Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Anyone do spritework for :tenbux:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
slugillustration@gmail.com
does pretty good sprite work for cheap. She did the Pele pretender sprite for me.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

There's a pixel-art thread in CC, some of the people in there are pretty amazing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Even in CBM, IIRC. 3 in CBM, 6 in AG, I think.

Here's your list of Pretenders for AG.

As soon as you feel like doing a final version of this, I'm going to start. And I'm on 24/7 on call duty for the next week, so I'm likely to have a fair bit of time sitting around hoping I don't get called.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Oh yeah, could you make Annuaki of Sweet Waters amphibious in AG? It's kind of weird being the lord of waters, but needing scuba gear to enter your domain.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

amuayse posted:

Oh yeah, could you make Annuaki of Sweet Waters amphibious in AG? It's kind of weird being the lord of waters, but needing scuba gear to enter your domain.

There are a lot of crazy things I need to remember, this is pretty low on my priority list. I mean, for one, I gotta remember to try out Summon Allies on a unique unit, so I can have a watery tart lob a sword at some dude and make him the once and future king.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

NinjaDebugger posted:

As soon as you feel like doing a final version of this, I'm going to start. And I'm on 24/7 on call duty for the next week, so I'm likely to have a fair bit of time sitting around hoping I don't get called.
Looks like all the names and ids are the same as before. Can't think of anything that's been added since 3.99g.

One thing worth noting is that it looks like the #montag command is broken at the moment, so any battle summons or whatever might need to wait until IW gets around to fixing it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is it possible to mod custom immunity to scales into a nation, like Abysia with Death scales? In particular, I'm interested in removing the income penalty from Turmoil.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is it possible to mod custom immunity to scales into a nation, like Abysia and Ulm with Death and Drain scales? In particular, I'm interested in removing the income penalty from Turmoil scales.
Doesn't look like it. Abysia's death immunity is a specific tag, #nodeathsupply, and Ulm isn't actually Drain immune, it just has some mages that are Drain immune (Black Priests notably aren't).

Altering Turmoil's effect on income would also mean affecting Order's affect on income due to the way scales are set up, so if you wanted to make it have zero direct affect on cashflow, it'd just make those scales about unrest reduction and event chances, plus which events can happen (which is also not moddable).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Altering Turmoil's effect on income would also mean affecting Order's affect on income due to the way scales are set up, so if you wanted to make it have zero direct affect on cashflow, it'd just make those scales about unrest reduction and event chances, plus which events can happen (which is also not moddable).

Right, I didn't want to alter the scale for everyone. I just want to mod Yomi to be less of a total clusterfuck of conflicting and anti-synergistic elements.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Right, I didn't want to alter the scale for everyone. I just want to mod Yomi to be less of a total clusterfuck of conflicting and anti-synergistic elements.
Change their #fortera to 1 (so their starting fort isn't a complete disaster and they can have Fortresses like all the other EA cool kids) and give them #spreadchaos 1. Won't change their own dominion, which you do kinda need in Order to afford anything, does mean that bordering enemy territory will move towards Turmoil 1 slowly.

Nobody really knows how powerful it is yet, because no vanilla nation has it as a tag, but it's there. You could go up to #spreadchaos 3, but that's probably a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Looks like all the names and ids are the same as before. Can't think of anything that's been added since 3.99g.

One thing worth noting is that it looks like the #montag command is broken at the moment, so any battle summons or whatever might need to wait until IW gets around to fixing it.

Works for me. Right now I'm wishing I could cause a commander to poof into being, but that seems to be not happening except via spells.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I got in touch with Slug for spritework. Thanks.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Your welcome. Good luck with those gnomes!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't late age Lemuria basically Ermor but even better?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

-Troika- posted:

Kinda sorta not really? Lemuria is entirely ethereal and has immortal mages, but their non-castle freespawn is actually completely useless for almost any purpose (they don't even make good arrow catchers; guys with shields survive better than naked ghosts) and their castle freespawn is generally pretty slow to generate. I believe their mages are also more expensive to summon.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

-Troika- posted:

It's really debatable. They have the same domkill, but different freespawn and different commander summons. I suppose it depends on who you're fighting if the spectral undead are better than the corporeal.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The spectral undead show up in much smaller numbers and are really fragile. Provinces without forts generate nothing but 1 hp dispossessed spirits unless you stick a temple in them to slowly accumulate ghosts, shades and shade beasts at a rate of about 1 per turn.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Their mages also seem very (very) expensive for the paths you get.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'd think the question would really come down to "are MA nations better equipped to fight tons of corporeal undead than LA nations are to fight some uncorporeal undead."

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You get so few of them that you regularly lose half or more of your army during expansion, much less what happens when a determined attacker decides to poo poo all over them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

I'd think the question would really come down to "are MA nations better equipped to fight tons of corporeal undead than LA nations are to fight some uncorporeal undead."
The answer to that question is emphatically "no".

Almost every nation in LA has non-StR H2+ and/or plenty of Death magic. There is one nation without that, and it's LA Pangaea, which is an awkward one for a whole bunch of reasons.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I wish I could bring aquatic troops onto land. Needing A/W to forge Amulet of the Fish is an absolute killer as well. :negative:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I gotta ask in here since nobody on the IRC channel who's around seems to know yet: Can Dom3 maps be used on Dom4? I'm thinking there's gotta be no changes, but does anyone know more than that?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Apoplexy posted:

I gotta ask in here since nobody on the IRC channel who's around seems to know yet: Can Dom3 maps be used on Dom4? I'm thinking there's gotta be no changes, but does anyone know more than that?

