Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Legit rant. Lane splitting in only legal in Kommunist Kalifornia. Its so nice to be able to filter to the front of traffic at red lights. I've done it a couple dozen times here in Georgia. I've gotten some looks but no horns or blocks yet. The thing is I'm across the intersection before the person I "cut off" can get across the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Coredump posted:

Legit rant. Lane splitting in only legal in Kommunist Kalifornia. Its so nice to be able to filter to the front of traffic at red lights. I've done it a couple dozen times here in Georgia. I've gotten some looks but no horns or blocks yet. The thing is I'm across the intersection before the person I "cut off" can get across the line.

Yeah I tried this once or twice. The problem is most of the time I am on a road with a series of lights, or lights and then it opens to a highway. The number of people who will do 120 in their shitbox civics to catch me after I do that makes me just not do it anymore.

This is NY, specifically Long Island/NYC area. People don't like people.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mister Duck posted:

The number of people who will do 120 in their shitbox civics to catch me after I do that makes me just not do it anymore.

Oh God this triggers another rant. Lets say I end up at the front of traffic at a set of lights without filtering. Unless there's another bike or a supercar around, I'm the fastest thing on the road. I'll run it up to the speed limit leaving traffic behind because oh hey, I'm on a motorcycle, that's what they do. The number of people that will do 20, 30 miles an hour over the speed limit to catch up to me, get ahead, and then slow down to 10 over is loving mind boggling. Keep in mind 10 over the limit in Georgia is as good as doing the limit. Usually its either dickheads in their pickups driving way too aggressively in traffic for such a big and heavy vehicle or soccer mom's in their SUV's. Its like I've offended their honor by pulling away from them.

It used to happen with such regularity that once someone had gotten to within a car length of my tail I would gradually match their speed to see how fast I would have to go to stay in front. My record was 75 mph in a 50 mph zone before I ran out of courage and let the soccer mom go on ahead. A mile later she's slowed down to 60 mph, which is the flow of traffic. :wtf:

Coredump fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 15, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I really think people speed up because 90% of the time they're distracted with their Big Gulp / Big Mac / Cell Phone / Little Timmy that they don't watch their speed and when someone passes them or zips off at a stop light they snap back to "Oh I must be going too slow" and slam on the gas.

It especially bothers me when people play leapfrog on the highway though. No Mr. F250 diesel I'm not passing you because I want to race, I'm passing you because I can't see around you and that makes me less prepared on the road. I just want to be able to see in front of me. God.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

I really think people speed up because 90% of the time they're distracted with their Big Gulp / Big Mac / Cell Phone / Little Timmy that they don't watch their speed and when someone passes them or zips off at a stop light they snap back to "Oh I must be going too slow" and slam on the gas.

It especially bothers me when people play leapfrog on the highway though. No Mr. F250 diesel I'm not passing you because I want to race, I'm passing you because I can't see around you and that makes me less prepared on the road. I just want to be able to see in front of me. God.

yeah, it really is mostly that. Ages ago I caught myself doing the same thing in my car, just sort of cruising down the highway, not paying attention to my speed. Someone would draw alongside and pass me, and I'd subconsciously think 'oh man I must have zoned out there and dropped below the speed limit' and gradually increase my speed to match. That's when I realized I was doing exactly the same thing that I'd witness other cars do while I was passing them that made me think 'what the gently caress is this idiot trying to prove? Why won't he/she let me pass him?'. It doesn't excuse the behaviour, but at least know that people generally aren't doing it out of spite or vindictiveness. You're still gonna get some kid who thinks you want to race when you pass him, but the speed creepers are just people who aren't watching their speedo.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Linedance posted:

yeah, it really is mostly that. Ages ago I caught myself doing the same thing in my car, just sort of cruising down the highway, not paying attention to my speed. Someone would draw alongside and pass me, and I'd subconsciously think 'oh man I must have zoned out there and dropped below the speed limit' and gradually increase my speed to match. That's when I realized I was doing exactly the same thing that I'd witness other cars do while I was passing them that made me think 'what the gently caress is this idiot trying to prove? Why won't he/she let me pass him?'. It doesn't excuse the behaviour, but at least know that people generally aren't doing it out of spite or vindictiveness. You're still gonna get some kid who thinks you want to race when you pass him, but the speed creepers are just people who aren't watching their speedo.

