Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Edit: woops! Misclicked into the wrong thread.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Main wife Just made the most delicious granola and one if the best things I've eaten for ages:
http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2013/03/23/ginger-cashew-granola/

It's so loving good.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science, a free Harvard edx course, starts today!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

on this so hard

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Me too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ditto

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?
Welp I guess I'm backtoschool.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch
AP Chemistry and Calculus ahoy! It is beautiful already, though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

We could make a thread for it I guess? There are other sciencey foodlectures that are worth watching too. If someone doesn't yell at me I'm going to fail to complete just like every coursera course I do.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I recently bought some fish sauce, my gf said "ewww!", so now I've put it in everything the last week out of spite. She just asked me what I started to do to the food because it's so delicious.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

We could make a thread for it I guess? There are other sciencey foodlectures that are worth watching too. If someone doesn't yell at me I'm going to fail to complete just like every coursera course I do.

I'll shout at you if you like. How would something like this work: " Bad doggie! Bad! I told you not to eat that! Naughty dog!"? Or are you more the "You're a miserable worm and everyone despises you!" kind of guy?

BlueGrot posted:

I recently bought some fish sauce, my gf said "ewww!", so now I've put it in everything the last week out of spite. She just asked me what I started to do to the food because it's so delicious.

You're going to say cum, right?

therattle fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 9, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I tried it out a while back but it didn't interest me as much as I wish it did. It's more about using food to understand science than vice-versa. But I wish you luck! I'm actually really of the opinion that there's a ton of innovation to be made in making healthier desserts using modernist techniques. Like imagine getting gum ratios correct so that sugar substitute ice cream was equally pleasing in texture to normal ice cream. Or making a whey protein powder foam with the same texture of whipped cream.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

I tried it out a while back but it didn't interest me as much as I wish it did. It's more about using food to understand science than vice-versa. But I wish you luck! I'm actually really of the opinion that there's a ton of innovation to be made in making healthier desserts using modernist techniques. Like imagine getting gum ratios correct so that sugar substitute ice cream was equally pleasing in texture to normal ice cream. Or making a whey protein powder foam with the same texture of whipped cream.

gum ratios in sugar free ice cream is pretty well understood. Versawhip is the whipped cream solution.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

aaaand I'm done with that homework. Really not due until Nov 19? This class is gonna be hella easy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No Wave posted:

modernist techniques

I've been playing a freemium game on my phone, The Simpsons Tapped Out. Its sort of a SimSpringfield.

I just built a fancy restaurant called "El Chemistri". I found that amusing.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

GrAviTy84 posted:

aaaand I'm done with that homework. Really not due until Nov 19? This class is gonna be hella easy.

There's a buffer for the first few and then theyre due weekly.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I'm taking that edX course too. I'd be down for a dedicated thread if only for the fact that my "familiarity with high school level chemistry" is "I somehow managed not to fail high school chemistry."

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm giving it a shot. If it's over my head, at least I tried. :shobon: It sounds neat.

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm taking that edX course too. I'd be down for a dedicated thread if only for the fact that my "familiarity with high school level chemistry" is "I somehow managed not to fail high school chemistry."

All I remember from chemistry is "don't pour cold water in a hot glass". :ohdear:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

All I remember from chemistry is "don't pour cold water in a hot glass". :ohdear:

But that should be something you learned in physics.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

I had the same reaction. they stress it's for an entry level audience though... I'm just happy to hear mcgee talk about his own book at length. looking forward to all the lecturers. even if it's not that amazing learning wise, it'll be fun to watch for sure!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
wrong thread

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 10, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Test Pattern posted:

I am a practicing patent attorney, and even in the U.S.

You don't have PMs, and Ricola's mailbox is full!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

You don't have PMs, and Ricola's mailbox is full!

NO ITS NOT

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Gonna be in Vegas next week for my 1 year anniversary. What are things not to miss?

Edit: some things on the list so far rec'd by others:

Lotus of Siam
Raku
Jaleo
Public House
Wicked Spoon
Sticky Toffee Pudding @ Gordon Ramsay Steak

Was thinking Guy Savoy or Atelier de Joel Roubuchon but budget is gonna be a bit lower than expected so I'm taking recs for good fancy food (maybe tasting) but a bit more affordable.

and of course obligatory Fallout New Vegas environs visits because the wife and I are nerds

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 11, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

and just for lols, is there such thing as a good Vegas Buffet?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I hear the seafood-centric buffet at the Bellagio was good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wicked Spoon - is that not why it's on the list?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

Gonna be in Vegas next week for my 1 year anniversary. What are things not to miss?

Edit: some things on the list so far rec'd by others:

Lotus of Siam
Raku
Jaleo
Public House
Wicked Spoon
Sticky Toffee Pudding @ Gordon Ramsay Steak

Was thinking Guy Savoy or Atelier de Joel Roubuchon but budget is gonna be a bit lower than expected so I'm taking recs for good fancy food (maybe tasting) but a bit more affordable.

and of course obligatory Fallout New Vegas environs visits because the wife and I are nerds
Standard Lotus advice: Nam Kao Tod, Tom Kha Kai, duck panang. Khao Soi is one of the best noodle dishes you'll find anywhere. Koi Soi is a drat good Thai style beef tartare. If you want something really odd go for the raw shrimp dish or the crispy mussel omelet. Banq, the old sommelier, left to start his own place (see next paragraph) but their stable of wines - especially German Rieslings - is still the best wine value in town.

Banq's place is called Chada Thai and Wine. It's west of the Strip and well worth a trip. The approach to Thai cuisine is completely different from Lotus, more "modern" - there's not much fusion, per se, but they definitely pick up some techniques and ingredients and integrate them into the dishes in interesting ways. Of special note: Chili-Basil Century Egg, the dish that taught me to love an egg gone so bad it's good again. Also the Lo-Ba, a combo plate of fried pig's ear, tongue, and heart that really showcases the pig. They have a fermented fish curry that's new to the menu and I thought was interesting, though I probably wouldn't order it again.

The night you do Raku, also do Sweets Raku. It's in the same shopping center as Raku, by the same owner with a dedicated pastry chef. They do a 4-course dessert tasting menu that is fantastic. They emphasize textural contrasts and intensity of flavors, but it's all relatively light. Even after a multi-course Raku you should try to make room for Sweets Raku. Walk straight out of Raku's front door, past a lovely noodle place and a smoke shop, and look for the four foot tall silver spoon on the wall inscribed "RAKU" in tiny, impossible to spot letters. This shopping center also features Monta - the best ramen place in town - and Korean Delicious Restaurant, which isn't and should be avoided.

If you want an on-Strip beer experience I suppose Public House is your best option, but be prepared to pay out the nose. Otherwise you could hop a cab to Aces and Ales and pay for your ride with the savings of buying three pints. They have two locations now - one in the northwest on Tenaya, one in the east on Nellis. I prefer the Nellis location because the kitchen has better food and the bartenders are pretty knowledgeable and love me. Tenaya's location has about twice as many taps, so if you want beer selection you may want to go there instead. If you want more budget-friendly consider heading to the Monte Carlo to hit The Pub - they have good things on tap and in bottle and a decent food menu. Be warned, though: they have wrought an unholy chimera of bad entertainment - weekend nights feature "duelling piano karaoke," which is exactly as horrible as it sounds. Thankfully they have patio seating and the weather this time of year makes that a viable option if you value your hearing.

I'm still a fan of Bouchon's brunch. It's also fun going there between meals, you can sit at the bar and order small plates while drinking through a decent stable of beers or a very good bunch of wines. The marinaded olives are the best deal on the menu, $6 for a big pile of fantastic olives of all colors.

Consider Picasso for the splurge night, though I can't say anything bad about Guy Savoy or Atelier either.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wicked Spoon is a buffet and probably the best of the bunch. Caesar's Palace redid their buffet this year and it rivals Wicked Spoon in quality, but I still prefer the Spoon for ease of access (Cosmopolitan is way less labyrinthine), price point (slightly less than Caesar's, but still high for a buffet), and service space (smaller, quieter, easier to get to everything you want). Oh, and bone marrow. Caesar's doesn't have bone marrow.

Also, depending on the duration of your trip, you might be in town for the best pork event in all of creation.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 12, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Shiner Holiday Cheer is on shelves! Time to get my Christmas beer on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anthony Bourdain visiting Noma in Copenhagen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCP4GFvF0P4

Rene Redzepi is a really interesting guy. He only uses local ingredients and puts extreme effort into making them edible and delicious (nixtamalizing moss and lichen to remove their bitterness for example). He experiments with fermenting and molding and mummifying meats and then posts his discoveries on a food lab website for the public for free.

http://nordicfoodlab.org/

edit: VVV Okay I found your post about it and other people discussing Redzepi already

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 13, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Rene Redzepi is a really interesting guy. He only uses local ingredients and puts extreme effort into making them edible and delicious (nixtamalizing moss and lichen to remove their bitterness for example). He experiments with fermenting and molding and mummifying meats and then posts his discoveries on a food lab website for the public for free.

http://nordicfoodlab.org/

I started producing a documentary on Noma but dropped it; creative differences with the director.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Steve Yun posted:

Rene Redzepi is also featured in an episode of David Chang's show Mind of a Chef (entitled, appropriately enough, "Rene"). It's on Netflix if people are interested.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

ChetReckless posted:

Rene Redzepi is also featured in an episode of David Chang's show Mind of a Chef (entitled, appropriately enough, "Rene"). It's on Netflix if people are interested.

Yeah, when Tony went there, I had a "oh hey I know that guy" moment.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Thanks for the Vegas recs everyone, esp bart. Anyone have any good awesome food hole in the wall recs too? Local favs. Etc. Imma go poor if all I ate this week was super food destination places.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There's a lovely hotel (Holiday Inn or something I can't remember, also has a very gaudy wedding chapel) past the strip but not quite to Fremont that has a Cuban restaurant that is much better than it looks like it should be.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Thanks for the Vegas recs everyone, esp bart. Anyone have any good awesome food hole in the wall recs too? Local favs. Etc. Imma go poor if all I ate this week was super food destination places.

When my wife and I went this summer, we ended up eating at Taco el Gordo, towards stratosphere, right after encore (https://plus.google.com/111072676524582993924/about?gl=us&hl=en). They have great taco al pastor (ask for pineapple), and other tacos with all the weird nasty bits, cheap stuff, fun place. Be sure to ask for the grilled peppers and onions. I don't know if it is my east-coastedness which made me love the mexican food over in the southwest so much, but I thought it was drat good. Oh, they are also open really late which is nice when your sick of the busy vegas environment.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's a chain, but I legit enjoyed hash house a go go for breakfast. We do it once every year when we go.

Today was Canadian Thanksgiving, and I cooked for us and two other couples. Man, butterflying a turkey is the way to go. gently caress brining, it cooked perfectly to temp in 70 minutes at 450 with a nice browning all over the skin. And it only took like 10 minutes to prep.

Not quite the prettiest bird, perhaps, but it's the first turkey I've cooked in many years:

Also did Keller's potato pave, which is finicky, but totally worth it, I think (thanks FGR for the mandoline, still using it all the time).

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 15, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I burned a lot of rotini in a tri-ply stock pot last night.

1) There's some yellow residue on the outside base of the pot. Will this go away over time?

2) I was able to remove most of the burned reside and there's just a smattering of spots on the inside bottom of the pot. Should I try to get rid of them now or will they also go away over time?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

I burned a lot of rotini in a tri-ply stock pot last night.

1) There's some yellow residue on the outside base of the pot. Will this go away over time?

2) I was able to remove most of the burned reside and there's just a smattering of spots on the inside bottom of the pot. Should I try to get rid of them now or will they also go away over time?

1. no probably not, I'm guessing its burnt oily residue. use steel wool and barkeepers friend, you can try engine degreaser if that doesn't work.

2. again assuming we're talking stainless, use steel wool and barkeepers friend. you'll get the spots up eventually, but they should go away over time as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm super excited, flying to DC to go to Minibar this saturday for my burrfday.

I know DC has lots of great restaurants, I've been several times over the last couple years, but any of you have any specific recommendations? I can't remember if any of the regulars actually live in DC...

also I guess looking for off the beaten track fun things to do, since apparently THE ENTIRE loving GOVERNMENT IS CLOSED