Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

XkyRauh posted:

Sollux did have some weird unexplained vacillation between redrom and blackrom when confronting what he thought was Gamzee, though.

I'm pretty sure he was asking about Karkat's feelings. Or trying to.

Bobulus posted:

I assumed the joke there was that Sollux felt TWO things.

Also probably that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bobulus posted:

So the Namco High stuff that Hussie is working on updated. But it won't matter to me unless I can date the ship from Galaga. :colbert:

http://namcohigh.com/

fakeedit:

Well played, Andrew Hussie.

If Solaire of Astora isn't included in this, the internet might explode. More than usual, I mean.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Equius wasn't trying to kill Gamzee, though. He just wanted to talk him down. Equius and Karkat are the only two trolls to have not attempted murder.

What a coincidence, since they are the two best trolls!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
A person on Facebook was wondering whether Sollux would have theoretically been able to die as a godtier on another quest bed and become "supergodtier" because he had two dreamselves. And then they got lovely with me for pointing out the various reasons why that obviously wouldn't happen.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That was already addressed by Hussie.

Both dreamselves would have gone Godtier and they would have fought each other to the death.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Sollux? He never had violent moments outside of self-defense or getting his brain hijacked.

Sollux did that duel with Eridan with deadly lasers.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Wasn't it Eridan that challenged him in the first place with his "magic wand"? I think the point isn't so much that he never participated in a violent moment, as much as he doesn't seem to have ever been the aggressor when he did participate.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Wasn't it Eridan that challenged him in the first place with his "magic wand"? I think the point isn't so much that he never participated in a violent moment, as much as he doesn't seem to have ever been the aggressor when he did participate.
No. Feferi and Sollux challenged Eridan.

ERIDAN: servvin under jack together wwell be unstoppable and our anemones wwill tremble before us wwhat do you say
FEFERI: NO. You )(ave lost ALL RIG)(T to use fis)( puns FOR-EV-ER. I revoke your fis)( punning license, as w)(ale as our fronds)(ip!
ERIDAN: don’t take that tuna vvoice wwith me princess
FEFERI: W)(AT T)(-E gently caress DID I JUST SAY???
FEFERI: T)(at’s it. T)(is makes me sad, -Eridan, but now we )(ave to stop you. We can’t let you find Jack and risk you leading )(im to us.
ERIDAN: so thats how it is is it
SOLLUX: 2he’2 riight, man. can’t beliieve thii2, ii wa2 lookiing forward two a nap two.
SOLLUX: ii 2hould have kiilled you on lobaf when ii had the chance.
SOLLUX: oh well, gue22 iit’2 only fiittiing ii’d take you down iin ROUND TWO.
SOLLUX: you ready, priince?
ERIDAN: bring it mage

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Spellman posted:

No. Feferi and Sollux challenged Eridan.

ERIDAN: servvin under jack together wwell be unstoppable and our anemones wwill tremble before us wwhat do you say
FEFERI: NO. You )(ave lost ALL RIG)(T to use fis)( puns FOR-EV-ER. I revoke your fis)( punning license, as w)(ale as our fronds)(ip!
ERIDAN: don’t take that tuna vvoice wwith me princess
FEFERI: W)(AT T)(-E gently caress DID I JUST SAY???
FEFERI: T)(at’s it. T)(is makes me sad, -Eridan, but now we )(ave to stop you. We can’t let you find Jack and risk you leading )(im to us.
ERIDAN: so thats how it is is it
SOLLUX: 2he’2 riight, man. can’t beliieve thii2, ii wa2 lookiing forward two a nap two.
SOLLUX: ii 2hould have kiilled you on lobaf when ii had the chance.
SOLLUX: oh well, gue22 iit’2 only fiittiing ii’d take you down iin ROUND TWO.
SOLLUX: you ready, priince?
ERIDAN: bring it mage

In their defence, he WAS kind of about to sell them out to Jack. If anything deserves a good beatdown it's selling out your friends to a guy that will totally murder them.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Slime posted:

In their defence, he WAS kind of about to sell them out to Jack. If anything deserves a good beatdown it's selling out your friends to a guy that will totally murder them.

Eridan was just ahead of his time... and completely unable to communicate important ideas or lead in any meaningful fashion. Angels are way more dangerous than Jack and Tall White Jack, who no one is really cares about any more. But rather than explain his reasoning and try to work with the others to come to a new plan, he unilaterally declared a new plan and, when threatened with death, stopped talking and started blasting.