At big intersections with multiple lights, like say one separate left turn lane and two straight-through lanes, when one lane gets a green everyone twitches forward. Usually it's the left-turn lane that will get their green arrow and then the cars in the left of the two straight-through lanes will twitch. I think it's the same mechanism that causes people to speed up when passed, too, most of the time.

Which reminds me of another major pet peeve of mine: stop light creeping. The light's red. The car in front is at the edge of the intersection, where they are supposed to be. The car behind them stops two car lengths back and then randomly creeps forward a few feet at a time until the light finally turns green. Or, if the car in front is a Seattle taxi, they just creep on the red light until they're halfway into the intersection.

JUST loving STOP. Just pull all the way forward, and stop. And stay there.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Light creepers SEEM to want to go fast, but you'll find they're always the slowest to step on the gas when the light actually turns. Fact.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Backov posted:

Light creepers SEEM to want to go fast, but you'll find they're always the slowest to step on the gas when the light actually turns. Fact.

fact verified.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My bikes are named "the drz" "the f11" and "the rv90"

I am a complicated man

Particularly as you actually own a Vespa, an Electra Glide, and a Ural outfit.

Linedance posted:

fact verified.

I remember years ago in the middle of the night being in a weird little dance with an Audi that at every set of lights (and we both got caught at every light because this is London and gently caress you, that's why) would squeeze into the bike lane to get alongside me, then creep forward until in most cases he couldn't even see the lights any more, then get left behind as the lights changed. At one point I even deliberately hung back and the light was green for a good 3 or 4 seconds before he moved off.

Also as a ped I once deliberately stood and blocked a crossing because a driver had already crept half way across it by the time I got there. He didn't even blow his horn or anything, just looked at me like he couldn't process this information. I only moved because another car came up behind him, otherwise we may both still have been there to this day. I should be legally entitled to drag these people out of their cars and waterboard them until they tell me what the gently caress is on their minds.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Which reminds me of another major pet peeve of mine: stop light creeping. The light's red. The car in front is at the edge of the intersection, where they are supposed to be. The car behind them stops two car lengths back and then randomly creeps forward a few feet at a time until the light finally turns green.

Because of this, I always end up getting right up on the bumper of the car in front of me. By the time the dickhead stops creeping, I'll have a normal gap. I blame autos, people might stop where they need to if they had to do more than ease off the brake to move.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The best part about stoplight creepers is that they're almost always slow to move when it turns green.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Know what I hate about the people who creep forward at stoplights? They never go immediately when the light goes green.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

The best part about stoplight creepers is that they're almost always slow to move when it turns green.

You're confusing "best" with "why they literally deserve to be tortured and killed in front of an audience composed of other bad drivers and their family". Nothing sucks like having an intersection blocked because the creepers haven't crept forward yet and two or three other cars are just stock, blocking you, while your green light is wasted.

I really need to get a bike soon. :sigh:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

4 way stops. Learn how to use them so we don't have to do the "you go" "no you go" "no you go" "NO YOU HAVE THE loving RIGHT OF WAY NOW GO" dance. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH :argh:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Haha I usually give people to the count of 1 to take their right of way before it's mine. You snooze you lose.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

clutchpuck posted:

Haha I usually give people to the count of 1 to take their right of way before it's mine. You snooze you lose.

The particular intersection I'm ranting about it always seems to happen that myself and another vehicle are facing each other across the intersection and both turning left. I'm always worried that they are as stupid as they probably are and will turn right into me after I decide to go (it almost happened, and now tend to be much more cautious about this) If we could just go by the actual accepted traffic protocol it would be fine...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Or just replace them all with roundabouts so that half the time you don't even need to slow down :getin:

Except for the retarded ones they implement in places where no one has seen a roundabout before, where each entrance has a stop sign. gently caress off :argh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Or just replace them all with roundabouts so that half the time you don't even need to slow down :getin:

Except for the retarded ones they implement in places where no one has seen a roundabout before, where each entrance has a stop sign. gently caress off :argh:

I like roundabouts with traffic lights on them. That doesn't seem like a massive loving waste of time at all.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I like people who come to a complete stop one an on-ramp to the highway.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I like roundabouts with traffic lights on them. That doesn't seem like a massive loving waste of time at all.

