Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

I've been to a bunch of red cafes and haven't found him. Although it's hard to tell because this city is a giant circle, everything looks the same, and there are a billion loading screens.

The red cafe closest to the pokecenter you land at when flying didn't have him.

Everything about this game is great except for this one horrible nightmare city.

If you were told where to go in a holo message, you can rewatch those from the Holo Caster in your bag. I'm pretty sure it's called Lysandre Cafe, you can use the cabs around the city to travel directly to it. They cost money, though.

Anyone know where Rock Smash is? Also Dratini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

jymbojones posted:

Old Amber is just dumb luck, sorry.

Mareep are horde battles only. Use honey or Sweet Scent on route 12. I found mine standing in the grass surrounded by fences just north of where you first enter the Route at. Save then use Honey and soft reset if you get Wingulls. Took me 6 tries using this method. Hope this helps.

Ah, thank you! I can at least get Mareep before I go and beat the fourth gym, and then go back for the old amber.

Edit: Oh nice, second try! Thanks again!

Oooh, and it's bashful. aw yiss.

Nevileen fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 15, 2013

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mightygerm posted:

Google isn't helping me on this, but is there a battle frontier in this game. Any information on it if so?

From what I read there isn't a battle frontier, just the standard fight 7 people in a row battle tower called the battle mansion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bass Bottles posted:

I've been to a bunch of red cafes and haven't found him. Although it's hard to tell because this city is a giant circle, everything looks the same, and there are a billion loading screens.

The red cafe closest to the pokecenter you land at when flying didn't have him.

Everything about this game is great except for this one horrible nightmare city.

Go into the Poke Center just outside of the gym. Exit it. To your left across the plaza one road over you will see a Team Flare guy in front of a red cafe. Go there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bruceski posted:

Go into the Poke Center just outside of the gym. Exit it. To your left across the plaza one road over you will see a Team Flare guy in front of a red cafe. Go there.

Take note that Luminose has 3 Pokemon Centers. I think the one you're looking for should be near Central Luminose.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Rock Smash is outside the Aquarium in the second Gym town.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Rock Smash is somewhere in the fossil town. I had it before I went to Glittering Cave the first time.

No wild Dratinis that I know of, but you can fish Dragonairs up with a Super Rod in Victory Road.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
My girlfriend just started the game, and caught a shiny Pikachu and a shiny Fletchling back-to-back (no random encounters between them) before getting to the first Pokemon Center. What are the odds of that?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Ville Valo posted:

My girlfriend just started the game, and caught a shiny Pikachu and a shiny Fletchling back-to-back (no random encounters between them) before getting to the first Pokemon Center. What are the odds of that?

Apparently pretty good. :stare: Someone else in this thread had the exact same thing happen to their girlfriend, too.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Ville Valo posted:

Unless they've changed the shiny rate, 67,108,864 to 1.

They're probably changed the shiny rate.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The secret to shiny Pokemon is having a girlfriend.

Sorry Pokemon thread.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harlock posted:

Rock Smash is outside the Aquarium in the second Gym town.

Zurai posted:

Rock Smash is somewhere in the fossil town. I had it before I went to Glittering Cave the first time.

No wild Dratinis that I know of, but you can fish Dragonairs up with a Super Rod in Victory Road.

Thanks, guys.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

jymbojones posted:

Old Amber is just dumb luck, sorry.

Mareep are horde battles only. Use honey or Sweet Scent on route 12. I found mine standing in the grass surrounded by fences just north of where you first enter the Route at. Save then use Honey and soft reset if you get Wingulls. Took me 6 tries using this method. Hope this helps.

I had a hell of a time getting a Mareep, because this is a very easy pokemon game so far :shobon:. All my party members were strong enough to one-shot them.

