Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Neowyrm posted:

The subplot with the weird lady was oddly enthralling for me. I don't know what it says about Rick going forward, but I enjoyed it

I liked this part too, probably because it was messed up on so many levels. You start off thinking the chick is a zombie, then she might be a talking zombie, then you get this eerie foreboding about who or whats back at the camp and then theres the bag.

She probably re-animated too since pacifist doesn't wanna carry a gun anymore Rick just walked away from the whole scene. Would be awesome if she shows up somewhere with hubby head :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Finndo posted:

Naw man it ain't like that. The Governor stay the Governor.

I hope Bob finds an orange couch and insists that they take it back to the prison yard.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Surlaw posted:

He had an unknown ailment that will obviously be part of the plot in the next few episodes. No he wasn't bitten.

My educated guess is that he had bacterial meningitis. Rapid onset, flulike symptoms, fever...it fits. It also doesn't matter.

But yeah, him coughing and spluttering into the shower cistern reminds me of the guy in Cassandra Crossing coughing and sneezing weaponized plague germs into the train's rice bowl.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There was one thing in the episode that didn't go where I expected.

When Rick found the gun buried I thought it was going to be in the hand of a buried body, which would then start moving.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Capn Beeb posted:

I hope Bob finds an orange couch and insists that they take it back to the prison yard.
Is there room in D's chess metaphor for zombies?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Neowyrm posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not how ceilings work? They were walking around fine before the people showed up. And then the whole loving thing was done in.
Come to think of it how did the helicopter even land on the roof without collapsing the fucker?

America is often ridiculed for poor construction standards, but I'm pretty sure that malls don't have roofs built literally from tinfoil and cardboard. Adding to the "chopper resting on a sheet of butcher paper" ridiculousness, where did the roof zombies come from? They hardly arrived in that one helicopter (I'd assume the helicopter landed on the roof to evacuate people, as the horde was tearing down the roof access, then the crew got caught up in the fighting and crashed as it was trying to bail out). And why didn't they leave the way they came / fall off the roof after all the ruckus that's been presumably going around the mall as the survivors scavenged and explored the camp?

Also, you deserve to die for all the wine you ruined, guy whose name I don't remember! :argh:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

steinrokkan posted:

Also, you deserve to die for all the wine you ruined, guy whose name I don't remember! :argh:

Unless the inside of that place was consistently cool, that wine was ruined a long time ago.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Well in all fairness, the roof was fine until he put the wine bottle back :v:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I didn't really catch this, but the walker in the beginning of the episode had bleeding eyes.

Patrick also had bleeding eyes when he died.

E: Disease associated with bleeding eyes for the chronically nerdy. I bet it's Toxic Shock Syndrome :v:. It might be measles. If the writers are smart, they'll never say what it is.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 15, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would assume it's food borne considering they spent a lot of time focusing on that sick pig, and we saw the kid cooking something earlier that he may have eaten off screen.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I hope the spin off series is about pre-apocalypse Daryl and Merle.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Surlaw posted:

I hope the spin off series is about pre-apocalypse Daryl and Merle.

Andrea as a civil rights lawyer.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
Was re-watching the roof scene and there's a nice little bit of continuity for any teleporting zombie haters. When Bob is trapped and yells "Hey!" you can see the zombie that gets Zack behind him, crawling towards the wine shelf.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love the line that woman gave him in the forest when Rick asked where the man she was with was: He's just ahead.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Was Rick's "Three Questions" a call back (no pun intended) to the Rick hallucination scene in the prison basement in S3? The "How many walkers have you killed? How many people have you killed? Why?" reminded me of Jim grilling Rick for some reason, but I haven't had a chance to go back and check the episode to be sure.

I thought the episode was a little on the slow side but it seemed like they were trying to get a lot of the build-up out of the way early so that they can focus on big things over the next few episodes. So far I'm cautiously optimistic!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I thought the favorite statues at the airport question would be one of them, as in there was no children-playing-leapfrog statue and now Rick knows something's up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was the hallucinated phone call questions. Which makes sense, as the questions all have the same source (Rick's tortured soul)

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

moths posted:

I thought the favorite statues at the airport question would be one of them, as in there was no children-playing-leapfrog statue and now Rick knows something's up.

This was the weirdest thing to me. In a situation like this where you ask a question like that on tv, it's always a test. You're always asking about something fake to check if she's telling the truth. And when she responds in a vague way and Rick gives a very specific look I thought "that's it, he knows she's lying now." But then they never followed up on that, and the internet showed us the statue was indeed real. It just seemed like oddly unnecessary conversation. I know, useless dialogue in the Walking Dead!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

There was one thing in the episode that didn't go where I expected.

When Rick found the gun buried I thought it was going to be in the hand of a buried body, which would then start moving.

I just took it as a corny metaphor that his violent, paranoid, schizophrenic and psychotic self was gonna get resurfaced..

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Neowyrm posted:

Bads:

This was really the most nonchalant season premiere of any show I've ever seen.

Oh boy, a zombie-amidst-us subplot. I'm so excited.

The helicopter reveal was a cruel cock-tease. I was hoping there would be more significant plot development and maybe hopefully some military involvement in the plot but no.

These are pretty dumb complaints.

What do you mean by nonchalant?

There hasn't been a zombies-amidst-us subplot for the entirety of the show. They wisely(?) saved it for a situation where it will do a lot of damage and where a placid surface can be disrupted by the horror of having to bust the skull of someone you played with or hung out with in the last couple of days open. If you can't see that premise as being strong frankly I'm really curious about why you're watching a show about zombies.

Why on earth would there be military anything more than a year out from the collapse of all society? It's already been established that nearby bases were destroyed and overrun, all federal refugee centers seem like they just became death traps (like the prison is becoming), and any time we've seen surviving personnel they've been small and dispersed bands.

People really want to go out of their way to misinterpret this show. I guess it's the internet's hate for it that works in their favor but god drat.

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 15, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I understand that in the thread this year that my complaints about the show must be valid and explained, but does this rule also apply to complaints about Chris Hardwick?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

I understand that in the thread this year that my complaints about the show must be valid and explained, but does this rule also apply to complaints about Chris Hardwick?

Only if you can think of something original to say. Hellbans otherwise.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I got the impression that all the zombies were on the roof from a helicopter evacuation gone wrong. They weren't zombies when they went up there. I really like that they're putting more thought into these sets than "they were driving and then suddenly a hundred fatal head wounds happened."

It's also a little more sad that way. All those people probably starved with inaccessible food twelve feet below them.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

moths posted:

I got the impression that all the zombies were on the roof from a helicopter evacuation gone wrong. They weren't zombies when they went up there. I really like that they're putting more thought into these sets than "they were driving and then suddenly a hundred fatal head wounds happened."

It's also a little more sad that way. All those people probably starved with inaccessible food twelve feet below them.

I was thinking the helicopter crash killed a few of the people trying to evacuate (definitely the dude who got cut in half) who turned and infected the remaining survivors before they could find a way down. Either that or they were already being swarmed before the helicopter took off, which might have caused the crash in the first place.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 15, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think the hacked off foot guy also collaborates that scenario.

I'm just so glad this season opener happened. There was so very much to love.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

moths posted:

I think the hacked off foot guy also collaborates that scenario.

I'm just so glad this season opener happened. There was so very much to love.

I think that with a end date in sight and a new head writer who showed off how he envisioned the show with Clear that the show likely will become a lot stronger. Or at least aim itself towards a final word on itself.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Mexcillent posted:

I think that with a end date in sight

Say what?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Mexcillent posted:

I think that with a end date in sight and a new head writer who showed off how he envisioned the show with Clear that the show likely will become a lot stronger. Or at least aim itself towards a final word on itself.

Lol what? the end date in sight for this series is 20never

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kirkman said he has no intentions of ending his comic book, but a TV series has a limited shelf life, and a show like "Walking Dead" could maybe last six or seven seasons.

http://www.examiner.com/article/walking-dead-rumors-tv-show-might-end-up-as-a-theatrical-movie-by-the-end

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Verdugo posted:

Kirkman said he has no intentions of ending his comic book, but a TV series has a limited shelf life, and a show like "Walking Dead" could maybe last six or seven seasons.

http://www.examiner.com/article/walking-dead-rumors-tv-show-might-end-up-as-a-theatrical-movie-by-the-end

Shows have a limited shelf life because everyone gets more expensive year by year. If you can just keep replacing the cast *(and show runner!)* you could do this endlessly. Or until ratings nosedive.

e: They would fire Kirkman on the spot if he wanted to end the series. This ain't Breaking Bad.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

No More Heroes posted:

I liked this part too, probably because it was messed up on so many levels. You start off thinking the chick is a zombie, then she might be a talking zombie...

I was really hoping this was the direction they were going. A different strain of biter-itis.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Verdugo posted:

There are plenty of TV series that go on for a very long time and being AMC's cash cow right now they have no "end in sight"

also Examiner.com is a crap site where "writers" are paid per view on their articles and anyone can become a "writer" I'd put more stock in a Facebook post as evidence.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Verdugo posted:

Over 16 million people watched the premiere live (over 10 million of them were in the 18-49 demo). It's not going away any time soon.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

rypakal posted:

This ain't Breaking Bad.

They should've made a one episode halloween special of the Breaking Bad characters in a zombie apocalypse scenario. Breaking Dead.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

various cheeses posted:

They should've made a one episode halloween special of the Breaking Bad characters in a zombie apocalypse scenario. Breaking Dead.

Cooking Dead

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

steinrokkan posted:

America is often ridiculed for poor construction standards

We are? Most everything built around here seems pretty structurally sound.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Finndo posted:

I was really hoping this was the direction they were going. A different strain of biter-itis.

Okay surely I'm missing something, this is all a joke right? People thinking that the woman was a talking zombie? And this is all some elaborate haw haw at those people, 'you know what would make The Walking Dead good? If the zombies could talk!'

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She was presented with zombie traits. Initially.

She was a zombie anyway. Eating people, stuck in the past, not living.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

euphronius posted:

She was presented with zombie traits. Initially.

She was a zombie anyway. Eating people, stuck in the past, not living.

Oh I'm not arguing that she wasn't meant to look like a zombie, but people genuinely thought that it was a new strain of zombie that could talk. And that just blows my mind. You have to be able to think to talk, unless all they say is 'BRAINS' and 'PLEASE DON'T GO, I WANT TO EAT YOUR BRAINS!' and if they can think they aren't really zombies are they? Isn't that just vampires? 'Like people, but hard to kill and compulsively dines on human flesh.'

Wasn't there a retarded twilight rip-off with talking zombies? Is that really what people want The Walking Dead to be?

I just can't think of any possible scenario where a talking zombie would make ANY sense, or in any way be a good thing entertainment/story wise. The guy at the CDC already explained how the zombie virus worked! The brain is basically destroyed and can never be recovered! This is metal gear solid levels of biology understanding if you believe the zombie virus would just randomly switch to talking zombies because (???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"The virus has mutated!! "

Its not that hard to imagine. It would change the whole show though.

• Locked thread