Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

BGrifter posted:

Entirely anecdotal, but if the kids my nieces and nephew associate with are any indication the iPod Touch blows the iPad Mini away in that category. I've never seen an iPad Mini in the wild, but every kid under 16 seems to have an iPod Touch.

Could just be that the Mini is newer and hasn't had enough time to replace old devices, I see a lot more 4th gen iPods than 5th gen ones.

My three year old uses an iPad Mini. She loves it, way better than my wife's phone. My 6 year old nephew also uses a 10 inch tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

JazzFlight posted:

I pay $25 a month for a cheap-rear end Android phone on Virgin Mobile that I barely use and carry around a 64gb iPod Touch for a great camera, HD recording, games, and web-stuff when on WiFi.

I'm the market for the Touch. And I don't want to invest in jorts for a Mini when I have a full-sized iPad at home.
Virgin Mobile offers a iPhone 5 on contract for $30.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wario In Real Life posted:

Virgin Mobile offers a iPhone 5 on contract for $30.
Contract. I pay month to month.
Edit: Actually, if it's month to month as well, then they make you buy the phone, which is still a ton more than an iPod Touch. I use maybe 5 minutes of phone time every month if that. I just can't justify an expensive phone.

Edit 2: 64gb iPhone 5 is $584.99 compared to $399.99 iPod Touch (a year after its release). iPod Touch is more comparable to a widescreen 4s, but the 5 is still last year's model.

Virgin Mobile, for all its cheap plans, has pretty poo poo coverage, though. Not a recommendation if you want to have a serious big-boy phone. I can see your argument, but it's not an ideal situation.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 16, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I misspoke. It's prepaid month to month $30.

Either way, you already have your iPod so it's not attractive to you. However, we were originally discussing a new version of the iPod Touch, which has essentially become an iPhone without a cell antenna in it. Buying one of those for $400 and using a crappy phone is seeming less and less attractive of an option.

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 16, 2013

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Alright. I'm about to take the plunge. I'm going to be buying a black iPad with retina display. But I'm kind of at an impasse. I'm not sure what size to get. I was leaning towards the 32GB model. The iPad won't be my main computing device, but I'll be doing a lot of playing around on it (testing iPhone apps I've created, watching movies, to name a few things). How much space should I realistically be looking at?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

JazzFlight posted:

I pay $25 a month for a cheap-rear end Android phone on Virgin Mobile that I barely use and carry around a 64gb iPod Touch for a great camera, HD recording, games, and web-stuff when on WiFi.

I'm the market for the Touch. And I don't want to invest in jorts for a Mini when I have a full-sized iPad at home.

The device I wish they'd do something new with is the iPod Nano. They're really slick little devices, but $150 for a 16gb Nano is terrible value for money. Maybe if they broke the Apple rule against adding a MicroSD slot it might be somewhat better. I'd love an awesome little Apple MP3 player I can tuck into that mini-pocket for lighters in my jeans, but not at that price with only 16gb of storage.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

melon cat posted:

Alright. I'm about to take the plunge. I'm going to be buying a black iPad with retina display. But I'm kind of at an impasse. I'm not sure what size to get. I was leaning towards the 32GB model. The iPad won't be my main computing device, but I'll be doing a lot of playing around on it (testing iPhone apps I've created, watching movies, to name a few things). How much space should I realistically be looking at?

I would wait until the 22nd to see what new iPads are announced.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

melon cat posted:

I would say that the 32GB is a great starting point if you can afford it. The 16GB model runs out of space very quickly, while the 32GB model will let you keep a decent selection of music, videos, etc and still have room for updates without you needing to clear up space.

That being said, you may want to wait until after the announcement on the 22nd to see how prices fluctuate (definitely avoid buying a brand new one until then if you can).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Back to iPad discussion for me, I hope they bump the tiers finally to 32/64/128 and leave the 16 maybe for the mini to start at.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That'd be nice, although as long as 16GB is usable and people are willing to spend $100 more for another 16GB I'm guessing it'll stay as is.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Yeah, while I can see the desire for it, it almost definitely will not happen. Apple will continue to squeeze out as much margin from these devices as they can. They're hardly ever on the cutting edge of the storage side of things. They might offer a 128GB option at a $100+ premium over the current lineup, but there's no way they're dropping 16 and making 32 the new standard at the same pricing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They might offer a 128GB option at a $100+ premium over the current lineup
They already do. It was added to the lineup back in January.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

For those of you unfortunates with a 16gb iPad, how much free space did it have out of the box? Work wants to buy a few 16gbs, I wonder if I could make a case for 32gb? Main purpose will be taking on the job photos, keeping a small database, catalog, etc. Photos wouldn't take more than 10gb or so. No music or more than a few extra apps.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

For those of you unfortunates with a 16gb iPad, how much free space did it have out of the box? Work wants to buy a few 16gbs, I wonder if I could make a case for 32gb? Main purpose will be taking on the job photos, keeping a small database, catalog, etc. Photos wouldn't take more than 10gb or so. No music or more than a few extra apps.