They should work fine but you'll have to edit the .map file if you want the temperature-specific provinces connections to work.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

I wish I could bring aquatic troops onto land. Needing A/W to forge Amulet of the Fish is an absolute killer as well. :negative:
Outside of EA R'lyeh, your UW mages have a pretty decent shot at being able to make an amulet and get on land.

- EA and MA Oceania, 100% of Sirens on land, and a 36%ish chance of A on Capricorns
- EA Pelagia has at least W1A1 on 25% of Mermages and Pearl Mages, MA Pelagia gets a 25% chance on Mermages and Pearl Mages, and about 58% on Triton Kings.
- Atlantian mages are all amphibious.

The only faction that really loses out mage-wise (and it really does lose out in a big way) is EA R'lyeh, but then they have a pretender chassis almost custom-made for rainbow forging with their Void Lurker.

You can also presume that CBM, if and when that hits, is going to bring back amphibious status to all of their non-triton units, even if this may in fact be an overcompensation.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

uPen posted:

They should work fine but you'll have to edit the .map file if you want the temperature-specific provinces connections to work.

Awesome, thanks! I doubt that'll be too necessary for right now, since I'm just doing single-player against AI while learning more about how to play right and what each nation is like. You know, the basics. :P

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The one problem with R'lyeh is the fact that they need the air gems and that their mind blasters/great magic leaders are aquatic only. On the other hand, hundreds of lobo guards can kill pretty much anything.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

The one problem with R'lyeh is the fact that they need the air gems...
Everyone needs all the gems always.

With air gems, land nations want to cast Storm, build the equipment that doesn't fatigue their non-undead thugs to fuckery, get underwater, boost income with Trade Winds, summon flying units to help them patrol, etc. etc.

Underwater, R'lyeh pretty much has one very specific and important need for A gems, which is getting their Mind Lords and Aboleths out of the sea with some amphibious troops. After that, sure, there's a whole bunch of other reasons. But until that point, you just need five of them per Amulet of the Fish.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Let's say I have a B9 bless, and I've also researched some Evocation. How do I script my mage-priests so they don't throw battle magic like idiots and die after they cast Blessing? I mean, I can keep them occupied for a few turns, but eventually they're going to run out of script. Do I just toss them in a corner of the map and hope the skirmish is out of range?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Lame answers: give them bows, retreat after blessing, win faster.
Real answer: the ones who can aim will be fine, the rest will stop drawing upkeep costs they don't deserve.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Evo first, bless later.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Superterranean posted:

Let's say I have a B9 bless, and I've also researched some Evocation. How do I script my mage-priests so they don't throw battle magic like idiots and die after they cast Blessing? I mean, I can keep them occupied for a few turns, but eventually they're going to run out of script. Do I just toss them in a corner of the map and hope the skirmish is out of range?

You can script them to stay behind troops instead of casting, but that seems a tad wasteful and might not work. Giving them bows and telling them to shoot isn't the best idea either, unless your sacreds happen to have shields.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is it possible to create an item that is a reverse Air Barrel? Or a global that makes all your aquatic dudes amphibious? Or a spell that converts land provinces into water?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Tulip posted:

Is it possible to create an item that is a reverse Air Barrel? Or a global that makes all your aquatic dudes amphibious? Or a spell that converts land provinces into water?

No. We have wanted this for a long time, and it's never existed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jesus, they crippled LA Agartha. Your one useful battlemage, who was already old, is now capital-only and StR. :psyduck:

A Dom4 version of CBM or similar can't come soon enough.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I guess maybe you could pray for Astral/Fire randoms on your servants of the oracles.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Dirk the Average posted:

You can script them to stay behind troops instead of casting, but that seems a tad wasteful and might not work. Giving them bows and telling them to shoot isn't the best idea either, unless your sacreds happen to have shields.

Stay Behind Troops lets them cast if they're in range.

Really, I just want to be able to be super lazy and toss a F2H3 priest of the sun in with my cloud of jag warriors for Divine Bless and walk away from the scripting window, but that doesn't work with B9 - the low precision on the F evocations means the mages just die. Oh well! I'll just have to go for a D bless instead, and get 20 extra HP on all the jags! (D9W9 or D9F9 are super strong IMO)

Master of None
Nov 4, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

Illwinter has released some manuals for dom 4, those can be found here: http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/. This includes a mapmaking manual that says the following about dom 3 maps.

Dom 4 mapmaking manual posted:

Dominions 3 maps are compatible with
Dominions 4 with certain reservations. Basic
terrain masks and other map commands are the
same, so those do not present a problem and
unscripted Dominions 3 maps can be used
without modification. They will not contain
mountain pass borders or river borders between
provinces, but otherwise there is no difference.

However, scripted Dominions 3 maps cannot be
used. The following objects have been modified
and have different numbers in Dominions 4 than
they had in Dominions 3:
    Nations
    Magic sites
    Forts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a big list of all the thrones anywhere?

• Locked thread