Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

I don't really know. I'm not sure why you just wouldn't do counties.
Yeah, majority pizza chain restaurant per county seems like the more sensible thing to depict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It seems unlikely that someone went to the trouble of making a map of the pizza chain located closest to a selection of arbitrary points. "Most common pizza chain" is probably what is being plotted; they probably called it "closest" because that is what people look for when choosing between multiple sources of lovely pizza.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, majority pizza chain restaurant per county seems like the more sensible thing to depict.

A lot of low population counties could easily end up in two or three way ties with "one/two/three of each" though. If there is only one decent sized town, and it has two or three of the chains all within a small area (say, half mile stretch of road, not uncommon in small towns) then what?

Edit: Not that that couldn't be an issuer with the 10-mile square things, but by making the areas smaller than the counties, it lessens the chance of it happening.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 14, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here's a nice cartogram. US states given an amount of land proportionate to their population. Fun twist, it's from 1911 and it's based off numbers from the 1910 Census.

Here's a more recent bulgy cartogram of population. Not 2010, maybe 2000? It's not at all the same but you can still kind of use it for comparison.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe the center of each square?

I doubt it's the centroid of county. It's likely the pizza chain with the highest density because that's really easy to calculate (pop / number of stores). To do an actual density grid is tricky and can be done a few different ways, depending on how the map maker wants to do it. Because the map is poorly worded, I'd go with simple population divided by number of stores equals NEAREST PIZZA TO YOU!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

A lot of low population counties could easily end up in two or three way ties with "one/two/three of each" though.
Obviously, like with ethnicity maps, just put "Mixed Pizza Heritage".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

withak posted:

It seems unlikely that someone went to the trouble of making a map of the pizza chain located closest to a selection of arbitrary points.

As far as anyone can tell, that's exactly what he did.

quote:

Most of the major pizza chains are within a 5-mile radius of where I live, so I have my pick, but I usually order from whatever place is closest to where I am. So it doesn't matter if there are more Domino's locations than Pizza Huts where I live.

Of course we'll never know for sure, since he doesn't explain his methodology.

8/20, come see me after class.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
  1. Draw square on map.
  2. List all pizza chain locations which are inside the square.
  3. Color square based on which chain appears the most times in the list.

This is probably what he did.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Based on the wording, my guess is that it depicts the mode of closest restaurants among households in each square. That is, the chain which is the closest to the greatest number of respondents, wins.

That would make more sense than just counting number of franchises per territory.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Dusseldorf posted:

This really is a very hard to read map. It shows the problem with displaying too much granular data without using binning.

I've never heard of this technique before so I looked it up and found this pretty interesting post about it.

E: Oh poo poo, I did not realize there is a whole another page after the post I quoted. Sorry about that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Based on the wording, my guess is that it depicts the mode of closest restaurants among households in each square. That is, the chain which is the closest to the greatest number of respondents, wins.

That would make more sense than just counting number of franchises per territory.

If the square is small enough that population density inside each square is fairly uniform then they both will probably give you the same answer, assuming there aren't a lot of "the Domino's across the street from the other Domino's" situations out there.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Bulgy cartograms: ugly abominations that should be used by no-one ever

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Stefu posted:

Bulgy cartograms: ugly abominations that should be used by no-one ever

I still like that approach better than the 1911 one, which has all sorts of strange stuff going on in it (e.g., "New York" containing no part of New York, etc.)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I feel just terrible for the handful of counties whose nearest pizza place (whatever the meaning) is Chucky Cheese.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I was looking for maps of duchies and counties in the Ancien Régime when I came across this set of maps of France:

Am I misreading the lower-left map or was the price of salt in Brittany absurdly cheap compared to Paris? Jesus, the old kingdom of France had a clusterfuck of laws.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Old James posted:

I traveled in Europe in the early 90's before ATMs and Automated Kiosks were common. To buy train tickets you had to stand in line for a teller. In Paris, each line had a sign with the flags symbolizing the languages that teller spoke. Some of them had 6-7 flags, it was quite impressive.

It's easy to learn enough of a language to do a specialized task. You could sell train tickets with a vocabulary of a few hundred words relating to trains, numbers, and locations, and that can be learned with rote memorization in a few days.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ofaloaf posted:

I was looking for maps of duchies and counties in the Ancien Régime when I came across this set of maps of France:

Am I misreading the lower-left map or was the price of salt in Brittany absurdly cheap compared to Paris? Jesus, the old kingdom of France had a clusterfuck of laws.

