Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

That's pretty much what I explained to her, he needs as good a first experience as possible and he needs to be maintained at home. I had to take a lot of matting off under his chin and on one side of his face, so to leave the rest long would have looked ridiculous. She'd actually come back with her 20-something son and explained "This is his master, and when he saw him he was SHOCKED." Luckily my actual manager is away for the month and the woman in charge while he's gone was there to back me up and isn't the type to just collapse and give the groom for free when someone isn't happy. If the actual manager was there he likely would have apologized, given the groom for free and taken me aside for a lecture about "pleasing the pet parent".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Yeah I kinda found it creepy at first how the company referred to owners as "pet parents" but now I use it too :downs:
And it's bullshit that they refund everything. Depending on the MOD that day we often give partial refunds. The fact that it comes down down to "hey do what's in the best interest of the animal." and then they punish you for that leads to a lot of hostility I think between management and groomers.
I don't know if I told you the story about the lady with the 3 nervous aussies. One is normal (who my coworker lucked out and did the day before the other two came in) one shakes the whole time, and the other one BARFS everywhere all the time. The elderly dog had tree sap stuck to its belly and the owners told us to shave it out, uncovering a scab. A very little scab, smaller than a dime, that had probably been caused by whatever crap was in the hair. They told us to do it, with two witnesses. Lady picked up, was super mad that they took so long (Yo, they're large dogs with a shittone of coat to blow out) and claimed she never told us to shave out the sap and then threatened to sue us. Our manager was being kinda a pussy that day so he refunded BOTH of the Aussies.
gently caress that lady, and gently caress everyone who comes in and does this. This is why so many people get burnout. You don't take your kid to a hair dresser with gum in their hair and get mad and threaten to sue when the hair has to be shaved. GODDAMN.

In Job news, we got a new salon manager who doesn't have a lot of patience, with one year experience in grooming. I get that she's giving me advice because I ask the guy with double the experience of me questions about certain things, but it's getting reaaaal condescending at this point, and I don't know how to deal.

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 23, 2013

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

It could be that she's just trying to fit in her role. She might feel like she HAS to give advice, or that she's helping, or that she can bond by talking about that sort of stuff. Remember, you were in her place before, and you hated it when the other people came across as smug.

Or she could be a jerk. There are a lot of jerks in the world.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah and I appreciate it, the BIG THING is when I try to explain something to 'er she's always got a reason why not. And I'm totally being taken advantage of here because I'm rushing through all my dogs so I can clean up after everyone else. Groomed one dog today and spent the rest of the day cleaning instead of making calls to bring in business so we could make some money.

I don't know how to come across because the rage is just hitting the boiling point.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

So this is Cody! He's seriously the dog I'm most proud of, out of all the dogs I do. I wish I could take credit for this blow-out, but that was the work of our awesome bather. I'm so proud of HER, too, she's the first girl in a LONG time that really takes pride in her work.

Anyway, Cody's a big burly beast. His coat is amazing, more poodle than bichon. I've done him every 2 weeks ever since he was a puppy in.... '08? He's one of the few dogs that's "mine". Right now, he's at a #10 1/4 body with #10 1/2 legs because he has stick legs, haha. Used to be a half on his back, too, with his legs being skimmed, but I've worked him down to this because it's easier. :ssh: They'll probably want it longer for winter, though.

Anyway, Cody is super handsome and photogenic so I wanted to share him. :3:

On another note, A Big Whoop, I showed my boss your Samoyed pictures and told her about it. She said he looked phenomenal, that he should have been at least $120, and I'm pretty sure you'd have a job with us if you ever move to Chicago! Haha!