I got lucky on the second horde- by the time I was down to one Mareep, they had used growl enough times that I could weaken it without killing it in one hit. Also, I spent most of that fight paralyzed, so I was able to use a Timer Ball.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

In the snowy town with the 8th gym there is an in-game trade for a Bisharp. The Bisharp I received is Adamant and has Defiant, and according to Serebii's IV Calculator has 30-31 HP IVs, 30-31 Atk IVs, and 28-29 Speed IVs. :stare:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Another thing I really like about this game is how when random NPCs hand you pokemon, you don't have to have a spot open in your party and can just send a party member to the box. So useful. Except the one or two times where it seemed like it would have been useful and didn't happen :argh:

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
So where do I get the elevator key to Lysandre's lab?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nickname Pending posted:

So where do I get the elevator key to Lysandre's lab?

Door on the far right side of the building.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I've been level grinding in tall grass while hunting down items and trainers. I think I'm ready to move on from Route 8 but am I missing any rare mons? I got Honedge, Kekleon, Sentret, Oddish and Espurr and I'd hate to miss out on anything in the low appearance ratios.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

King's Shield really should be presented to Aegislash whenever you evolve. How am I supposed to know to go to the move reminder to find a move I've never heard of? Aegislash in blade forme can barely take a hit

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

myron cope posted:

Another thing I really like about this game is how when random NPCs hand you pokemon, you don't have to have a spot open in your party and can just send a party member to the box. So useful. Except the one or two times where it seemed like it would have been useful and didn't happen :argh:

Yeah the free Lapras a guy gives you requires an empty spot in your party

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
If anyone finds the food item maniac can you post the location? If there is one it turns 25 Balm mushrooms from their regular sale of 150,000 to 625,000 (going by gen V price).

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I've been level grinding in tall grass while hunting down items and trainers. I think I'm ready to move on from Route 8 but am I missing any rare mons? I got Honedge, Kekleon, Sentret, Oddish and Espurr and I'd hate to miss out on anything in the low appearance ratios.

You're missing Nincada.

Speaking of which, catching 2 modest oddish and 2 modest espurr (female and male for the different evos) was really easy with my modest synchronize ralts. I need to catch an adamant one, this is just too useful. I'm gonna breed more once I get it to a kirala. Gonna ask the trading thread to borrow an everstone to pump out modest finding babies, and easily potential mega-Gardevior material as well.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I just discovered you can register up to 4 things to the Y button; you select which one to use by holding the directional button. This just revolutionized everything.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

EvilHawk posted:

So Serebii posted this picture:

Anyone seen it? I can't make out what it's supposed to be.

Gotta love that we're going to be finding out all sorts of secrets for months :allears:

Another intriguing mystery. Apparently the guy who gives this to you is from a region we've never seen before. The item is saleable. It kinda looks like a Biwilis from SMT.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Who the gently caress gave some mons a goddamn useless machine gun ball attack in super training. It's so incredibly bad I can't even put it in words.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
In terms of non legendaries, Hawlucha is possibly the best pokemon I've used so far. I mean Honedge and Doublade are cool, but Hawlucha is just so fast and so strong. I mean it helps that mine has a hasty nature, but still this thing can take down entire teams! Also it's neat how Flying Press is both Flying and Fighting type in it's move. Is any other move like that?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Vegastar posted:

Another intriguing mystery. Apparently the guy who gives this to you is from a region we've never seen before. The item is saleable. It kinda looks like a Biwilis from SMT.

So the Persona announcement in November is going to be a Persona/Pokemon crossover?

Seriously though, there's a whole set of train tracks that are just sitting there ready to be activated to let you go somewhere else.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dastardly posted:

Who the gently caress gave some mons a goddamn useless machine gun ball attack in super training. It's so incredibly bad I can't even put it in words.

The machine gun attack makes super training super easy. Just nail all the white goals, don't try fro charged shots, and unload when the red goal pops up. Its just a little disorienting to get useful.

Once you have about 100 EVs though you can clear level 3 training in 20ish seconds. Literally all of my best time records are from machine gun mons.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Found a shiny Dunsparce in the friend safari. This game is a good game.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Yeah the free Lapras a guy gives you requires an empty spot in your party

That's one I was thinking of. And another being in the...Gym 7 town where the lonely guy asks for a pokemon, you can't just take one from the box (that I saw at least). It's not exactly the same situation but it would have been nice. Who cares if it makes sense or not.