It uses about 3 gigs.

16 Gb is just fine for me! This is also before I dump my 1k+ of photos.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 16, 2013

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They already do. It was added to the lineup back in January.

Well, for the full iPad. Mini still tops out at 64GB (which I don't see changing).

Gruber is talking about how this is a larger venue than the iPhone announcement, which seems odd. Guessing maybe because it'll also cover Mavericks and the new Mac Pro?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I had no idea about the announcement coming on the 22nd. I'll definitely wait for that before making any purchase decisions. Thanks for letting me know about that.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

DarkJC posted:

Countdown to a tech blog over analyzing the coloured shapes on the invite in 3...2...1...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It uses about 3 gigs.

Thank you sir, so 13gb free should be enough I suppose, thought it was much less for some reason.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I really hope the new iPad included Touch ID. I didn't think I would like it very much but now I don't even swipe on my 5S.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Thank you sir, so 13gb free should be enough I suppose, thought it was much less for some reason.

Be warned that you won't be able to do OTA iOS updates if you have less than 3.4GB free.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

BGrifter posted:

You just buy a burner and use the iPod Touch as a wifi-only iPhone. They're fantastic little devices, slimmer and nicer than the iPhone at a fraction of the price. $209 for the 16gb, $279 for the 32gb.

I have an old Nokia smartphone that I use for calls, and I had a 32GB iPod Touch that I used for pretty much everything else. I never had to worry about the battery dying and not being able to make an important call. But I lost it last month. Been holding off replacing it, just in case the 6G were to be announced this month, but I'm finally leaning to finally going for an iPhone 5s. Just annoying that it's not easily available in Northern Europe yet. But if a 6G with good specs were to be announced, I'd be very tempted to go for it. The price here would be around 50% cheaper. Not sure if the premium is worth it for the cellular radio / GPS.

melon cat posted:

I had no idea about the announcement coming on the 22nd.

Pretty sure the thread title has been like that a while now. ;)

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

I misspoke. It's prepaid month to month $30.

Either way, you already have your iPod so it's not attractive to you. However, we were originally discussing a new version of the iPod Touch, which has essentially become an iPhone without a cell antenna in it. Buying one of those for $400 and using a crappy phone is seeming less and less attractive of an option.

Is it even really possible to get a new phone without having to pay a $30-50 data contract? I kind of figured they'd just about transitioned most people onto data contracts by now.

I killed my contract with AT&T to switch over to T-Mobile's unlimited data/texts + 100 minutes plan for $30/month. It's pre-paid and if you run out of minutes, they are 10 cents a minute after that. Considering AT MOST I used 150 minutes a month, that's $35 total out the door instead of the 95 I was paying for the cheapest AT&T plan with a discount. Honestly, the two year subsidized deals are terrible for the consumer and just ok for the phone companies. What are data plans running for iPads these days? I know they used to vary greatly across the providers. Have they streamlined them at all into an industry average?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's a discussion point for y'all: if they release an iPad mini Retina, will they still sell the old iPad mini and just charge more for the Retina?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

smackfu posted:

Here's a discussion point for y'all: if they release an iPad mini Retina, will they still sell the old iPad mini and just charge more for the Retina?
I hope not, we should be getting off the A5 processor and moving on to the A6/A7 and the RAM upgrades that come with new models. Full steam ahead, I say.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple can't increase the price of the Mini. You can get the Nexus 7 with IPS/Retina display for $230. The Mini will be updated with Retina and the older one will just go on fire sale until stock clears.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

smackfu posted:

Only Apple would know - it depends on what kind of stock they have, how's the price on the processor, demand forecasting and whether Tim Cook woke in a good mood that day.

Previously I would've guessed definitely not, since it's both old and slow, but who knows these days. I'd still guess no but I wouldn't be surprised after the iPad 2's continued success.

If I had to wager, I'd say both ipad2 and iPad mini OG will be shown the door. One week to find out!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple can't increase the price of the Mini. You can get the Nexus 7 with IPS/Retina display for $230. The Mini will be updated with Retina and the older one will just go on fire sale until stock clears.

People who buy Apple products aren't aware and/or don't care about competing product prices, they can do whatever they want.

They shouldn't, but they can.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

People who buy Apple products aren't aware and/or don't care about competing product prices, they can do whatever they want.