Basically, it looks salt in the pink zone ("Region of the great salt tax") was hideously expensive compared to everywhere else. Internal trade in France before the late 1600s was completely hosed, with a huge number of different tariffs and taxes and laws that varied from province to duchy to county to town, though that wasn't an uncommon situation in Europe. Establishing internal free trade zones was quite a big deal, if I remember correctly.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Brittany was more or less autonomous (as were some other provinces) prior to the Revolution and didn't have to pay the salt tax, not to mention the fact that salt was made here at the time. New royal taxes had to be voted on by the états provinciaux. In 1673 the King pushed through a tax on stamped paper without the consent of the local government which caused a sizeable rebellion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnets_Rouges

Farecoal posted:

Basically, it looks salt in the pink zone ("Region of the great salt tax") was hideously expensive compared to everywhere else. Internal trade in France before the late 1600s was completely hosed, with a huge number of different tariffs and taxes and laws that varied from province to duchy to county to town, though that wasn't an uncommon situation in Europe. Establishing internal free trade zones was quite a big deal, if I remember correctly.

Pretty much. On this map the provinces in white could trade freely internally and had uniform tariffs for trading with other provinces. The green provinces had higher tariffs for internal and external trade and the red provinces could trade freely with foreigners but had tariffs for dealing with the rest of France.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Come on, I'm sure Americans would love to go visit a town with a single lovely pizzeria/hotdog stand, where the single most common vehicle is a Puch Maxi moped with a milk crate on the back for beers.

I dunno, myself and other goons gave around 14K to some dude in a town so he could make a hotdog stand. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Besides, in Germany it would be a lovely Doener Bude :cobert:.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What state that leads the nation in illicit drug use?

Maybe New York, what will all those Studio 54 coke parties.

Or California, LA is huge and has lots of all kinds of drugs.

Or maybe some small, southern, "backwoods" state like West Virginia where you'd expect a good amount of meth and "hillbilly heroin"?

Nope...Vermont:

Then you remember that oh, right, pot is technically illegal for some weird reason, and it all makes sense. I would like to see what the percentage is with pot removed. The closes there is in that series of maps is one just for cocaine, which Vermont is still high (can't tell if it's the highest, but it's the same color as RI and CO, so all around 3%.)

But this one:

Indicates that opiate use isn't a big issue, though the article does state that it's been increasing here the past few years.

And then this one:

Illicit drug dependence. Again, VT is towards the top, so I'd like to see what they qualified as "dependence." If it was done by self surveys, then yeah, I believe it. Lots of people, whether joking or no, would definitely say they "need" to smoke up every day/other day/week/whatever. But both you and I know that's not the same thing as opiate or alcohol dependence.

Fake edit: Oh, wait, I found the direct link to the actual maps from H&HS, instead of the ones Business Inside made:
http://www.samhsa.gov/data/NSDUH/2k11State/NSDUHsaeMaps2011.htm
Illicit drug use other than marijuana:

So...yeah, VT is still at least in the top 10.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
States are probably a bad way to measure that. You'd be better off with a location quotient of x type of drug users to the general population vs the national average for that particular drug user type to the national population. You'd also be better of with county level because of the diversity and differences in states, especially rural and urban divide.

The last map using quantiles (five groups of ten states) is dumb, you can see the misleading in the legend.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Average IQ by Country

edit: Geez, why is Australia so low? I've always thought of them as a top-tier 1st world country.

Narciss fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 15, 2013

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Narciss posted:

Average IQ by Country

:can:

Leaving aside the question of validity, do you know which IQ tests were used or what the data collection methodology was?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Narciss posted:

Average IQ by Country

edit: Geez, why is Australia so low? I've always thought of them as a top-tier 1st world country.

The vaunted North Korean education system shines again

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

Leaving aside the question of validity, do you know which IQ tests were used or what the data collection methodology was?
I can't imagine that it's anything but a troll, designed to rile up Australians by calling them literally retarded.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

SaltyJesus posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_Differences_in_Intelligence

It was a meta-analysis of IQ tests performed in studies around the world, I can't tell you more than that. The title of the book reflexively makes me think "yikes", but the author makes some interesting points. He also comes to the conclusion that Ashkenazi Jews are the highest IQ'd people in the world (by ethnic group), which isn't a finding you would expect from some sort of racist with a preset agenda.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's just a lazy trolling attempt. The map obviously isn't based on actual data, countries are grouped much too neatly for that.

