Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Alright, so can someone help me to make sure I'm installing Nevada Skies correctly? I've downloaded the 0-7-1 Vanilla Edition and the 0-7 Data. I'm currently using the Nexus mod manager. Apparently I can only have one active at a time, so which one should it be? I've been getting this weird graphics glitch whenever it rains as well, where a big red triangle shows up on the screen in my LoS.

I'd do the data install manually, but the files are all 7z and crap, and I don't want to search for the program to crack them open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
You have to have both 0-7 Data installed and 0-7-1 Vanilla Edition installed. Uninstall both. Then install Data with the Nexus Mod Manager (or FOMM). Then install the Vanilla Edition. The Mod Manager will give you some bullshit about updating and poo poo; just hit no. That's it. Well, make sure the ESM file is activated.

To extract 7z files you'll need an archiver. WinRAR, WinZip, and 7zip (who made the format) are pretty much the most common file archiver for Windows.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
For the first time, I've actually played an immersive mod, I think. I'm really pining for New Vegas Bounties III because I've tracked Marko through countless bounties and killed his brother, but he STILL eluded my grasp. I want to finish this once and for all. Goddamn, NVB was well done, even if it went a little overboard on the loot at times.

EDIT: I must say this about the hunting shotgun silencer (is it added by The Armory?) - there is something wonderfully absurd about taking down a room of fiends with 12-gauge slugs without a one of them noticing. :allears:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 12, 2013

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Where exactly is Lombard Station located? Me and ED-E are up to our necks in guns that I don't want to sell.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Head north of the gas station where you meet Ringo, I believe a map marker is also included.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

There's also a holotape by the bar in Goodsprings saloon, and the key is on a dead NCR trooper inside Jean's Sky Diving.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

So, APEX ENB got updated:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jea80ed6fmxgrwj/Apex+ENB+version+v21+Newest+Version!.rar

It's still very nice looking.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Hot drat, that looks a lot better than some games today.
...Eh, why the hell not, I'll try out an ENB. Anything I should know before taking the plunge?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

using it with FNV4GB requires a specialized version (downloadable from the FNV4GB site) and the injector version of the ENB, as opposed to the wrapper version. I'm pretty sure that's the case, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

You can hit shift-enter in the game to tweak ENB settings in real-time, which is great if you think it's too vivid or too washed out, or that shadows look wonky, or that it would be nice to see the ground at night. The interface is pretty intuitive and it beats the poo poo out of fiddling with the text files while the game's off.

There's also an issue with your gun / hands becoming translucent when you go into iron sights. I believe there are ways to make it better but it's always going to be there to some degree. It's a thing with ENB in general (or at least Skyrim had similar problems).

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

using it with FNV4GB requires a specialized version (downloadable from the FNV4GB site) and the injector version of the ENB, as opposed to the wrapper version. I'm pretty sure that's the case, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've never had a problem using ENB's with the fnv4gb.exe from the nvse page.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
What's the difference between Injector and Wrapper?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The details are lost on me. All I know is that I was using the wrapper version but when I started using FNV4GB I had to switch to the injector version in order for the game to recognize and run the ENB.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

You gotta stick the ENB files into the exe folder. I don't know what specific files so out of caution I just c/p all of 'em into the exe and main folder.

Though I do know that the configurations for the ENB and SweetFX and whatnot definitely draw from the main folder files and not the ones in the exe folder.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/53082/

Anyone given these head mesh replacers a try yet? Any noticable clipping problems?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
This version of Apex seems to have spawned about 9000 presets. Is there any comparison screenshot collection on which to use? And which one are you using, Fereydun?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Boy, Signature Weapons sure is something, ain't it? My current character uses mostly a trail carbine loaded with SWC rounds and it takes down a squad of legionary assassins faster than a brush gun. :stare:

Also, Underground Hideout does no good for me. While I very much like the sorting and stocking mechanics, it causes the hoarder in me to come out violently. I don't even USE any ammo but .308 JSP, .45-70 Govt SWC, and .44 magnum SWC, but I'll be goddamned if I don't pick up every bit of ammo I come across to make my shelves fuller. However, is there an issue with the dynamite shelf or should it only stock 6 regular and 6 long-fuse, both in the same slot? I have like 50 dynamite, why don't I have a nice pyramid like I do of missiles? :saddowns:

