Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

TNG posted:

Reiji also gets another Gundam special power attributed to him, directly on screen. I wonder if he'll get X-Rounders at this rate?

I think I might have missed something. Or are you referring to him teleporting away at the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Clearly Reiji can go Trans-Am.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The writer is this dude. Notably he wrote Gundam 00, Trigun, and Jormungand.(The anime adaptations of the latter two, not the original manga, obviously.)

Also Sei's mom kind of rules. Actually, all the characters kind of rule. Sei is the most likable gundam protagonist in years. I like that he didn't lead Yuuki on and just told the truth.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 14, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

TNG posted:

Watching Rambal Ral explain the "harshness of the battlefield" to a girl who can't stop wondering who the hell this guy is while they're watching people fight with plastic models has pretty much made this SOTY for me.

The whole time I watched this scene all I could think was "In the middle of a gunpla battle, Ramba Ral forgot to stay more than 50 meters from the school at all times!"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Couple of thoughts

1. Op is really, really great. It's really obari like and it's just fantastic. Ending is quite good as well. I like the human/gundam hybrid.
2. I like how they made Reiji kind of a dick and not just some magic nice genie. I laughed with him just taking over the bed and just going "I paid you back once, now forget about it."
3. It was a little thing I liked, but most shows would have glossed over the fact that a school had a gunpla arena, but at least they gave a semi-plausible explanation as to why they had one.
4. glad the sumo didn't get completely punked.
5. The fights is this series are quite dynamic and sure as hell beat the boring rear end age fights.
6. It looks like their going to address Reiji's deal pretty quickly.

As other people have said, this show is fun and you can tell the guys working on this are having a blast.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 14, 2013

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Has anyone else noticed that the preview for each episode steals the end of previous series previews? The first had a play on the "Who will survive" from the original Gundam, this one had a play on "You will see the tears of time." from Zeta. I really hope ep 3 riffs off of ZZs.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Monaghan posted:

1. Op is really, really great. It's really obari like and it's just fantastic. Ending is quite good as well. I like the human/gundam hybrid.

Obari directed and storyboarded the OP. He will be mecha animation director for episode 7. Enjoy.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

3. It was a little thing I liked, but most shows would have glossed over the fact that a school had a gunpla arena, but at least they gave a semi-plausible explanation as to why they had one.

This was one of the biggest things that stuck out at me after watching the episode. It seems like such a minor thing, but it adds so much to the viewers ability to just sit back and nod and enjoy the show. This show has a ton of plot holes or otherwise implausible events (Ramba Ral in general, People showing up just when the plot requires it etc) but you can just roll right on past them because the show itself pokes fun at it.

I also love the Plavasky Particles. They are so rediculous the moment you think about it, but when they are introduced things are engaging enough that you just nod and go. "Uh huh, sure. That makes sense."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Frankly I'm just hoping that somebody says GUNPLA JA NAI at some point.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Ok after being skeptical with the first episode, the second one definitely has me sold. It's pretty clear that whoever is writing or directing this show has a real love for Gundam and gunpla and it's better for it and takes away from the marketing.

I'm thinking that Ral and Reiji definitely have something in common from the way we see them in the 3rd episode preview.

Also there's a
Psycomu Test High Mobility Type Zaku II

in the preview, I love how they're including obscure suits, even ones that have never been produced as a modern model kit.

Faltion fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 14, 2013

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013
This show is exactly what I needed to wipe away the memory of Gundam AGE.

Caros posted:

I also love the Plavasky Particles. They are so rediculous the moment you think about it, but when they are introduced things are engaging enough that you just nod and go. "Uh huh, sure. That makes sense."

In a show about toy robots fighting toy robots, the last thing I expected or needed was an explanation of how in this universe there exists a special particle that exists only to interact with gunpla plastic to bring it to life.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I'm beginning to think Ramba Ral just teleports in whenever there's a Gunpla battle. If he isn't onscreen he must be at some other Gunpla battle, providing narration and handing out sage advice and Gunpla history to children baffled at his sudden presence.

And I'm pleasantly surprised at the characterization of the resident Char clone. Beyond the Zaku Amazing and sweet title, Yuuki doesn't really resemble Char in design or character. He's seems like a nice dude who likes his Gunpla. Despite Reiji's animosity I hope he ends up bros with Sei and co. outside the Gunpla arena. :3:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hm, this guy on the left in the episode preview looks a little familiar.

Could....could it be!?

e: VVV Yeah I know I've seen him somewhere before, I can't place him though. Perhaps someone can!

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 15, 2013

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
The guy on the right seems really familiar as well. I'm pretty sure he's from V Gundam, based on his uniform.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Valhawk posted:

The guy on the right seems really familiar as well. I'm pretty sure he's from V Gundam, based on his uniform.

