Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Xovaan posted:

I wouldn't knock riding Bruce until you've tried it.

It just seems really weird to name a bike after an Australian philosopher, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's easier to just not read reddit, c'mon sons

http://youtu.be/DOqb_UzJSUQ

RevDrMosesPLester keeps copy pasting links to me just to get my blood pressure up.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
Naming a bike is pretty weird, but I just talked to a guy I haven't seen in a while who repeatedly referred to riding his VFR as "becoming one". Like more than once things like "oh yeah, when we become one". Probably won't be talking to him for a while, hopefully.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I name all my motorized vehicles. It's stupid but I don't care.

Edit: I don't refer to them by their name to strangers, which I think is healthier.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
gently caress all ya'll. I'm gonna ride Bruce and you're just going to have to deal with it. :colbert:

Meet Bruce. This is how I imagine I look to everyone else when I ride my bike. Get on the highway I spank it into third gear, and then jerk it into fourth. Unstoppable.

A real Badass. :911::respek::smug:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Drifter posted:

gently caress all ya'll. I'm gonna ride Bruce and you're just going to have to deal with it. :colbert:

Meet Bruce. This is how I imagine I look to everyone else when I ride my bike. Get on the highway I spank it into third gear, and then jerk it into fourth. Unstoppable.

what the gently caress did I just watch?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how you found that video but that's it, I'm naming my 600 Bruce.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Linedance posted:

what the gently caress did I just watch?

Bruce

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Drifter posted:

Haha, I haven't seen that video in years. Still amazing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Motherfucker. 65 quid for a three-car-length filter. Who the gently caress puts a non-motorcycle-admitting, 24/7 bus lane on the wrong side of the road, anyway? Camden loving Council, that's who. I only ended up going that way because a bunch of pituitary freaks masquerading as a sport were blocking up Regent Street. Basically I blame the NFL, money-grabbing local authorities, Boris Johnson and every other loving Tory, and basically anyone who wasn't me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PolishHero posted:

Naming a bike is pretty weird, but I just talked to a guy I haven't seen in a while who repeatedly referred to riding his VFR as "becoming one". Like more than once things like "oh yeah, when we become one". Probably won't be talking to him for a while, hopefully.

That guys fuckin his vfr

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I named all my bikes :shobon:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

hot sauce posted:

I've only ever heard of bikes/cars named the opposite sex of the person who owns it. It's probably just less enjoyable for a dude to ride Bruce as it would be to ride Bessie.

Even as a gay dude, mine is Livia. In fairness my ex named it, and it's a good excuse for having big red L's on the front, should anyone ask.

Although I do like that when I've had to speak to my mechanic about getting bits for it he'll come out with "Right, what year is she again? 'Bout 10,000 miles on her, yeah?".

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Motherfucker. 65 quid for a three-car-length filter. Who the gently caress puts a non-motorcycle-admitting, 24/7 bus lane on the wrong side of the road, anyway? Camden loving Council, that's who. I only ended up going that way because a bunch of pituitary freaks masquerading as a sport were blocking up Regent Street. Basically I blame the NFL, money-grabbing local authorities, Boris Johnson and every other loving Tory, and basically anyone who wasn't me.
For rant content - I was in a peak-hours-only bus lane in Edinburgh a few hours ago. Some loving clown going 25 in a 40 in the passing/peak-hour normal traffic lane finally realised he could go in the bus lane - as I was accelerating up it. Worst bit was he moved slightly over, held off a bit making me think "right, he's seen me, keep accelerating" and then started drifting again as I was just passing him. Judicious application of horn and throttle got me out of there, but for fucksake.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 10, 2013

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Now that's a legit rant right there.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This is about people who cannot loving drive.

Here's an intersection I use when I ride to work, the red arrow is just to show North:

I'm coming from the south on Bathurst St. It has 4 lanes, two direction, and an advanced green to turn left on to Adelaide St. Adelaide St. is one way, 4 lanes going East.

Driving by the manual, the people like me heading south and turning onto Adelaide should use their nearest curb lane. The people heading north and turning onto Adelaide should also use their nearest curb lane. If people ACTUALLY did this, a lot of cars could get to where they're going and there would be no problem.

What actually happens is that drivers on both directions try to turn into the nearest middle lane, causing mass confusion as it looks like they're going to hit each other. This holds up both turn lanes and fucks everything up.

JFC learn to loving drive! :mad:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I think of my bike more like a race horse than a woman. The previous owner apparently named it Roxanne, but I just call it "the bike".

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
A guy I know named his old bike Night Fury which I can't help but kinda think was neat, but then I love that movie. It was a CBR something or other. I don't name my vehicles but then I'm a chic and that seems to be more of a guy thing to do.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I treat my bike as if it were an extension of myself, in that I leave it alone in the dark at the back of the garage.

:smith:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

spixxor posted:

A guy I know named his old bike Night Fury which I can't help but kinda think was neat, but then I love that movie. It was a CBR something or other. I don't name my vehicles but then I'm a chic and that seems to be more of a guy thing to do.
The BMW club magazine has quite a number of people, women too, who name their bikes. One girl named her KLR "Cart-her." Cause it carts her around.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The BMW club magazine has quite a number of people, women too, who name their bikes. One girl named her KLR "Cart-her." Cause it carts her around.

Where does a KLR land on the misery index?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snowdens Secret posted:

Where does a KLR land on the misery index?

On a scale of 1-10?