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
Yes, there is something about filling out those shelves of ammo in the hideout, isn't there? Regardless of what playstyle I'm using, I feel the need to fill every ammo type's space on the shelves. As for dynamite, I'm not sure why it doesn't stack. It doesn't look like a bug from the way the two are combined into one line (a pyramid of both types would be a little messy), so it's presumably that way on purpose.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is there a reason for an NCR guy to run up to me, yell about how I didn't pay my dues, no one crosses the NCR, he'd been waiting for me to leave the Strip (I was still in Vault 21), and start attacking me even though I was up to that point idolized by the NCR?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Psion posted:

This version of Apex seems to have spawned about 9000 presets. Is there any comparison screenshot collection on which to use? And which one are you using, Fereydun?

I'm currently using the UWRLified preset 4 since it doesn't seem to have a color tint in it's palette- since I'm using a winterized wasteland combination of mods having slightly brown snow would be weird.

The snowy weather changes up the lighting of the outdoors so I'm not really sure how representative that shot is of standard lighting conditions outdoors with APEX.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Is there a reason for an NCR guy to run up to me, yell about how I didn't pay my dues, no one crosses the NCR, he'd been waiting for me to leave the Strip (I was still in Vault 21), and start attacking me even though I was up to that point idolized by the NCR?

It's a glitch that was in the main game. Use a silenced weapon and kill him while hidden.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fereydun posted:

I'm currently using the UWRLified preset 4 since it doesn't seem to have a color tint in it's palette- since I'm using a winterized wasteland combination of mods having slightly brown snow would be weird.

Hmmm? Do tell. I think I wanna go all out and winterize NV next time I play. Sort of like tropical Skyrim for sheer "it's different!" factor.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

It's a combination of this mod adapted for FNV with the TTW script (uses FNV, script+instructions found in first post here), and the LODs from this mod since the former doesn't have LOD textures for stuff (so without 'em places off in the distance would look brown instead of "snow covered"). I would definitely recommend installing them by turning them into FOMOD files because a lot of the stuff is strict texture replacement so when you wanna revert to a regular ol' wasteland you can just deactivate the mods. In fact, it might be possible to just ignore the ESP together and just install the textures? I never tried this but it really seems like the majority of the affected stuff in FNV is related to that.

For the snowy weather and lighting, it's just the "Snowy Weather" weather setting permanently forced from the Nevada Skies URWLified mod.

I don't have any great shots that show it off- it doesn't look like particularly super spectacular but it's a really refreshing change of pace that I personally still think looks better than the desert- probably because of the different environment entirely in the first place. Hopefully some other shots from that set kinda show what it's like:

Also, I recommend installing Vurt's WFO after the mod because the "snowy grass" textures it has are really really low resolution and terrible lookin'. I'll probably just be super lazy and c/p some kinda frost texture over Vurt's grass textures for personal use some day if them not being snow covered bothers me enough.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Finally tried out Tale of Two Wastelands this weekend, my gently caress is it pretty sweet.

Now time to work on getting the perfect mod setup and conversion for everything. CCO and Jsawyer seem to work fine as well at first glance.

I know APEX requires Nevada Skies, which sucks because I don't think it will work in the Capitol Wasteland. Any recommendations for a good ENB that will work in both?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I was pissed at the ending of New Vegas Bounties I because I liked Randall and I was mad that he died. I just got a note from him saying that he beat off the assassination attempt and is trailing Marko through Utah...and that he's proud of me. This mod has some drat good writing and I felt a surge of happiness when I realized who the note was from. :unsmith:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I finished my first playthrough last night. A really neat game, even if it was buggier and less stable than even Mass Effect 3. The stability seemed to get worse as the game progressed, with more frequent crashes and new glitches and forms of crash popping up, like a huge delay when switching screens on the Pip-Boy or being stuck on a loading screen where the wheel is still spinning but the HD isn't being accessed (which would always happen when I tried to load a game while the game was already running once I reached the last few quests). I did nearly all the quests, except for the ones that were mutually exclusive or whose initiation was bugged (For Aud Lang Syne, got all the points I could that weren't tied to two quests I had already completed but I never got the prompt from Arcade to start the quest), and was at level 50 long before I even set foot on the Strip.