He might just be in V Gundam cosplay. General Septum is wearing a Zeon outfit instead of his uniform from Wing.

God, I hope they keep throwing in random cameos from the franchise. Setsuna as an obsessive Gunpla fan or Char and Amuro fistfighting at the local supermarket would make my day.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 15, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I want a scene where Sei's mom heads to the market she mentioned in episode 1, and it's entirely staffed by the cast of 08th MS team.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This show is...actually pretty good? I can't stop laughing pretty much every time Ramba Ral is onscreen, and at Reiji teleporting away. I hope they never explain him.

It also helps that the fight animation is really good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Caros posted:

In this episode, for example, we are presented with two rather unlikely things. That a school Gym has a very expensive battle system, and the random appearance of Ramba Ral. A dumber Gundam show (AGE) would have ignored the first, and gone the simple route of making Ramba Ral a teacher.

What'd be so dumb about Ramba being a teacher out of interest? It seems no worse than him randomly appearing (regardless of whether it has story reasons as I suspect later down the line)? It'd seem more sensible to me frankly than just having him appear out of nowhere - though only assuming the show continues to focus on the school. If there's only a couple of episodes here and there set in the school I can see your point I suppose.

BizarroAzrael posted:

And Zaku Amazing fights with razor blades!

They looked a bit like butcher knives to me. Which I'm completely okay with.

Viola the Mad posted:

I'm beginning to think Ramba Ral just teleports in whenever there's a Gunpla battle.

Yea, that was my first thought when he showed up too. I'm almost certain he's the same as whatever Reiji is and left years before Reiji did. Reiji mentions in this episode that he came here to fight basically, so I'm assuming Ramba defected out of love for Earth and Gunpla after being sent for similar reasons, and that he'll help convince Reiji to abandon any lingering feelings he has left for whatever force he's part of. If Sei is going to learn to fight in his own way, I wonder what kind of fighter he'll mature in to? Beam spam/support unit a la Kira perhaps to continue the SEED theme?

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 15, 2013

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Viola the Mad posted:

I'm beginning to think Ramba Ral just teleports in whenever there's a Gunpla battle. If he isn't onscreen he must be at some other Gunpla battle, providing narration and handing out sage advice and Gunpla history to children baffled at his sudden presence.

He seems sort of like a cross between Mr. Referee and the chick-seller guy.

(I'm hoping we'll get some Stalker eventually)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsob posted:

What'd be so dumb about Ramba being a teacher out of interest?

I'm not Caros, but I think the point isn't so much that it'd be dumber, but that it would be less interesting/less funny.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

I'm not Caros, but I think the point isn't so much that it'd be dumber, but that it would be less interesting/less funny.

Basically this. Having him be a teacher would have been easy and with many recent Gundam shows, and especially AGE, that has been a major issue. While its okay to take the easy answer sometimes with writing, when you do it for everything it leads to a show that is lifeless. Every twist and turn is easy to guess because the writers didn't think past the surface.

Here the writers knew they wanted someone to spout exposition, and rather than try and figure out a plausible way to find ways for him to be hanging around every time, they went with a 'nudge nudge, wink wink' to the viewer. We know that at best its silly, but at the same time it inspires some interesting thoughts about who Ral is in the story and what impact he might have on the plot.

quote:

And I'm pleasantly surprised at the characterization of the resident Char clone. Beyond the Zaku Amazing and sweet title, Yuuki doesn't really resemble Char in design or character. He's seems like a nice dude who likes his Gunpla. Despite Reiji's animosity I hope he ends up bros with Sei and co. outside the Gunpla arena.

Its possible I'm reading too much into a show about toy robots, but I also really like what they've done with Yuuki. While he doesn't have a literal mask, judging from this episode its possible that Yuuki the chairman is a sort of mask overtop of the Crimson Comet persona. He acts differently and even adopts a new look when he's engaging in Gunpla battle, in many ways he seems like a completely different person.

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 15, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Of course, the show still has plenty of time to contrive reasons for Yuuki to put on a mask at some point.

I hope they eventually start fighting a secret organization that uses toy robots for evil. These shows are at their best when they let the crazy ramp up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fred is on posted:

Of course, the show still has plenty of time to contrive reasons for Yuuki to put on a mask at some point.

A freak Gunpla accident sends a piece of runner plastic flying into his face, scarring him horribly for life! :v:.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ah, how lovely.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Schneider Heim posted:

Ah, how lovely.

I just realized, I think the white and blue Gelgoog is from the Johnny Ridden Mobile Suit Variations manga. I half expect a Gihren Assassination Plot suit to show up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's not a Gelgoog, it's a Dijeh.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A freak Gunpla accident sends a piece of runner plastic flying into his face, scarring him horribly for life! :v:.