The ones with the traffic lights directly off of them blow my mind. Don't they have those around London?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MoraleHazard posted:

gently caress THOSE PEOPLE

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My city jus replaced most of their high traffic intersections with roundabouts and it owns. Not only is traffic way better but you can just slam bikes through them pinned and scraping pegs like a boss

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Digital_Jesus posted:

I don't have a cruise control, just a throttle lock. If the wind picks up a bit, I go a little slower. If it dies down, a bit faster. Hills? Same deal. Still, some douchebag will just pace me the whole time. Usually, they'll put their car so I'm just in the blind spot. They come up on traffic, jam on the brakes, and then switch lanes behind me. Pass, drift back up to pace me. Then they'll find some other moron doing the same thing. Now we have three vehicles doing some kind of complicated choreography EVERY time there's a slower vehicle to pass. Even though I'm literally not touching the throttle in any way.

I then leave those idiots behind at 120. 90 seconds at 120 gives a LOT of room.

Furthermore, I rode like 400 miles on I-95 this weekend. Almost all of it was in the rightmost lane. I only VERY infrequently had to leave it to pass. I was passing an rear end-ton of cars and trucks, though. It was like bizzarro world, where the left lane was for people hanging out and chilling, and the right lane was for passing.

I absolutely hate it when someone moves right to pass a set of slow cars on the right, then gets back into the middle lane when there is NO OTHER TRAFFIC AROUND. WTF is wrong with "keep right except to pass"? I want to get that written on a fluorescent sign and staple it to my back or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

The ones with the traffic lights directly off of them blow my mind. Don't they have those around London?

Not many, but there are plenty with zebra crossings hidden just around the corner from the exit. No, it's the ones with traffic lights in the middle of them that boil my piss. JUST MAKE IT A loving CROSSROADS.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MoraleHazard posted:

I got on the highway around rush hour today at an on-ramp that's actually two different highway entrances that merge about fifty feet before hitting the highway proper, with no clear right of way. Chaos reigned. I just went around the entire mess and merged into a hole a charter bus could've fit in without slowing down. Kind of a jerk move but people had all the room in the world and weren't going anywhere.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah people who merge onto the interstate at 20 mph less than the flow of traffic can get blown the gently caress up. These fuckers who merge at 55 mph in a 70 or 65 mph zone almost get me killed from traffic on the freeway running up our collective asses. I'll leave these people in the dust when I merge AT the speed limit on the interstate, which is usually BELOW the speed of flow of traffic. Sure enough, 10 minutes later here comes Fuckwad McGee trundling past me at 20 mph over the limit. Why the gently caress can't you do that on the on-ramp and not dry gently caress the flow of traffic on the interstate?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Some douchenozzle in an F-150 drove up inside the toll booth with me when I was running my card over the reader.

First time that's happened to me, I was a little upset.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Here's my favorite lovely driver and intersection combo:

The road coming from the left is an interstate exit ramp. I was in the middle lane, and notice a car to my left with his left blinker on. My friend and I laugh and I figure he left it on from the highway somehow. The light turns green, and he takes a left turn onto the road coming from the top. That road is a one way that people usually drive pretty quick on. I lost sight of him, so I don't know whether he was trying to get back on the highway or just stupid. Luckily it was like 11 at night so the road was empty.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My bikes are named "the drz" "the f11" and "the rv90"

I am a complicated man

"The bike."

For a while, it was "the green bike" and "the grey bike", and then I sold the green bike.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
Attention ignorant redneck fucks, a flashing red stoplight or a loss of power at an intersection means "FOUR-WAY STOP", not "blaze through at 50mph without even pretending to slow down because this light is apparently malfunctioning or some poo poo".

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Coredump posted:

Yeah people who merge onto the interstate at 20 mph less than the flow of traffic can get blown the gently caress up. These fuckers who merge at 55 mph in a 70 or 65 mph zone almost get me killed from traffic on the freeway running up our collective asses. I'll leave these people in the dust when I merge AT the speed limit on the interstate, which is usually BELOW the speed of flow of traffic. Sure enough, 10 minutes later here comes Fuckwad McGee trundling past me at 20 mph over the limit. Why the gently caress can't you do that on the on-ramp and not dry gently caress the flow of traffic on the interstate?

