Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Jesus christ, Doublade is insanely good.

Also Malamar is pretty awesome, even if mine isn't Contrary. He's kicking things apart! I love this guy.

And Sylveon. Jesus christ, Sylveon.

These new pokemon are the best you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Encounter the roaming birds 11 times and then they'll settle in Sea Spirit's Den, where you can fight them normally.

e: this isn't like a "use strength on the truck" rumor joke this is actually how it works if anyone was thinking that.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 15, 2013

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Classtoise posted:

Jesus christ, Doublade is insanely good.

Also Malamar is pretty awesome, even if mine isn't Contrary. He's kicking things apart! I love this guy.

And Sylveon. Jesus christ, Sylveon.

These new pokemon are the best you guys.

Sylveon I benched because I felt it was just a bit *too* good, thanks to maxing out the Pokemon-amie just to get it gives it all those dumb bonuses, and then moon blast pretty much 1 shotting everything I fight.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god drat the poo poo in the Stylish Shop is expensive. The trench coat dress is 300,000! :stare: Oh man this is killing me. The green shirt+tie and matching pants and shoes combo is so amazing but holy poo poo I can't buy a single part of it. 120,000, 180,000, and 110,000 respectively.

E: vvv Where's it at?

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 15, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh god drat the poo poo in the Stylish Shop is expensive. The trench coat dress is 300,000! :stare: Oh man this is killing me. The green shirt+tie and matching pants and shoes combo is so amazing but holy poo poo I can't buy a single part of it. 120,000, 180,000, and 110,000 respectively.

Get the coupon.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

megalodong posted:

For pokemon amie, 2 runthroughs of a game will reset your pokemon's enjoyment and fullness, letting you go back and feed/pet it all the way up again.

Aurain posted:

Get head it mode to unlimited difficulty (play through the difficulties sequentially) play it twice and you should get at least 5 of the treats with swirled cream with a topping. Rub the Pokémon and feed them 5 of those treats. Play 2 times again. You'll max it out in 30 minutes or less.

Thanks guys. Threw these in the post.

Aurain posted:

He meant the Gen 4 games, I think. This game saves fast as hell in comparison to those. Even with Game Sync down, it saves much quicker than the DS titles.

That's due to using the SD card for the save, I believe. For some reason saving to the SD card, whether that's through a downloaded retail game or games like Animal Crossing and now X/Y, is so much faster than saving to a cartridge.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Krataar posted:

Ok, so I haven't played since gold and silver, and holy crap am I lost. I broke down and got this game because I heard so many good things about it. Pokemon breeding? EV training? poke amie? How does all this online stuff work? Where can I go to get up on the curve and make a murder team for online play and get boss tote bags?

I think someone made a big post a few pages back that details how PokemonAmie works. The short story is that you can play with and feed your pokemon to make them happier, which confers a bunch of benefits in fights (They'll cure statuses by themselves, hold on with 1 HP, etc, get more experience, etc).

EV training has always been around, but now it's not so invisible! Super Training lets you play minigames or beat up punching bags to gain EVs, which basically lets you fine tune the distribution of bonus stats to your pokemon. Do lots of Attack training, and your pokemon's attack will get bumped up more than a standard, untrained specimen.

I'm not gonna try to describe breeding beyond "Pokemon A + Ditto = Pokemon A", because I've never bothered to learn anything more than that.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

Get the coupon.

Where is the discount coupon? I haven't been able to find it for some reason.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Noivern gets Moonblast through the relearner, along with Boomburst, Hurricane, and Dragon pulse

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Evil Canadian posted:

Sylveon I benched because I felt it was just a bit *too* good, thanks to maxing out the Pokemon-amie just to get it gives it all those dumb bonuses, and then moon blast pretty much 1 shotting everything I fight.

Mine's traded so it levels like a loving champion (I got it this afternoon at level 1, it evolved into Sylveon at 9, and now it's level 39 with Moonblast), but it only has 2 hearts of Affection so it doesn't gain any bonuses. It's just legitimately loving powerful.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Does anyone know how to get the Mega Stones that aren't handed to you to spawn? I have gone to where the Alakazite and Gyradite are, yet nothing is there.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Specto posted:

Noivern gets Moonblast through the relearner, along with Boomburst, Hurricane, and Dragon pulse

As cool as this is, is there legitimately any point to putting a Fairy-type move on a Dragon pokemon?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Emalde posted:

As cool as this is, is there legitimately any point to putting a Fairy-type move on a Dragon pokemon?