While attempting to build HG Sazabi, Yuuki learns the hard way that its limb connections are a piece of poo poo.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Viola the Mad posted:

I'm beginning to think Ramba Ral just teleports in whenever there's a Gunpla battle.

You know how Setsuna was all freaky silver alienified at the end of 00? Ramba Ral is like that, but instead of GN Particles it's Plavasky Particles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If villains from Gundam shows are winding up in Build Fighters, Gym Ghingham should show up. It would basically be paradise for him.

EDIT: And it'd give an excuse to make a Turn-X kit. There's only a 1/144 for that thing, right?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 15, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Endorph posted:

If villains from Gundam shows are winding up in Build Fighters, Gym Ghingham should show up. It would basically be paradise for him.

EDIT: And it'd give an excuse to make a Turn-X kit. There's only a 1/144 for that thing, right?

Yes, and it's a 90's 1/144 at that.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I may be a little late in noticing this, but I like how Plavosky Particle is a riff on Minovsky particle. Pla as in Plastic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Titles/summaries for the next three episodes have been released. Some rough translations from /m/:

3: Full Package
To prepare for the next match with Yuuki, Sei confines himself to his workshop to complete the Build Strike. On the other hand, Reiji heads to "that place".

"That place" is presumably the Zeon cosplay bar we saw in the trailers. Man that's going to be amazing. :allears:

4: Gunpla Idol Kirara
Sei and Reiji smoothly progress through the Gunpla Battle Tournament. One day, a girl named Mihoshi arrives at Sei's parents' model shop..

Kirara didn't show up in the opening, but you can see her in the ED. She's the girl with pink hair. Presumably Mihoshi is her real name or something.

5: The Strongest Builder
Facing an upcoming battle with Yuuki, Sei devotes himself completely to preparing the Build Strike. So much so that China's worried about him... Then, before the two, a mysterious boy named Yasaka appeared.

Yasaka is the kid in the opening with the rad as gently caress Gundam X.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

tsob posted:

If Sei is going to learn to fight in his own way, I wonder what kind of fighter he'll mature in to? Beam spam/support unit a la Kira perhaps to continue the SEED theme?

I hope he follows Reiji's train of thought from the first episode and goes all close-combat MMA. Seriously, I was expecting Sei to counter Sazaki and throw his Gyan's rear end out of the ring.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

BlitzBlast posted:

Titles/summaries for the next three episodes have been released. Some rough translations from /m/:

Yasaka is the kid in the opening with the rad as gently caress Gundam X.

Not just any Gundam X, Gundam X SATAN

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
How long is this show going to go? Are we going to get the standard fifty episodes or are they going to stick to a full/half season schedule?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I haven't been into Gundam since Toonami was on the air... But this show actually convinced me to go grab a model when i went out for breakfast.

For such a silly show its incredibly fun to watch.

The only thing i can hope for now is a Custom Robo style video game to come out of this. Cause this show is basically Custom Robo the show. With Gundam.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Viola the Mad posted:

How long is this show going to go? Are we going to get the standard fifty episodes or are they going to stick to a full/half season schedule?

BlitzBlast posted:

Word from NYCC is that Build Fighters will be 25 episodes. Looks like we might have another two season show on our hands.

There's no outright confirmation yet though.

Talkc posted:

The only thing i can hope for now is a Custom Robo style video game to come out of this. Cause this show is basically Custom Robo the show. With Gundam.

This already exists, it's called Gundam Breaker.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Cool robot action, the rest was loving painful. Not gonna make it through this one.

I will give GBF this much, though: it's nice to see them having some fun with the property for a change. The overall vibe is youthful and positive and even pretty fresh as Gundam goes, and although I don't care for the show I'm glad to see it ditch the godawful air of sour desperation that hangs over far too many of its predecessors.

I think this may succeed at bringing in new fans where AGE did not, and that's a good thing however you look at it. Any word on ratings yet?

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

Srice posted:

Hm, this guy on the left in the episode preview looks a little familiar.

Could....could it be!?

e: VVV Yeah I know I've seen him somewhere before, I can't place him though. Perhaps someone can!

I think its the Zeon officer from 08th MS Team that pilots the Zeon attack heli in episode 3 along with Norris Packard.

DookieSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 17, 2013

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Any word on ratings yet?

Not high enough to top-10 (the cutoff for anime was 4.1% episode 1 week and 3.4% episode 2 week) so we probably wont know for a while, if ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
To be fair, it's been a while since I saw 0079, but I think there were a lot of kinda wormy looking Zeon guys with mustaches like that.

• Locked thread