It seems more like a speculative map from the 19th century. 'Pygmies and aboriginals are really primitive, let's put them in the lowest category'.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 15, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

But... isn't the average IQ always 100? I mean it's not like they take the same universal test all over the globe :confused:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I've seen that map before. It's supposedly the IQ of the indigenous population of each country, not the country in general, which is why Australia is so low.

Extremely unlikely to be based on any real data, it's just some racist thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Narciss posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_Differences_in_Intelligence

It was a meta-analysis of IQ tests performed in studies around the world, I can't tell you more than that. The title of the book reflexively makes me think "yikes", but the author makes some interesting points. He also comes to the conclusion that Ashkenazi Jews are the highest IQ'd people in the world (by ethnic group), which isn't a finding you would expect from some sort of racist with a preset agenda.

Actually it's exactly the sort of thing you might expect from a racist with a preset agenda. Not all racists are racist against jews you know.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Actually it's exactly the sort of thing you might expect from a racist with a preset agenda. Not all racists are racist against jews you know.
Also, even when they are, a large part of the mythos surrounding the JEWS is that they're cunning as gently caress. What they usually lack is morals in the antisemitic conception of the world.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
It is possible that indigenous populations of various places had, in fact, scored lower than others. This is less of a race thing and more a "how the IQ tests are designed" thing. While they attempt to measure "innate ability", whatever that may be, IQ tests often measure mastery over certain learned concepts. People from a culture sufficiently removed from the Western European, who were raised outside of an educational system modeled after the European one (basically all of them) will most likely score significantly lower on a number of widely accepted IQ tests.

On the other hand, the borders on that map are way too pretty to represent actual data. It reminds me of that old map, already posted in this thread a couple of times, where ~~enlightened civilizations~~ were represented with a white radiating pattern.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

SaltyJesus posted:

On the other hand, the borders on that map are way too pretty to represent actual data. It reminds me of that old map, already posted in this thread a couple of times, where ~~enlightened civilizations~~ were represented with a white radiating pattern.

That one was interesting 'cause it was a worldview of people from a couple of centuries ago. This one is just stupid as hell. Where did you find it, Narciss?

edit: oh it's on wikipedia

quote:

World map of average IQ per country based on data in the Richard Lynn book Race Differences in Intelligence (2006)

edit 2: oh whoops he already linked that :doh:

wikipedia posted:

Broadly speaking, Lynn estimates that about half of the IQ deficit of third world races can be explained by inadequate nutrition, while the other half is racially genetic. For example Lynn argues that while Africans living in Africa average IQ 67, African Americans living in the Southern United States (where European admixture is very low) average IQ 80. Lynn believes the latter figure represents their genotypic intelligence, while the IQs in Africa are stunted by malnutrition.
yeah gently caress that guy

reverse-image searching it did send me to this incredibly informative map of IQ versus average penis size, though, so it's not all bad.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 15, 2013

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Koramei posted:

That one was interesting 'cause it was a worldview of people from a couple of centuries ago. This one is just stupid as hell. Where did you find it, Narciss?

Nevermind

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Koramei posted:

this incredibly informative map of IQ versus average penis size

Awww yissssss, big dick with light green IQ represent!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SaltyJesus posted:

Awww yissssss, big dick with light green IQ represent!

They threw me out when I tried to have my dick do the IQ test :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's good to be European.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Jerry Cotton posted:

They threw me out when I tried to have my dick do the IQ test :(

It's so you wouldn't skew the dick size data downward. :ssh:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Koramei posted:

reverse-image searching it did send me to this incredibly informative map of IQ versus average penis size, though, so it's not all bad.
Aw, you got me all excited, I was hoping someone had made a map that showed IQ/penis size, not just both on the same map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jerry Cotton posted:

But... isn't the average IQ always 100? I mean it's not like they take the same universal test all over the globe :confused:

It should be, if the tests were designed correctly. Which leads me to believe that map is complete nonsense.