Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'm on holiday in iceland and my nexus 10 can't seem to get my location for using it as a satnav. MY nexus 4 is finding it fine but it bit too small to be useful, any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Nova launcher can remove the notification bar too.

That's only for when it's on the home screen.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shannow posted:

I'm on holiday in iceland and my nexus 10 can't seem to get my location for using it as a satnav. MY nexus 4 is finding it fine but it bit too small to be useful, any ideas?
It probably has out of date satellite data. You can either leave GPS running for an hour (it should take less, usually 10-15mins, but GPS runs at like 16Bps or something hilarious) or you can connect to Wi-Fi and then open GPS and it'll grab the data from the internet instead. Once it connects once then the data is good for a few days at least, not sure exactly.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Tunga posted:

It probably has out of date satellite data. You can either leave GPS running for an hour (it should take less, usually 10-15mins, but GPS runs at like 16Bps or something hilarious) or you can connect to Wi-Fi and then open GPS and it'll grab the data from the internet instead. Once it connects once then the data is good for a few days at least, not sure exactly.

Been here for over 24 hours now, connected to wifi and via my phones data connection and it still cant locate me. Which seems odd.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just to confirm, you have tried using GPS while connected to the internet, and waited a few minutes? If that's the case then I have no idea, sorry :/ . Reboot the device?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

smr posted:

You're not kidding; my face visibly fell and I muttered an "aw, you fuckin' kidding me?" according to the wife when I loaded up a book for the first time and saw that the battery indicator stayed persistent. The iOS version of the app and, apparently, the Fire version (though it's bizarre that there's not a single screenshot of an open book in the Kindle app on Amazon's product page for this thing) properly hide it. I immediately looked for a setting, because I can certainly understand some folks maybe wanting a persistent notifications bar, but there's no options to control the behavior.

FYI, this looks to be a screen-size-specific choice by Amazon. The entire notification bar in the Kindle app hides on my Nexus 4. Might be resolution dependent too, I suppose. Not sure what it does on a 2012 Nexus 7.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

JoeMB posted:

That's only for when it's on the home screen.
I...didnt know that. Thanks.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

FYI, this looks to be a screen-size-specific choice by Amazon. The entire notification bar in the Kindle app hides on my Nexus 4. Might be resolution dependent too, I suppose. Not sure what it does on a 2012 Nexus 7.

I can confirm that the notification bar is there (but dimmed) with the Kindle app for the 2012 Nexus 7 too.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Tunga posted:

This is not a conclusion you can logically reach if you have a task manager installed. Chrome has background sync and such, it could easily get hosed up by something killing it over and over again.

Only reason it got installed was cause the battery was draining so fast to begin with. My battery problems were 100% chromes fault, and are now gone with it being uninstalled.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Evil Canadian posted:

Only reason it got installed was cause the battery was draining so fast to begin with. My battery problems were 100% chromes fault, and are now gone with it being uninstalled.
Animated GIFs will absolutely murder your battery life because Android's webkit handles them improperly. This is a problem on the forums since there's lots of animated avatars. This is the reason Awful disables GIF animation by default.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shannow posted:

Been here for over 24 hours now, connected to wifi and via my phones data connection and it still cant locate me. Which seems odd.

I would also download something like GPS Test, which I would then use reset your GPS data or whatever the app calls it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Which big box retailer that sells the Nexus 7 has has the best return policy? Preferably 14+ days 100% money back.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hadlock posted:

Which big box retailer that sells the Nexus 7 has has the best return policy? Preferably 14+ days 100% money back.

Staples does 14 days and if you use certain credit cards you may have more. Amex gives 90 days for up to $300 per item.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Animated GIFs will absolutely murder your battery life because Android's webkit handles them improperly. This is a problem on the forums since there's lots of animated avatars. This is the reason Awful disables GIF animation by default.

Yeah I'd guess this is your problem more than anything. I'd use Firefox before I used Dolphin, in any case. They've had some security concerns before.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Well I'm pretty much ready to order a Nexus 7; is the poetic slimline the preferred case in this thread for any particular reason? And what are some alternative you guys can recommend?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I got one of these (the SlimShell) when they were $0.99 though with $5 shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ET9H7H2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn't add too much weight or bulk so my Nexus 7 is still just as pocket-able as without the cover. The origami cover can prop up the Nexus 7 in either portrait or landscape and is quite stable in either mode. The cover can also be folded to form a grip on the back to make one-handed operation easier since you no longer have to wrap your hand around the tablet. In addition, it can power on and off the screen when opening and closing the cover.

