Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Mung Dynasty posted:

On the topic of using a 360 controller on the PC, does anyone else experience a weird lack of smoothness to analog movement?

Playing on an actual Xbox 360, the controller feels like it offers a very wide range of analog sensitivity. It's really responsive and feels great. Playing the same or similar games on the PC with the controller, the analog control feels more jerky. Moving the right thumbstick for camera movement almost feels strictly 8 way and abrupt.

Wired or Wireless, and what games? I use my extensively on my PC, both wired and wireless (living room PC), and don't see this behavior, but it could be game dependent? (or try a different USB port?) Recent games I've been playing with a controller are DmC, Borderlands 2, Remember Me, Final Fantasy XIV, and PCSX2 and in all I never noticed any weirdness like you describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Reacean posted:

Wired or Wireless, and what games? I use my extensively on my PC, both wired and wireless (living room PC), and don't see this behavior, but it could be game dependent? (or try a different USB port?) Recent games I've been playing with a controller are DmC, Borderlands 2, Remember Me, Final Fantasy XIV, and PCSX2 and in all I never noticed any weirdness like you describe.

Wired. Mostly older games, I guess, since I use my 360 as my primary system. Tomb Raider Anniversary/Legend/Underworld, Dead Space, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Skyrim. I mean, the controller works, it's just that the analog sensitivity doesn't feel as complete as it does for the same games on the console. It's small, but annoying.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I assume you have the correct drivers installed? You can always try reinstalling them. You could also try adjusting the settings for it in both the Windows control panel and the specific games you're playing. Although since Xbox 360 controllers have become the standard for pc gamepads, there shouldn't be that much setup required. If you can borrow a different wired 360 controller, you can possibly see if it's a problem with your controller itself.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Is there any way to tell how much stress my system is putting on my power supply. I may be getting a new (hand-me down :v:) graphics card and would like to know if I need to upgrade my power supply to make sure it works properly.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

What's your current PSUs power and what's the GPU?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Is there any way to tell how much stress my system is putting on my power supply. I may be getting a new (hand-me down :v:) graphics card and would like to know if I need to upgrade my power supply to make sure it works properly.

There is a calculator by bequiet! that calculates approximate power draw and recommends a PSU that fits the need from their lineup. You can probably use it as an orientation for other good quality PSU as well.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Has anyone here tried Ace of Spades? It looks really interesting and I find the fundamental conceit pretty cool....but no one seems to own it. And is Battle Builder a sequel or expansion to the base game or something?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Radio Talmudist posted:

Has anyone here tried Ace of Spades? It looks really interesting and I find the fundamental conceit pretty cool....but no one seems to own it. And is Battle Builder a sequel or expansion to the base game or something?
Imagine trying to build something in Minecraft while snipers from a mile away shoot at you. It's... pretty terrible. A neat idea though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ponzicar posted:

I assume you have the correct drivers installed? You can always try reinstalling them. You could also try adjusting the settings for it in both the Windows control panel and the specific games you're playing. Although since Xbox 360 controllers have become the standard for pc gamepads, there shouldn't be that much setup required. If you can borrow a different wired 360 controller, you can possibly see if it's a problem with your controller itself.

Actually, windows can just download the drivers from windows update when you plug the controller in nowadays. I know this because I was lazy after reinstalling and didn't want to dig up the disc.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
See, that's why I just go with the wired version. Plug n' play, plenty of cord. No problem.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I feel like I may have posted this already, but I'm anticipating that ps4 controller + an updated cronus dongle to be the one true god tier future pc controller.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Man, I hope Mass Effect 3 multiplayer becomes one of those communities that refuses to die. It's way too fun to let go of.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Sorry for the double post but for anyone interested I got an email saying the Razer Orbweaver is on sale for $98 instead of $130.

