones I can get before the end. I'm really glad I spoiled myself on that, actually.

Yea my one real issue here is that the Mega stuff is so heavily gated compared to when you first get access.

"Hey here's a mega ring, poo poo's cash right? Now go beat the Elite 4 if you want to cool stones!"

On the plus side to that, though, lots of time to build your mega team.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!
Well I guess I can tell I've been trying to catch a shiny mareep for a bit. I can tell by the lag if it's gonna be a horde of wingull or mareep. :shepface:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Man, my max friendship Farfetch'd was a loving hero against the champion. He did 3 friendship evades, 2 friendship criticals and one friendship endure in the match. How can it be?
Max friendship: its worth it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hate horde battles, but drat, it is really satisfying knocking out 5 Pokemon at once especially if it is a bunch Roggenrola.

My mold breaker Pancham definitely earned a permanent spot on the team along with the fabulous mega Ampharos. :allears:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Do any Bug types learn Surf? I'm already planning out some Single Type runs, but thinking that might be a sticking point if they can't...

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Just entered route 14 after the 5th badge and I'm using:

Delphox
Tyrantrum
Doublade
Gardevoir
Hawlucha
Greninja
and leveling Skrelp

I'm also switching in Pangoro when I feel like it. I'm having a hard time deciding between Greninja and Dragalge and Hawlucha is currently false swipe and hm slave.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Holy gently caress Wonder Trade is my new God, I traded a decent Skitty for some Mexican dude's level 15 Croagunk before the first gym.

If I can somehow land a Pincer once I get my Squirtle I'll already nearly have a dream team.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
So I threw Wingull up onto the Wonder Trade and get a level 58 Haunter.

:allears: Wonder Trade is the best.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Help Im Alive posted:

Chesnaught
Sylveon
Dragalge
Noivern
Malamar
Doublade

Yeah I'm not doing anything competitive so I'm just using whoever I wanted. Currently running;

-Golurk
-Greninja
-Carbink
-Mawlie
-Gardevoir
-Malamar

Working okay, though of course it is when I'm 10 20 levels above everything. Big grass weakness though.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Classtoise posted:

So I threw Wingull up onto the Wonder Trade and get a level 58 Haunter.

:allears: Wonder Trade is the best.

Now wait until you throw something nice up on the wonder trade and get a lvl 2 Fletchling in return.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^No, you monster, that's when you just tell yourself it's some little kid just now starting the game who you made super happy. :colbert:

Wonder Trade, Capture EXP, and the new EXP share really help people like me who love catching pokemon and having big, sometimes weird, teams. X/Y is basically the Tatum Girlparts generation.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea my one real issue here is that the Mega stuff is so heavily gated compared to when you first get access.

"Hey here's a mega ring, poo poo's cash right? Now go beat the Elite 4 if you want to cool stones!"

On the plus side to that, though, lots of time to build your mega team.
Mega isn't something you'd fill a whole team with anyway, but if you did everything you should have a ton of them:
  • You get a Lucario for free just for unlocking the feature.
  • You have a Gen I starter that comes with the matching stone.
  • If you did the Mystery Gift, you have a Blaziken that also has a stone.
  • Somebody gives you the stone for Ampharos shortly after you get surf.
  • An NPC in the 6th gym town gives you the stone for Gengar.
  • You get the Abomasnow one from the storyline Abomasnow. Thanks, Aboma!
From that alone you could have an entire team of mega pokemon if you really wanted. It's true a lot of the good ones are postgame, but it's not like they give you one and that's it.

Anyway my current team is:

Vivillon
Snorlax
Blaziken
Venusaur
Greninja
Bibarel/Yveltal

:effort: really, I've not even filled the first box in the computer yet. I could catch lots of poo poo but I don't bother and probably won't until I clear the League once.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Help Im Alive posted:

Chesnaught
Sylveon
Dragalge
Noivern
Malamar
Doublade

I'm using:

Greninja
Doublade
Swalot
Charizard
Blaziken
Pangoro

Swalot is surprisingly awesome, with her Gaping mouth opening and vomiting poison all over things.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Nibble posted:

I have something like 12 hours game time and haven't progressed past Ambrette Town yet. I've been trying to catch as many as possible and Route 8 especially was just chock full of pokes I had to stop and catch. And now I think I want to run back and find a Compoundeyes Scatterbug because 90+% accurate Hurricane and Sleep Power sounds monstrous.