Only downside so far is that the folding creases on the outer face of the cover has formed a lot of wrinkles. I'm not sure how well the cover will hold the more I use it. But for the price, it's not so bad and I don't care too much about how the cover looks so long as it still works.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Well I'm pretty much ready to order a Nexus 7; is the poetic slimline the preferred case in this thread for any particular reason? And what are some alternative you guys can recommend?
I'm a big fan of the Moko line of cases. The customer service is great. They once sent me a free iPad mini case after I ordered one from them because there was an issue with the sleep/wake function. They contacted me about it. I hadn't even received the iPad yet, so I didn't know about the problem. Plus, the Amazon listing didn't even say that it supported that function, so they technically didn't need to do anything. I'm using this one on my Nexus 7. It leverages the sleep/wake and closure magnets for the stand function. It works pretty well.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I just bought a Nook HD+ for reading comics on and I don't really like the default OS. I've never installed a custom ROM before, but I'm told that there are ones available for the Nook. Is there a guide anywhere for what I need to do?

edit: Or even better, have any goons installed custom ROMs on this tablet? What's the best one?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Has anyone done a replacement through Google Play for the Nexus 7 2013? I'm curious as to whether they just send you a brand new tablet in retail packaging? Or a refurb unit in a brown box? Or something in between?

I have one on the way, arriving next week (flickering screen on first one) but I think I'm going to sell it, as I'm not sure a tablet is really something I need. I've got some people interested in buying it, but only if it is an unopened retail box.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kreez posted:

Has anyone done a replacement through Google Play for the Nexus 7 2013? I'm curious as to whether they just send you a brand new tablet in retail packaging? Or a refurb unit in a brown box? Or something in between?
In the UK, at least, Google always seem to cross-ship a brand new device. New-in-box, just like you bought it from the Play Store.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Kreez posted:

I have one on the way, arriving next week (flickering screen on first one) but I think I'm going to sell it, as I'm not sure a tablet is really something I need. I've got some people interested in buying it, but only if it is an unopened retail box.

I can confirm that they send you a new one in retail box, or at least they did for the 2012 model. I had a loose screen on that one and they sent out a new one quick as you please.

CygnusTM posted:

I'm a big fan of the Moko line of cases. The customer service is great. They once sent me a free iPad mini case after I ordered one from them because there was an issue with the sleep/wake function. They contacted me about it. I hadn't even received the iPad yet, so I didn't know about the problem. Plus, the Amazon listing didn't even say that it supported that function, so they technically didn't need to do anything. I'm using this one on my Nexus 7. It leverages the sleep/wake and closure magnets for the stand function. It works pretty well.

Agreed on Moko cases. Got the genuine leather one for my N7 2013, one of the nicest cases ever. I may get the official Google one just cause it's so pretty, though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
From what I've read the Samsung Note 10.1 2014 is receiving lackluster reviews. What do you suppose is the chance a truly good s-pen/digitizer android tablet with high resolution will come out? Or is there one?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah I use the Moko one as well, I usually use the Slim version, but I've got an Ultra Slim as well.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Chas McGill posted:

I just bought a Nook HD+ for reading comics on and I don't really like the default OS. I've never installed a custom ROM before, but I'm told that there are ones available for the Nook. Is there a guide anywhere for what I need to do?

edit: Or even better, have any goons installed custom ROMs on this tablet? What's the best one?

I've installed CM10 on the eMMC and it's super simple to do (assuming you're comfortable with unlocking/rooting/flashing ROMs)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

1st AD posted:

I've installed CM10 on the eMMC and it's super simple to do (assuming you're comfortable with unlocking/rooting/flashing ROMs)
I'm not sure if I'm comfortable unlocking/rooting/flashing because I haven't done it before, but I'll try it out. It looks like there's a guide on XDA that I can follow.

Edit: Just did it. CM10 is so much nicer than the Nook OS. Amazing how much smoother it is in comparison. I think this'll be a good buy for £120.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 12, 2013

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
I have a Nexus 10. Is there any way to disable Google Hangouts? It's really annoying how it seems to tell other people that I'm available and then they try to chat with me when I'm not there. Then after a day at work when it's been sitting in my bag and I haven't had Gmail open on my computer, I have a ton of messages from people.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Anonononomous posted:

I have a Nexus 10. Is there any way to disable Google Hangouts? It's really annoying how it seems to tell other people that I'm available and then they try to chat with me when I'm not there. Then after a day at work when it's been sitting in my bag and I haven't had Gmail open on my computer, I have a ton of messages from people.

