Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Slim Pickens posted:

The kickstarter shaft is over the shifter? Never seen that before.

Old Can-Am bikes running Bombardier engines use that setup with left hand kick starters and shifter. They had a lot of problems with the outer kicker shaft snapping and breaking the case. Does the KTM setup use an o-ring to seal the shifter to the ID of the kicker shaft?

edit: I just received some TZR125 rims to fit to my TDR250 so I can run some proper sized tires. What is the best method for prepping cast rims for paint? I'm not able to media blast them, unfortunately.

DefaultPeanut fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

Went for a ride with a sportbike buddy on some nice country roads. I was right behind him in the corners, but every long straight the VFR would loose me while I pinned the DRZ wide open and put my chin on the tank. Good times.

This is the most fun part of owning a supermoto. I went out a couple weeks ago on my drz with a cbr600rr and a triumph speed triple.

I actually had to slow down in the corners to avoid punting them, then they would pull away in the straights. Even with their lead in the straights though I'd still reel them back in when the road got twisty.

Supermoto_ownership.docx

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

DefaultPeanut posted:

Does the KTM setup use an o-ring to seal the shifter to the ID of the kicker shaft?

Yeah, that is what I was replacing. KTM calls it a 'V-Seal'. I hope it works, because I had a very small oil leak coming from that area.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the most fun part of owning a supermoto. I went out a couple weeks ago on my drz with a cbr600rr and a triumph speed triple.

I actually had to slow down in the corners to avoid punting them, then they would pull away in the straights. Even with their lead in the straights though I'd still reel them back in when the road got twisty.

Supermoto_ownership.docx

You're a pretty awesome rider glad you told us about it. Again.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Yeah unless you give us all a video (at least 2 go-pro's must be running at once) with GPS coordinates matched to the video at every second so we can fact check your work I don't believe a loving word you say you bastard.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It is literally impossible for one motorcyclist to be a better rider than another motorcyclist, no one that owns a sportbike has ever parked it in a corner and been caught by a dude on a sumo, it never happens ever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

You're a pretty awesome rider glad you told us about it. Again.

No problem if you ever want to hear about it just let me know. I can send you a word doc or pdf too if you want.

Thanks for contributing. Again!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
:allears:

Protip: put a squeaky bicycle horn or bell on your handlebars, it adds a :smugwizard: factor when you blast past the little 8 year old bug eyed at you or the harley rider who is bewildered as you zoom by.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I saw a 2008 KTM 690 smc with 2000 miles on it for $8200. Too much?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo! How much are they new in the US anyway?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Got stopped for a written wheelie warning on the way home today, it was the last of probably 10-12 and just happened to be 30 seconds from my house. Just played dumb and said I was used to having dirt/trail to ride back where I'm from, old habits die hard, etc. Worked out pretty good.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Its this one:

atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/4048922138.html

From the search I did in the Atlanta area, there's that one, another one going for $8500, a 690 Enduro for $6500 and a "690 supermoto" for $6500.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 15, 2013

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I thought the SMC was only sold in 09-10, and 08 models were SMs. Am I wrong?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coredump posted:

Its this one:

From the search I did in the Atlanta area, there's that one, another one going for $8500, a 690 Enduro for $6500 and a "690 supermoto" for $6500.

Seems high, weren't they near that price new? I might be wrong on that point, but that's a lot of dough for a bike that can be had down in the 6-7 range

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks for the replies on my 690's stall issue - I had a busy weekend and just got around to checking back.

KozmoNaut posted:

At which RPM does your bike idle, btw? I had issues with my XT660 cutting out if I blipped the throttle too quickly from idle. Turns out it was idling at 1200 RPM and the manual says it should be between 1300 and 1500. I adjusted it to 1400 and since then, it hasn't cut out at all.

I'm generally between 1500-1700.

Spiffness posted:

The earliest 690 SMC's had stalling issues down to tuning and ECU.

First step, take the seat off and find the engine map and make sure your not on the bad fuel map.

Yeah, this is a first-year so that would make sense. I'll check under the seat when I get a chance... do you know offhand what I'm looking for? A version number or something? Thanks!

velocross posted:

I've got the cable if you want to try TuneEcu yourself. It's surprisingly easy. Otherwise your ktm dealer should be able to remap it for you, I know mine was pretty aware of the 690's bugs. I've played with my mapping about 4 times so far, just trying different things per the forums and probably have it set 95% good.

I used this link http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15358449&postcount=13 and this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctNjC_7HtjE .

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Seems high, weren't they near that price new? I might be wrong on that point, but that's a lot of dough for a bike that can be had down in the 6-7 range

Maybe the Atlanta market is just inflated. Honestly I was shocked to even find any 690's. I've looked on and off for two years for giggles and usually just see ktm dirt bikes or 690 Dukes.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 15, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That price is high. He'll get it, but it's high.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah, this is a first-year so that would make sense. I'll check under the seat when I get a chance... do you know offhand what I'm looking for? A version number or something? Thanks!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590814

Some good info there.

More on stalling: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687952

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coredump posted:

Maybe the Atlanta market is just inflated. Honestly I was shoved to even find any 690's. I've looked on and off for two years for giggles and usually just see ktm dirt bikes or 690 Dukes.

Yeah, when I was looking for a DRZ I had my eyes peeled for 690's a the same time, and I think one came up the whole time I was looking and was about 2K higher than what it should have been.