30 hours played. Haven't left Ambrette. :psyduck:

My pokedex is at like 120 though. I felt bad for that little nerdlinger who tries to compare his dex to yours.

Nakar posted:

From that alone you could have an entire team of mega pokemon if you really wanted. It's true a lot of the good ones are postgame, but it's not like they give you one and that's it.

So... 6. In a game with 700 or whatever. There's like what, 25 known total? Megas are stupid.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

kater posted:

My pokedex is at like 120 though. I felt bad for that little nerdlinger who tries to compare his dex to yours.

That guy is definitely the most forgettable of all the poke gang. People talk down Hugh but he was at least entertaining to be around. Sod off back to the library, kid, ain't got no time for your ineffectual geekery.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
God help me I just dropped 100,000 on a white shirt and am thinking of spending 80,000 on a loving fedora :negative:

Do O powers go above level 3?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

kater posted:

So... 6. In a game with 700 or whatever. There's like what, 25 known total? Megas are stupid.
There's sure to be more of them when Z comes out and then still more over time. I'd agree some (like Pinsir/Heracross) probably don't need to be postgame, but stuff like Mewtwo and Scizor probably do.

Mega Scizor, seriously? And it still has Technician? Now you're just rubbing it in, guys.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Peewi posted:

That's the one where they say you have to be on par with the champion, right? I'd guess beat the Elite Four.

I've beaten the game already and they still wont let me in

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Well, if the stats from Smogon are correct, good ol' Choice Band Scizor is actually better than Mega Scizor. :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nakar posted:

There's sure to be more of them when Z comes out and then still more over time. I'd agree some (like Pinsir/Heracross) probably don't need to be postgame, but stuff like Mewtwo and Scizor probably do.

Mega Scizor, seriously? And it still has Technician? Now you're just rubbing it in, guys.

Its still weaker than a regular Scizor holding a Life Orb to be fair.

I think a lot of Mega Evos are going to be less used than their base forms with a few obvious exceptions ie. Mawhile, Abomasnow, Aggron, Gengar, Charizard X/Y and Ampharos.

Like, I have no idea why you would use Mega Alakazam over Magic Guard Alakazam with Life Orb or Focus Sash. Ditto Mega Tyranitar, Scizor, Heracross etc.

Hell Mega Blastoise managed to get one of the only abilities that's a step down from Torrent considering the only pulse move it learns is water pulse and its only jacked up to the level of Surf.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Pokenoob here, so do I need to have a previous games save in order to be able to have all the pokemon? I read that there are four legendaries in this game or something but there seems to be a lot more than that.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Hammerite posted:

That guy is definitely the most forgettable of all the poke gang. People talk down Hugh but he was at least entertaining to be around. Sod off back to the library, kid, ain't got no time for your ineffectual geekery.

I loved when he was like "you've seen Ralts too, doesn't it make you happy when other people know about the same Pokemon as you?"

Uh... yeah, sure, kid. If you say so. You must be happy all the time, because considering there's only slightly upwards of 700 of these things and they appear to be the primary driving factors your entire economy, culture, and scientific research, I'm pretty sure there is no human on the planet who hasn't heard of a loving Ralts.

Really, Pokemon seems to exist in this weird limbo where they want you to believe that Pokemon are super important in this universe, and almost every 10 year old adventures and sees hundreds of them, and yet everyone regardless of age or level of education is loving astounded by the fact that Digletts exist.

e: And apparently the scientists in this world have never heard of "reinventing the wheel", since all of them apparently desperately need 10 year olds to collect data on Pidgeys. There really ought to be a national database for this stuff by now.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 14, 2013

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Internet Kraken posted:

God help me I am thinking of spending 80,000 on a loving fedora :negative:
:goonsay:

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Well, if the stats from Smogon are correct, good ol' Choice Band Scizor is actually better than Mega Scizor. :v:

A lot of the mega evolutions aren't as good as the top tier versions for competitive battling, but if they're viable at that level there's the possibility of them being different enough to make it hard to accurately plan for.

e: Nakar also didn't mention Aerodactylite, which you can get either first trip or on the trip back to the fossil town.

