Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

I have a rules question!

Tigurius gets to re-roll reserve rolls for units from the same detachment as him. I have Tigurius as an allied HQ choice for my Tau army, and I have attached him to a Crisis Team during deployment.

If I deepstrike them, can he re-roll failed reserve rolls? As he is a unit from the same detachment... as himself.

Conundrum!

Doesn't he have to be on the table to use his ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
First you cross, and then you post!

The Sex Cannon posted:

I finished these guys today:

Here's their full squad:

Hey SRM! Remember this guy?

I'm going to start him up tonight.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Awesome! Can't wait to see that dude done to the same standard as his buddies right there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dirty Job posted:

Holy poo poo, the new Sisters of Battle prices are absolutely ridiculous, even by GW standards.

I saw the "One Click Collection" after not buying any Warhammer for about six years. $80 for an army deal! That's like $20 cheaper than my Bolt Action army cost! ...except now "One Click Collection" isn't an army - it's ten models.

The hell of it is they could do nearly the entire army in plastic with three or four sprues. A core sisters sprue, and complimentary sprues with pistols & jump-packs, one with heavy and special weapons, and one with bolters and personality bits.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Haha! I have found my dice, and I have also found all of my old, pretty poorly painted chaos space marines from back in the day. If ripping them limb from limb to turn them into loyalist chapters with my current bits box is wrong, I don't want to be right. (Tip of the day, the old Khorne Zerker legs are awesome for assault marine poses)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Here's a house rule I've experimented with, and seems to be work well enough. If you roll the Scouring mission, instead of assigning each objective a value (then having to shuffle them around and place them without knowing what they are), have each one worth D3 points. Roll for each one right before someone tries to seize the initiative, and roll to see what they are when a scoring unit gets close enough to claim it. E

Protip: if you play beerhammer, mark the undersides of your next six-pack's caps with the correct values and tuck them in your dice bag or box. Now you have objective tokens for the Scouring.

E: That's not a bad houserule, though, and it somewhat mitigates the possibility of one player getting all the juicy objectives in his or her zone.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hey AbusePuppy, do you think a Farsight Enclave army can work at 1500pt level? My next local event is pulling the points down a bit this time and I failed to make/execute this list at 1850 a few days ago and I can use all the help I can get.

It seems like xv-8s can be kited reasonably well unless I go for deepstrikes but I figured that would be too risky and probably too late. I read praises for units like pathfinders and broadsides but I don't get the love for stationary units who are stuck at 36".

I have played around with the idea of Vanilla Tau, Marine or Eldar allies (leaning eldar) to support the suits but I don't know if they are really worth their points.

Any insight would be great!
Farsight is actually pretty on-par with the normal Tau list, it just plays its game a little differently and makes some different build choices. Other than the obvious option for Crisis as troops (which you should definitely take advantage of, but not use exclusively), the two really relevant things to keep in mind is that buying Bonding Knives makes FW a lot less viable and that your selection of Signature Systems is very different and usually worse.

As far as allies go, like regular Tau you're going to want something to shore up your scoring units; Eldar are always good, since they get you rerolls on the cheap via a Farseer and Windriders for nabbing those distant objectives; SM have a ton of new tricks, and some cheap Tacticals could make a good backfield objective-holder (possibly with Tigurius leading to bring psychic utility); vanilla Tau are potentially tricky, but they do open up some nice crossover options, like taking a MSSS/CnC Commander to join the Farsight Crisis and taking FW without the tax to be joined by the Farsight's Fireblade.

I would probably start the list with a Riptide using the Earth Caste Array, a unit of three Crisis with either Plasma or Missiles (depending on what you think you need), a couple of solo suits with Fusion or maybe Missiles, and then 1-2 Kroot units. From there, fill in Broadsides, tanks, allies, etc, as you see fit; if at all possible, you probably want to bring the Talisman of Arthas Moloch, since that thing is pretty good (and it's really hilarious with a psyker ally joining up- 4d6 trying to get one 4+ is good.)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

Haha! I have found my dice, and I have also found all of my old, pretty poorly painted chaos space marines from back in the day. If ripping them limb from limb to turn them into loyalist chapters with my current bits box is wrong, I don't want to be right. (Tip of the day, the old Khorne Zerker legs are awesome for assault marine poses)
My old Dark Angels (on DA army #2 :v:) had a Chaplain made with Berserker body and legs, loyalist/DA arms, and a Chaos Marine skull head. He looked awesome, and it was a super simple kitbash.