Menu - settings - sign out

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Menu - settings - sign out

I didn't think I'd ever signed in. It happens even when I haven't had it running.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Anonononomous posted:

I didn't think I'd ever signed in. It happens even when I haven't had it running.

The service is always there even if the actual app isn't running or in memory, so when you restart your device you don't have to go around clicking on every app that uses push notifications to get them receiving again. It's better to think of it like a background notification system, part of the tablet's core functionality, and Hangouts itself is part of your Google account which is probably why you were automatically signed in.

Signing out should take your tablet off the grid until you reopen the app

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, that makes sense. I just wish it would only tell people I'm around if I actually have the tablet active.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I don't know if this has been mentioned but I thought I'd share my experience with the 2012 Nexus 7 lag problem.

I'd had mine for a while, it got super slow and the 4.3 update didn't seem to fix it, so I rooted it and used that lagfix app from the Play store. It's now back to its original speed again.

Has anyone else done this and had similar results?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

frozenpeas posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I thought I'd share my experience with the 2012 Nexus 7 lag problem.

I'd had mine for a while, it got super slow and the 4.3 update didn't seem to fix it, so I rooted it and used that lagfix app from the Play store. It's now back to its original speed again.

It's pretty well documented. Basically, 4.2 and down dont support TRIM properly, so the eMMC will slow down as previously unwritten sectors become harder to find.

TRIM tells the storage controller to erase any previously deleted sectors when the disk isn't actively in use, dramatically reducing write times, as there won't be erase operations at a large number of sectors.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

frozenpeas posted:

I tried this a month or so ago, but the lagfix app did not really make a noticeable difference for me. I factory reset it and reinstalled only the apps I really used and that brought it back to a very fast state. That said, I haven't filled the eMMC up over halfway again which apparently makes some difference as well.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's pretty well documented. Basically, 4.2 and down dont support TRIM properly, so the eMMC will slow down as previously unwritten sectors become harder to find.

TRIM tells the storage controller to erase any previously deleted sectors when the disk isn't actively in use, dramatically reducing write times, as there won't be erase operations at a large number of sectors.

No, what I'm saying is that 4.3 Didn't fix my lag and it was only rooting/manually trimming using lagfix that did.
It may have just been the factory reset that did it though, so I wanted to see if anyone had had any comparable experiences .

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What can I use for an adhoc Nexus 7 case? I need to zip-tie my Nexus 7 to something as a display/readout but I don't want to damage the device. The only homemade cases I see are folio style cases, more like a diztronic TPU case so there's a buffer/wear surface between the zip ties and the tablet screen/edge.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hadlock posted:

What can I use for an adhoc Nexus 7 case? I need to zip-tie my Nexus 7 to something as a display/readout but I don't want to damage the device. The only homemade cases I see are folio style cases, more like a diztronic TPU case so there's a buffer/wear surface between the zip ties and the tablet screen/edge.
Here you go.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461482&pagenumber=133&perpage=40#post406956635

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The TF701 is going on sale in the UK at the end of Oct.

Hoping this means it'll hit the US in nov or dec. If asus is actually making the next nexus 10, it'll be the same pad with an 800 and no SD and dock options. Kind of rely on that little dock for commuting so I think I'm going to skew to the transformer model.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Anonononomous posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I just wish it would only tell people I'm around if I actually have the tablet active.

When Hangouts came out people griped that it didnt have talk functionality like the status indicator, so Google updated Hangouts to include a green bar under people who are online. Of course the green bar is lit anytime you're logged into hangouts on any device, regardless if the device is awake or not, making it completely useless as a status indicator.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That sucks that he was banned for that post, that gave me a great idea, thanks sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

KoB posted:

When Hangouts came out people griped that it didnt have talk functionality like the status indicator, so Google updated Hangouts to include a green bar under people who are online. Of course the green bar is lit anytime you're logged into hangouts on any device, regardless if the device is awake or not, making it completely useless as a status indicator.

The green bar is only for the Chrome extension of Hangouts and only shows up if the other person is on the Chrome extension. If they're on mobile, it won't show up at all. So it does kind of work as a status indicator...if you're mobile or if you're not.

As far as "I'm online", "I'm away", "I'm busy" indicators, that'll probably never happen as Hangouts is slated to replace the AOSP Messaging app in Android 4.4. You don't need indicators like that for SMS.