It's super effective against things that Dragon isn't? Fighting and Dark, to be specific.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Unbound posted:

Does anyone know how to get the Mega Stones that aren't handed to you to spawn? I have gone to where the Alakazite and Gyradite are, yet nothing is there.

Did you get the mega bracelet upgrade after the Elite 4? Once you do that, the hidden mega stones will be purple and sparkling, but are only available from 8 to 9pm.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Emalde posted:

Not really, given that the other two types that fairy hits super effectively are weak to hurricane/air slash, or to focus blast(which is stronger). I guess if you wanted a more accurate way of dealing with fighting and dark types, it would sound good.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

rhoga posted:

Did you get the mega bracelet upgrade after the Elite 4? Once you do that, the hidden mega stones will be purple and sparkling, but are only available from 8 to 9pm.

Nope, missed that. Where do I go?

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

If I don't do EV training early on or at every level am I missing out on bulking them out?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Unbound posted:

Articuno has been doing the same thing for me. If you figure out how to get it to stick around, let me know.

And now I've seen it twice more.

I don't know what's happening but I like it.

I was just thinking to myself that the magic of chasing the three dogs down in G/S/C can never be recaptured. I was wrong.

Brett824 posted:

Encounter the roaming birds 11 times and then they'll settle in Sea Spirit's Den, where you can fight them normally.

e: this isn't like a "use strength on the truck" rumor joke this is actually how it works if anyone was thinking that.

I'm about to sound really stupid. But is that each or all together? Because if it's each :allears:

WendigoJohnson posted:

Get the coupon.

I read this post just as I'm ready to spend all of my 600,000 on a new look. Where is this coupon? :)

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Krataar posted:

If I don't do EV training early on or at every level am I missing out on bulking them out?

Not really! If you get an EV distribution you hate you can use a Reset Bag to start fresh and rebulk em.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

So I found out there's a guy in the South Notparis pokecenter that trades pokemiles for items. Moomoo Milk is like 20 miles each, and heals for 100. I had just over 1500 miles to spend. :getin:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

I was just looking for a mareep on route 14, when a "wild moltres appeared"

Before I could even choose a pokeball, it fled.

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

edit: make that route 12

Meet it like 10 times and it will appear in Sea God's Cave (is that the name?) then you can catch it.

Edit: Beaten.

Also, I went to the castle to get my mawile-ite and it isn't there. Do I need to something other than be post endgame to spawn it?

Samael fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 15, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Samael posted:

Meet it like 10 times and it will appear in Sea God's Cave (is that the name?) then you can catch it.

Edit: Beaten.

Also, I went to the castle to get my mawile-ite and it isn't there. Do I need to something other than be post endgame to spawn it?

I guess you have to fight your rival in Kilhoude Town and then go somewhere to upgrade you mega ring. I wish I knew where to go for the later.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 15, 2013

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
In the 3rd Gym, if you roller skate over the ramps to do jumps with Pokemon-Amie on the bottom screen, your active Pokemon freaks out and flies like 15 feet into the air.

GOTY.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
God this game is so fun. I've been having a blast trying to make sure I catch every Pokemon, and keeping a small party (just Quilladin and Charmeleon who are inches away from evolving, and a Ninjask who knows False Swipe) so I can stock the back half of my party with Pokemon I need to evolve to fill out my 'dex. I'm like 20 hours in and way behind where I probably should be, but I give very few shits. And I haven't even touched the Pokemon Amie stuff yet.

Oh, and whoever decided that it would be funny to have Seviper only show up in hordes surrounded by Zangoose that attack it first so you can't keep it alive long enough to catch it is a real dick.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

LordHippoman posted:

In the 3rd Gym, if you roller skate over the ramps to do jumps with Pokemon-Amie on the bottom screen, your active Pokemon freaks out and flies like 15 feet into the air.

GOTY.

If you try to skate through the badlands while the wind is blowing, your pokemon just gets blown across the Pokemon-Amie screen. GOTY, every year.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How can I tell if Hidden Power is worth teaching to to my Pokemon? My Metagross would use it as an ice type and my Delphox would use it as a ground. Just not sure if it'd be better than what I have now.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I've spent like...an hour wondertrading some Luvdiscs that I fished up (along with a few odds and ends I have in boxes) and I got a Gible and a Noibat (from Japan) along with an Oddish and a Litleo (Both might be common but I haven't seen them). I also got an Eevee :3: Earlier I got a Haunter (which I hadn't been able to catch). Wondertrade is the best thing.

I did see so many Pikachus, though. SO MANY

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

Oh, and whoever decided that it would be funny to have Seviper only show up in hordes surrounded by Zangoose that attack it first so you can't keep it alive long enough to catch it is a real dick.

Might be version-specific, but I do know that the reverse of this can happen. I remember seeing a screenshot of a bunch of Sevipers atomizing a Zangoose in a horde fight.

e: Why do you guys flood the wonder trade with Luvdiscs? That should be punishable by death.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

myron cope posted:

I've spent like...an hour wondertrading some Luvdiscs that I fished up (along with a few odds and ends I have in boxes) and I got a Gible and a Noibat (from Japan) along with an Oddish and a Litleo (Both might be common but I haven't seen them). I also got an Eevee :3: Earlier I got a Haunter (which I hadn't been able to catch). Wondertrade is the best thing.

I did see so many Pikachus, though. SO MANY

I've started releasing Pikachus, Weedles, Caterpies, and every other pre-gym 1 'mon that I get. There are too many of them out there.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
When they first kicked me out of that store in Lumiose I wanted to pull some Pretty Woman type poo poo but they eventually let me in, only to find their products are in the hundred thousands. Someone hook a brother up with that coupon, I'm dying to get into some Pokevenchy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'll make my Eevee army yet (It's getting harder because my Main party is geting it's second tier attacks so part of me is wondering if I should breed the other 7 (there's 9 Eeveelutions, including Vanilla Eevee :psyduck:) and lighten the load for myself.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Hey so an internet friend of mine just encountered her first shiny ever, a pikachu in santalune forest. She was really stoked.

Literally the next pokemon she encountered was a shiny fletchling, which she also caught. :stare:

I don't know about higher shiny rates or anything, but in previous gens, the chances of encountering two subsequent shinies is 1 in 67,108,864.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Where can I get a dusk stone?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Rainuwastaken posted:

e: Why do you guys flood the wonder trade with Luvdiscs? That should be punishable by death.
Of all the wondertrading I did, I think I've seen like...one Luvdisc. I did the world a favor :colbert:

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Nickname Pending posted:

Where can I get a dusk stone?

- Max EVs on a pokemon and then do the Aegislash Secret Super Trainer.
- Deep in Terminus Cave
- 6th Gym town post Elite 4 from a Team Flare guy

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Urrrgghhh, 8 battles into the battle maison and the trainer's line is- "Meow, meow, I can haz battle, meow? (Ugh, I really sound like a fool, don't I?)"

Yes, yes you do, shut up.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Oh god you can get rarer berries on your planted trees by crossbreeding/planting different berries together. This is like Animal Crossing flower hybrid breeding over again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm n'thing the Where is the Boutique discount voucher? question.

You can't google it because you just get results for people trying to get the game for cheap.

I only just found out that the boutique offerings change on a daily basis too, so check every day!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'm not gonna try to describe breeding beyond "Pokemon A + Ditto = Pokemon A", because I've never bothered to learn anything more than that.

Father + Mother of same egg group = Child of Mother's species. Some pokemon are in multiple egg groups, Ditto fucks everything and counts as the father regardless of gender.

Child picks an IV from each parent and then another at random (if you're not even into EVs, don't worry about IVs)

If Mother holds an Everstone, child has a 50% chance of inheriting her nature. Otherwise it's random.

If Father has any TM moves or egg moves that the Child can learn it hatches with them, as well as any level-up moves that both parents have. (main attraction of breeding before getting into natures/IVs, this can let the kid get useful egg moves that the species normally doesn't learn)

80% chance of inheriting mother's ability, 60% if it's a hidden ability. (new to Gen6: Male + Ditto passes on hidden ability 60-80% of the time, no idea of interaction between make with hidden and female without)

If parents are from different languages there's a better (but still rare) chance of a shiny kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Oh no! The legendary Pokemon?!

Single Quick ball. Caught.

• Locked thread