PeterWeller posted:

Protip: if you play beerhammer, mark the undersides of your next six-pack's caps with the correct values and tuck them in your dice bag or box. Now you have objective tokens for the Scouring.
That's actually a really good idea! I also like beer caps as wound markers. You haven't played beerhammer til you've heard "My Carnifex just took another wound, someone get me a beer!"

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I have these poker chips that I use. They're plastic, but a bit better than the really cheap plastic chips you see. I painted six of them for markers, with one side being pretty simple, and the other side having the numbers for the scouring. They work pretty well.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went into the local GW today to pick up a small order I made and saw the Centurions in person. They're actually pretty cool! So bulky and stubby and though they did manage to fit a marine inside, I'm still confused as to where his hands go =S

I got myself an Autarch on bike kit, along with a bunch of small flying bases and paints. I was worried about the Autarch because of him being in finecast. Opened him up in the store and you know what? He's perfect. No holes, no divots, no missing details. His lance isn't bent, which I'm over the moon about and I'm digging his sabre/power weapon. The ONLY thing that's off, though, is the guard on his shoulder that bends back out and away from his face. It got slightly smooshed. It's not fused, just pressed a bit flat against the shoulder... Take hot water to it, maybe? :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, hot water will let you bend Finecast stuff pretty easily. As for how Centurions fit, I think the miniatures designer said something like "I didn't really think of it, just imagine he's crossed his arms!" or something similarly silly. I imagine the Marine is basically holding a Playstation controller really close to their chest. I'm actually starting to consider a unit of them with gravcannons. Actually, if I did what Dave Taylor did, they'd look pretty good in Valhallan colors as tesla troopers...

HerrMorden
Sep 5, 2004

Thought begets Heresy, Heresy begets Retribution.
So I just watched my first 40k game in its entirety, which was nice. 1500 points of Tau vs Nurgle CSM/Daemons.

Highlights of the game include:

Great Unclean One failing to do anything after getting his fat rear end stuck in a river. Blown away by railguns and overwatch.

Longstrike and his bullshit overwatch railgun of doom. I think the Tau dude was wrong on that, but he failed to do anything more than kill one Plague marine and put a wound on the GUO.

Tau support fire is nasty, and so is all their crazy invulnerable saves from shield drones and such.

2 Obliterators can punch out a Riptide if they can survive all its bullshit.

Cultists can drown Kroot in bodies. 3 Plague Marines can beat up an entire squad of Kroot, somehow.

Poor Helldrake was intercepted right off the bat, and Immobilized. It still managed to flambe a unit of Crisis Suits before getting knocked out!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

SRM posted:

Yeah, hot water will let you bend Finecast stuff pretty easily. As for how Centurions fit, I think the miniatures designer said something like "I didn't really think of it, just imagine he's crossed his arms!" or something similarly silly. I imagine the Marine is basically holding a Playstation controller really close to their chest. I'm actually starting to consider a unit of them with gravcannons. Actually, if I did what Dave Taylor did, they'd look pretty good in Valhallan colors as tesla troopers...

You have to do this now. You posted about it, now you have to do it. :colbert:

Also please remove the crotch plates when you do this.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Cross posting from oath thread:

Some old AoBR terminators I tried the army painter primer/quick shade/matte finish stuff on, and a converted Calgar:

I'm getting a bit better at edge highlights, but my freehanding is still really shakey:

And finally my first attempt at greenstuff (hair and ammo tubes):

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

Maybe if you tear off the dick plate. I know its a dead horse, but its really hard to salvage a model when it starts life looking like the Michelin Man.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Does Tank Hunters apply to grav weapons?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
It technically does not, since the grav roll against a vehicle is not actually a penetration roll.