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Holy moley he is huge and super handsome! I got all excited today because I had a new Bichon coming in, turned out to be maybe a Maltese cross. I haven't had a Bichon yet where the owners actually wanted a Bichon head done.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Yeah, most people just want it bichon-ish, but short. And I am SO sick of having to leave bichons with long ears!!! :argh: That poo poo's supposed to blend it with the head, damnit! Cody's a special case. When he first came to us, he was coming every 4 weeks, and coming in matted. It even got to the point where one time, I had to shave him completely bald with a #10. Had a talk with the owner, and pretty much said, "Look, the only way you're going to be able to keep a long cut on this thick-rear end hair is to come every 2 weeks and comb the dog all the time." Usually when that happens, people deal with a #5 and call it a day. Not this lady. "I paid for a bichon because I wanted a bichon, and we're going to do whatever we have to, to keep him nice!" So now Cody comes every 2 weeks in perfect condition. We're super close with the family now, too, the lady's daughter was even working for us while she was in high school. :) It's awesome, because I feel like I get insane practice on an actual, drat good looking dog. Every time he comes in, I try my damnedest to get him even better looking than the last time. It was even more satisfying when I was the one drying him, too. I LOVE getting curly dogs completely stick straight.

Of course, now I'm just looking at the pictures and noticing all the flaws. :argh:

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Aww, thanks DubyaBag :3.
Funny thing is, I've had a couple people offer me jobs, just not in this area :downs:
Guess I should really work on a portfolio and shove it in EVERYBODY's face.
That is a cutiepants bichons, good job, haha. I find that most people don't want that weird loving hump that is apparently the breed standard on the back of the head and really want 'em looking more like poodles in a teddy clip anyway. Bichon faces are kinda naturally pointed so clean faces end up look really weird on them, but if you have a mix breed a lot of times it's the only way to tell if it has some bichon in it!
I gotta start getting mean/putting my foot down with some of my customers. I have one lady who's house I go to and I completely hosed up and missed it today. Thankfully she's a super sweet lady who understands, and we rescheduled for next week. Weird too because all of the other groomers I've met in this area have been super catty and assholish with the exception of one, so when I have to head out, I'm going to recommend all my clients to her instead of the company I work for because EEFFF DEEZ BEEZIES.

And Fat Dio Maltese are like if you threw a Yorkie and a bichon together (but it ended up with silky hair)

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 27, 2013

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

The Big Whoop posted:

I find that most people don't want that weird loving hump that is apparently the breed standard on the back of the head and really want 'em looking more like poodles in a teddy clip anyway.

Yeah, believe it or not, even with that monster head, his hair is so "short" that the hump in the back would look ridiculous. I think that's most of it, is that even the puffiest of dogs are still pet dogs. Who the hell wants to deal with a whole show coat? Even with Cody, I used to do thicker legs, more in line with the standard, they were awesome, I wish I had a picture. You couldn't even see his feet. :3: But it's just too much damned work!! It was taking WAY too long to dry and make nice enough to be able to cut. So over time, I just started working his hair back. No one ever noticed, haha. If they realize I cut him shorter over the summer, he'll probably go back to a little longer for the winter, but last year they KNEW he was cut shorter, this time I did it without asking, hahaha.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

I do the same on a little Poodle/Bichon mix. They like the look to be a little rough, but they also like the top of his head and beard to be really short. He is always really nervous and ends up a little overheated by the end of the groom. He's cool though, cause he's a little athlete, literally has jumped off the table and over the little swingy doors because he wants to go home.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Hi folks

I'm hoping someone will be able to recommend a good brush to buy to help keep on top of my ragdoll's moulting. None of the pet groomers around here touch cats, so they've been unhelpful with advice. Basically, Hugo has a super thick coat, with the top layer reaching approx 6-7cm in length, and a thick fluffy undercoat. He's got a ton of loose fur in his undercoat. At the moment he's dumping his winter coat and he's shedding at a ridiculous rate, to the point it's actually triggering allergies.

In my home-brushing arsenal I currently have a long-hair furminator, a flea comb and a slicker brush. Hugo hates the furminator and it pulls his fur painfully, so I don't use that at all. The flea comb can get some of the loose fur out, if I brush in different directions (not directly backwards). He loves the slicker brush so I use it every day, but it gets minimal loose fur off and just kind of moves it around instead of getting it off him.