Of course, at that point everyone had stopped listening to him because of all the creepy romance.

Long story short, the trolls were all super bad at Sgrub.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Eridan was just ahead of his time... and completely unable to communicate important ideas or lead in any meaningful fashion. Angels are way more dangerous than Jack and Tall White Jack, who no one is really cares about any more. But rather than explain his reasoning and try to work with the others to come to a new plan, he unilaterally declared a new plan and, when threatened with death, stopped talking and started blasting.

Of course, at that point everyone had stopped listening to him because of all the creepy romance.

Long story short, the trolls were all super bad at Sgrub.

I find it funny how Karkat measures up to Eridan. Both really want attention, to be important to their peers, and be leader but go about things in completely different ways. Karkat's just perpetually weaker than everyone else, his first reaction is to immediately go to someone else for help, and actually has some decent communication skills if it wasn't for the fact that he's too easy to make fun of at times. Meanwhile Eridan's all combat superiority all the time, tries to make waves on his own, and is absolutely loving poo poo at talking to people. If things had gone slightly different with Eridan, he could have been totally prepared at the start of the story to be leader.

But then that's the summary of everyone in this comic, just a bit different would have gone a long way.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Mystic Mongol posted:

Eridan was just ahead of his time... and completely unable to communicate important ideas or lead in any meaningful fashion. Angels are way more dangerous than Jack and Tall White Jack, who no one is really cares about any more.

The session-wrecking score between Jack and the angels stands at 2-0, so I'm not sure how they're more dangerous. Plus, Eridan was able to kill them pretty regularly.

Anyway, I still care about Jack 1 and Jack 2. :colbert:

EmperorFritoBandito fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 14, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ramos posted:

I find it funny how Karkat measures up to Eridan. Both really want attention, to be important to their peers, and be leader but go about things in completely different ways. Karkat's just perpetually weaker than everyone else, his first reaction is to immediately go to someone else for help, and actually has some decent communication skills if it wasn't for the fact that he's too easy to make fun of at times. Meanwhile Eridan's all combat superiority all the time, tries to make waves on his own, and is absolutely loving poo poo at talking to people. If things had gone slightly different with Eridan, he could have been totally prepared at the start of the story to be leader.

But then that's the summary of everyone in this comic, just a bit different would have gone a long way.

Lest we forget the dead god tier Eridan and Feferi who showed up to help the mayor, who apparently got their poo poo together and were thusly doomed. Dude was set up to fail by paradox space, which is a little tragic in the literary sense.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Well, there's also the first time Eridan and Sollux fought, during the "Make her pay" flash.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ingenium posted:

It is actually goddamn amazing for a wrestling video game.

I can't be the only one wanting to know more. What it's called?

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Lizard Wizard posted:

I can't be the only one wanting to know more. What it's called?

Backyard Wrestling

Another Otter
May 14, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, just put the guy in a chair and hook 'im up to some sopor slime IV therapy.

Alternatively just kill that goddamn clown already.

On that note, am I the only one who's brought up the fact that Gamzee's text has flipped back to his original style of alternating caps? Either Aranea made him eat some pie, it took a while for his personalities to separate after regaining control or he delibratley chose that dialect to remind Terezi of their past/his previous, mellow behavoir.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Another Otter posted:

or he delibratley chose that dialect to remind Terezi of their past/his previous, mellow behavoir.

I know it's a one-sided beatdown, but considering that Gamzee just now snapped out of mind control to find himself full of stab-wounds, I don't know how anyone can argue that it was premeditated.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 14, 2013

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Lizard Wizard posted:

I know it's a one-sided beatdown, but considering that Gamzee just now snapped out of mind control to find himself full of stab-wounds, I don't know how anyone can argue that it was premeditated.

I don't think anybody is arguing it's premeditated, they're just saying it's malicious improvisation.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

I don't think anybody is arguing it's premeditated, they're just saying it's malicious improvisation.

Or maybe he was in some kind of shock from being stabbed a fuckload of times before flying off the loving handle? Rage is his aspect, I don't know why there needs to be another explanation.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 14, 2013

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's pretty obvious it's malicious deliberate emotional manipulation to the point that you are the only one on the internet who's thought otherwise.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do you have the memory of a goldfish, Lizard?