I think most drivers need to taxi from the on ramp to runway 1R, transition to runway 2R (without signaling) still at taxi speed and then slowly proceed to V1 (flow of traffic). To hit the freeway at the speed everyone else is going? Preposterous!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

EvilSlug posted:

Attention ignorant redneck fucks, a flashing red stoplight or a loss of power at an intersection means "FOUR-WAY STOP", not "blaze through at 50mph without even pretending to slow down because this light is apparently malfunctioning or some poo poo".

A lot of intersections in the city switch to flashing reds in all directions, or flashing reds for side traffic and flashing yellows for main traffic after midnight. I treat all of them as 'stop and watch for a while' when I ride home at night, cause of what you said. People fly thru them.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Am I crazy for liking riding alone? My friends always want me to ride with them and I have absolutely no desire to. I also have zero incentive to ride outside of commuting. I just feel the adventure is the byproduct of purpose-driven agendas and have't really ever had a desire to just go and ride for the sake of riding. I mean, I will take a motorcycle over a car ten times out of ten and I'll look for excuses to be productive just so I can ride my bike, but "group rides" don't really have the same ring to them when your trip is nothing but brodozers, McMansions, smog, and badlands. :geno:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Xovaan posted:

Am I crazy for liking riding alone? My friends always want me to ride with them and I have absolutely no desire to. I also have zero incentive to ride outside of commuting. I just feel the adventure is the byproduct of purpose-driven agendas and have't really ever had a desire to just go and ride for the sake of riding. I mean, I will take a motorcycle over a car ten times out of ten and I'll look for excuses to be productive just so I can ride my bike, but "group rides" don't really have the same ring to them when your trip is nothing but brodozers, McMansions, smog, and badlands. :geno:

Get a bunch of friends with ratbikes (not actual "ratbikes" the category, but lovely or well-worn UJMs, oddball motorcycles, and the occasional modded moped or scooter), and go camping or something. Taking half a day to figure out how to bungee all the poo poo onto your bike, riding out (and having at least one person have a minor mechanical breakdown), and sitting next to a river or something and make smores is awesome beyond words.

:iia:

I did that with my barely-highway-capable Royal Enfield and a friend on his recently-running CM250C, and it was pretty cool. We just went out and made a campfire and scouted for constellations on a railroad track (this was Idaho so not much light pollution).

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Well, see, that's camping. That's awesome. I am more talking of the whole "hey let's ride" thing. If somebody said "hey let's motorcycle camp", well hell yeah I'm down for that! But just riding? Sorry, I gotta rank up in CS:GO or categorize my warm plastic women collection. Ain't got time to dilly dally. :smaug:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Group rides suck.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Xovaan posted:

I'm pretty much with you. I don't really understand the appeal. Riding always feels like such an individual, isolated pursuit to me anyway, it's not like you're chatting it up with your bros while you're riding. There's a sport bike Meetup in my area where guys just meet somewhere, and then go for a 30 minute ride to Dave and Busters or something. Why not just ride straight there by yourself? What's the appeal of being one of a pack of bikes on the highway? Maybe this is all :goonsay: but I just don't get it.

I also don't do the "ride around to nowhere" thing a lot of people do. I can understand it better than group rides, though. Just being on a bike beats sitting at home, obviously. I just like to have a destination.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Xovaan posted:

Am I crazy for liking riding alone?
No

quote:

have't really ever had a desire to just go and ride for the sake of riding.
Now you're crazy. Unless you have a lovely bike or live in a lovely place or something.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Z3n posted:

Group rides suck.

Depends on the size of the group and the people in it. Riding with 1-2 good riders who you know well can be a great time. Riding with 5+ good riders is like hearding cats. Riding with 1 or more lovely riders makes you want to ride off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Z3n posted:

Group rides suck.

Welcome to has been forever

Edit: Regarding idiots trying to race at lights, I've had that happen a lot this year too for some reason. If I can tell someone wants to seriously race and they can hear me, I'll open my visor and say "50 bucks". I've done that a couple times and they seem to calm down pretty fast when the light turns green. I know it's an ST and poo poo, but you have got to have one gently caress of a car to even be in the realm.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 17, 2013