Anyone have any handy hints? He's only 18 months old, so I don't mind investing in a pricy brush since I'll be using it for at least a decade.

e: Boofhead

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 5, 2013

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Do you think the flea comb might be too fine for his coat? I LOVE my flea comb for my long-haired kitty, but she's just some domestic mutt that happens to have the best coat in the world, nice and thin. If it seems like the comb is just gliding off the surface without getting to the root very well, you can try a greyhound comb. Just a metal comb with a wide end and a finer end. The teeth that are farther apart might get in there better. With my cat and with my husky, I'll start with the slicker, use the comb, then the flea comb, so I'm working my way down. If you have too much bulk to start with, the finer tools won't get through. But it's hard to say without actually seeing your kitty in person, I'm sorry! Also, this is totally anecdotal, I've never actually WORKED on kitties.

Edit: Or how about a rake like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Animal-Care-Canine-Undercoat/dp/B007N3C7TY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380969768&sr=8-4&keywords=undercoat+rake

It's pretty pokey, so you have to be careful digging in too much on a kitty, but it might break through some of that really fluffy stuff, especially around the neck.

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 5, 2013

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I think the flea comb probably is too fine, now that you've described it. It slides off his super long top coat unless I part his fur and carefully brush downwards (saw it on a youtube video). I'm incredibly careful not to do anything that might pull on his skin though. I'll give a brush like that a go and see how I get on - thanks for the advice! Luckily Hugo loves all non-furminator grooming and immediately starts grooming himself (and my hand) when I start, so at least it's an enjoyable experience for him when I try things out :)

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Slicker brush and coat king! Or a knockoff of one. It's pretty rad because the teeth are rounded, and it gets all that gross fur out.

I have 4 cats on monday
KILL ME

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

New salon manager literally not looking at notes, and just takin' people's request dogs. That's not cool, because she chopped the topknot off of one of my requests and the owner was really upset about it.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Son of a bitch!!! Come ON, that is just ridiculous. People are nuts over their topknots.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
I have an extremely fluffy long hair cat who gets dreadlocks everywhere and she has difficulty grooming herself and staying clean. I brush her once a week or so, and use a texturizing razor (the kind for people hair) to gently carve out any matted bits.

She absolutely LOVES it when I groom her, to the point where she'll be laying on her back kneading the air and I have to grab her paws to stop her from moving while I get the matted hair from under her arms and on her chest.

It doesn't seem to damage her coat at all, but she does have a very funky spiky haircut. She's absolutely terrified of clippers, and I'm scared to use scissors on her because she moves so much while kneading so the razor works well since I don't have to worry about cutting her.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I'm still not done my 100 dogs after 2 months and am starting to get crap from various managers and supervisors because of it. Nevermind that I've literally had days where I was fully booked and MAYBE one of my dogs showed, I've had ridiculous bad luck. I had a poodle that got clean face and feet, and topknot, and I think I did it pretty well, but it didn't count towards my 100 dogs because the owners didn't want the coat long enough :bang:

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Bah, they told me it would take about 3 months. You should be able to get credit for your poodle if you complete it with the long coat, have your manger be like OK COOL and then shave it down.

Had a lady get SUPER PISSED and walk out, called to complain because I was on lunch while she was dropping off her cat. (almost spelled that Catte, haha)

Gettin' really pissy about these coworkers, one literally took 5 or 6 dogs and only gave the closer 1 dog, and left without doing any cleaning. The same thing she has gotten on me for, (I literally have 2 writeups for not cleaning in the past)

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 8, 2013

leverite where
Nov 18, 2007

my peripheral vision is excellent
Ugh, I just wanted to rant about the worst grooming experience ever. Brother took the family dog, our 1.5 year old Australian Shepherd, to his groomer friend, who turned out to be completely loving incompetent because she suggested to completely shave him.