And yeah, the Centurion's arms are supposed to be crossed in front of their chest- you can actually see it on the model if you look really close.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So, if I'm using the IF chapter tactics, it seems the best choice would be lascannons on centurions, right?

I mean, Bolter Drill is superfluous, because all their bolt weapons are twin-linked anyway, and they don't get any bonus to using grav-cannons.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

SRM posted:

My old Dark Angels (on DA army #2 :v:) had a Chaplain made with Berserker body and legs, loyalist/DA arms, and a Chaos Marine skull head. He looked awesome, and it was a super simple kitbash.

Those skullheads are the best. My army has its helmets painted bone white like a skull as part of its motif, and I have been using a bunch of those skull helms because they look so badass. In fact, I spent last night listening to the IC podcas and filing all of the chaos markings off of the old metal Chaos Lord in Termy armor, then removing his head so I could replace it with a skull helm.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

AbusePuppy posted:

Farsight is actually pretty on-par with the normal Tau list, it just plays its game a little differently and makes some different build choices.

Where are you supposed to stick Farsight? IMO the supplement list isn't worth it anymore because of the Farsight tax.

VogeGandire posted:

So, if I'm using the IF chapter tactics, it seems the best choice would be lascannons on centurions, right?

I mean, Bolter Drill is superfluous, because all their bolt weapons are twin-linked anyway, and they don't get any bonus to using grav-cannons.

There's no point to putting anything except grav cannons on the Centurions. Every other configuration is outclassed by basic Space Marine units. Three Centurion Devastators with just lascannons (yeah, you'd probably buy the missile launchers too but hear me out) cost 250 points for three twin-linked lascannon shots (and some hurricane bolter shots that do nothing against vehicles.) 140 points buys you a Predator with a twin-linked lascannon turret and two lascannon sponsons, and I'd even consider it more durable than the Centurions in many situations (plasma barely glances AV13 and no one seems to bring melta anymore, because they are dumb.) Yeah, it doesn't get Tank Hunters but it's half the cost of the Centurion Devastators. Predators are especially resilient against Riptides, whereas the Cents will immediately eat pie plates to the face and evaporate.

e: Even if you buy them missile launchers, which makes them slightly more point-efficient, two Predator Annihilators cost exactly the same and blah blah, see above.

e2: Don't get me wrong, I am still of the opinion that grav cannon Centurions are mediocre at best, but at least they bring something unique to the table.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 15, 2013

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Phyresis posted:

Where are you supposed to stick Farsight? IMO the supplement list isn't worth it anymore because of the Farsight tax.

You don't have to take Farsight himself. You can take another HQ as your warlord. The lovely thing is that the Eight are only available if he is the warlord.

But if you do take him, I imagine you put him with whatever squad you want to deeepstrike.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
No, they fixed it. You have to take Farsight.

Bavius posted:

Sad to say but they updated my iOS version to clarify that mess of a rule. I really wish it worked the way you're describing.

Check it:

So not only does Farsight have to be your HQ, he has to be your warlord (my allies plan ruined).

Dude, this is you. So were you and MSP wrong before? I don't have an iPad and I didn't even bother reading the little blurb you posted.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 15, 2013

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It doesn't say that, and that's not what Bavius was saying. He was pointing out you need to take Farsight as your warlord to take the 8, whereas before you didn't need to. That quote only says "when taking Farsight", not "you must take Farsight".

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just tossing this out there, but if anyone is in the Nottingham area Friday afternoon/evening myself and a couple of my 40K buddies will be at Warhammer World to take in the sites, try a Belly Buster and probably play some Kill Team games. Drop me a PM or email if you want to meet up! krushgroove169 at gmail

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

AbusePuppy posted:

I would probably start the list with a Riptide using the Earth Caste Array, a unit of three Crisis with either Plasma or Missiles (depending on what you think you need), a couple of solo suits with Fusion or maybe Missiles, and then 1-2 Kroot units. From there, fill in Broadsides, tanks, allies, etc, as you see fit; if at all possible, you probably want to bring the Talisman of Arthas Moloch, since that thing is pretty good (and it's really hilarious with a psyker ally joining up- 4d6 trying to get one 4+ is good.)