As far as I can tell, KTM sold about five 690's and they just circulate around occasionally being sold or crashed.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I sold my DRZ (and my other bikes) and moved to France. The roads here seem like they are going to be awesome for riding compared to most roads in Texas. Any particularly awesome sumos that are easier to find here than in the U.S. ?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Resource posted:

I sold my DRZ (and my other bikes) and moved to France. The roads here seem like they are going to be awesome for riding compared to most roads in Texas. Any particularly awesome sumos that are easier to find here than in the U.S. ?

Husaberg, Husqvarna, KTM, Gilera etc. and everything even vaguely supermoto-like from the major manufacturers are all available.

France is basically supermoto (supermotard) central, you'll be spoiled for choice.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 15, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Husaberg, Husqvarna, KTM, Gilera etc. and everything even vaguely supermoto-like from the major manufacturers are all available.

France is basically supermoto (supermotard) central, you'll be spoiled for choice.

This, all the euro manufacturers will have something that most of the rest of the world can't get. There are probably even good Japanese options if that's your taste. I seem to remember Honda offering a crf450sm from the factory to France. That was a while ago though.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So if I wanted to make my DRZ more livey (read: more wheelies) would going up in the back and down in the sprockets help?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Post Workout Peach posted:

So if I wanted to make my DRZ more livey (read: more wheelies) would going up in the back and down in the sprockets help?

Yes, but the further you go, the more power you get and the more top speed you lose. It's all a trade off.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The FCR39MX goes a long way towards making a stock DRZ more of a handful. Although it's not exactly super fun to tune the accelerator pump, and really requires an adjustable leak jet AP cover to get it right. First time you hammer second gear open makes it all worth it though. A buddy of mine went down a tooth on the front sprocket of his stock DRZ SM, and maybe up one tooth on the rear. He said it's really fun in the city, but he doesn't feel comfortable on the highway anymore. Sprockets aren't that expensive though so try it out and see if you like it.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Yerok posted:

The FCR39MX goes a long way towards making a stock DRZ more of a handful. Although it's not exactly super fun to tune the accelerator pump, and really requires an adjustable leak jet AP cover to get it right. First time you hammer second gear open makes it all worth it though. A buddy of mine went down a tooth on the front sprocket of his stock DRZ SM, and maybe up one tooth on the rear. He said it's really fun in the city, but he doesn't feel comfortable on the highway anymore. Sprockets aren't that expensive though so try it out and see if you like it.

Yeah they want 1/3 what i paid for my DRZ for one of those carbs though. What the hell, man!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on your DRZ and adding a $500 carb should be totally justifiable with some minor mental gymnastics. You can always take a chance on a used one as well.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Can you get a throttle w/ a shorter radius turn for the DRZ? That was the best mod I ever did for the SV I had ~10 years ago.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, epic sells one, as well as wheeling cycle, I believe

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jim, if Suzuki opens up a friendly customer service Twitter account for the DRZ, they should just hire you to manage it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just make a twitter bot that crawls my posts in this subforum.

Done deal.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Coredump posted:

Its this one:

Has he loving Armour All'd the tyres!? :ohdear:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Was hardly ridden"

He Armor All'd the tires like a goddamn retard and now it skids all over the place, so he's selling it because motorcycles are really dangerous, dontchaknow.

I will never understand people who buy awesome motorcycles, optionally mod the poo poo out of them and then never actually ride them. "Only 1000 miles on it, but I've put on an extended swingarm, 355 section rear tire, candycoat purple paintjob and 4 tons of chrome and now it handles like poo poo. $$$$$ invested and now I'm selling it at a massive loss".

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 16, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm passing that lo$$ on to you, the consumerrrrrrrr!!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hypothetical here. If one of you were going to make an offer on it, what would you offer?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

He could probably get 6500 right away I'd imagine. People know they're rare and seem to snap them up pretty quick at those prices from what I've seen.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

JP Money posted:

He could probably get 6500 right away I'd imagine. People know they're rare and seem to snap them up pretty quick at those prices from what I've seen.

So you'd offer $6500?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Honestly if I'm looking at a bike and the seller and I are that far away on price I won't even make an offer as it'll just piss them off. I'd probably want to pay 5500-6000 ideally and no more than 6500. That's a long, long way off from 8200 and would likely have him just ignore you and say no.

I have no idea what bike prices are like in your area though. 6500 could be the lowest one has ever sold for or it could be a total ripoff you just have to gauge it for yourself.

If you can find other listings / ebay completed sales / etc. that can convince him to drop that price you may be in luck but it's really hard to bargain with sellers that have a desirable and low mileage bike as someone is always going to be there right in line behind you with more money.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Yerok posted:

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on your DRZ and adding a $500 carb should be totally justifiable with some minor mental gymnastics. You can always take a chance on a used one as well.

I'm in the process of being "corporately downsized" so this would be like, the worst idea ever. That has never stopped me before, though...

:wotwot:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You can find FCR's for like 2-300 bucks on TT (or at least you could before they changed their forums around). They come stock on the E model. If you're willing to do some digging around you can save some cash. It is nice that the TT kit gives you all the parts you need at once though. I think they're like 600 bucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coredump posted:

Hypothetical here. If one of you were going to make an offer on it, what would you offer?

I'd go look at it, see if there's anything up with it, and probably offer around 7k. It probably needs tires, and a bunch of other crap from sittibg, so that can justify knocking the price lower. I'd also want maintenance records.

• Locked thread