Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Mooseykins posted:

Somewhat similar to mine:

Oh, now that's cool. That certainly would make your life easy providing you had the clearance to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Motronic posted:

Oh, now that's cool. That certainly would make your life easy providing you had the clearance to use it.

There is a better generic tool to do this with. It's basically a handle ten inches long. On the end of it it has a spring loaded tapered peg in the center of a circular surface bigger than the retainer. You place the retainer and collets on top of the valve spring and just push down with the tool. It compresses the spring and mounts the collets correctly, presumably through magic which happens when the peg hits the valve and retreats into the handle. It works on a variety of valve sizes and designs and is awesome for doing 4 valve engines where the springs are small and buried deep in tunnels under the cam carriers.

I don't know what it's called or where to get one, even the guy I borrowed it off doesn't know what to call it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

Somewhat similar to mine:

This is what I have.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Carteret posted:

The tire had zero damage.

Zero visible damage. A hit hard enough to destroy the wheel seems like it'd have a pretty high likelihood of significantly damaging the belts inside the tire.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CommieGIR posted:

This is what I have.

Yea that's the one I have but the other one looks better if it just pivots on that one point.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea that's the one I have but the other one looks better if it just pivots on that one point.

I have a Bluepoint tool that's basically a impact pen with a retainer holder. It's pretty awesome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

I'd love to have one of those if I could find where to buy it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ozmiander posted:

I have a Bluepoint tool that's basically a impact pen with a retainer holder. It's pretty awesome.

I think you have what I was referring to.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

I think you have what I was referring to.

Yeah, i didn't see your post when i made mine. It's listed by Blue Point as a Valve Keeper Remover/Installer. Surprisingly affordable too.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=643044&group_ID=675633&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

This is what I have.

I have one of those as well. Works fine, but can be awkward. That's more similar to the VW genuine one, than the one i posted earlier.

To cover everything you need 4 or 5 different types.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

That could make my life easier replacing my valve stem seals without pulling the head!

Its $200 to buy the Head gasket + replacement bolts!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Why is this 4 runner misfiring?

That might explain it. The mighty Bosch Platinum +0/.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 14, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
More like a 3runner at that point eh?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

rscott posted:

More like a 3runner at that point eh?

Mismatched V5.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Someone call GM, I hear they need an update for their 54°.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

sharkytm posted:

Why is this 4 runner misfiring?

That might explain it. The mighty Bosch Platinum +0/.

Where's the rest of it? :ohdear:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EightBit posted:

Where's the rest of it? :ohdear:

Unknown, but the engine sounds fine. I used my stethoscope on that cylinder and on the exhaust adjacent... sounds normal. I'm guessing it got pulverized and sent through the exhaust. Either way, the misfire started for days ago, so the damage is done.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Might want to do a compression test. :ohdear:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have a camera with LEDs that plugs into a laptop that would fit through that hole. I think i paid $40, it's a seriously good investment.

MiNDRiVE
Nov 8, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

I have a camera with LEDs that plugs into a laptop that would fit through that hole. I think i paid $40, it's a seriously good investment.
I wish i had a borescope on hand, but alas.

some texas redneck posted:

Might want to do a compression test. :ohdear:
Yeah, it's back together, I'll do a test when I see him again (co-worker's car).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Powershift posted:

Harbor Freight has something similar, but it's more than that. I think the sale price was $70 or so (it's on sale this week, naturally).

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Powershift posted:

$40? Where? Fits through a hole the size of a sparkplug? I require something like this. For, um, science. Yeah. Science.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

$40? Where? Fits through a hole the size of a sparkplug? I require something like this. For, um, science. Yeah. Science.

It's this one right here, i bought it on sale for half price back when the original price was $80. It has adjustable LEDs and all that fun stuff, so it's great for all your in-home colonoscopy needs. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...a.jsp?locale=en

quarter for scale.

The inside of a pop can.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Kill-9 posted:

I bought this http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-67979.html and it would not fit through the sparkplug hole.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Engines don't normally have water shooting out of cylinders do they??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiI7YAwPTM

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Brain Issues posted:

Why is it only one cylinder?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Brain Issues posted:

When I have got water in my landrover and cranked it with the plugs out to empty it the water has shot out much more enthusiastically than that. That engine looks like it is just vomiting it out!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tomarse posted:

When I have got water in my landrover and cranked it with the plugs out to empty it the water has shot out much more enthusiastically than that. That engine looks like it is just vomiting it out!

Is that gas? It seems odd that only one cylinder has water in it...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Doesn't look yellow enough for gas.

I fired water 10-20 feet out of cylinders 1 and 6 (opposite ends of the block) and a little sputter out of 2-5 when I cleared my hydrolocked engine. Usually if you aren't on the throttle when it starts sucking water it only fills a few before it stops turning.

Not sure how that engine hasn't launched a rod through the block yet, it's got a slight worrying knock when cold now after having been thrashed occasionally since march 2012, when I tried to run it on water instead of air.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
It's water being injected, with a pressure washer at 4000psi, into the secondary air ports in the front of the block to clean out carbon. It's Audi's official procedure to clean carbon out of these ports.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Huh. Wonder if that would work for the intake valve buildup on a DI engine too?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Brain Issues posted:

It's water being injected, with a pressure washer at 4000psi, into the secondary air ports in the front of the block to clean out carbon. It's Audi's official procedure to clean carbon out of these ports.

I can't imagine having carbon-laced water barfed all over the coilpacks does them any good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't heard anything particularly bad about VW ignition electronics, just the rest of the electronics.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Phone posted:

I haven't heard anything particularly bad about VW ignition electronics, just the rest of the electronics.

Coilpacks really?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Phone posted:

You must not be paying attention then.

VW coil packs have been basically wear items since the 1.8t was released.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phone posted:

I haven't heard anything particularly bad about VW ignition electronics, just the rest of the electronicsVW.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Coil packs are hermetically sealed with epoxy, or should be, if they aren't, the manufacturer is retarded.

I would be more worried about the whole water in the cylinder thing, but I suppose forcing it all out immediately afterward and then running the engine to evaporate the remainder would prevent corrosion.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh yeah, I forgot that you can basically point to anything on an A4/B5 car and it's going to fail and it's going to cost you $100.

e: to be fair to myself, I haven't really come across that many people complaining about the coilpacks in particular; it's usually at the end of a list of half a dozen things that are currently hosed on the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
The coil packs since 2009 have been very good. Before that they were dropping like flies.