Here are some pictures of him before. Had never been groomed, needed a trim and was quite unruly, but still looked pretty good:

After:

Worst part, the groomer is proud of her work and parading the dog on her Facebook page (the before/after instagram picture is hers).

I think I'll get in touch with this groomer and ask her what the hell she was thinking doing this to a double-coated breed. Maybe somehow ask for a refund on this $50 job. Alas, any tips on what we can do now (if anything) to make the coat-growing process better? Any precautions we should take when we go out now? Sun-protection or anything?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

HOLY loving HELL. I am so sorry. :( I would be loving LIVID if I were you. At least the weather's in an in-between phase right now, but that coat definitely won't be back by winter. I think your biggest challenge will be keeping the coat brushed well while the guard hairs grow back. The undercoat is going to come in first, and that situation is ripe for matting. On the plus side, since this is his only time being shaved, you should still be able to get the coat mostly back to normal. God drat, that's short, though. :smith:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Oh lovely, just in time for winter too. This is the time of year I stop shaving my head for thermal reasons... what the gently caress was she thinking?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Christ! That's so bad! I'm so sorry! No offence, but he looks TERRIBLE. All Aussies need is a poo poo tonne of combing/brushing to get the undercoat out and maybe a trim behind the ears. Good luck getting some cash back. What on earth could have been said to communicate that you wanted him shaved down?

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

a life less posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Christ! That's so bad! I'm so sorry! No offence, but he looks TERRIBLE. All Aussies need is a poo poo tonne of combing/brushing to get the undercoat out and maybe a trim behind the ears. Good luck getting some cash back. What on earth could have been said to communicate that you wanted him shaved down?

"He sheds so much."

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Theeeeeeeeeeeen maybe don't get a loving Aussie? :v: That WAS such a handsome dog. Was. :smith:

Is there a quicker way to get burrs out? I'm spoiled by Shadow's wash-n-wear plush coat and am being driven nuts by how Daisy's stringy BC coat catches burrs like a bitch. I don't look forward to sitting there picking them out one by one all the time. She also mats pretty bad on the back of her thighs (also discovered when I felt the mats that she has some fuckin' BEEFY legs under that fur, my god, you'd think she was an athlete).

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Try a slicker brush. Works really well if they're not too deep or too big of burs. Some of the nastier ones I have to pick out by hand.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I was gonna say the same thing. Look for something curved and a little hard, it'll break it up easier.

This one, in the middle size, is my favorite: https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemain/catalog/productDetail.jsf?area=PMGT-01-01&sort=TA&wec-appid=PEDM_WEBSHOP_TR&page=72A214C22827430A9795247F1BF064D6&itemKey=005056A633791ED2B591403F75DA0FB3&show=72&view=grid&wec-locale=en_US

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 16, 2013

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I've seen a few Cavaliers in my area with a 'puppy cut' lately. Well, that's what their owners called it anyway, the hair is only about 1/2" long, even the tail and ears. No feathering at all. It's a bit embarrassing when you comment "Wow, he's a big puppy!" and the owner replies "That's because he's 8."

I don't see how shaving stops shedding though, surely the dog just drops short hair rather than long?

Speaking of hair dropping, my Cavs are shedding something chronic at the moment, it's ridiculous. Is there anything specific I should be doing to help get that extra loose hair out?

There are a few places around with DIY hydrobaths you can use, are hydrobaths any better than a regular bath in a bathtub or sink at home?
I know groomers have strong blow dryers, but do those mobile dog groomer people have the same?

What do you do when blow drying a dog to get out that extra fluff?

leverite where
Nov 18, 2007

my peripheral vision is excellent

a life less posted:

Right? To clarify, I wasn't around for this at all, I would have never agreed to shave him in a million years. I assume my brother just didn't want to offend his groomer friend's sensibilities, so agreed to whatever she suggested. Which still baffles me. She's also one of those mobile groomers who works out of an RV (note the 70s wood paneling in instagram picture), really doubt she has any real certifications.