If so, I am sorry for your goldfish memory and will remind you that this topic is about Gamzee being a fuckhead.

Also I will remind you for however long your tragically aquatic themed memory retains it, what Gamzee did upon being released from Mind Control THE FIRST TIME. Namely, flip the gently caress out immediately without any delay.

Dude's a horrible monster clown. End of discussion.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Burkion posted:

If so, I am sorry for your goldfish memory and will remind you that this topic is about Gamzee being a fuckhead.

Also I will remind you for however long your tragically aquatic themed memory retains it, what Gamzee did upon being released from Mind Control THE FIRST TIME. Namely, flip the gently caress out immediately without any delay.

Wow, Gamzeechat really is the new Vriskachat.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Burkion posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=007886

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

But seriously, in the end with clowns you never know what they're up to, and they're always scheming in the shadows, and it's quite possible that whatever master plan they're hatching just doesn't make the slightest bit of sense at all.

It could totally turn out that when he's being violent he's literally out of his mind with insane juggalo bard of rage poo poo rather than being consciously violent or evil.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Burkion posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008456

I think you'll find that, upon being released from mind control (which is not a proper noun, by the way) the first time, he proceeded to COMPLIMENT THE FIRST THING HE SAW without delay. :smug:

team overhead smash posted:

It could totally turn out that when he's being violent he's literally out of his mind with insane juggalo bard of rage poo poo rather than being consciously violent or evil.

YES, THANK YOU. Occam's razor, people.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 15, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am slightly relieved and satisfied to find that my position w/r/t classical Vriskachat ("Vriska is a douche and stop defending her plz") is completely unchanged when the principles of Vriskachat are applied to a character I'd previously really liked.

I'm on the record as saying that pie-high Gamzee was The Best Character, and immediately-post-pie Gamzee was still a solid contender for the spot, but at this point he's a douche and barely entertaining and I feel no particular compulsion to keep defending him. Hooray I'm consistent :toot:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Current Gamzee is an infuriating rear end in a top hat, but at least he's miles and miles more interesting than he was when he was introduced. Act 5.1 Gamzee was a one-note stoner joke written by a guy who admits to having never done drugs - and if there's one thing less funny than stoner humor, its stoner humor written by total loving squares.

That being said, someone needs to hurry up and rip his lungs out already.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

The obvious answer is that Hussie needs to do a pile of drugs and then start writing dialogue for a Gamzee who I actually like.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Homestuck is meandering enough without being written to sync up with Dark Side of the Moon.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Gamzee's Act 5-1 dialog should've been co-written by the ICP during their peak in popularity in the late 90s/early 00's, and Act 5-2 Gamzee after 2002.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Seoinin posted:

Homestuck is meandering enough without being written to sync up with Dark Side of the Moon.

Respectfully disagree. :colbert:

Yeah, I'll freely admit pie-high Gamzee wasn't interesting as a character because he didn't have a whole lot of agency or even a real arc; this is true. I guess I'm just into low-concept humor enough that I always found him hilarious anyway :shrug:

Now the comic-relief aspects of his character have been dialed way the hell down and the force-of-nature unstoppable villain aspects have been dialed way the hell up and he's basically Jack Noir Lite (if a bit closer to NE than CE (:goonsay:)), which is just kinda boring.

(also I was just looking back at old posts for some reason and I still think we could really benefit from a Yakety-Sax-style remix of Beatdown)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Pie-high Gamzee wasn't interesting by himself but rather by the reactions he got from others. That's why his chatlogs were consistently funny, like Eridan's.

Now That Is Koos
Sep 30, 2013

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 15, 2013

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

For one fleeting moment I thought this was the Hate Plus LP thread.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

You shouldn't give earth food to aliens, Koos. You don't know how their crazy alien digestive systems will react to it.

You really should know better.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

That's not even new Koos. You're reusing material. You're old hat now.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
How wrong the things Gamzee did to Terezi was < How the wrong the things done to that body pillow was.

Now That Is Koos
Sep 30, 2013

Color Printer posted:

That's not even new Koos. You're reusing material. You're old hat now.

In that sense, it's a metaphor for Homestuck at large.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
And thus has Koos shown us enlightenment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Koos is like our very own Mullah Nasreddin.