Around 15, I'd say, just from reading CA. I've never ridden one myself.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Mother of motorcycle mercy, spare me from Saturday drivers. Today must have been the all-England drive-your-loving-Canyonero-at-2mph-through-my-quaint-little-town Championship or something because I almost had a road rage incident at several Chelsea tractor pilots gently nudging their ten-tonne brat wagons around the space lanes on my way home. You should need a HGV license for one of those things because they're a danger to sanity.

Strong opinions from outset.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I met a lot of those on my ride today. Annoying, but gives me a chance to open it up and BRAAAAAAAAAP past them when the road opens up, so in a way I can live with it.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Related to that, people who only discover their accelerator when you're overtaking them. Dude, I'm on the wrong side of the road, I'm not on a particularly big bike, now is not the time for you to get pissy and get up to the actual speed limit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They're just pissy because they had to look up from their phone.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Wootcannon posted:

Related to that, people who only discover their accelerator when you're overtaking them. Dude, I'm on the wrong side of the road, I'm not on a particularly big bike, now is not the time for you to get pissy and get up to the actual speed limit.

When I'm riding parallel to someone (a minivan. it's ALWAYS a minivan) and see that I'm in their blind spot, I'll ease on the throttle just enough to move me up at least around their front bumper so I'm clearly in their line of sight. EVERY SINGLE TIME, when it's a minivan, or sometimes a silver SUV, the driver immediately has to flog his soulless mommy-wagon to amble forwards so I'm not in his line of sight, and, i guess, no longer a visual reminder of what a failure their life is. It always dumbfounds me. I'm not leaping forward aggressively, I'm just easing into view. And I'm on a motorcycle. I move at the speed of thought. If I had wanted to pass you, it would be over before you could finish "liking" your erectile dysfunction treatment program on facebook. So congratulations. Now you're tailgating someone and endangering me for no reason whatsoever.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

spixxor posted:

My motorcycle is named Aya Cyclone.
I don't tell this to my anyone (outside the internet) because they are both rather obtuse references to nerdy Japanese poo poo.

Kalev
Dec 8, 2006
I named my 883 iron Archimedes because the way the mirrors are set, for some reason, blinds me with headlights during my commute.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

My motorcycle is named Aya Cyclone.
I don't tell this to my anyone (outside the internet) because they are both rather obtuse references to nerdy Japanese poo poo.

Is that a KR reference, that's almost OK

My crazy red futurebike sometimes makes me want to get a crazy red leather jacket, but then I kinda want red leather pants and putting a pill on the back and that's about when I catch myself

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

When I'm riding parallel to someone (a minivan. it's ALWAYS a minivan) and see that I'm in their blind spot, I'll ease on the throttle just enough to move me up at least around their front bumper so I'm clearly in their line of sight. EVERY SINGLE TIME, when it's a minivan, or sometimes a silver SUV, the driver immediately has to flog his soulless mommy-wagon to amble forwards so I'm not in his line of sight, and, i guess, no longer a visual reminder of what a failure their life is. It always dumbfounds me. I'm not leaping forward aggressively, I'm just easing into view. And I'm on a motorcycle. I move at the speed of thought. If I had wanted to pass you, it would be over before you could finish "liking" your erectile dysfunction treatment program on facebook. So congratulations. Now you're tailgating someone and endangering me for no reason whatsoever.

My personal frustration is that when I'm flying up on someone's rear end in the left lane on the bike, they bang over to the right just at the point where I'd be leaned over to pass. I think they see me and freak out and try to get out of the way, despite the fact that I'm a ton more maneuverable than they are. like, "Yes guy, my master plan IS to commit suicide into the back of your hatchback, congrats on figuring it out."

Just had to buy a car for winter and found that doing the same thing warrants no response to something that is about ten times heavier and stops far less quickly. Can't get around? Well gently caress me then, they can't be bothered to speed up or slow down a minute to let other cars through.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Oh, yeah, and yesterday was homecoming in my lovely college town. I had to run a ton of errands that day. Every time I turned into my alley some drunk jackass would act like he was going to jump in my way every-drat-time. I wanted to kill.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Oh, yeah, and yesterday was homecoming in my lovely college town. I had to run a ton of errands that day. Every time I turned into my alley some drunk jackass would act like he was going to jump in my way every-drat-time. I wanted to kill.

When I was eleven I though poo poo like that was the ultimate in humor. That and the pretend to pull a rope thing, which actually just looks like you're rearing back to leap out into traffic.

My kids will be different. :argh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My bike is named Hermes because I have a theme of naming inanimate objects after mythological figures (laptop is Heracles, etc).

Also someone put a pen into my oil tank again. What the hell, man?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Mine's the Ol' Grey Mare or just "The Mare", it's fairly dependable when it wants to be and when it doesn't you'd have an easier time dragging a mule down the trail.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
I have 2 bikes. One is called "Widowmaker", because it tried to kill the last mechanic to work on it.

The other is called "Rocinante" and I'll let the pedia el Wiki explain why:

quote:

Rocinante is Don Quixote's horse in the novel Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. In many ways, Rocinante is not only Don Quixote's horse, but also his double: like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Do you guys celebrate Valentine's Day with your bikes too? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvxs22JJUJs

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My rant? Everyone talking about their bike names in the rant thread. Oooo I'm so edgy.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My bike is named Harley because it's easier explaining that your bike is Harley after they stare blankly at you when you tell them you have a Bandit. :geno:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Deeters posted:

Do you guys celebrate Valentine's Day with your bikes too? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvxs22JJUJs

Vid is more amusing considering Silver's update that he traded her in for a slimmer model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My bikes are named "the drz" "the f11" and "the rv90"

I am a complicated man