I have 11-14 xv-8s (2 could be comanders) with all gear magnetized. 2 riptides, also magnetized and two battle tanks that can be skyray or hammerhead of any variant. I also have about 20ish firewariors, 18 marker drones, 18 gundrones and like 30-40 kroot. Then bad stuff like 3 pirhanas and a devilfish.

I didn't think of taking solo suits. It would be 53-ish points for BS3 suicide 2x fusion guy, but he only gets one hit on average. Not unlike a solo'din I suppose. Do you not like full squads? What do you think of drones in crisis units? How would you plan out the markerlights, or would you try to avoid them and TL your weapons and just deal with not ignoring cover?

This is my attempt.

**gently caress, those drones in the plasma unit should be "6x Gun Drone"**

Commander sits with Missile/Marker unit and points 8 BS-5 markers at the scaryest thing. Then a riptide or two uses those markers and hopefully cripples it. Maybe the rest of the troops hide in reserve? I should try to play this more passive and let my deepstrikes work in my favor. Also I have been using 'Command' warlord table, though 'Strategic' will probably be better since I will want that +1 reserve.

*maybe that railhead should downgrade to skyray? I don't have extra marker units to give it the 3 ML it usually needs.

Phyresis posted:

You don't have to take Farsight. That quote is saying that with Farisght as Warlord the bodyguard unit is different, but not saying you must take him.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Ignoring the almost comical amount of flash on the drat thing, can someone tell me why this bit looks like it's going mouldy around the shoulder pad? I'm guessing that isn't normal.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Is that Finecast? :stare:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Mango Polo posted:

Is that Finecast? :stare:

Looks more like recast to me.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My guess is that's a dodgy resin mix. Could be bits of the mould but as far as I know they use bright pink for that (based on the bits I kept finding bonded to my FC models).

Whatever the cause, that's a lovely quality cast, ask for a replacement.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
How does GW normally go about replacing individual models? The servitors in the kit are fine, or as fine as finecast can be at least. It's literally just that one bit that's come out looking like rear end.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Uh, nice overrule, FW!.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sykic posted:

How does GW normally go about replacing individual models? The servitors in the kit are fine, or as fine as finecast can be at least. It's literally just that one bit that's come out looking like rear end.

I recently had a missing sword + hand from my Harlequin Troupe Master, I just emailed support with what was wrong, told them the store I bought it from - they specified GW store too - and they mailed me out a replacement tiny bit of sprue with the weapon on it, no charge, nothing else. Imagine they'd do the same for your one bit as well.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Colour advice needed.

I've finished the first tactical squad for my Subjugators, but I need advice for which colour to do their bases.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Sykic posted:

Ignoring the almost comical amount of flash on the drat thing, can someone tell me why this bit looks like it's going mouldy around the shoulder pad? I'm guessing that isn't normal.

Either poorly mixed resin, or something moisture-related. Resin foams a bit like that when it cures in contact with moisture. Heck, even old resin, stored without inert gas to top it off, can collect enough moisture from humidity to spoil it. Try making sure everything is nice and dry to see if it happens again. If so, it's probably the resin "spoiled"

Taking a second look, it's almost assuredly moisture. When I do a crappy job of mixing I usually still get a smooth surface. This looks like the time I washed out an oral syringe, tried to dry it (but not really too hard) and used it to inject resin before it was none dry. The moisture could be in the mold, the syringe, or the resin.

Germ fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 15, 2013

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Well, at least they answered the important question. :v:

I'm seriously considering the Fire Raptor. It's pretty much a crazy space A-10 and it's pretty cheap, points-wise at least, for what it is. Plus, I play Dark Angels so it's not like it has any real competition. I think the chaos version might be better with the reaper turrets though. The Storm Eagle may even be better if I'm being honest and that's just an overgrown Storm Raven. I'm betting it'll cost about the same; 93 pounds ($150) is expensive, but I do want it.