For my next playthrough, I was wondering a few things:

How exactly does level scaling work? If it's true that enemies just beef themselves up to match your stats, then the "downside" to the Skilled trait might almost be an advantage if you get good gear ASAP. (Also I just read about the reskilling exploit with Skilled, holy crap)

Is there ever a reason to drink Nuka-Cola or eat irradiated food? Sunset Sarsaparilla seems so common that you don't need other food items unless you're in Hardcore mode, plus you can get blue star caps for Pew Pew, which took me through the endgame almost single-handedly.

What controls vendor restocking? I've read that it's supposed to be every 3 game days, but this often doesn't seem to be the case.

Should I be using chems? I've been a bit wary of them, but I've seen people say addiction is no big deal. Also, does fixer cure addiction or just temporarily get rid of the effects?

Is the best use of HELIOS powering up ARCHIMEDES?

What mods do people consider really essential?

Are Agility and Perception basically only useful for perk requirements? Additionally, how much of a difference does Companion Nerve really make?

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 14, 2013

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

How exactly does level scaling work? If it's true that enemies just beef themselves up to match your stats, then the "downside" to the Skilled trait might almost be an advantage if you get good gear ASAP. (Also I just read about the reskilling exploit with Skilled, holy crap)

The way I understand it, enemies in some areas scale, but have min/max values so you can run into things early that will destroy you, while at higher levels the player is OP. Practically speaking, enemy scaling isn't very noticeable.

quote:

What mods do people consider really essential?

CASM (autosaves) is really good for the corrupted savegame issue (the endless loading you saw). People here have recommended Darnified UI to make the UI better.

quote:

Are Agility and Perception basically only useful for perk requirements? Additionally, how much of a difference does Companion Nerve really make?

If you don't have ED-E as a companion Perception is much more important so you can spot enemies before they spot you. Agility is good for VATS and weapon handling in general (draw/reload/holster speed.)

e: I'm also curious about vendor restocking and:

FNV wiki posted:

If you save in front of a merchant (or more precisely, in the same cell as that merchant), then quit all the way to desktop, then reload that save. Upon reloading that merchant and every merchants in that cell has refreshed inventory. E.g: if you do that in front of Michelle Kerr, all 4 merchants counting her father will have their inventories refreshed.

snooman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 14, 2013

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

The stability issues as the game progresses is related to the ever increasing size of the save-game files. CASM actually helps with this to a degree, since the vanilla save system is probably the buggiest part of the base game.

Nuka-Cola/irradiated food or only useful if you have nothing better in your inventory. As you pointed out, thats really only ever useful in hardcore mode. Vendor restocking happens when the cell the vendor is in refreshes, which is supposed to happen every three days. If you keep passing through the same area, it might not refresh. Or it might not refresh ever, since I've seen Joe Cobb's corpse outside of Goodsprings weeks after the shootout whn I had never been back.

I don't use chems much either, but the addiction effects are more of a nuisance than anything. Fixer is supposed to be a temporary solution, but any doctor in the Mojave can cure addictions for a fee; you can also use the Big MT autodoc. It could become an issue in hardcore mode or the DLCs (especially Dead Money) but I wouldn't stress about it for the most part.

Agility also factors into your run speed, perception increases the distance enemy pips show up on your compass. Charisma is the real dump stat. Companion nerve can be ignored from what I can tell.

For mods, I mentioned CASM. Lots of people plug UI mods and project Nevada, and you can't go wrong with improved texture packs.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Hobo on Fire posted:

The stability issues as the game progresses is related to the ever increasing size of the save-game files. CASM actually helps with this to a degree, since the vanilla save system is probably the buggiest part of the base game.

I wonder if it's partially related to the age of the game. I don't recall having any save issues with FNV until my latest round of replays on updated hardware/software, and now they're common enough that I don't like to rely on autosave + quicksave to bail me out.

quote:

Agility also factors into your run speed, perception increases the distance enemy pips show up on your compass. Charisma is the real dump stat. Companion nerve can be ignored from what I can tell.

