Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Sludge Tank posted:

That truly kicks rear end.

Not related, but I've been trying to do that 'deadpan' thing a few of you have been doing. I can't get it at all. It's a lot harder than it looks. Cudos.

Gotta learn to just flanuer your way through life, brah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Loving the platforming nature of this shot.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

What does "platforming" mean?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My theory is he thinks it looks like a level from super mario bros.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Loving the FPS nature of this shot.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Looks more like Fallout to me.

edit: For content, here are some shots that I can't quite get the right white balance on. I'll get them right eventually, I'm sure!

vote_no fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 15, 2013

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Resident's Corner, Ang Mo Kio, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sin Ming, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Mailboxes, Sin Ming, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Romanv
Jun 13, 2013
Went out to the West Coast when it was super rowdy, get some pics of the big swells rolling in.

Tried to get a short enough exposure time that it would show some of the wave detail.

Turned out pretty grainy, as to be expected I guess

Some other ones on a longer exposure at lower ISO:

But didnt quite capture the rush of water as well.

Will try again some time when it's a little bit lighter, was only by moonlight.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
definitely go back in daylight. those are awesome despite ISO noise imo. really mean looking water. sweet spot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That second shot owns bones.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I spent a week hanging out with one of my friends in the Smokies and Nashville, then spent the weekend with my girlfriend in southeastern Missouri. I've got so many pictures to work through now. Gonna take forever to get through all of these. I'll start off with some shots from Tuckaleechee Caverns:

Descent by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

The Cathedral by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

The Palette by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Silver Falls by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Underground River by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Here's the full set

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 17, 2013

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

This is from the top of Mcafee's Knob off the Appalachian Trail, not far from Roanoke, Virginia.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Getting close to the end of my Iceland photos now...

Romanv
Jun 13, 2013
This is a pretty cool place to visit. Selfie.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
A few B&W landscapes for you:

Bunker Bay BW by simon deadman photo, on Flickr

Canal Rocks BW by simon deadman photo, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

The texture and contrast in this is fantastic.

Sludge Tank posted:

Not related, but I've been trying to do that 'deadpan' thing a few of you have been doing. I can't get it at all. It's a lot harder than it looks. Cudos.
It's about learning to look at the cultural landscape in the way we look at the natural. Almost everything in a built area (and even out in the countryside) can tell you something about the culture that inhabits that place. The English author Jonathan Meades, who writes a lot about place and architecture says if you look at anything long enough it becomes fantastical.

Someone posted this recently (can't remember the thread), and it's got some great tips for how to look at the human landscape: http://mrso.pbworks.com/f/Peirce%20Lewis_Axioms.pdf

P1120587.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Dread Head posted:

Getting close to the end of my Iceland photos now...

Well I guess you'll just need to go back there, then. Starting next spring there's going to be direct flights from Vancouver and Edmonton to Reykjavik through Icelandair

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

This is fantastic.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

neckbeard posted:

Well I guess you'll just need to go back there, then. Starting next spring there's going to be direct flights from Vancouver and Edmonton to Reykjavik through Icelandair

I saw that, as much as I would like to go back I for see myself exploring some other corner of the world. Iceland it defiantly a place I am hoping to return to at some point though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Foggy Morning by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Foggy Morning by g.hetzel, on Flickr

filmscan122 by g.hetzel, on Flickr

filmscan123 by g.hetzel, on Flickr

filmscan128 by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Some recent fog and some scans from like 4 months ago now.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Last of my photos from the Westfjords in Iceland, nearly done now. I think it was probably my most productive region of Iceland for photos.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've been in New Zealand for the last 2 weeks and it's been loving raining 90% of the time. Don't go to NZ in spring! Sydney is next, hoping the bush fires clear up soon.

On the plus side, my Mt. Bromo photo was posted on the Flickr blog, I guess I'm finally A Good Photographer. Yay me

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

I love living in SF... went exploring up the coast over the weekend:

Baker Beach 5 on Flickr

Baker Beach 7 on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Saint Fu posted:

I've been in New Zealand for the last 2 weeks and it's been loving raining 90% of the time. Don't go to NZ in spring! Sydney is next, hoping the bush fires clear up soon.

On the plus side, my Mt. Bromo photo was posted on the Flickr blog, I guess I'm finally A Good Photographer. Yay me

Weather is a bit of a bitch. When I was in Iceland it rained for a good portion of the time I was there, defiantly missed out on a number of locations due to the weather.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
It was the worst summer in something like thirty years.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

I really like the composition on this shot.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Saint Fu posted:

I was on South Island in June, hardly saw anything and most of my planned activities were cancelled. There was some huge polar storm that ripped through. I managed to get to Milford Sound after 6 days of waiting. Luckily it was a bluebird day so I have some nice shots, but I'm still working on them. I had two months in five countries so it's been taking forever to get them all done.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Oh wow, we haven't had it that bad, just wind and cold rain. I've never even heard of a polar storm.

I hear you on the backlog, I have a huge one to go through as well for this 5 country 2 month trip. I'm kinda looking forward to getting home to start processing but I usually end up picking only the best 5-10 from the whole trip and doing those then a new backlog starts building. Either that or I rush through a bunch thinking I'll go back through later and fine tune any I want to print (hahahaha yeah right).

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

DSCF2659.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
And I think these are the last of my Iceland photos. While I didn't have the best weather it was a stunningly beautiful country that I would love to visit again. If anyone has a chance to visit I would defiantly do it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Marina Bay Sands by alkanphel, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Autumn Japanese Gardens, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

That loving tree, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Japanese Gardens, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

DSCF2267.jpg by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 19, 2013

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Now onto the backlog of local stuff I have.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Some skyscapes from yesterday

single-mode fiber fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 19, 2013

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Saint Fu posted:

Yeah weather has been crap. I live in Queenstown and we've had 3 big electrical storms just this month and we never get electrical storms, weird.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Dread Head posted:

Now onto the backlog of local stuff I have.

I like the second more, both are nice though. Good job!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Moonrise, Storage Tanks - After Adams by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should clone out that power line. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Something from that same day in a very different place.

Elk Viewing Point by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr