Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

If you are into weird Andy Warhol stuff, Blood for Dracula is fun as hell. The one we really sat down to watch was Flesh for Frankenstein, but unfortunately it was the heavily edited version for some reason. The shots were cropped so close to hide the nudity/violence that it was unwatchable.
I turned on Flesh for Frankenstein because of this thread, hoping for copious amounts of sex and violence. When I saw horrible, cropped edits, I turned it off after about 20 minutes. Is Blood for Dracula not as horribly edited?

Also because of this thread, I watched:

The Bleeding House. Three stars. Basically a creepy drifter visits a creepy family. Overall good atmosphere (creepy), and I really enjoyed following along to see what would happen. I wasn't too vested in the characters though -- I only really liked the son, and so when he wasn't in danger there wasn't much tension.

Hellraiser III. Two stars. I really love the first Hellraiser. Definitely one of my favorite horror movies. The second one is less awesome because while I enjoyed the exploration into the other world, it reduced the Cenobites from being real forces of nature -- simply just existing as they whirl through realities, all in pursuit of extreme sensation -- into ordinary folks with ordinary problems who stumbled across a fancy box. This one further mangled what the Cenobites are, which is fine (it doesn't "mess" with the original version in the first Hellraiser), but uninteresting. Hilarious early 90s Cenobite designs were on full display, however, which was worth a few chuckles. I plan on plowing through the remaining Hellraiser movies, fully expecting similar standard fare.

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight. Three stars. Whoever said to watch this to see Billy Zane just chewing scenery and really enjoying himself was on the mark. Just a fun little movie about battling demons.

The Haunted World of El Superbeasto. One star. Holy poo poo this was boring. Do not watch.

Solomon Kane. Three stars. If you enjoy high-fantasy stories with some dark elements, this will be your thing. If not, you probably won't get much out of it.

It's a Disaster. Four stars. I really enjoy stories that combine a commonly explored Situation A with commonly explored Situation B, but Situation A and Situation B aren't really known for being mixed together. Here, Situation A is "a movie dissecting various relationships that are in different stages" and Situation B is "an end of the world movie." It's an interesting premise and the execution is done pretty well. I enjoyed seeing both Julia Stiles (didn't realize she was still acting) and Davis Cross doing a film that it looked like they had fun making.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. Four stars. This is all of those 80s horror movie flicks from the perspective of the hillbilly rednecks, who are really just misunderstood by the out-of-towners! Pretty fun and funny stuff. Plus: Alan Tudyk!

The Brass Teapot. Three stars. An interesting little film about a teapot that shells out cash whenever someone around it feels pain. Nothing spectacular, but if the premise sounds intriguing then you'll enjoy the film. I also liked June Temple and Michael Angarano as a couple -- I thought they fit really well together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

precision posted:

By the end of Trailer Park Boys/the films, it's basically become some kind of working class David Lynch web of insanity and hilarity. Season 1 is pretty boring, honestly, but it helps set up the tone before it breaks it.

I watched Tokyo Night (thanks, thread) and it definitely is better than any of the American Paranormal Activity movies.

Where'd you find this? I tried typing Tokyo Night into netflix and it's not anywhere in the streaming [US] or available on disk?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Green Crayons posted:

It's a Disaster. Four stars. I really enjoy stories that combine a commonly explored Situation A with commonly explored Situation B, but Situation A and Situation B aren't really known for being mixed together. Here, Situation A is "a movie dissecting various relationships that are in different stages" and Situation B is "an end of the world movie." It's an interesting premise and the execution is done pretty well. I enjoyed seeing both Julia Stiles (didn't realize she was still acting) and Davis Cross doing a film that it looked like they had fun making.

I really liked that film, especially since it just kept getting better as it went on, especially in the last half hour.

Bedurndurn posted:

Where'd you find this? I tried typing Tokyo Night into netflix and it's not anywhere in the streaming [US] or available on disk?

Oh, I didn't mean to imply it was on Netflix, sorry - people were just talking about Paranormal Activity earlier and I had never heard of Tokyo Night so I grabbed a copy.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Bedurndurn posted:

The best I could find is a version on Youtube with awful subtitles and audio that lags a full second behind the video. Had to settle for watching Paranormal Activity 3, which didn't scare me a whole lot but used its oscillating fan gimmick to set up some really interesting scenes.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Green Crayons posted:

Hellraiser III. Two stars. I really love the first Hellraiser. Definitely one of my favorite horror movies. The second one is less awesome because while I enjoyed the exploration into the other world, it reduced the Cenobites from being real forces of nature -- simply just existing as they whirl through realities, all in pursuit of extreme sensation -- into ordinary folks with ordinary problems who stumbled across a fancy box. This one further mangled what the Cenobites are, which is fine (it doesn't "mess" with the original version in the first Hellraiser), but uninteresting. Hilarious early 90s Cenobite designs were on full display, however, which was worth a few chuckles. I plan on plowing through the remaining Hellraiser movies, fully expecting similar standard fare.

Nice to see a fellow marathoner. One thing I can say about the film is that I absolutely loved how Pinhead acted in the church. He becomes the biggest :reddit: atheist and it's just great. A transcendent being just being a total dick to some random priest. I do think there really was something interesting in the ending though as it really reminded me of Uzumaki by Junji Ito. A geometric or abstract concept buried beneath the earth that has a corruptive effect on the places and people surrounding it. Same goes for the idea of Great War veterans embracing a destructive hedonism just to feel something again. I'd have loved to see these explored more but nope.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Which one's the one with "CD Player Head" or whatever

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Transistor Rhythm posted:

3rd one from what I remember, it had some hilarious Cenobite designs. Dammit Netflix why is the first one in fullscreen aspect ratio :(

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Green Crayons posted:

Solomon Kane. Three stars. If you enjoy high-fantasy stories with some dark elements, this will be your thing. If not, you probably won't get much out of it.

I've had my eye on this for a while, every time I scroll past it I think it sounds stupidly awesome in a Conan the Barbarian way, but the fact that I've never heard anyone mention it does not bode well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm mad into my corny fantasy and I love the main character but Solomon Kane is pretty dull.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Jesses kills Walter

Haven't finished the series yet. Thanks a loving lot.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Haven't finished the series yet. Thanks a loving lot.
It's not a real spoiler. Calm down.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Or maybe it actually is, the only way to know is to watch and find out :aaaaa:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Don't forget his best pal Camera Eye!

:smugdog:
I don't remember the thing to the right at all. Is he holding a coffee grinder?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

david_a posted:

Don't forget his best pal Camera Eye!

:smugdog:
I don't remember the thing to the right at all. Is he holding a coffee grinder?

I poo poo you not, that's a cocktail shaker.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Anonymous Robot posted:

"WE HAVE SUCH DRINKS TO MIX YOU!!!!"

"YOUR HANGOVER WILL BE LEGENDARY...EVEN IN HELL!!!!'

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Jesses kills Walter in a dance-off

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm probably the last person in the internet to see Adventure Time and I've been binging on the Season 1 on Netflix. Pretty good show, and a lot of avatars make a lot more sense.

I started watching because I heard how it had the whole subtle post-apocalyptic backstory :haw:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Not bloody likely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVq_4BA5DQ

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

priznat posted:

I'm probably the last person in the internet to see Adventure Time and I've been binging on the Season 1 on Netflix. Pretty good show, and a lot of avatars make a lot more sense.

I started watching because I heard how it had the whole subtle post-apocalyptic backstory :haw:
I couldn't really get into that show... A couple of the episodes I saw were good, but overall it felt a bit too much like a kid's show compared to something like Regular Show (I don't see how any kid could get half the jokes they make). I would have loved this show if I saw it as a child, but now it just made me feel old :(

However, I think we can all agree that Netflix should add more seasons for Cartoon Network shows :argh:

david_a fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 15, 2013

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Green Crayons posted:

I turned on Flesh for Frankenstein because of this thread, hoping for copious amounts of sex and violence. When I saw horrible, cropped edits, I turned it off after about 20 minutes. Is Blood for Dracula not as horribly edited?

Blood for Dracula appeared to not be edited, but I have never seen another version.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Ok good. I had done so well avoiding spoilers til now and I was going to be livid if I just had it ruined for me like that.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

priznat posted:

It gets much, much better. I'm watching the first season for the first time since it was on TV, and it's a very different shot now. It grows in a really interesting and organic way, without losing the joy and genuine excitement for everything the show has in its first season.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SRM posted:

It gets much, much better. I'm watching the first season for the first time since it was on TV, and it's a very different shot now. It grows in a really interesting and organic way, without losing the joy and genuine excitement for everything the show has in its first season.

It seems whenever I did catch it on tv here (one of the Canadian cable channels had it, we didn't get Cartoon Network for quite a while) the episode was always set in the candy kingdom,so I thought that was the show. Even in S1 it sure branches out a lot more!

Watching Room 237 now.. I almost feel a twinge of embarrassment for some some of the interviewees and their cuckoo theories. Minotaurs!

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hahahahahahahahah oh man, I have to go watch this now.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Red Machine- did I watch dinner theater on film? I don't want to dig up Ebert already but he gave this lifeless film 3 and half stars. " -is a lean, intense thriller"RB. I would recommend Charlie Chan movies over this for 40s era thrillers.

On Top of the Lake-Great acting thanks for the reccomendations on this one. Shame about the ton of unresolved plot points. And that ending...

Transatlantic Tunnel-Slow dull story with a heap of schlock Sci Fi and some neat sets. Always fun to see people standing inside control panels to give the illusion of video phones.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I may be emotionally broken. I'm halfway through Movie 43 and so far I've laughed out loud at least once at every sketch. It's just so loving earnestly absurd and honestly for what it is the writing is decent and the acting is superb. It's like a giant gently caress you to the entire Hollywood system.

Meanwhile I saw inAPPropriate Comedy and wanted to die for every second of its run-time. No, that's not true, I wanted Vince Offer to die. Horrifically and painfully.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They have "Don't Stop Believing" up, which is about the Filipino guy that Journey found on YouTube and made their lead singer. Not bad, lots of Journey songs. A little overly long, and they jump around a bit time wise with no real structure. And the band cooperated, so it isn't hard hitting or anything. But a fun way to spend 90 minutes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

smackfu posted:

They have "Don't Stop Believing" up, which is about the Filipino guy that Journey found on YouTube and made their lead singer. Not bad, lots of Journey songs. A little overly long, and they jump around a bit time wise with no real structure. And the band cooperated, so it isn't hard hitting or anything. But a fun way to spend 90 minutes.

That kinda makes me think there is a good documentary to be had about singers being depressed about not being able to hit high notes anymore, they could interview Sting and Mariah Carey and whoever else.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Flython posted:

Nice to see a fellow marathoner. One thing I can say about the film is that I absolutely loved how Pinhead acted in the church. He becomes the biggest :reddit: atheist and it's just great. A transcendent being just being a total dick to some random priest. I do think there really was something interesting in the ending though as it really reminded me of Uzumaki by Junji Ito. A geometric or abstract concept buried beneath the earth that has a corruptive effect on the places and people surrounding it. Same goes for the idea of Great War veterans embracing a destructive hedonism just to feel something again. I'd have loved to see these explored more but nope.
Pinhead in the church was just so incredibly silly I might have broken my face from the number of eyerolls I experienced. I also had a "hunh, that's neat" reaction to the end, but it was literally just one shot that lasted something like 30 seconds. Ah well.

But, yeah. Hellraiser III is amusing to see really silly bad guy designs. It may have been because I was distracted at the time, but I didn't make the connection that the Cenobite with the cocktail shaker was, well, the once-normal guy we had previously seen with the cocktail shaker. (I didn't actually spot the cocktail shaker during my viewing.) I thought he was just some random guy that showed up and decided to cough up fire. Now knowing the real back story, I see that there isn't really a big difference between what I thought and what the writers decided to tell us (or not tell us, as is the case here).

Also, I don't recall what it was rated, but apparently they really didn't want to show female nipples -- which I'm assuming was a ratings thing. So instead we got a still fairly graphic sex scene but with a dude constantly massaging the gently caress out of some boobs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

smackfu posted:

Not a Journey fan but I also found this to be a really weird/interesting documentary.

True story, one time I went to a record store to buy a CD the day it came out (hahaha, I'm old, I know) and a bunch of people were lined up, turns out they were there to get Journey tickets, and a guy came out and yelled "I WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW - STEVE PERRY WILL NOT BE SINGING FOR JOuRNEY" and literally over half the people just walked away.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
Alamo Drafthouse (famed Texas based movie theater chain) has a film distributing division called Drafthouse Films. They have already purchased a few films in the past and now you can watch some of them on Netflix as of today!

http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/five-drafthouse-films-titles-hit-netflix-instant-today

A BAND CALLED DEATH
dir. Mark Christopher Covino, Jeff Howlett

A warm, poignant documentary that follows three teen brothers from Detroit who founded Death, the first black punk band, in the 1970s.

GRACELAND
dir. Ron Morales

A riveting, stomach-knotting thriller about the chauffeur to a corrupt Filipino politician whose own daughter is taken in a kidnapping attempt meant for the politician's daughter.

PIETA
dir. Ki-duk Kim

A merciless debt collector lives his life in cold proficiency until a woman claiming to be his mother arrives and he begins to regret his dark past in this powerful, unrelenting drama.

WAKE IN FRIGHT
dir. Ted Kotcheff

Drafthouse Films revived this brutal, operatic masterpiece from the '70s about life and violence in the Outback.

WRONG
dir. Quentin Dupieux

The latest winningly absurd riot from Dupieux, in which a schmuck wakes to discover he's lost the one good thing in his life: his dog, Paul.

I'm definitely going to watch all of them at one point.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

MeaningOfLife posted:

WRONG
dir. Quentin Dupieux

The latest winningly absurd riot from Dupieux, in which a schmuck wakes to discover he's lost the one good thing in his life: his dog, Paul.

This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. It's trying way too hard to be like a Charlie Kaufman or David Lynch movie but has none of the underlying dream logic or symbolism or characters or writing to hold it together, so it's just 94 minutes of forced quirky dialogue and strange things happening for the sake of strangeness.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wake in Fright is really loving great, although it does contain some pretty grueling scenes of animal cruelty.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. It's trying way too hard to be like a Charlie Kaufman or David Lynch movie but has none of the underlying dream logic or symbolism or characters or writing to hold it together, so it's just 94 minutes of forced quirky dialogue and strange things happening for the sake of strangeness.

By the guy who made Rubber right? That's a real shame, I was hoping it would be a good little watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wake In Fright is a masterpiece.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A Band Called Death is also supremely entertaining. I'm so glad they did this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wake In Fright is a masterpiece.

Somehow I'm only just now finding out it's directed by the same guy who did First Blood. Pretty wild.

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013

Green Crayons posted:

Pinhead in the church was just so incredibly silly I might have broken my face from the number of eyerolls I experienced. I also had a "hunh, that's neat" reaction to the end, but it was literally just one shot that lasted something like 30 seconds. Ah well.

But, yeah. Hellraiser III is amusing to see really silly bad guy designs. It may have been because I was distracted at the time, but I didn't make the connection that the Cenobite with the cocktail shaker was, well, the once-normal guy we had previously seen with the cocktail shaker.

I thought Hellraiser III was terrible. The new Cenobites and their transformations made absolutely no sense compared to the first two films.

I & II Cenobites = People who opened the puzzle box and were transformed into something related to their fears, desires, etc.

III Cenobites = "I am Pinhead of Borg. You will be assimilated based on what your current job is, or what you just happen to be holding at the time!"

I really liked Hellraiser 4 and its attempts to tie up loose ends, and the transforming space station was pretty cool. I didn't bother with any of the films past the 4th.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Grillburg posted:

I didn't bother with any of the films past the 4th.
5 (Inferno) isn't bad; I remember it being better than either 3 or 4. It doesn't do anything to try to move the grand Hellraiser story/mythology along which is probably a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

david_a posted:

5 (Inferno) isn't bad; I remember it being better than either 3 or 4. It doesn't do anything to try to move the grand Hellraiser story/mythology along which is probably a good thing.

That Hellraiser podcast that's been going around has been very vindicating for me because I just got to the Hellraiser: Inferno episode and they were both just as mystified as I was that that film has any sort of positive cult internet following. It's really loving bad.

• Locked thread