:smith: Time to invest in some grooming supplies, might as well work on him myself from now on. Also started him on a proper skin + coat supplement + fish oil regimen, and will go through the undercoat for mats once it starts growing in (thanks WolfensteinBag!). I'll, uh, maybe post progress pictures every once in awhile of the growing out process. :v:

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Well yeah, obviously shaving a dog doesn't stop shedding, but lots and lots of people A) Don't have their logic circuits running so they can think "maybe I shouldn't get a shedding, longish-haired dog if I don't want to deal with it", and B) Want a quick fix for less hair and end up with a lovely groomer who doesn't tell them they're ruining their dog's coat. I had a woman bring in her 3 month old Pug/Jack and ask for it to be shaved because apparently it was shedding too much for her to deal with. People are nuts.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

To be fair, 50 dollars is not that much for an Aussie shavedown. I'd probably charge at least 20 more. What's the texture of his coat like at the moment? If he's got a really soft coat, it usually seems like they don't have as many issues as a sort of coarser coat would have. She's proud of her work because she made him look like a shorthaired Aussie, which is what a lot of people want. I like to leave a lot of feathing (long hair on the legs) when I do a shavedown unless the owner asks for it to be taken off, so they don't end up with stick legs and the dog looks a little more natural. God, that dog looks like he would have been a dream to hand scissor *sigh*.

Fat Dio posted:

Well yeah, obviously shaving a dog doesn't stop shedding, but lots and lots of people A) Don't have their logic circuits running so they can think "maybe I shouldn't get a shedding, longish-haired dog if I don't want to deal with it", and B) Want a quick fix for less hair and end up with a lovely groomer who doesn't tell them they're ruining their dog's coat. I had a woman bring in her 3 month old Pug/Jack and ask for it to be shaved because apparently it was shedding too much for her to deal with. People are nuts.

Pugs are shedding machines, and I've seen a few get shaved. Also universally the worst breed for nails. THE WORST.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

leverite where posted:

Ugh, I just wanted to rant about the worst grooming experience ever. Brother took the family dog, our 1.5 year old Australian Shepherd, to his groomer friend, who turned out to be completely loving incompetent because she suggested to completely shave him.

Here are some pictures of him before. Had never been groomed, needed a trim and was quite unruly, but still looked pretty good:

After:

Worst part, the groomer is proud of her work and parading the dog on her Facebook page (the before/after instagram picture is hers).

I think I'll get in touch with this groomer and ask her what the hell she was thinking doing this to a double-coated breed. Maybe somehow ask for a refund on this $50 job. Alas, any tips on what we can do now (if anything) to make the coat-growing process better? Any precautions we should take when we go out now? Sun-protection or anything?

Ha, I'd be blowing up her facebook with comments on how dissatisfied you are with how she ruined your dog's coat. Let anyone who follows her page see what the owners think of the job she did.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Serella posted:

Ha, I'd be blowing up her facebook with comments on how dissatisfied you are with how she ruined your dog's coat. Let anyone who follows her page see what the owners think of the job she did.

Seriously. Everyone needs feedback to get better, and she needs to get a lot better in a hurry.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah one of my coworkers who used to work in a vet's office wants me to take his aussie down really short because his hair grows so fast. I'm just like aahhhhh buuut I'll do it because you know what you're getting into, and I warned ya :V

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

What do you guys consider to be the point of ok gotta step back now? I have a little shih tzu who hates being blow dried at all and screams the whole time (even with a soundproof cap on. I can't have a kennel dryer on her ~at all~ because of rules. She literally poops so I took her out of the harness and started blow drying her in my lap. One of the managers comes by and tells me I'm overheating her, and in this situation I'd usually just keep blowdrying until the behavior stopped and then turn off the blowdryer. In my opinion it's just gonna make the issues worse because she's learning if she carries on enough the whole process will stop.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
She's literally making GBS threads herself. She's not 'carrying on', she's scared as hell. IMO with dogs like that it's a welfare issue and they should be sedated for grooming while the owner has to put in place a training programme. I know that's about 1% likely to happen and that's why I'm not in the industry.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Firstly, oh my goodness that was one beautiful, beautiful dog before that 'groomer' got hold of him. Demand your money back, that is appalling. If I ever took Hugo to a groomer and he came out shaved I would poo poo a brick.