Wikia specifically says Agility does not affect run speed in FNV (whether that's correct or not...)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Is there someway to get wrye flash working with the more recent Mod Organizer releases? I've tried making a bat file ("C:\Python27\pythonw.exe "C:\blah\Mopy\Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw") and pointing MO toward that, but all I receive if a blip of the command line window and then nothing. Trying playing with Python33, and that is 64 bit, which MO spits back an error about not being able to inject dlls into 64 bit executables, so I'm doing SOMETHING correctly, I'm just not sure where I am going wrong.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

snooman posted:

If you don't have ED-E as a companion
Does not compute.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

snooman posted:

Wikia specifically says Agility does not affect run speed in FNV (whether that's correct or not...)
It doesn't. It increases your reloading speed and gives you extra APs for VATS (if that's your thing).

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Does not compute.

ED-E is a floating robot that you can add as a companion and gives you an 'Enhanced Sensors' perk which greatly expands the distance that you detect enemies (as red lines on your compass/HUD.)

I never even knew about ED-E until the most recent playthrough and it's nice to run through the wasteland instead of sneaking everywhere--almost game-breakingly nice.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

snooman posted:

ED-E is a floating robot that you can add as a companion and gives you an 'Enhanced Sensors' perk which greatly expands the distance that you detect enemies (as red lines on your compass/HUD.)

I never even knew about ED-E until the most recent playthrough and it's nice to run through the wasteland instead of sneaking everywhere--almost game-breakingly nice.
What I meant was that I don't see why you would not have ED-E in your party unless it was mandatory (DLC, Rex's quest). Since you can get him really early even without pumping repair by grabbing the components to fix him from Lone Wolf Radio, and grab his first upgrade from Lonesome Road without much trouble, you should be able to use him for essentially the entire game. If he's always in the party, PER becomes fairly meaningless aside from having 6 for Perk requirements.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
When it comes down to it, there's not really a good reason to use Rex over ED-E besides personal preference, especially if you have Lonesome Road installed. Even before getting any upgrades from the DLC, ED-E comes upgraded with use as a portable ammo press and crafting workbench, and after getting the upgrades, there's no real competition at all.

It's kind of sad really, it'd be nice if there were more reasons to use Rex over ED-E. Sadly, I don't think anyone's created a mod to balance this out by adding more content to Rex, as far as I'm aware.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Renditious posted:

When it comes down to it, there's not really a good reason to use Rex over ED-E besides personal preference, especially if you have Lonesome Road installed. Even before getting any upgrades from the DLC, ED-E comes upgraded with use as a portable ammo press and crafting workbench, and after getting the upgrades, there's no real competition at all.

It's kind of sad really, it'd be nice if there were more reasons to use Rex over ED-E. Sadly, I don't think anyone's created a mod to balance this out by adding more content to Rex, as far as I'm aware.

Rex is a loving cyborg dog, and he's a very good boy. That is your reason.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

snooman posted:

I think it was supposed to be a joke about ever not having ED-E. :shobon:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Ack, just realized that I posted that stuff in the mod thread when I meant to post them in the general thread. Sorry about that.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Is there someway to get wrye flash working with the more recent Mod Organizer releases? I've tried making a bat file ("C:\Python27\pythonw.exe "C:\blah\Mopy\Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw") and pointing MO toward that, but all I receive if a blip of the command line window and then nothing. Trying playing with Python33, and that is 64 bit, which MO spits back an error about not being able to inject dlls into 64 bit executables, so I'm doing SOMETHING correctly, I'm just not sure where I am going wrong.

I've gotten it to work using the debug mode bat file that comes with wrye flash. Just remove the "-d" flag from the line where flash is launched so it doesn't do debug mode after all.

MO seems to work fine except when it comes to installing Unified Hud where its internal fomod installer bugs out. There's a bunch of interface mods that all work better with uHud managing them, so this is painful. Is there a workaround short of going back to flash + FOMM to manage my mods again?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I've never made a FONV mod but I'm bored and thinking it might be fun / useful to add some science / survival crafting items into the game, maybe stuff from Tactics (afterburner gum, mutie, etc). One day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Whoever spoiled Beyond Boulder Dome, thank you. Because I would have never, ever bothered or gotten as far as I have in it without knowing that this was coming:

So far this has definitely been the high point of the mod because look at that oh my god.