Daerc fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nakar posted:

Somebody gives you the stone for Ampharos shortly after you get surf.

poo poo, do you remember where? I'm pretty sure I missed this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nakar posted:

Mega isn't something you'd fill a whole team with anyway, but if you did everything you should have a ton of them:
  • You get a Lucario for free just for unlocking the feature.
  • You have a Gen I starter that comes with the matching stone.
  • If you did the Mystery Gift, you have a Blaziken that also has a stone.
  • Somebody gives you the stone for Ampharos shortly after you get surf.
  • An NPC in the 6th gym town gives you the stone for Gengar.
  • You get the Abomasnow one from the storyline Abomasnow. Thanks, Aboma!

Also Mega-Aerodactyl, though I can't recall where I got the -ite I definitely had it when I got to the tower.

Kinda annoying that you can't look up its stats outside of combat, but its special ability powers up moves that contact the enemy (ie trigger poison point or rough skin etc).

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013
As the OP mentioned there is no need to play previous versions, however, would anyone here recommend picking up copies of b/w 1&2? I have only previously played the Blue and Silver editions for Game Boy. Just picked up a 3DS XL for Pokemon Y :)

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Mr.Citrus posted:

Pokenoob here, so do I need to have a previous games save in order to be able to have all the pokemon? I read that there are four legendaries in this game or something but there seems to be a lot more than that.

Nope, everyone starts fresh every time. In fact it's even easier to get more Pokemon with the Wonder Trade that you can use right from the beginning, so just jump on in!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I caught Xerneas in 2 Ultra Balls! Sassy nature, eh I don't want to reset through all those forced battles and Lysander's Mega Gyarados again.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Edgy Bees posted:

As the OP mentioned there is no need to play previous versions, however, would anyone here recommend picking up copies of b/w 1&2? I have only previously played the Blue and Silver editions for Game Boy. Just picked up a 3DS XL for Pokemon Y :)

I'd Recommend Platinum, Soul Silver and White or Black 2.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Jsor posted:

e: And apparently the scientists in this world have never heard of "reinventing the wheel", since all of them apparently desperately need 10 year olds to collect data on Pidgeys. There really ought to be a national database for this stuff by now.

The funny thing is that there is the National Pokedex. I guess every game happens to take place in a region where the professor is a complete scrub and only gets his poo poo together when his Pokedex kid becomes champ.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Livingtrope posted:

poo poo, do you remember where? I'm pretty sure I missed this.

It's in the whatever bay. Surf north off the coast, towards the cave on the map.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Wait, four legendaries? I'm only aware of three. Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde. What's the other one?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Zore posted:

Its still weaker than a regular Scizor holding a Life Orb to be fair.

I think a lot of Mega Evos are going to be less used than their base forms with a few obvious exceptions ie. Mawhile, Abomasnow, Aggron, Gengar, Charizard X/Y and Ampharos.

Like, I have no idea why you would use Mega Alakazam over Magic Guard Alakazam with Life Orb or Focus Sash. Ditto Mega Tyranitar, Scizor, Heracross etc.

Hell Mega Blastoise managed to get one of the only abilities that's a step down from Torrent considering the only pulse move it learns is water pulse and its only jacked up to the level of Surf.

I think Game Freak really do want to add variety to the battling scene, but sometimes they just seem not to have any grasp of the idea of opportunity cost, and it's weird.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

nerdbot posted:

The funny thing is that there is the National Pokedex. I guess every game happens to take place in a region where the professor is a complete scrub and only gets his poo poo together when his Pokedex kid becomes champ.

"What? Pidgey? Fat chance Professor Smartass, I'm not going to believe anything you tell me after that Pikablu incident at the 2005 conference."

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Is the Goomy line good in battle (stat and movepool wise)?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

HalfHazard posted:

Nope, everyone starts fresh every time. In fact it's even easier to get more Pokemon with the Wonder Trade that you can use right from the beginning, so just jump on in!

But what about when pokemon transfers come in? if I do battles won't I end up seeing a ton (probably legendaries) of pokemon I have no way of getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Talmonis posted:

I'd Recommend Platinum, Soul Silver and White or Black 2.

If I pick up with these, I will only be missing out on the third generation (I think). Any major reason to fish up an older system for that?

• Locked thread