Speaking of which, I actually popped in here to thank everyone for their long-haired-cat-comb suggestions. My local store was a bit sparse on options but I ended up with this http://www.pet.co.nz/product/cat/moulting-comb/7784 which works pretty well and Hugo doesn't hate it, so we're all winners! :toot:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

She's literally making GBS threads herself. She's not 'carrying on', she's scared as hell. IMO with dogs like that it's a welfare issue and they should be sedated for grooming while the owner has to put in place a training programme. I know that's about 1% likely to happen and that's why I'm not in the industry.

I wish my groomer wouldn't rush when dropping off Cash. I know she's busy, but he's starting to become a shaking, scared mess the minute we step in the door. I brought treats to shovel into him last time, but she kept staring at me like "what are you doing". Trying to not let my dog shut down enough to where he might bite you, because yes he does bite when scared.

Need to find an in home groomer really for both of them really.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

So, definitely agree on the first part. There's a big difference between a dog that's learned to get away with things, and a dog that's terrified. Not a lot of people can see it, it's really important to keep in mind when teaching a dog how to handle being groomed. However, I don't necessarily agree with the dog needing to be sedated. There are ways to work around things, if the owners (and your work) are willing to do them. If we ever get dogs like that (which we do quite a bit!) we'll generally plan for the fact that they take longer. We get them in the tub right away, then towel dry them really well and let them sit with a fan (not a dryer). We let them pretty much air dry (since you don't have stand dryers, you'd have to let them completely dry, or at least enough to make it through the hair cut) and we always, always cut those dogs nice and short, so they won't have to deal with a lot of hair. These dogs USUALLY have a better time the more they come, then, because we make a point to make the process as stress free as possible. The owners know the dogs will take longer, and they know they get a short hair cut or can take a hike (pretty much, we refer them to their vets).

The Big Whoop posted:

in this situation I'd usually just keep blowdrying until the behavior stopped and then turn off the blowdryer. In my opinion it's just gonna make the issues worse because she's learning if she carries on enough the whole process will stop.

To be fair, I DO do this and recommend it for dogs that are just learning the process and aren't scared. However, you need to make sure you're not putting the dog over threshold. You need to change their emotional state, or else they'll never "get it" that the thing shutting off is a result of them sitting still. You want them to learn that they don't have to be afraid of the dryer.

Another thing to note while we're on the subject is older dogs. I don't know what you guys have all seen, but we've noticed that older dogs tend to hit this point where they're starting to go senile, and then they stop tolerating the blower. :( They all start doing this same, weird, howling, and ALL end up urinating all over themselves, sometimes pooping as well. These dogs we DEFINITELY don't do the blower at all, and never try to revisit the issue. These are dogs that were fine with it at one point in their lives, but since they're older it makes them freak out. :( It's super sad.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I wish my groomer wouldn't rush when dropping off Cash. I know she's busy, but he's starting to become a shaking, scared mess the minute we step in the door. I brought treats to shovel into him last time, but she kept staring at me like "what are you doing". Trying to not let my dog shut down enough to where he might bite you, because yes he does bite when scared.

Need to find an in home groomer really for both of them really.

I HATE THIS!!! :argh: For me, it's usually the owners that are trying to rush it and freak their dogs out even more, though. Or they won't leave, a lot of times the dogs are completely fine once the owner's gone. All around, there's just bad handling in general. I'm sorry, I'm getting really bitter these days. :( I wish I could just have my own dogs and live in a tiny bubble and maybe once in awhile do some training in a group. I'm so done and ready for hermit mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I wish I knew if he settled down, but he acts the same at the vet and it takes me a while to calm him down. With his history of separation anxiety he's probably a wreck the whole time.

• Locked thread