That's just wrong man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People bought the iPad Mini.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Aphrodite posted:

Well, it's the only 8" tablet running IOS. It just really seems like the iPad market isn't the same as the tablet market so they don't really compete with Nexus screen specs.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

T-Mo CEO posted:

John Legere (@JohnLegere) tweeted at 5:21pm - 16 Oct 13:

What has two thumbs and is excited for October 22? #thisguy usat.ly/168TD3B (https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/390588414573428736)

Hell yea. Just switched to TMobile last month with my 5S and am quite happy with my service and value. Gonna pickup my first iPad next week and wanted to hear exactly that. C'mon 64GB retina mini w/ touchID & LTE.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
My money is on iPad 2/mini being phased out. I think the A5 has pretty much pushed as much milage as realistically possible, and I do not see Apple hamstringing themselves with another generation with it. The big question is what the new mini will get, I think it will basically get the current iPad's guts w/retina display naturally.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
They're still selling the 4S, so the A5 is already alive for another year or so just cause of that. Alternatively I could see the iPad mini sticking around cause the design is staying the same, with the iPad 2 design (used in 3rd and 4th gen) finally going away.

I don't know if they'll do it, but a separate reason to get rid of the 2 and mini is that they're (hopefully) the last non retina display iOS devices.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

The big question is what the new mini will get, I think it will basically get the current iPad's guts w/retina display naturally.
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple put A7 in the Mini instead of the A6X. A6X is a comparatively massive (read: expensive) chip and A7 already has more GPU power than it. You wouldn't even need a theoretical A7X to drive the display, and it gets you a 64-bit SoC and better power efficiency.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple put A7 in the Mini instead of the A6X. A6X is a comparatively massive (read: expensive) chip and A7 already has more GPU power than it. You wouldn't even need a theoretical A7X to drive the display, and it gets you a 64-bit SoC and better power efficiency.

I guess, but for $170 difference what would the larger iPad really offer then? Unless they have something else cooked up for it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 17, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

I guess, but for $170 difference what would the larger iPad really offer then? Unless they have something else cooked up for it.
They could still do an A7X for the higher-margin 10" SKU, especially if they're going to make a big push on games with the MFi controllers and such.

edit: But I really wouldn't be surprised if they just did A7 across the board. The GPU could definitely handle driving an iPad's retina display, even if it wouldn't be the massive performance jump we saw in previous generations.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 17, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

edit: ^^^^^^

Scratch that, you're talking about the iPad Mini, who the gently caress knows what they have in store for that. But regarding the regular iPad: I'm almost willing to bet they'll have an A7X on the regular iPad, there's no way they put an iphone processor in there. Also there's no leaks of the front of the next iPad yet, so I'm wondering if they'll have the fingerprint reader.

Aphrodite posted:

People also bought Nexus tablets...

While there's this fantasy that Apple can package Tim Cook's feces in a cool marketing campaign and "Apple Sheeple" will preorder it at 12:00am and form lines, it's just not true outside of a very small core of Apple faithful. All it takes is a very small fuckup to tarnish their image.

Apple's market is harder to reach and much more rewarding financially, but they can lose this market share just as easily as any other company if they gently caress up. Hell, they haven't noticeably hosed up since Steve died, and Samsung is more of a competitor than ever, just based on "We're (somewhat) cheaper and have better specs!".

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 17, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

edit: ^^^^^^ I'm almost willing to bet they'll have an A7X on the regular iPad, there's no way they put an iphone processor in there.
But it's faster than the A6X. :confused: Who cares if it's an "iPhone processor" besides the tiny subset of users who even know what SoC is in their iPad.

The most likely outcome would be an A7X using a PowerVR G6630, which is ~50% faster than the G6430 in the A7. I guess we'll have to see what they do in a week or so. I'm still thinking that A7 (especially in the Mini) is entirely possible.

Also it's really odd that we don't have logic board leaks yet to put this all to rest.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Also there's no leaks of the front of the next iPad yet, so I'm wondering if they'll have the fingerprint reader.
The supposed front of the iPad did leak already and the hole for the button was cut out in a manner consistent with the 5S' Touch ID sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

But it's faster than the A6X. :confused: Who cares if it's an "iPhone processor" besides the tiny subset of users who even know what SoC is in their iPad.

Sorry, I didn't notice you were referring to the iPad mini, so ignore my previous comment, I meant the regular iPad.

The supposed front of the iPad did leak already and the hole for the button was cut out in a manner consistent with the 5S' Touch ID sensor.

You seem to be correct, and apparently Gold is leaked for both iPad Mini2 and the next iPad:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/ipad-5-ipad-mini-2-2372641

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mod edit: fixed the image leeching

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 17, 2013