Speaking of the box, when you're in "organize boxes" mode, what is the difference between the red/single pokeball option at the top and the blue with two pokeballs and an arrow between them option? I know the green one lets you drag a box around multiple pokemon and move a bunch at once, but the red/blue things seem to do the same thing :confused:

And I was trying to trade for a Ditto on the GTS. It's frustrating. I filter by pokemon I have, and see a couple for Aerodactyl. I try one, that pokemon is already traded. I try the other, communication error, turn off your 3DS and try again. I see one for Helioptyle, gone. One for Swoobat, gone. :argh:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
My friend is trying to breed Squirtles, but nothing is working. We already tried Cubone, Ducklett and Snorlax but they all got rejected with the same with "prefers to play with other pokemon". What gives? Aren't they supposed to be in the same egg group?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Waaaaugh~! Two hours of work gone because I tried to save scum a Snorlax without actually saving beforehand...

Now I have to catch and level a Honedge and Espurr ALL over again...

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

horriblePencilist posted:

My friend is trying to breed Squirtles, but nothing is working. We already tried Cubone, Ducklett and Snorlax but they all got rejected with the same with "prefers to play with other pokemon". What gives? Aren't they supposed to be in the same egg group?

I'm gonna assume the squirtle is female and the other is male - because if they're the same gender they won't breed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there anywhere you can buy everstones in this game?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

myron cope posted:

Speaking of the box, when you're in "organize boxes" mode, what is the difference between the red/single pokeball option at the top and the blue with two pokeballs and an arrow between them option? I know the green one lets you drag a box around multiple pokemon and move a bunch at once, but the red/blue things seem to do the same thing :confused:

If you aren't using the touch screen, the first option is examine and the second is move.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

MrFlibble posted:

I'm gonna assume the squirtle is female and the other is male - because if they're the same gender they won't breed.

The Wartortle's female, the others male – it wouldn't work regardless.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bass Bottles posted:

Lumios city is the absolute worst. The camera angles and character movement make it a pure frustration to navigate. Also there needs to be a way to check your current objective. I think the professor wanted me to meet him at a cafe or something but I can't remember and I can't find him anywhere.

Well, I made this lovely fancy map to help me as I was exploring!

-the avenues going clockwise from the bottom are Vernal, Estival, Autumnal, Hibernal and an unnamed empty canal way. North and South streets are obvious, same with the Centrico Plaza.
-the coloured areas are the various plazas (Verde, Bleu, Magenta, Rouge (the pink on the map), Jaune)
-black stars are taxis. The black box with a star in it is transport hq.
-yellow boxes are cafes. The one with the red star is Lysandre cafe.
-brown boxes are restaurants
-grey boxes are generic buildings. Everyone should check out the one with the purple dot. There's one that has a cafe(or is it?) on the second floor.
-dark red dots are battles
-blue dots are skaters
-purple box is the boutiqe
-light green box is Sycamore's lab
-pink box is PR message place
-unfilled red boxes are pokemon centres
-unfilled light green is the train station
-unfilled dark red is the battle centre
-unfilled blue is the hotel
-unfilled purple is the art gallery
-yellow pentagon is a street vendor, sells bread or something?
-dark blue box is an apartment that got bought recently Does Looker show up here eventually?
-unfilled red circle is the poke ball shop
-dark red star is the gym, obs.
-orange square is Lumiose Press.
-green square is lotto-id.
-??? blocks are empty alleys with some light shining down in the middle. Does something show up here?
-unfilled brown is furfrou barber
-unfilled pink is herb shop
-unfilled orange is mineral shop

Uhh hope this helps? I'll probably reorganize this legend by area later.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 15, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I think people were asking about this before, but Exploud can learn the new Boomburst move from the Move Reminder (he might also get it on level up later, though).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Is there a consensus on Aegislash? I'm considering just not evolving him so all those EVs I super-trained into Defense don't go to waste every time he goes into Blade Forme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Holy crap the psychic gym :aaaaa:

• Locked thread