Oh god, is this how it starts? :ohdear: I've never ordered anything from Forge World before and I know I'd add the two Horus Heresy books, a chaplain dreadnought, and some other things to the order.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
A friend of mine who originally wanted me to paint him up a Chaos Demon army has changed his mind and wants to go Necron instead. I'm pretty sure he's gone ahead and ordered the Battleforce and sent it to me to build and paint for him. He will want to have it done by next month so we can play some beer hammer around Thanksgiving time. Knowing absolutely nothing about Necrons, I have a few questions.

What would you guys recommend (He'll be playing against my Dark Angels):

1) I assemble the Immortals as, Deathmarks/Immortals. (Gauss Blasters/Carbines)?
2) Ghost Ark or Doomsday Ark?
3) Warriors in 5's, 10's, or 20's, which I'm guessing will depend on 1 and 2.
4) Obviously he'll need a HQ, suggestions?

Finally any suggestions on a reasonable colour scheme that I can paint the entire Battleforce in within about 4/5 weeks, bearing in mind I've still got a few DA left to paint. I'm open to some far out suggestions, as I'm not adverse to mixing it up a bit (remember the Bone coloured Dark Eldar).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
A Chaos army with a Warpsmith, 3 Drakes and 3 Fire Raptors with reaper turrets sounds dirty.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
So hey, Prince August is having a one-day 50% off sale on everything. This should include the bag of 80 guys they sell.

$15 for 80 count-as Guardsman :getin:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Lungboy posted:

A Chaos army with a Warpsmith, 3 Drakes and 3 Fire Raptors with reaper turrets sounds dirty.

It sounds dirty because your opponent is going to drag you into an alley and throw you in a dumpster for being a piece of trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

richyp posted:

A friend of mine who originally wanted me to paint him up a Chaos Demon army has changed his mind and wants to go Necron instead. I'm pretty sure he's gone ahead and ordered the Battleforce and sent it to me to build and paint for him. He will want to have it done by next month so we can play some beer hammer around Thanksgiving time. Knowing absolutely nothing about Necrons, I have a few questions.

What would you guys recommend (He'll be playing against my Dark Angels):

1) I assemble the Immortals as, Deathmarks/Immortals. (Gauss Blasters/Carbines)?
2) Ghost Ark or Doomsday Ark?
3) Warriors in 5's, 10's, or 20's, which I'm guessing will depend on 1 and 2.
4) Obviously he'll need a HQ, suggestions?

Finally any suggestions on a reasonable colour scheme that I can paint the entire Battleforce in within about 4/5 weeks, bearing in mind I've still got a few DA left to paint. I'm open to some far out suggestions, as I'm not adverse to mixing it up a bit (remember the Bone coloured Dark Eldar).

1) Immortals are a solid Troop choice, but Deathmarks can add some variety to the list (and can be used to totally cheese-out a Cryptek with a AP1 flamer). If they're already getting a bunch of Warriors, it might be nice to add in some Deepstriking trouble. With the advent of so many new Monstrous Creatures, it's nice to drop a unit in and force 5-6 saves.

2) GHOST ARK! They are one of the best Troop transports around and are incredible dangerous. Either one will drive you mad assembling, though.

3) Generally 10+ is a good choice unless you're throwing minimum-sized units into transports for a cheap way to get another Night Scythe onto the table. If he's using a Ghost Ark, you'll want either 9 or 10 because an attached Cryptek or HQ will use up a capacity spot.

4) Most Necron HQs are very solid. A good deal is buying an Annihilation Barge because it comes with a Necron Overlord in the box. In small games I like using Illuminor Szeras because he's a cheap AP2 missile launcher that modifies a Troop unit to be better. Destroyer Lords are the go-to for strong tournament-play HQ, as they combine very nicely with Canoptek Wraiths. Without Wraiths though, I'd go for a named HQ that changes up the army play or a relatively cheap Overlord with Mindshackle Scarabs and Warscythe to attach to one of the Warrior blocks. Overlords can be made much more resilient with more wargear, but they become very expensive very quickly and if the attached block suffers enough losses to cause a Leadership test all of it might get blown away in a Sweeping Advance anyway (go I2!).

Regarding the color selection, I know it's been done to death but I'm a fan of straight silver with an accent color of some kind.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 15, 2013

• Locked thread