It sounds and looks like a really neat thing to have but it looks so foreign to me I don't think I could get used to it. I'm not quite sure the best way to use it if I got one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its just yet another variation of the old Belkin Nostromo. They're totally superfluous but if you play a game that uses an assload of binds like an MMO or something its a marginally superior alternative to a fullsize keyboard just in terms of ergonomics and macro programming and stuff. I totally wouldn't spend $130 on one, but sometimes you can find Nostromos for cheap.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The basic idea is that in action games that support it, you can map movement to that little joystick, so you can move at weird angles and control the speed at which you walk or run. It's neat, but not everyone knows about it and even fewer people have anything like it, so don't expect full - or any - support from every game.

Logitech did something similar with the G13, which for a few extra bucks also has a little screen for game info.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Since you're talking about evaluating an existing system, you can do what I've done before and spend a small amount on a "Kill A Watt" power meter and actually measure it. This measures the power draw at the wall socket, and (for example) if you've got an "80 plus" rated PSU then it should be providing 80%-90% of that power internally when highly loaded.

Here's a couple of Shack threads where I chatted about the flaws in that approach, the benchmark/stress tests I used, and the results:

http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=28315300#item_28315300
http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=28368965#item_28368965

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I had problems with doing this with the wireless pads on my living room machine (Windows 7). When I first plugged the dongle in, it did auto-install some drivers but I had problems with control mapping in certain games, and certain functions didn't work (like the thing that pops up and shows you the battery status when you press the center button), until I ran the install disc. You can download the installer as well. So, it might be worth at least trying that rather than relying on plug and play if you're having problems.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm looking to ditch my trackball for gaming cause there aren't any reasonably affordable/not stupidly laid out wired ones available anymore. My wireless one seems to get some weird interference from something, either my wifi or one of my neighbors. I have a Logitech M570 with unifying receiver, it works just fine for pretty much anything but playing online FPS's.

I'm not even sure what would be a good actual mouse to go with. I definitely would like multiple buttons. 5 or 6? I really don't know since Using the thumb to push buttons is a new thing for me. The concept of DPI switching sounds interesting but I don't know how useful it really is.

Anyone made the switch from trackball to regular mouse that has a good recommendation? Alternately, what do you good folks recommend? I want something pretty sturdy/reliable, not absurdly expensive for a mouse (don't really want to spend more that $75), with a decent amount of easily accessible buttons. I will be using it on either a keyboard tray that has a black foam stuff, or a white melamine desktop. Optical or laser? Would both work fine?

After spending more time than was probably necessary, I'm looking at the Logitech G500s. Anybody have any experience with it? It looks pretty solid and reasonably ergonomic.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I used a Logitech MX518 for about four years until it finally gave out on me. It prompted me to go look for a new mouse, which in the same design was the G400S. As far as the G400S is concerned, I'm going to nerd out and say it's probably a mouse I could never replace. It's incredibly comfortable and feels rock solid without feeling heavy or annoying to move around. The only thing that I remember looking like the G500S was this wireless mouse I was given to by a friend as a replacement for my broken one. And while it was okay it just felt kind of flimsy and hard to use.

At any rate you probably can't go wrong with Logitech. They have great support.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dog nougat posted:

I'm looking to ditch my trackball for gaming cause there aren't any reasonably affordable/not stupidly laid out wired ones available anymore. My wireless one seems to get some weird interference from something, either my wifi or one of my neighbors. I have a Logitech M570 with unifying receiver, it works just fine for pretty much anything but playing online FPS's.

I'm not even sure what would be a good actual mouse to go with. I definitely would like multiple buttons. 5 or 6? I really don't know since Using the thumb to push buttons is a new thing for me. The concept of DPI switching sounds interesting but I don't know how useful it really is.

Anyone made the switch from trackball to regular mouse that has a good recommendation? Alternately, what do you good folks recommend? I want something pretty sturdy/reliable, not absurdly expensive for a mouse (don't really want to spend more that $75), with a decent amount of easily accessible buttons. I will be using it on either a keyboard tray that has a black foam stuff, or a white melamine desktop. Optical or laser? Would both work fine?

After spending more time than was probably necessary, I'm looking at the Logitech G500s. Anybody have any experience with it? It looks pretty solid and reasonably ergonomic.

I got a G500 for Christmas last year and I love it. It's incredibly ergonomic, and it comes with different weights so you can adjust how heavy the mouse feels in your hand. I don't use the DPI switching that much, mostly just certain things in Mass Effect, but it's a neat feature, and switching to the high dps is useful for quickly scrolling around on a map. I also really enjoy the clickless scrolling function on the mouse wheel, it makes reading long documents more reasonable. In short, if you have no problem spending the money on it, the G500 is an excellent mouse. I'm not sure if I would have spent that much on a mouse myself, but I'm really glad I ended up with one.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Well Dog Nougat you are still playing BF4 on PC right? I use my DPI buttons on my mouse ALL THE TIME. Going from super low when running and gunning to super high in vehicles. Just constantly. Sometimes I go into a higher sensitivity based on the weapon I have like a shotgun.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, I plan on using it solely for video games cause my trackball just isn't cutting it anymore, mostly because of some sort of signal interference which is obnoxious. I still plan on using the trackball for everything else cause it's comfortable/works great for manipulating objects in Photoshop/Illustrator/Flash, I also have a tablet to use for those as well...I feel kinda silly dropping $70 on a mouse for entertainment, but when the hardware I have isn't making it all that enjoyable, I can kinda justify it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

dog nougat posted:

Yeah, I plan on using it solely for video games cause my trackball just isn't cutting it anymore, mostly because of some sort of signal interference which is obnoxious. I still plan on using the trackball for everything else cause it's comfortable/works great for manipulating objects in Photoshop/Illustrator/Flash, I also have a tablet to use for those as well...I feel kinda silly dropping $70 on a mouse for entertainment, but when the hardware I have isn't making it all that enjoyable, I can kinda justify it.

Sub $100 sounds about right. You can usually get a really good quality mouse with some extra features that'll last you awhile. Like I said my MX518 which was probably around $40-50 at the time lasted me 4 years before the wiring started to go out.

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS

Ularg posted:

I used a Logitech MX518 for about four years until it finally gave out on me. It prompted me to go look for a new mouse, which in the same design was the G400S. As far as the G400S is concerned, I'm going to nerd out and say it's probably a mouse I could never replace. It's incredibly comfortable and feels rock solid without feeling heavy or annoying to move around. The only thing that I remember looking like the G500S was this wireless mouse I was given to by a friend as a replacement for my broken one. And while it was okay it just felt kind of flimsy and hard to use.

At any rate you probably can't go wrong with Logitech. They have great support.

Is the new Logitech gaming stuff anything special? It looks as if they just repainted some regular products to pander to gamers.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The G400 got discontinued since the G400s is supposed to replace it. The biggest benefit is that you know every G400s has a flawless sensor, whereas with the G400 the earlier models had 3rd-party sensors that had some manner of prediction software packed in.

Other than that, it's mostly just a newer product with updated drivers and maybe one or two design/ergonomic tweaks.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's also the exact same form and function as the MX518, but has a much better material.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Supposedly, Gxxxs series has more reliable switches and at least the 500 has a braided cable, not sure about the 400. But I went ahead and ordered the 500s. Too bad it won't arrive before the end of the BF4 beta, but it's not like the actual release of the game is far off or I dint have other games to try it on.

Edit: reliable compared to the earlier Gxxx series, which had some issues with the switches wearing out and erroneously reading a double click or something.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

G400s doesn't have a braided cable, and it's honestly kinda getting in my way right now

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I've spent the last three hours with steam doing "Game content conversion" with Skyrim files. I haven't played it in a long time so I have no loving clue why it is taking so long. I was playing Bioshock infinite while I was waiting and now my PC started to randomly disconnect my controller and now it doesn't recognize it at all.

Fun day.

gently caress you Skyrim.

Update: Second Logitech device that has gone to poo poo on me when you move the wire even slightly, like you would in regular use. The 310 controller and MX518 now have both died this way.

Really fed up with you Logitech, don't really feel like buying from you again.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 14, 2013

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ularg posted:

Update: Second Logitech device that has gone to poo poo on me when you move the wire even slightly, like you would in regular use. The 310 controller and MX518 now have both died this way.

Really fed up with you Logitech, don't really feel like buying from you again.

Contact support, they'll probably send you a new one for free.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

YourAverageJoe posted:

G400s doesn't have a braided cable, and it's honestly kinda getting in my way right now

Wait, people actually like braided cables? I can't stand those things, it constantly gets caught on the edges of my desk. It was one of the main reasons I switched from a Logitech to my current Gigabyte mouse. Nothing like playing an fps and having your mouse suddenly stick in the middle of a duel.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm still using the MX 510 I bought over 8 years ago and it still works nearly flawlessly despite putting it through really heavy use, except the mouse wheel barely registers an input. Maybe it's dirty and I could try and open it up and clean it but I know I'd break it. Considering how willing they are to send replacements for free, I wonder if it's possible to get them to replace an 8 year old mouse that is only defective due to regular wear and tear. I'm guessing most probably not. :v:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Anker makes pretty decent mice for the price they charge.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm still using the MX 510 I bought over 8 years ago and it still works nearly flawlessly despite putting it through really heavy use, except the mouse wheel barely registers an input. Maybe it's dirty and I could try and open it up and clean it but I know I'd break it. Considering how willing they are to send replacements for free, I wonder if it's possible to get them to replace an 8 year old mouse that is only defective due to regular wear and tear. I'm guessing most probably not. :v:

At that age they definitely won't replace it, but contact their customer service and they'll likely offer you 50% off a new mouse.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

dog nougat posted:

Supposedly, Gxxxs series has more reliable switches and at least the 500 has a braided cable, not sure about the 400. But I went ahead and ordered the 500s. Too bad it won't arrive before the end of the BF4 beta, but it's not like the actual release of the game is far off or I dint have other games to try it on.

Edit: reliable compared to the earlier Gxxx series, which had some issues with the switches wearing out and erroneously reading a double click or something.

I have an "old" G400, and I'm getting that double clicking thing which is annoying the crap out of me. If it's a systemic thing that they've fixed, I should probably look into getting a new one. I don't really feel like I've used the mouse all that hard either compared to some of the previous mice I've had, so I was surprised when the button started going wonky.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

AG3 posted:

I have an "old" G400, and I'm getting that double clicking thing which is annoying the crap out of me. If it's a systemic thing that they've fixed, I should probably look into getting a new one. I don't really feel like I've used the mouse all that hard either compared to some of the previous mice I've had, so I was surprised when the button started going wonky.
Try blowing it out with some compressed air. I had the same thing happen with 2 different logitech mice, and a quick blast under the buttons from my compressor cleared it right up.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Huh, never heard of that before. I've got a can lying around at home, I'll give it a shot when I get off work.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

Wait, people actually like braided cables?

The G5 I had earlier had a much straighter (braided) cable, and it would keep pretty straight no matter how I moved my mouse. The G400s' cable still has bends in it from when it was packaged, which affects how I can move it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

Wait, people actually like braided cables? I can't stand those things, it constantly gets caught on the edges of my desk. It was one of the main reasons I switched from a Logitech to my current Gigabyte mouse. Nothing like playing an fps and having your mouse suddenly stick in the middle of a duel.

My Gigabyte Kripton has braided cable and I love it. But then I made sure that it wouldn't get stuck everywhere while playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So what's this thing about mice and 500MHz or 1000MHz and what not and what does this mean for my G400s? Also, fresh OS install, any drivers I should grab for essentials? Major FPS player but I usually just dealt with whatever auto installed.

• Locked thread